Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The American West is a fantastic landscape largely untouched as games' settings go and I hope that this game at least dips down into the Tetons and Yellowstone, depending on how big a world they're gonna make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
True to real life, this game better feature fifty different varieties of camo and cowboy hats for your character to wear

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

it kinda wasnt dude

Its message was "Ken Levine is an enormous hack" and it delivered that message perfectly.

If they want to make these guys all insane racists (and, of note, they ought to have taken them down to the Deep South or Eastern Texas to really soak up that goodness) then they shouldn't half-rear end it like Bioshock did. It's loving hilarious that the only racial slur actually uttered by the racists of Columbia is "Patty-O'Malley" to refer to Irish people.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

they didnt want to make them insane racists just normal racists my dude sorry the video game didnt attempt to validate your worldview

They wanted them to be racist "but not too racist" because they didn't want anyone to think that THEY were being racist

They made them whitewashed racist.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

scrubs season six posted:

Richard Spencer is from Montana.

You do get all sorts of odd ducks up north. Most folks I'd say aren't really racist so much as they're really badly educated.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

please describe your ideal video game racist

hell if you tweet it to they might even be able to squeeze them into fc5 for you

I think I'll let somebody more eloquent explain the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4&t=77s

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

That wasn't the message at all. The politics were a backdrop to a story about how you and comstock and all other dewitts are a loving scourge no matter what reality you're in and so elizabeth decides to smother you. The revolutionaries are shown doing bad poo poo and being less than the sum of its parts but that's not loving surprising, it just mirrors real life, and isn't a value judgement but a gameplay and marketing choice lol

Bioshock Inifnite is a tesseract of stupidity, but primarily the idea that in a world of infinite universes, every single Comstock always turns out exactly the same, with the exact same events leading into it, and that's nonsensical and flies in the face of all the other poo poo. Elizabeth's actions at the end of Infinite should have in no way accomplished what she said it would accomplish and indeed, based on the very last scene of the game, it didn't.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

honestly the stories about Bioshock infinite's development make me wish we just got whatever version came out for that pre-release footage. That poo poo seemed to be way more on the nose about racism and white nationalism. So much got changed so often, ken levine is insane and he was dealing with publishers who wanted a game that could be marketed to a wide audience, not a political statement from some bougie liberal with some nerd clout

The pre-release Infinite had much more interesting gameplay concepts, such as Elizabeth having powers that Booker could interact with to cause damage and stuff like that. It seemed like a big revolutionary expansion of the ideas presented in Bioshock 1 and then, very quietly, that all got closeted, Elizabeth was made a Disney princess and the game got turned into Call of Duty.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, you are extremist 20 charisma guy who creates cults or cult of personalities in every reality except the one where you turn alcoholic. He gathers the poo poo extreme of society (capitalist or randian brand capitalist) that is backlashed against by the lovely people he brought there making power plays.

I never understood the "herp derp both sides are bad though" argument. Were you looking for the good guy faction in the dystopian timelines games?

The most outright evil action of the game is the killing of a child, which is done in cold blood by a slave/servant of the ruling class-cum-revolutionary war leader.

It's actually the best part of the game, for that matter, as she's the only character who has an arc that's developed in any way, or particularly related to the setting. Comstock, by virtue of being a prophet, is basically Above It All, and most of the other side characters are incidental or just flat villains. The lady revolutionary is a product of abuse, and when the power finally shifts to her favor, she falls into temptation to behave exactly as she's been taught. It suggests that violence depicts violence into perpetuity.

...which would be really cool if this wasn't a first person shooter that has gruesome melee murder animations where I seize upon a uniformed police officer's skull and hack his face open with a buzz saw.

Bioshock Infinite is an insanely stupid game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Its almost as if the protagonist you play isn't a good guy.

"The moral of the story is violence is wrong. Now, check out how awesome all this violence is!"

Bombadilillo posted:

The plot is that who YOU are is capable of whats bolded in your stuff. That IS the point.

But none of my choices matter. Even if I don't rip people's faces off, I still have to murder massive amounts of people, and it doesn't matter at all if I am merciful incidentally to some.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Hasn't Far Cry been about fake locations? Why would they pick a real state, in a real country?

I mean, if they wanted to go that route I can't think of a better location that Libya, or Syria.

MGSV did Afghanistan, so they probably wanted to do a setting not really used recently. This also lets them one-up Rockstar with the Western setting, unless the release date is still way off.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Why is choice that matters suddenly important in this game? It did matter in Bioshock unless you think "murder a child" vs "save a child" gave you a satisfying amount of choice. Also the moral isn't "violence is wrong"

Bioshock's "morality system" was a major marketing point and was heavily hyped leading up to its release. It was certainly intended to be a big deal, even if the choice is actually heavily stacked in favor of one over the other...kind of obviously.

Infinite decided to improve the flawed moral choice system by taking it out entirely.

The moral "violence is wrong" applies to the leader of the Vox's story arc specifically. Daisy. It's an incongruous message given the gameplay, like...pretty much all the other ones are.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

I think people who actually care about things are pathetic.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

The guy in Montana who punched a reporter yesterday won the special election tonight.

You can't buy timeliness like that.

This surprises nobody who knows anything about Montana, I suppose.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I like the Pastor as a character, if that's the main dude I'd be kind of down; that said, both that one and the girl one have this very uncomfortable switcharound when both characters go from being sentimental to extremely vicious, where I am intended to feel kind of pumped up and excited.

I did get excited when Jeff Bridges mechanic put a gatling gun on a plane, because that suggested that I can fly a loving crop duster around and shoot at meth-addled militia men. That could be a reason to play another Farcry game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I could see this working so far back as the '90's. Like, with cell phones and Facebook there's no way you could have a clandestine takeover of a county by religious extremists, the viral video would tank it all. But before then, if you had key members of the county authority: Sheriff, all of the commissioners, probably the biggest city's chief of police and his whole retinue, and most of the mayors or town council leaders, then sure, you could kind of quietly over time assert this power and start vanishing people from view without much hubbub.

Problem is gonna be when you have helicopters shooting missiles around Buckwheat County Montana, in a contemporary setting with smart phones, you're gonna beggar belief.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

more games need to take place in the way-out parts of america instead of new york / LA / etc.

Agreed, the U.S. has some truly spectacular vistas and locales that'd make for great gameplay setpieces.

The Southwest alone is basically home to nearly every biome except for jungles.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, they are waving actual crosses around though, are they not Christians then?

That's dumb, it's Bioshock Infinite all over again. I'll admit, I'm also disappointed; if they wanted to make an interesting statement, having "bad people killing in Christ's name" as a premise would be something a lot of people can relate to.

But no, just shallow trappings to sell a game that's likely nothing more than a remake of the previous game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Library is great on co-op because you're usually killing all the bad guys quickly and not spending ten minutes chasing down one last little Flood guy on your own, only to then realize you've spun yourself around eight times and you end up going back the way you came for awhile because the entire level looks the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hal_2005 posted:

Farcry 5 needs

- Raging midwest poverty
- Abandoned manufacturing plants caused by globalization
- Unionized schools where the students are taught nothing productive, teachers do not give a gently caress
- Constant propaganda and nostalga about the 1950's
- Cheese curds and Cheese Steak references
- Cherry Coke
- Some idiot redneck who is youtubing his dad's gun collection.
- Edgy liberal youths who want to run an ANTIFA on the local sheriff's office.
- Obese 1488 Neo-Nazi's who perpetually clean their Mosin's at the comic book shop
- A reference to a dead internet comedy forum which was created by a guy from Nebraska
- A crystal meth running operation
- A reference to "The South"
- A local oligarch who claims he's Democrat and progressive but is actually from an Old Dixie slaver family & involved in sex trafficking / cocaine running.
- An ending scene where the FBI decides the town is a terrorist enclave and calls in APC's to burn the town to the ground. Town surrenders. President of the USA decides to burn down the town anyways to push a surveillance state agenda. Thelast scene of the game involves FBI agents gunning down everyone in front of your character, followed by a good ol' curbstomping.

It'd be nice to have a few different factions with actually differing objectives to support for various reasons. They did this really lazily in Farcry 4 but I'd like to see an open-world game that reflects your impact on the power dynamics of the region (besides just conquering it)

• Locked thread