Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've played two skirmishes so far and the first one was a disaster, got destroyed by the AI. Second one already went a lot better and I won with no casualties and things started to make a bit more sense. I love this so far, it feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I have a really minor UI suggestion: when setting up battles, it would be nice if the MAP and MOOD dropdowns were swapped around. Currently mood is at the top but because mood is map-dependent it therefore resets if you pick a mood then pick a map.

Of course it's possible this is all placeholder anyway, but this particular arrangement seems the wrong way around to me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

kingcom posted:

Warhammers are going to be in and I think everyone agrees PPCs need a bit of a damage buff so fingers crossed.

Would making PPCs 60 damage do the trick? I've got some use out of them currently but it does seem like a single 50-damage weapon with a big heat impact can be pretty underwhelming.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I tried getting MW4 Mercs to run on Windows 10 the other day, at some length, and eventually gave up. Looks like recent Nvidia drivers broke what little compatibility still existed.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gwaihir posted:

The MekTek version of MW4 Mercs works just fine for me on Win10 + Nvidia card.

That's the one I tried to get working by following the steps here and elsewhere, since it had worked for me on Windows 7 or whatever a few years back. No joy. Doesn't recognise the video card and if I try to emulate a different card using dgvoodoo2 it gives me entirely different error messages but is equally broken.

Honestly if anyone here has advice I'd love to hear it, because I'm itching to play more mech stuff rather than just caning the beta.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 9, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Phrosphor posted:

Double post, but I wanted to share this. There is some really cool little effects in this build:

https://i.imgur.com/NXtxiSQ.mp4

I am talking about the lightning bolt ricocheting off the rock as the shot skims it. Looks really cool.

This rules.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zaodai posted:

Well we discussed that in Discord too. But the illusion of choice there (because it doesn't actually require you to do anything for the good guys to lose except not help them) makes it feel more like you're part of an actual conflict. My original recommendation was that you just throw in some of the random mission generator missions in the name of the bad guy. If you truly don't have to do anything but not help their enemy for them to win, then can throw in plenty of easy stuff that doesn't actually take much dev time to just add the option of not being a standard white bread "heroic" merc company that is all too common in BT lore. Only being able to back one side in the conflict basically makes it far less interesting (to me) from a story perspective, because then why do I care? You're telling me in advance who I'm supposed to support and care about just because the story says they're the good guys, so why would I be invested in that? I (the player) don't have a say in it beyond choosing not to play.

I'm all but certain that they've actually said this sort of thing will happen anyway - if you ignore the Arano Restoration missions, the Directorate wins eventually and starts offering you random missions for them too, in the persistent campaign.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zaodai posted:

Given that everybody has taken to cropping out the part of my responses where I'm specifically not asking for a giant, multi-story branch campaign and instead am asking for a text box or two and a couple event flags to allow for some player agency, I'm just going to stop.

Tbh I think what you're saying is very reasonable and I get why you're saying you'd prefer it. I replied earlier while still a bit sleepy and missed some of what you were saying, I think.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Thomas would have been a Black Hundred.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Quite a bit of footage of the campaign layer here. It looks great, predictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiPxCS1yvs

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Not having seen his streaming before, Cohh's stream is actually a lot of fun and he's showing off the game pretty well I think. Also very receptive to being given tips by his chat etc, to the point where he's getting fairly competent at the game 6 hours in. Impulsive mistakes aside.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Antilles posted:

He appears to be learning though, at the start of the recent stream he had read several helpful tips and spent like 30 mins going through his mechs and adding armor, re-jiggering weapons loadout and all that good stuff, and seems to be getting a better eye towards fine-tuning his weapons (i.e. after a mission he's usually "ok, this mech needs a bit more heatsinks, this needs more AC/20 ammo" etc).

Aye, he's definitely learning. He's now at the same point I definitely went through in the Mechwarrior games: experimenting with the mech designs to make frankly rubbish mechs but at least based on thinking about the mechanics, even if the conclusions reached aren't correct. Like his single-PPC high-armour Griffin which he insists is a sniper mech but has less armament than a stock Panther and as much armour as his close-in brawler mechs. Dropping the LRM for heat efficiency and adding armour wasn't the worst idea but it's created an essentially dead weight mech compared to even the stock setup.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I played a whole bunch of the backer beta's skirmish mode so I'm confident that I'll enjoy the battles, but what's got me really excited is how solid the merc campaign looks. The basic loop of taking missions to get cash to pay your pilots and repair/upgrade your company looks really compelling, and with a good variety of missions and generally not too predictable enemy forces to go up against.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been thinking a bit about the way the salvage and repair system works in-game, and what isildur (I believe it was isildur anyway?) previously said about wanting to make the post-release Ironman option perma-destroy your own mechs when they have their centre torso destroyed rather than letting you repair them up without much difficulty. It remains to be seen in actual experience, but having watched the Cohh stream with his repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt Blackjack at little more cost to him than repair time and some cash, I did wonder if it would be worth having customisable difficulty options for this kind of thing. Kind of like all the secondary difficulty options in Crusader Kings 2 where you can decide how deadly epidemics will be, or XCOM's custom difficulty settings. The way I was envisaging it is that maybe having one of your mechs cored isn't a total destruction of it, but gives you a guaranteed salvage part just like a cored enemy mech (one that doesn't count towards the contract salvage). That would make it more punishing to lose a mech but you could still rebuild it (at much greater cost) further down the line. Maybe even make it give 2 of 3 salvage parts so you have a head start on cobbling together your own wrecked mechs rather than the enemy's. Perhaps all four levels - just needs repairs, 2/3 parts, 1/3 parts, full destruction - could go each be part of the custom difficulty. Idk, maybe all of this has been considered already. But personally I'd enjoy experimenting with these sorts of things at some point down the line, just like I did with stuff like Training Roulette in XCOM.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Impermanent posted:

what effect do the different chassis have? How do I start understanding this game.

Basically each stock mech is designed to fulfill a specific role or combination of roles (and does so to varying degrees of success). The game is quite friendly to the player in this regard since it'll always tell you what a mech's basic role is the first time you acquire one, and you can also check the description for their stock combat role at any time too. So it'll say things like "Sniper/Fire Support" or "Close-Range Brawler", that kind of thing, that help you figure out what the general role of the mech is. I think it's easier to get to grips with than it might appear, especially in the campaign since you start out with a small number of distinct mechs and gradually encounter more as you go on.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2018

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's a very good puzzle game with very solid mechanics but its puzzle nature means it scratches an entirely different itch from Battletech, in spite of having mech type things in it too.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Internet Explorer posted:

I really wish someone was streaming some more Battletech. :(

A guy called Sidestrafe has been streaming 9 hour chunks each day but he's honestly infuriating so I tapped out quite quickly even though I just had him on in the background. Extremely bad at the game and - unlike Cohh - unwilling to take any advice or learn. Suffers from analysis paralysis so a mission that took Cohh 30 minutes takes him literally 2 hours, with 5 minutes spent pondering each mech's movement at the start of the mission. Etc etc. But if you're really starved for Battletech Stream Content, knock yourself out:

https://www.twitch.tv/sidestrafe/videos/all

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So infuriating, and so, so wrong. An HBS person really needed to step in and tell him that he was wrong about so many assumptions he, or commenters on his stream, made. Such as your drop weight affecting the difficulty of the mission. So absurdly hard to watch.

I didn't get that far in but that does sound like something he'd latch onto and be convinced of in the face of all evidence. He'd already had a couple big rants complaining about people giving him advice in the stream chat before I took my leave.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

DeepThrobble posted:

Yeesh, stopping that sort of misinformation is why I posted Cohh's stream here. I've only watched a bit of the other guy's stream, but he seemed to be on good terms with the NGNG guys. Could they step in so Mitch can concentrate his yelling at the HBS team at this critical time, or is NGNG part of the problem too?

NGNG don't really seem that interested in the game, weirdly. They have access but have barely streamed any of it and for all of their pre-existing Battletech knowledge (and experience with the backer beta) I found them to be worse than Cohh for decision-making and presentation. And one of them kept alt-tabbing the game to check his slack messages which was really offputting to watch, even as someone who's already committed to wasting several hours in the day watching streams of an unreleased game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing weird about it, NGNG are PGI's marketing department, they're not being paid to hype another company's game.

Well that does make more sense then.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been skipping and skimming through Beaglerush's stream and the mission at around 8 hours 12 minutes in this vod is really, really good. The game seems to generate really dramatic and exciting missions with ease.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Cardiac posted:

So this will be a turn based version of Mechcommander?
Still got the original booklet from that game.

Essentially, with the extra mechanical depth afforded by being turn-based and with significantly more to the whole 'running a merc company' aspect.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Other reviews, a lot more positive all round:

Eurogamer (Recommended)
PC Gamer (85/100)

Very positive Polygon impressions here.

3 hours left and we can all fill our boots.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Malek Deneith posted:

I've got to ask. To anyone who did Smithon Liberation mission (the one that should lead to consulting with LosTech expert or whatnot), what mechs did you take? Because after four or five tries I'm starting to wonder if I'm just capital B Bad, or is my Vindicator/Shadow Hawk/Griffin/Dragon just plain too squishy to make it through, and I need to grind side contracts to get better gear.

I had a Dragon, Shadow Hawk, Centurion, and Trebuchet. The last two were specced as LRM boats. Indirect fire won me that mission, also managing to take out 3 enemy mechs with an environmental explosion.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Shadow Hawk properly outfitted is the star of the show for a long time. I refitted mine to have an SRM4 in the head, SRM6 and SRM4 in the torso, kept the medium laser in the arm, and gave it a small laser for extra melee punch. Put the rest of the tonnage on armour and maybe one heatsink, I can't remember. This beast was the mainstay of my lance for a long, long time, able to brawl with most heavies and come out on top thanks to top-tier armour and really good damage output once I got some + SRM weapons. I was still using it until I got my first assault mech and had two heavies in the lance too, it was just that useful.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Eraflure posted:

Spoiler regarding one of the main mission's rewards:

Can you replace the Highlander's gauss rifle if it gets destroyed? I don't want to sit on it by fear of losing the only one I can get.

I honestly don't know, but: definitely don't keep the Highlander tucked away! It's an absolute beast of a mech and has effortlessly carried every mission I've had since getting it.

Eej posted:

What the heck is Called Shot Mastery and do I need it in my life

It's '18% chance to hit the head instead of 2%'. So yes, it's pretty good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've almost finished the main campaign and I'm having a blast with the game. A really good achievement especially on such a small budget and I have no regrets about backing it. That said, I do think it has a lot of room for improvement in several areas, and I don't think any of those areas are things mentioned by e.g. the sort-of-negative RPS review.

Some wishlisty things:

1. Ability to save mech loadouts
2. Ability to earmark a work order and then actually commit to it after coming back to the mechbay, or even better let you access the store directly from the mechbay
3. Ability to buy/sell more than one of each item at a time
4. Ability to drag and drop your mechs in the mechbay to re-arrange the ordering. This feels especially necessary once you have all three mechbays open

That's all fairly small quality of life stuff but it would add up to a nicer experience, I think

Also the game needs some bugfixing - nothing super dramatic in my experience, but there are some busted mission setups like spawning your mechs on the side of a cliff and having them trapped there. Occasionally your mechs can get stuck inside scenery when you move them (I got one stuck in a building that should have been destroyed when it walked through but wasn't, once). Also I'm not sure if it's a bug exactly but it does feel like some of the contracts that turn out to have reinforcements triggering the reinforcements too early, I think. I've had situations where the reinforcing lance comes in immediately, then when I finally kill everything at cost Darius says "I'm picking up incoming reinforcements" and then the mission ends immediately - suggesting that the arrival of a second full-strength lance was meant to be staggered somewhat rather than right from jump street. I'm not entirely against the sort of 'surprise flank' situations because sometimes dealing with those can be fun, but they should probably only show up on more difficult missions or the flankers should be a bit weaker as a rule.

Similarly, while I like what they're aiming for with the difficulty I think it could stand a fair bit of tweaking to get it into a sweet spot. Must be difficult because they have to account for everyone's slightly different situations but it seems like '2.5 skulls is a massive difficulty spike' is a pretty common refrain among players and it does feel like something could change there. I also don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with 'sometimes your intel is off' as a design principle, but the implementation could be refined because sometimes it just ends up feeling unfair. Perhaps the game should just emphasise that withdrawing is expected and normal? That might soften the blow.

It also feels like even in the late game it should be a bit easier to find easy missions if you want them. Might give you a reason to keep a lighter lance (I'm thinking mediums not lights) around even in the late campaign. And on that note I'd quite like a general sandbox mode without the Restoration/Directorate plotline for messing around in once I've completed the campaign. Just start you in a random system with random mechwarriors, sort of thing. Call it 'non-canon' if you want so you can just start out with a second Argo.

You might notice a theme in all of this which is really that I just want the game to be even better and to have more options. I hope it's a huge success so HBS actually have the finances to keep working on it because what we have already is great.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Soup du Journey posted:

So what do typical 5 skull missions look like? Mostly assaults and a few heavies sprinkled in?

I just did a 4.5 skull random mission to recover a memory core and the opposition was 4 assault mechs:

1x King Crab
1x Atlas
1x Victor
1x Battlemaster

I'd gone in kind of overconfident and had only 1 assault mech and 3 heavies (Highlander, Grasshopper, Thunderbolt, Catapult). It ended up going well, probably because I was able to focus the King Crab down before it fired a single shot at me. But boy that was a scary opfor.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've had plenty of bright and airy daytime missions so it's probably just bad luck with the random generation.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kenshin posted:

The AI kindly headshot a Dragon on the Panzyr story mission, so now I have a second Dragon.

I'm not really sure about the builds on these; I've been running them fairly close to stock but pulling the LRM5 off in favor of significantly more armor (100% on everything, in fact), and upgrading the AC to ++ versions.

Even if you do nothing else to them, the stock Dragons have more ammo than you'll ever need and if you pull that off you can add MGs or small lasers and more armour. At that point I decided to replace the LRMs with SRMs and put the change onto even more armour, making an excellent generalist and brawler for the midgame.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Flipswitch posted:

How are people building Dragons? I got mine but am struggling to fit it.

I ripped out the LRM, gave it SRMs instead and also machine guns and extra armour. Makes it a good brawler. You still have the AC5 for some long range weaponry, although you could take that out and go for more SRMs instead. Very respectable mech in that role, even if it's not spectacular. I had two Dragons as the mainstay of my lance for a while.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
LRMs become actually worthwhile rather than just a nuisance once you can put out more than 20 at a time in a single barrage.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, I'm really itching to play MW4 Mercs again. How well does it work on Windows 10 with a 360 controller? I haven't owned a stick in years.

MW4 Mercs is really difficult to get working on Windows 10 now, if not impossible for some people. Some nvidia driver update last year essentially broke it and makes it crash on startup. I spent some time trying to find a way around this but none of the suggested fixes worked for me or for several other people posting about it online.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Malek Deneith posted:

To be fair you made the only real choice you had here. Banshee is a terrible waste of tonnage.

The 3M seems pretty decent (or whichever one can mount more armament than a low-end medium mech).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone found a good system to buy stuff from or is it all luck based and campaign driven?

It's pot luck but you can stack the deck a bit by visiting systems with tags like manufacturing, black market, and former Star League presence (although this last one doesn't currently get you access to any lostech like you might hope it would at low chances).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SilverMike posted:

Yeah, no 'Mech should have extra heat capacity. (there's probably some bullshit tech in the tabletop game to prove me wrong)

There's some rare tech you can get in the game like Heat Banks which give you extra heat capacity and overheat threshold. Found one in a store once.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Azran posted:

Have you guys talked about this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8g7dxm/hbs_developer_update_ama_summarized/

This game may have a bright future ahead of it.

I'm really excited for the game's future. It's got a very solid base to work from.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xarbala posted:

It would be cool if more events popped up besides movie night, poker night, pirates, and triple F burg

Movie night and poker night at least make sense as repeated happenings and have lots of different outcomes for the same options, flavour-wise, which is fun.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Roman Reigns posted:

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t sell or scrap my Dragon. I’ve only been on two missions with it and I’ve lost an arm in each. My only alternate heavy is a Quickdraw.

It's a serviceable brawler mech if you refit it. Strip out the LRM10 and the AC5, stick as many SRMs in the torso as you can, and some MGs or small lasers in the support hardpoints in the arms. Put the rest of the tonnage on armour. Bam, much better mech all round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
This sounds great. Exactly the sort of thing I wanted.