Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway I'm really excited to see the team with an insanely good defensive corps but injured offence take on the team with insanely good forwards but injured defence. I think that Nashville takes it because their defence is more thorough than Pittsburgh's offence, but that my just be me wishing upon the glowing star that is PK Subban.

Side question: assuming nothing in the finals changes this, which player from each team would get the Conn Smythe? I assume Rinne for Nashville, but I have no idea who would get it for Pittsburgh now that Murray has supplanted Fleury.

Malkin is closing in on 20 points in these playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And now ironically the team most associated with brown and yellow are the Penguins.

why are you still so mad lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Everything in Pittsburgh was really cheap too which was great. I wouldn't mind visiting again for sure. I was there in November, and only for a night, but it seems like it'd be a fun place to visit in the summer. I want to see a game at PNC park since baseball stadiums on the water usually rule.

One of the great things about living here is that if you make over 100k, you can live like a lordling

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

I think the Preds offence should be fine. I know it was only two games, but they managed fairly okay vs. Anaheim in games 5 & 6, and their defence is light years better than Pittsburgh's​.

Yeah but Pittsburgh's offense is light years ahead of healthy Nashville's, let alone an injured one

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

No doubt the series will boil down to Nashville's defence vs. Pittsburgh's offence, and I'd take the better defence every time.

You must not watch the Penguins then, bc they don't play defense at all really, and win many games

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's amazing how many people who watch and follow hockey still believe in TYOOL 2017 that defense is only played by defensemen.

Earnestly discussing whether or not the Pens actually play defense wasn't the point of my post :tipshat:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Defense always wins against offense, just ask the CBJs, Caps and Sens

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

They had 5 goals on 11 shots lmao how is that even real?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Loqieu posted:

37 minutes between shots is a winning strategy all NHL teams will now copy.

Just a reminder but they've been seriously outplayed in every series, and it doesn't seem to matter.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

MAF is an enigma wrapped in a riddle

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Man, the four best defensemen in the NHL sure let up an assload of 2 on 1's.

Looks like the Preds learned that they can't get too aggressive, or they're gonna get swept

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

[in Confucius voice] He who talks the most is the one who is owned 99.9% of the time

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

This game has a pass off pad and the gay slapfight is dominating play

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Primanti's is perfect late night drunk food. Idk when or why you'd eat it in other contexts

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Has anyone asked him how it felt to have a Pens player break his only relevant NHL record?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Reminder that most irl Yinzers are working poor and under-educated, so check out all these cool posters flying their cool classist flags

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

iospace posted:

Serious question here: why were you at any point worried about losing to the Caps?

Winning a game 7 at home? Hell yeah I was, that's been a thing for the Pens

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The ironic Sidney dicksucking by the bitter other countries posters upthread is really delicious here at the 2nd intemission where it's already 6-0

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kilza posted:

So after the Pens with home ice advantage took a 2-0 lead at home, the Preds tied the series up at 2-2 then the Pens blew them out in Game 5.

Hmm, that sounds an awful lot like the 2009 Stanley Cup Final, except back then the Wings had home ice advantage over the Pens. And the Pens won Games 6 and 7 in 2009 after that blowout. And now the Preds have a chance to do the same thing. Hmmmmm...

Yeah but the Preds let Ron loving Hainsey dunk on them, so I wouldn't get your hopes up

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Dark Crosby ftw.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Reminder that the awesome Smashville D got posterized by Ron Hainsey tonight

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I can't stop watching and laughing

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Nashville strategy:

Let the Pens get to such a lead that it results in Hainsey scoring. Take the lopsided loss.

Next two games: 30+ minutes of Hainsey on the ice. Results in the Preds dominating play.

Checkmate, solid strategy. Right ? ......Right?

Idk if getting so mad that you start taking 5 minute majors is a good strategy for them, especially after letting Phil Kessel get going for the 1st time in the series.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/8729...enguins-game%2F

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Hey guys, I can't stop thinking about James Neal leaving his feet to sandwich and crush a Pens defenseman with Mr Carrie Underwood, getting deked, the watching Ron loving Hainsey go coast to coast on 'em.

It's still the funniest thing of the SCF

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Kessel was robbed last year and I hope he scores a hat trick in game 6 and somehow gets his do-over Conn Smythe right from under Crosby

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I thought last week that you guys TKO'd that guy when you got him posting like 30 replies per page, but you nerds seem determined to lose at this point.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The Pittsburgh Penguins Are Back to Back Stanley Cup Champions

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

rear end to rear end Stanley Cup Champions.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I hear the Pittsburgh Penguins have won the Stanley Cup, confirm/deny

Yeah, the guy the Preds traded to Pittsburgh for James Neal with the GWG ftw

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ron Hainsey will have his name on the cup.

PK Subban will not

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bet you're especially happy about that one, huh?

Yes, it's very funny that the hated guy won the cup (and Conn Smythe), and the the shittalker lost. It's.... how do the french say? Ironique

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Okay now wait a second.

Yeah Tennessee is the south in the worst ways, but Pennsylvania is absolutely a hick state too.

You're such a blatant tryhard lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

How rude. Do you kiss your cousin with that mouth?

lol you are so basic

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

James Neal and Mr Underwood got posterized by Ron Hainsey who scored his only goal ever in the playoffs in a career of over 900 games played. They have to live with that forever.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

graph posted:

godspeed MAF. thanks for everything, pittsburgh will always love you :patriot:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

What Pittsburgh sports fan isn't used to hordes of losers complaining about refs? Seattle is still crying over a decade later too. Oakland, CA has been bitching for 5x as long. Just add Nashville to the list of broken heart, sore loser ref victim fraternity.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

I am a person who watches hockey once in a blue moon and I don't care who wins and I was really turned off by the officiating.

Me too. Pretty curious that after the botched no-goal call that Nashville was gifted 4 power play do-overs, but somehow for the 1st time in Penguins' playoff history (lol, that's a lot of games) they didn't get a single penalty in their favor. Nashville was robbed tho.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

TBeats posted:

I don't know if you're being serious or not or which way you are leaning but I know you watch football and calling five straight penalties on the defense wouldn't make me feel better if the offense got a TD taken away.

It's not comparable to football unless they started taking away players and it became 11 on 8 on the goal line. At one point Nashville had a 5 on 3 man advantage, which is essentially a gift of a goal that they failed to convert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

no, they have to beat the Blackhawks in the finals which is something Pitt has been unable to do for the last 25 years

Except for that SCF sweep the Pens handed them

• Locked thread