Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The LRM animations are a bit wonky at times but I'm loving the game. The Heavy Cavalry preset is loving nasty. It wrecked by victor, two catapults and a commando setup. I then tried the evasive atlas and two trebuchets and did ok, but the altas had seen much better days after.

As for the sensor locking+lrm spam issue, why not decrease the range per turn by a certain amount, at least in MP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Is the order of play of enemy mechs in the same phase fixed or randomised? Also AC10s to the back goddamn. loving ended a Victor too eager to wreck my suicide hunchbacks.

e; I was always a laser whore starting from playing MW2 at seven years old. AC10 is just too good. My poor poo poo PPC. :sigh:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 3, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Rocketpriest posted:

Centurions are the nice middle of the road okay at everything mechs they're supposed to be, and the Orion is Most of an Atlas, but you can bring two and a pair of Hunchbacks instead of just the one big skull man.

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment and it's pretty good. Hunchbacks are great for mauling poo poo and distracting enough so the Orions can do their thing relatively unmolested. The Orions in this setup are amazing with the multi-target pilots, who are the highest gunnery pilots as well. For the AI I split my Hunchbacks and Orions so they go after the hunchbacks who maul their front while the Orions snipe their backs with AC10s.

e; just throwing it out there, but does anyone here think lights (and lights only) should be able to attack, then move? Just a choice between move->attack and attack->move.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 3, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah in the Shadowrun games I was a little peeved at HBS to-hit probabilities but in Battletech it's annoying as gently caress. Anything less than 95% won't hit 90% of the time. And even at 95% it'll miss 25% of the time. And I know for a fact they don't have evasion. :argh: Maybe I'm just a supremely unlucky motherfucker.

e; What famous Battletech battle would go well with the Burnt Ivory King track. Been playing this in most of my skirmishes so far.

e2; Anyone here get a multiplayer-related survey? :wtc:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 3, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

I can almost guarantee you the problem is your brain trying to do pattern recognition on an inherently patternless RNG output. It's literally how humans are wired to work and totally alien to how RNGs produce output.

You can't fool me I've played all the Shadowrun games, anything less than 95% probability is done a d4 or higher dice, depending on the bracket. :downs:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 3, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

isildur posted:

1) the dice rolls are legit, but humans are bad at judging probabilities. I've proposed a thing that tweaks your expectations over time, and that might help, but we'll see if anyone thinks it's worth it.

I don't think it will work since there are negative modifiers whenever a target has moved.

Also, yeah include factors such as cover in the to-hit probability since that's the most obvious explanation. Explains a huge amount of Shadowrun. "But Duncan was supposed to miss 4-5/6 of his 99% shots in two turns because maths."

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 3, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

So I'm practicing my facing and positioning in order to get better at coming out relatively unscathed and it sorta works, only thanks to the dumb AI I suppose. Was playing stacks with a Light Battle lance vs the enemy's light assault. The enemy urbies just stayed out of line of sight until their mediums were dead. Maybe they were just expecting me to walk into their killzone and couldn't account for me hanging back?

Also melee can be utterly brutal sometimes. After wrecking the kintaro and defanging the hunchback, the hunchback just wipes a pristine RA and RT off one of my centurions in melee. By the way, does weight difference matter in melee contests?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

-now armless enemy Hunchback headbutts my Blackjack in the CT for a kill

My centurion did this to a pristine hunchback that had taken out both my arms and mauled it, but it was a headshot. :woop:

Also, is it just me or facing with a centurion, using the left arm as a shield, only make it more likely for an enemy to hit my precious right arm? I'm constantly losing my right arm (and my ridiculous ac-10) whenever I face in such a manner. Does the model shape affect what gets hit?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

If something shoots your 'Mech from the left side arc and hits your right arm, that's definitely a bug. The hit table looks like this:

"HitMechLocationFromRight" : [
{
"k" : "Head",
"v" : 1
},
{
"k" : "CenterTorso",
"v" : 4
},
{
"k" : "LeftTorso",
"v" : 0
},
{
"k" : "RightTorso",
"v" : 28
},
{
"k" : "LeftArm",
},
{
"k" : "RightArm",
},
{
"k" : "LeftLeg",
},
{
"k" : "RightLeg",
}

Is there code for facing at an angle? Also the Jenners run way too hot lol.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 6, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Not sure what you mean about facing angles, the game ignores torso twisting entirely really. The only thing that should matter are the 4 quadrants you see when you have a mech selected.
When you get shot, one of them will be highlighted in red to show which angle your getting shot from. Similarly, when you're choosing a movement option, it will highly on enemy mechs to show you which arc you'll shoot them from.

In this shot, not that it's really questionable where I'm getting shot from, but you can see the front arc is highlighted on my Battlemaster.

Thanks for this, I should really pay more attention to the icons on the enemy mech, since I missed that both the enemy hunchbacks were bulwarked. :downs: Also, I had my hunchback 4P generate zero heat with alpha strikes while in water. Even with water that can't be right, can it? Reminded me of my old MLAS spam days in MW2 and mercs (or SPLAS spam on THAT loving mw2 mission where you're thrown in front of a Warhawk doing the same).

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Headshot a pristine Orion who is set to gently caress up my flanked Hunchback. :haw:

Enemy Urbie headshots my pristine Centurion in return. :negative:

Also, when doing called shots, does it just make it more likely for me to hit that part? Sometime on called shots I hit other parts of the mech.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 7, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

The stacks is great to learn how to keep your mechs out of direct line of sight. Managed to keep all my mechs bar my sensor bitch lose virtually only half armor and the only structure damage was due to heat bar the last enemy mech getting a final hit off, which hit the internals of only one section, out of three mechs. My commando sensor bitch might have not been mauled to poo poo if I wasn't too aggressive and sprinted more. I'm learning at least.

I've never played tabletop, but I'm assuming armor is easier to repair than structure?

One issue I have with seeing hit chances is that I can't see hit chances on any positions that I can move to, bar the one that I'm currently on or the one that is closest to the hostile mech. If I could hold down a button that could let me see the hit chances and pivot in between those two spots it would be amazing.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 8, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I've altered the Medium Support lance to include a hunchback with the evasive ability and a panther sensor bitch, downgrading the catapult to a trebuchet. I really like it, but even though I'm minimising armor loss on my mechs I'm losing a good bit of structure due to heat issues. For the BT pros here, what's the normal amount of structure (% of total) that you guys lose in your mechs on average after a skirmish?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Make the open-ended single player campaign have a famous character of the day be your opponent but pull a :darksouls: on it and have another player be hauled in to command the lance Old Monk/Church Spears style! :getin:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Great Beer posted:

Evasive rebalance chat: instead of a passive skill, make it something that's activated for your initial movement. It functions exactly like the Move action but provides a penalty to your shooting, should you choose to shoot after activating it. So it's still very useful but now has a drawback like the other pilot skills.

Just let the Evasive skill allow a dude to shoot after sprinting maybe? Might force a SRM boat to go out further than he'd like to gain evasive, or expose himself. I really like the penalty to shooting idea though.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I'm hopeless, I only just figured out how to hit and run with light's using the reserve button. :cripes: They really need to show you how to do it in a future tutorial in the single player campaign, for the dumbs like me. Also, is there a height difference penalty for mechs shooting other mechs that are on hills? I felt that moving my light up onto a hill was suicide, but that was before I figured out how to use phases properly. :downs:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I've squeezed a Jagermech into a light lance and I'm loving my kitey lance (Jagermech, Centurion, Urbie and a locust as sensor bitch). The four ACs loving obliterate light mechs, but the lance isn't that great on close maps like River crossing. Maybe I just need to improve on my kiting. I've no idea how people manage the Locust challenge.

Psion posted:

Further proof of Centurion supremacy right here

maybe I should try a 4x Cent lance and see just how ridiculous it gets

I've tried 3x Cents and an evasive hunchback-4P on water maps and it's mean if you kite. Just be wary of tough-as-nails Orions who headshot you with their AC10. :cry:

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 26, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Amechwarrior posted:

If anyone is bored with the AI

I'm not, I suck poo poo. :saddowns: Tried the default Med battle lance vs the AI's Med Assault Lance. Drowned the hunchback with LRMs, got a headshot with an AC10, then even more LRMs. I was doing fairly well, but my urbie on the hill at river crossing got one shot as soon as the HB got into range. Then the hunchback and centurion mauled my centurion and trebuchet, while their Orion flanked mine. In the end, my armless, torsoless, weaponless trebuchet finally managed to take out the Orion with a sliver of health left and win the match.

Is perching on a hill basically suicide for a light, unless you're miles away? I wish there was a LOS bonus at least. Also I don't know why walking into water doesn't work half the time.

P.S. Anyone encounter a bug where the AI hits you with melee attacks at range? Felt like the AI had developed anime powers or some poo poo.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I preordered on steam, forgetting that I was a backer way back. Oh well, can't wait! :toot:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

Mitch has said that you can upgrade the argo to have simulator pods, so you can have rookies in training to level them up before they hit the field.

As I have found from my LP, low skill pilots are pretty crap. A 2/2/2/2 pilot dies easy, can't hit a barn, falls over a lot and doesn't have any idea what is attacking him until he can see it.

Excellent. One of the major reasons I savescummed in vanilla XCOM was because rookies were a pain to bring into a team late-game and mess up your established comp, so you don't tend to train rookies which make a veteran loss crippling (bad management on my part yeah). So having a passive trainer to make them not hot garbage from the get-go is a good addition. I've watched your LP and jesus are those pilots bad. Really hope there'll be a merc mode like Phrosphor's LP after the story is done, or something similar.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I've never actually played super robot wars, apart from a battle moon wars knock off over a decade ago that made no sense, but was pretty good. Might check it out, as I'm currently playing Vandal Hearts at the moment and will finish it in about a week. Need that tactical RPG poo poo injected directly into my veins.

Also, I was watching Phrosphor's Let's Play videos and after he gets a nice hit on a firestarter, he mentions trying to get more headshots with indirect LRM fire. I do remember called shots getting "blocked" by other parts that were in between the part you called and your mech. I'm wondering if the same principle applies to the direction the LRMs are coming form (more likely to hit the head through indirect fire).

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

The recommended system specs are a bit :eyepop: RAM-wise, but luckily I upgraded for KcD. Gotta wait a month though. :smith:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Took a peek at the Steam page, looks like the system requirements got taken down a notch since I last played. Hooray for actually being able to play this game I dropped $85 on, even if it's on Medium settings.

I was so excited for this I preordered it immediately when it came out on steam, forgetting that I was a backer lol.

Wondering if I can just give the backer-key to PTN as a reward in his LP or something.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

From Shithawk to Shadowhawk.

Awesome! Hope the stats of the Shadowhawk still allow for that on release. I never tried this in the beta so I'm not sure whether or not this is possible, but can you slam a bunch of small lasers on a mech and have them all fire after a melee? Or will it only fire one support weapon?

And here's hoping HBS take inspiration from your thread and have Comstar throw a shithawk surprise at us, maybe in another game or with some DLC down the road.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

To a degree - Small Lasers are now a Support Weapon and can only be fitted in a Support Weapon slot; they cannot go in an Energy Weapon slot. So you cannot just go ham adding two dozen SLs to a mech.

Oh well, that's my MW2: Mercs strategy out the door! :downs: But yeah, seems like that melee strategy will go to town on some lights in the early game regardless, can't wait to try it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The Mad Dog and the Hellbringer got me through most of mw2, which is why they hold a special place in my heart.

Two LRM20s + two ERPPCs baby! Worked pretty much perfectly outside the trials and one mission where you start with a Warhawk in your face.

Looking at the mech list and it seems a little light, but hopefully more mechs will come out in another game. Also, I looked up the Clint and Whitworth after another poster mentioned a lack of 40 tonners and I have to ask, why are some stock mechs hilariously under-gunned compared to others in the same weight class?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I've played MW2 using dosbox and it runs perfectly. Bit of a pain to set up though.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I heard from a dude that the Shadowrun combat AI has sliders and other technical whatsits to GM you a lot, enemies getting harder to hit and being more accurate when your squad was pristine and easing off when you were in trouble. Apart from the :xcom: probabilities I didn't notice this, so I'm wondering whether this is true or not. I heard Mike in the latest stream mention making stuff harder if you were having a good run, or something to that effect so I'm a little anxious. I wouldn't mind coming up against a campaign like Phrosphor's Shithawk Surprise if I was raking in salvage and C-Bills for ages, but affecting the hit chances in a fight if I'm doing well seems a little bullshit to me. Hopefully it's all in my head but still. :ohdear:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I'm guessing isildur will have snuck an Easter egg in there, otherwise I'm revoking the gently caress out of her goon card fyi

Refunding if there's no squawking shithawk contract. :colbert:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Would it be wrong to burn a sick day to play battletech?

I was enjoying the my first day of unemployment and looking forward to playing Battletech for 10 hours straight every day for the forseeable future, when today HR rang me and offered to keep me on for a couple more weeks in a different job. I accepted. :negative:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Anyone else here have an experience in being an idiot like me, getting a backer key AND preordering on steam? :doh: If I cancel the preorder, the backer key should work fine, yes? If install the preorder before putting in the backer key, can the backer key be used at all (even by someone else)?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

vvv At 6 Pips you are basically Phantom Meching this poo poo.

Yeah, Sidestrafe got completely chewed up by Ecks because the Firestarter (the real MVP) and the Jenner were just loving impossible to hit at 5+ pips with his shooty lance, with the firestarter still being able to gently caress poo poo up with like <5 structure in its centre torso, as it still had a flamer + MG running. Yeah, I'm taking a master tac shadowhawk or something similar to punch the poo poo out of any lights in multiplayer.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I'm pre-loaded and all ready. From Sidestrafe's stream I'm not seeing many PPC and it really seems that AC10s are king, but I'll do my best to field as many PPCs mechs :hellyeah: and melee mechs :black101:* as I can!

*Why is there no Axeman in the game goddamn.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

I just spent €60 on a logitech mouse and keyboard combo so I could play this on a comfy couch in the living room with my steam link. It's amazing, but the text is so tiny! Can anyone advise on what resolution I should be using for a 32"?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

peer posted:

Here's a thing I appreciate that I rarely see in games: if you wipe out everyone on the map, you don't have to run all the way to the extraction point

You just gave me flashbacks to Vandal Hearts when I upgraded people to the slowest unit possible.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

(also the first post-tutorial mission is the most brutal you'll run into for a while)

I find the ideal play is taking out the turrets in the second-to-third round, with risking (not really) dekker spotting the generator while the rest JJ onto the nearest rock from the spawn point with line of sight to kill it. Your JJ lance is there to help you.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

also is there a good way to just check how much heat a mech generates on an alpha strike and compare that to how much heat it sinks per round? the "heat efficiency" bar seems vague to me

The one very minor issue I have with the game so far. I can't easily tell between being heat neutral and overheating.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

So, starting Mechs refit.

SHADOWHAWK: 1AC/5, 2*SRM4, 1ML, maxed frontal armor.
I'm considering removing something to stick 1SL in, but I'm not sure what, possibly 1JJ?
BLACKJACK: 2*AC/5, 2*ML, removed JJ and HS, raised armor (but not maxed it) - I'm considering putting a LL instead of the second AC/5 to add some more armor and a few JJ though, direct fire sniping is rough with low mobility on certain maps.
VINDICATOR: 1PPC, 1LRM10, maxed frontal armor.
SPIDER: removed some JJ to raise armor, but I still kept most of them to avoid getting trapped (it's not always evident which parts of the environment block los, at a glance).

Here's what I'm doing pre-Argo. I've yet to do the mission myself.

SHADOWHAWK: I kept the default fit, it does ok as a firing line mech, but I'll definitely consider your SRM fit. I want to keep Behemoth though, for guts 1/tactics 2 and some LRM fun.
BLACKJACK: I went AC5 and LL, adding a heatsink. LL doesn't have the AC5 range though and it still runs hot-ish, but I keep the JJs.
VINDICATOR: Yeah I'm gonna do what you do. :v:
SPIDER: Got a Jenner. :c00l:

Cowcaster posted:

to elaborate so someone can correct me if i’m wrong, the theory is a bracket build is “dangerous at all ranges”, where in practice it’s “equally ineffective at all ranges”

As evilmiera said, it's good at removing evasion on multiple targets. Hell, you might even hit your target as an added bonus.

e; to be honest though, I wish that your targets lost 2 evasion if you fired 6+ weapons at it or something.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 26, 2018

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Oh man, I was playing on my first martian map (which is a bit deserty), while playing the MW2: Mercs soundtrack, because the soundtrack for the game is the only thing I find underwhelming. All of a sudden this starts to play and I flashback to the New Ivaarsen campaign in MW2: mercs where you're bait for an assault lance in the middle of a sandstorm. It was martian terrain and I was only fighting lights, but close enough to awaken my nostalgia. :v:. I feel all comfy now. :3:

Here's a dude's Let's Play of the New Ivaarsen Campaign. The start.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Man I love having this centurion LRM boat, no kidding they are fun. 2x LRM 15, 1x LRM 10 and 3 ammo, everyone gets all the missles on their head forever. Bonus that he has the plus one initiative and can knockdown most anyone by himself

I think I'll stick with an LRM 25 on my cent with some backup weapons, if I salvage another brawler to refit it to a LRM boat.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

What niche do PPCs have, besides one for comedy shot difficulty debuff I guess?

Yeah I dislike the fact that it's an extremely hot AC5, which doesn't even have the same range as a LRM. I'd be ok with it's tonnage and heat if it was accurate and had slightly longer range. gently caress the debuff, I know next to gently caress all about the accuracy debuff anyway. How many rounds does it last? If it's only to the end of the current round it's useless, since your PPC carriers are reserving till the end for others to depip the enemy.

NmareBfly posted:

Hm I wonder which I should buy :thunk:

it's both

Woah you got a King Crab already?! :eyepop: