Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway I'm really excited to see the team with an insanely good defensive corps but injured offence take on the team with insanely good forwards but injured defence. I think that Nashville takes it because their defence is more thorough than Pittsburgh's offence, but that my just be me wishing upon the glowing star that is PK Subban.

Side question: assuming nothing in the finals changes this, which player from each team would get the Conn Smythe? I assume Rinne for Nashville, but I have no idea who would get it for Pittsburgh now that Murray has supplanted Fleury.

They already did the "eh, gently caress it, give it to Crosby" thing last year, so Malkin would be my guess unless Crosby goes apeshit in the Finals. Like 96% it's going to be Rinne if the Preds win.

The Dirty Burger posted:

God drat, how bad of a coach was Mike Johnston

He was the worst coach in NHL history (and no I'm not even excluding Barry Melrose or Patrick Roy) and it will forever be a mystery how in the hell he managed to get hired to coach an NHL team

e: Like there are plenty of bad coaches who you can at least look at and say, okay yeah, I can see how he at least looks and sounds like a hockey coach. Johnston was legendary not just for being a terrible coach but also for standing on the bench for 2+ hours, every single game, with a distant perplexed squinting look on his face like he's trying to remember where he left his car keys.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

dude wtf are you talking about

Don't ask me, I was firmly in the pro-Crosby camp. Ask the zillions of people who thought Kessel and/or Murray got jobbed :shrug:

All I'm saying is if there's no clear winner then they're probably not going to give it to the same dude they gave it to last year, even if he deserves it.

e: See also the fact Nicklas Lidstrom did not get 15 Norris Trophies

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Crosby's flat out the best player on the ice 100% of the time that he's out there. Was last year, still is this year, if the Penguins win the Cup he ought to get the Smythe again. But I doubt he will unless he finishes way ahead of the field on points, it's not just a hockey thing, award voters in all sports don't like giving an award to the same guy they gave it to last year.

fakeedit: The entire list of back-to-back Conn Smythe winners is: Bernie Parent and Mario Lemieux. Even Gretzky only got it in 2 of his 4 Cup years, Messier and a guy on the losing team got the other 2. When the Islanders won 4 straight Cups they gave the Smythe to 4 different dudes.

e: vvv Yeah and more recently Jordan's 6 Finals MVPs, basketball is definitely an exception. But then basketball is a MUCH more star driven sport than any other.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 26, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pittsburgh and Nashville are both cool and underrated cities

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I predict either Predators in 5 or Penguins in 7.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Jultz and Daley are both back, so at the very least the Pens can move the puck a bit. Matta it's bit of a wildcard but will probably play good enough, and Dumpling has been pretty solid. Cole is adequate, and Hainsey will hopefully not play much? All in all, not a top tier defense, but quite possibly enough to match up with the just as broken Nashville offense.

Sullivan insists on playing Hainsey 20 minutes a game and it's pretty frustrating

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

You must not watch the Penguins then, bc they don't play defense at all really, and win many games

It's amazing how many people who watch and follow hockey still believe in TYOOL 2017 that defense is only played by defensemen.

Anyway, have an amusing quote from the crack team of hockey experts at NBC Sports:

quote:

Now the guys from the place that calls itself “Smashville” have a chance to become the first franchise to win the Cup in its first try since Carolina did 11 years ago.

How DARE they forget the world famous "BBC" line of Rod Brind'Amour, Erik Cole and something called 'Bates Battaglia'!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The refs did an awesome job causing Conn Smythe Trophy Candidate Pekka Rinne to post a .556 save percentage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

They had 5 goals on 11 shots lmao how is that even real?

Well, one was an empty netter and Mattias Ekholm was kind enough to score another one for them, so.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

Pekka Rinne is definitely a goalie who does better when facing a lot of shots. To be honest he probably let that fourth one in because he wasn't as focused as he normally is. He'll bounce back

I have bad news for you friend, the Penguins are likely to continue to get outshot by wide margins

Last night was one of the most extreme lucky/unlucky playoff games I've ever seen for sure. Rinne let in two softies and Ekholm scored an own goal and the Preds' first goal got overturned on an offside. I feel like if that game could be played 50 times the Preds would win about 46 of them.

Obviously I find it cool and good that my team won, but if I were a Preds fan I'd still be feeling pretty good. Kinda reminds me of the 02 SCF when Carolina won game 1 in OT and everyone was all ITSHAPPENING.jpg and then the Wings crushed them in four straight.

Not saying Preds in 5 but the Pens are going to have to play way better to win 3 out of 6. That or hope the Preds stay in Full Caps Mode.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 30, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Plus, I can just put a predators jersey and Sully can attach his answer to a puck and give it to Hainsey and it'll find it's way to me almost immediately.

:drat:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would certainly hope the Penguins won't protect Maatta in the expansion draft, but I have a dreadful feeling they will.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I still like him. Also even if you think he's garbage I'm certain he's got way higher trade value than any other Pens d.

I'm pretty certain Vegas would not take him, which suggests he has zero trade value.

He's been bad for a while now, ever since the cancer really, and is also brittle. At this point it's pretty likely he is what he is, which is a borderline bottom pairing guy. Which if true makes his long contract a push at best, not the big bargain everyone thinks.

If anyone wanted to give up significant value for him I'd definitely make that move. He hasn't been much better than Hainsey and that's pretty bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

hifi posted:

like once a game someone shoots a dump in on net. sometimes it works

If I were coaching a team that was playing against MAF I'd have them do this 40 times a game and expect to score at least 5 goals

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

a false posted:

most goalies aren't good enough at puckhandling to play it off to the defense before you have time to forecheck

I think this part is wrong, at least at the NHL level. Most NHL goalies very much can play it off to their teammates very very quickly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's hard for any NHL team to beat any other NHL team except Colorado 4 games out of 5 so the Penguins are probably going to win the Stanley Cup.

I remember the '09 Finals, though, when the Wings won the first two games at home and looked completely in control. I also remember the 3-1 leads the Bylsma Pens blew against Tampa and the Rangers. It ain't over.

If the Penguins do win the Cup, I assume it's not allowed but MAF and Murray should probably share the Conn Smythe imo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm now hearing a hoarse Sullivan yelling "SHUT THE gently caress UP" and I like the Pens more already. :lol:

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-sullivans-success-as-penguins-coach-no-surprise-to-mentor/c-289707174

This is exactly what I've been saying I like so much about Sullivan since almost day one, and it's nice to hear Torts of all people confirming it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krime posted:

Hopefully Carl plays with a chip on his shoulder after getting healthy scratched for career ECHL'er in the SCF.

Hagelin is not healthy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kilza posted:

Can't wait for the 50 million tweets and articles about who should start between Fleury and Murray leading up to Game 4.

Came here to post this, drat you Kilza.

(It will be Murray)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens actually played pretty well imo and are not gonna miss chances like that again.

look at this guy who was in a coma from 2011 through 2014

(I know what you mean though... still don't like the whole only 20 shots in a game they trailed most of the way thing, however)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I was living in Raleigh in 2002 and watched before my eyes as most of the people I knew went from "hockey? What's that?" to "WOOOO HURRICANES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" right around the time they beat the Canadiens in the second round.

Now of course it's been 10 straight years of being terrible and most of them are back to the "hockey? What's that?" stage.

e: Also I remember people getting REALLY angry when the Canes traded Emerging Superstar Bates Battaglia (2002-03: 70 games, 19 points, 90 PIM) to the Avalanche. For Radim Vrbata, who last I checked was still playing.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 6, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Isn't Ruhwedel out with hotbrain?

Streit would be better than Hainsey though. A forward would be better than Hainsey for that matter.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

May be wishful thinking, but I'm thinking that home ice means more than usual this series because the Preds' top two defensive pairings are so good. Much easier to get Crosby or Malkin minutes against the third pairing at home.

I think the last change is unusually important for this reason plus the Penguins' bottomsecond (no seriously, they got more ice time than Daley, by far) defensive pairing being extraordinarily terrible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Nah apparently he's been fine for a while now

:psyduck:

It's just beyond belief to me that Sullivan would rather lose the Stanley Cup Finals than offend a Proven Veteran who has Earned It.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 7, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Krime posted:

Maatta is pretty good with his stick, but he can't skate, pass, or shoot for poo poo either.

What I'm saying is that for the Pens to even remotely have a chance it's going to take several forwards to go into super overdrive to get the job done.

Renne needs to poo poo himself one more time over the next 2 games and Murray needs to get hot again. That's the formula. Otherwise the Preds are gonna win the Cup.

I know GR is the super optimist and I agree Game 4 was actually the best game the Pens have played in this series--and that's exactly the problem. The Preds have outshot and outchanced the Pens in every game, for the series the Preds are up about 120 to 90 on shots, they're just better. Good news is home ice is super important in this series and the Pens have it. But if the Preds win Game 5 then they're going to win the Cup at home.

The Pens looked totally gassed by the third period of G4. The Preds dropped the Blues and Ducks in 6 while the Pens had epic 7 game slugfests with the Caps and Senators and that's a pretty big deal. As a hockey fan I regard the 3 days between games as bad and dumb, but as a Penguins fan I love 'em right now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

N: Either there will be a Game 7 of the Stanley Motherfucking Cup Finals or the Penguins will win the Stanley Motherfucking Cup (or possibly both)

V: This is Cool, and also Good

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This wacky series is destined for Game 7

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why is Game 6 not Saturday? I mean an extra day is great for a beat-up Pens team but that's weird.

Pro-Penguins conspiracy, obviously.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

I couldn't watch the game any more after the fifth goal. Even if the Preds win Sunday, I have little confidence that they will win game 7. But they could still pull off a miracle I guess?

FWIW this is how every Penguins fan felt after game 5 of the 2009 Finals

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kessel is awesome and was a great story last year, but there is not a single solitary Penguins fan, player, coach or employee in the world who would rather do without Crosby than without Kessel for five minutes, five games or five months.

If you think the Smythe should be awarded based on narratives that's cool, but Malkin is the only Penguin who ever gets anywhere near Crosby's level, and even he doesn't bring it with the shift to shift consistency Crosby does. And Crosby's defensive contributions continue to be gargtantually overlooked.

Thanks for having me, I'll hang up and listen

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If the Preds win the Cup I expect Rinne will get the Conn Smythe despite having been chased twice and having given up 4 goals on 9 shots in a third game in the SCF, because

1) Rinne probably will have to be pretty dominant not just in Game 6 but also in Game 7 for that to happen, plus

2) Rinne has a legitimate argument based on the fact the Smythe is for playoff MVP, not finals MVP, plus

3) There is no Nashville frontrunner for the Smythe, so the winner will be semi-random, plus

4) The 'default' pick would be Subban but I just can't see that happening

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

If Pens win the conn smythe should be shared between bobrovsky, holtby, and rinne

And CBJS should be invited to encase the trophy in salt

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wonderllama posted:

Ok ok. From now on only new material for PAS, so what's the deal with kessel and hot dogs? PIZZA DELIVERY

Also, the Stanley Cup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Notice how he said if they win tonight, which they probably will not, as opposed to if they win the Cup, which they probably will

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Pens looked unstoppable after games 1 and 2, too. I could see them losing tonight, it's just not likely

If this is really what you think then you should find a bookmaker because last I saw, the Penguins were +130 for tonight

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kilza posted:

So we can all agree these Penguins are the worst Cup winners since the 06 Hurricanes, right?

The 06 Hurricanes were drat good.

No, seriously. Look it up. They were.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

fits posted:

justin schultz was the missing piece

Actually... yeah, he kinda was.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fact: the refs spent the rest of the game trying to give the Preds that goal back

Fact: the refs are not allowed to actually put a goal on the board, the best they can do is keep giving one team power plays and refuse to give the other team power plays, so that is what they did

Fact: the Predators failed to score on their power plays

Fact: Here lie the Nashville Predators, they never scored

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

So Letang was out there but I guess he was forbidden to lift the Cup? 35 pounds with neck surgery is probably not a good idea huh

Letang did lift and skate with the Cup. He was one of the first 6-7 guys to get it in fact.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Chris Kunitz has more Stanley Cups than the Chicago Blackhawks had goals in the 2017 playoffs.

keep going I'm almost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mario Lemieux: "it's tough in the playoffs, every time you win a game you think you're going to win the Cup, every time you lose one, it's all over."

Hi Mario! I didn't know you were an SAS reader!

• Locked thread