Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don't fall into the HEAT trap, it's not worth it.

Edit: Except for the F1, that's the short barrel one as mentioned before.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ahh, I see what you are saying. I just looked at the stats for the G and the HEAT shell really does suck

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
You have to be more precise with HEAT because it essentially just destroys things in a straight line from where it hits on the tank. You kind of have to use it with the German short barrel guns like on the early Panzer IVs, since their APHE shells are pretty crappy

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Yeah the F1 is one of the short barrel variants. Back on my PC so I can make more of an effort post now.

The Panzer III line does well against other low tier tanks; they’re small, quick and well protected. However when you start to encounter Shermans and T-34s it comes up short. You will struggle to penetrate either of these tanks and if you do penetrate will do minimal damage. Meanwhile their guns are more than sufficient to one shot you frontally at any realistic engagement range. Which is funnily enough what happened in real life during the invasion of the USSR, which ultimately lead to the Panzer IV taking dominance with the Panzer III being discontinued and living on as the StuG III chassis.

The Panzer IV can happily go up against anything it encounters in its BR range and come out on top. Originally the Pz III was designed with fighting other tanks in mind while the IV was there to support infantry, hence its large low velocity gun and short barrel. As the Pz IV could take a larger gun due to a bigger turret ring, the roles were reversed (which is why the Pz III N features the same short 75mm the IV starts off with), so starting with the Pz IV F2 you get the long 75mm gun. This gun absolutely slaps and can frontally penetrate and destroy anything it encounters.

The Pz IV G onward all get an extra 30mm on the front armour, bringing it to a total of 80mm of frontal protection. Unfortunately in all variants the turret armour remains at 50mm, so this is where anyone experienced is going to shoot at. The best protected Pz IV is the H, as it has additional shurzen protection on the hull and the turret along with track links practically coating every available surface on the front of the tank once unlocked.

It all goes downhill with the Pz IV J. Due to Germany’s increasingly bleak situation in the later stages of the war, they looked to simplify production in any means necessary and made quite a few changes to the Pz IV, including most significantly the electric turret traversal, meaning the turret had to be cranked by hand and is slow as poo poo. The J works fine as a backup tank in your line up, but you’re better off in an F2, even with the inferior armour.

The StuG life is the best life and all of these casemate tank destroyers are terrific, with the StuGs leading to the Jagdpanzer IV variants and the frequently underestimated Panzer IV/70.

I'll be interested to see what Cimber makes of the big cats once they get to them.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cimber posted:

Ahh, I see what you are saying. I just looked at the stats for the G and the HEAT shell really does suck

In many tanks, there are some HEAT rounds out there that look better than their counterparts APCBC/APHE on paper but it's just not true. An extra 20% of penetration isn't worth it if the HEAT round damages nothing inside the tank, while the lower pen alternative would have done some serious damage from shrapnel. I personally would only take HEAT over the other rounds if it had like double the pen.

Edit:
Here's a good example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/M36B2
The M36B2 M82 shot (APCBC) has 182mm pen at 100 meters while the M348 shell (HEATFS) has 305, but I'd still take the M82 shot out due to how well it shrapnels. The M82 shot has been given the 'nuke' nickname for good reason.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 31, 2023

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Another bonus of German tanks is German planes, particularly the Bf 109. I've been making an effort to Git Gud with the 30mm motorcannon lately, and it really is :discourse: when it hits.

https://i.imgur.com/aLJ509v.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/DDia6tq.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/16PZ75g.mp4

The first one was particularly satisfying once I was close enough to see the decals they'd put on their plane, nazi gently caress.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Can HEAT get overpressure kills? Because then it's worth taking a small handful of shells to deal with pesky light tanks. Doesn't matter when your pen is when you're attempting a rapid, unplanned disassembly of a milk truck.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The other one is the Chi-Ha where your choice of 55mm low velocity 47mm HEAT shells, while garbage, is still better than APHE with 21mm of penetration :shepface:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I'll be interested to see what Cimber makes of the big cats once they get to them.

I'm looking forward to the Panther and its varients. From what I've been reading, the Tiger is overrated.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The early Pz IIIs and IVs are interesting because they are a showcase of early WW2 thought on tanks. The 50mm gun on the PzIII was the gun that was meant to punch through armour, while the 75mm on the PzIV operates more like a howitzer. Then as the war went on and countries started investing in armour the 50mm just couldn't keep up with that. So while that gun did get an upgrade - PzIIIJ1 onwards the PzIIIs have a longer barrel and punch somewhat better - the long-barreled 75mm ended up as the actual anti-tank workhorse and that's why you also see it on Panthers and StuGs.

This is why the HEAT shell is your only real option in early PzIVs with the short-barreled 75mm, because the gun you have there isn't really an anti-armour weapon. And consequently up until BR 2.7 or 3.3 you might find you have better performance using the PzIIIs instead.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, I have the PzIII J right now and maybe its just because I've just unlocked it and have had a string of bad luck using it, but I'm sort of underwhelmed by it so far. Don't think I'll unlock the L/M series, instead push on through to the PzIV and the StuG IIIG. I'm not going down the Marder/Dicker (hehe) tree right now, might circle back to that at some point.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nah the III J is kind of an underwhelming tank. It has the short 50mm. the J1 has the longer 50mm which is a lot easier to deal with. Skipping the L/M is probably a good call. The M can be frustrating, I only spaded it because I'm a completionist nutbag and a bit of a Panzer III fanboy (literally the only good tank Germany built during the war :smugbert:)

edit: Oh also, on the Marder/Dicker line. The mid-tiers are basically defined by a collection of lovely chassis with amazing guns, if that sounds fun go for it. If that sounds like torture, maybe don't rush it.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 31, 2023

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah the F1 is one of the short barrel variants. Back on my PC so I can make more of an effort post now.

The Panzer III line does well against other low tier tanks; they’re small, quick and well protected. However when you start to encounter Shermans and T-34s it comes up short. You will struggle to penetrate either of these tanks and if you do penetrate will do minimal damage. Meanwhile their guns are more than sufficient to one shot you frontally at any realistic engagement range. Which is funnily enough what happened in real life during the invasion of the USSR, which ultimately lead to the Panzer IV taking dominance with the Panzer III being discontinued and living on as the StuG III chassis.

The Panzer IV can happily go up against anything it encounters in its BR range and come out on top. Originally the Pz III was designed with fighting other tanks in mind while the IV was there to support infantry, hence its large low velocity gun and short barrel. As the Pz IV could take a larger gun due to a bigger turret ring, the roles were reversed (which is why the Pz III N features the same short 75mm the IV starts off with), so starting with the Pz IV F2 you get the long 75mm gun. This gun absolutely slaps and can frontally penetrate and destroy anything it encounters.

The Pz IV G onward all get an extra 30mm on the front armour, bringing it to a total of 80mm of frontal protection. Unfortunately in all variants the turret armour remains at 50mm, so this is where anyone experienced is going to shoot at. The best protected Pz IV is the H, as it has additional shurzen protection on the hull and the turret along with track links practically coating every available surface on the front of the tank once unlocked.

It all goes downhill with the Pz IV J. Due to Germany’s increasingly bleak situation in the later stages of the war, they looked to simplify production in any means necessary and made quite a few changes to the Pz IV, including most significantly the electric turret traversal, meaning the turret had to be cranked by hand and is slow as poo poo. The J works fine as a backup tank in your line up, but you’re better off in an F2, even with the inferior armour.

The StuG life is the best life and all of these casemate tank destroyers are terrific, with the StuGs leading to the Jagdpanzer IV variants and the frequently underestimated Panzer IV/70.

They need to make the wood stove powered J variant

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cimber posted:

I'm looking forward to the Panther and its varients. From what I've been reading, the Tiger is overrated.

The panthers are mostly hot garbage. No reverse speed (basically), turret is easily penned. The gun I guess is good but you're also paired with the usual crowd that think the Tiger I and Panther were the supreme expression of tank design (they're not).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I quite liked the first Panther once it was spaded, but I detested all the others. They're just so miserable to move in anything but a straight line forward. I literally ran rings around a Panther at close range in my Churchill Crocodile (trailer and all) the other day. They are so sluggish.

I did far better in the Tigers, even though they often feel like a cardboard box with a gun.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2023

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Counterpoint: The Panther (A) slaps and can murder everything it faces is even in a full up tier. Its armor isn't any worse than other tanks at its tier and is frequently better. It would be at 6.3 on account of the gun if German mains didn't need a drool catcher.

Cimber posted:

The Tiger isn't horrible, but its no Panther. Depending on how many vehicle slots you have it can be worth including. But like, I view it as a backup after the Panther and the JP IV/70

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Learning sight distance control and binoculars shooting I think is going to be a very useful skill to master.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Counterpoint: The Panther (A) slaps and can murder everything it faces is even in a full up tier. Its armor isn't any worse than other tanks at its tier and is frequently better. It would be at 6.3 on account of the gun if German mains didn't need a drool catcher.

The Tiger isn't horrible, but its no Panther. Depending on how many vehicle slots you have it can be worth including. But like, I view it as a backup after the Panther and the JP IV/70

Agreed. I personally always do better in the IV/70 than the other tanks, but that's my own playstyle.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cimber posted:

Learning sight distance control and binoculars shooting I think is going to be a very useful skill to master.

I'm a big fan of setting up the controls so your mouse wheel controls the gun sight distance.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Y'all are nuts, the panther and tiger are fantastic. They have incredible guns, reasonable armor (excellent, in the tigers case) and good mobility. The tiger eats shells and pisses excellence. The panther is fast and has probably the best gun at it's BR. Panther/Tiger/Jagdpanther is my go to "I want to have fun and profit" lineup.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Q_res posted:

edit: Oh also, on the Marder/Dicker line. The mid-tiers are basically defined by a collection of lovely chassis with amazing guns, if that sounds fun go for it. If that sounds like torture, maybe don't rush it.

The Dicker Max is just an appetizer for the big show: The Sturer Emil.

Literally the worst glass cannon in the entire game. It’s slow. It has lovely hull maneuverability. The crew is horribly exposed. It only carries fifteen rounds. The gun traverse is awful. The depression is average. It may as well not have armor; It never does anything. The reload is slow. The optics are average at best.

But oh my god the gun. The gun almost makes up for all of that. It overmatches literally everything. Doesn’t matter what it is or whether it’s an uptier or not; Just shoot it in the face.

It’s not a good tank, but I still take it out here and there on maps where it can be a good time.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Yeah the A beats the pants off of the D. The minor BR increase is more than worse having a turret drive that isn't hand cranked rear end.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MrYenko posted:

The depression is average.

The Dicker Max and Sturer Emil have extremely good depression! It's one of their few good traits, and something you can really capitalize on in a hilly map

Solumin posted:

Can HEAT get overpressure kills? Because then it's worth taking a small handful of shells to deal with pesky light tanks. Doesn't matter when your pen is when you're attempting a rapid, unplanned disassembly of a milk truck.

Not sure about overpressuring enclosed vehicles, but most HEAT shells have enough explosive to double as HE for any open top vehicles

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 1, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

um Panthers own, all of them.

95% of the playerbase can't pen you from the front and you can easily 1 v whatever. Just go into 2nd gear and rotate the hull with the A and VK.

And lol if you're mashing S in war thunder...always W

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Farecoal posted:

The Dicker Max

Farecoal posted:

have extremely good depression!

bro wtf even are tanks lol

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thicc Max and his brother, Sturdy Emil.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Q_res posted:

I'm a big fan of setting up the controls so your mouse wheel controls the gun sight distance.

That's my preferred method as well. There is however a 7+ year old bug in the game where binding mouse wheel to range can sometimes randomly make your gun go to maximum elevation without any user input, and with no way to reset it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrLfKA_UkA

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

At the end of the day RB/sim planes are superior to anything tanks can offer because:

1) There's no mods that you absolutely need to unlock (looking at you parts and fire extinguishers)

2) If you're playing RB you only need to research and crew one slot - not research and unlock a line up of at least 3 vehicles in the same BR to avoid getting constant up tiers to Tiger hell or modern tanks with some of your line up being painfully outclassed.

3) Maps are more aesthetic; you don't have poo poo where entire "lanes" are basically asking to get sniped by the other team because the UI guy is still learning map creation principles.

Edit: I say this as someone who has gotten US/USSR/GER to 7.7 in tanks. I *want* to like it but the way gaijin has designed that mode and even more criminal BR ratings than planes makes it a tough time whenever I play a few matches.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 1, 2023

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Beautiful, always a delight to see your piloting skills in action and you can just feel the sheer fury of these assholes failing to bring you down.

Anyway re: Tigers vs Panthers, I am firmly on Team Tiger for this one. The Panthers (the best being A followed by G) are great for a flank and spank and sniping but suffer horribly in built up areas and close quarters. The Tiger in contrast excels as a heavy tank and can flank and brawl effectively.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 1, 2023

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Thief posted:

bro wtf even are tanks lol

I don't see anything strange with a vehicle shooting a huge load out of it's long cannon at a very low angle

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The first really good 109 is the F4, as thats the first one to feature the 20mm MG 151 motorcannon

The secret of murdering things with the 15mm MG 151 is to not take the "air targets" belt, but the one with the APCR rounds. They do basically nothing to the wings and tail of your enemy, but punch straight through the seat back armor of basically everything at their tier, and kill the pilot and/or wreck the engine. Just make sure to lead enough to hit the pilot/engine instead of further back in the plane.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Even with the “wrong” belts, I find nothing at all wrong with the 15mm guns. The 20s are certainly better, but the 15s have good velocity (they shoot flatter than .50s !!!,) decent enough damage, and are generally hung on an airplane that is near the top of its pack for its BR.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Good news: Won 1M SL on today's box!

Bad news: All my matches today have been full uptiers. ugh

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Re: Up-tiers. My favorite ground vehicles lineup is 6.7 USA but 9/10 of my matches have been 7.7 for a long time. Even I have my limits.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Re: Up-tiers. My favorite ground vehicles lineup is 6.7 USA but 9/10 of my matches have been 7.7 for a long time. Even I have my limits.

Yeah, it's real fun going up against Leopards and BMPs with guided missiles in my Sherman Jumbo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is the best ammo belt for Russian 20mm? I was running the armor piercing belt but since they made velocity changes I haven't had much success.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

6.7-8.0 US is a loving wasteland of constant-uptiers. Some great tanks in there, but holy gently caress do you never get to play them against anything even remotely competitive.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Trying to figure out the camera controls and what each othe options mean under there is a pain. Nonlinerality? Relative control? What the hell do these mean.

I'm trying to be able to look around without it turning my turret so i can get better visibility, but it seems to move very fast. I can slow it down by turning on relative controls but then it 'locks' into place whenever i press the keybinding to enable look, immediately snapping back to that place. Turning off keep value for disabled axis does nothing. Best i can do is change my deadzone a bit, but even that doesn't help much.

On the PS5, so my control's are limited to the dualshock buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Maybe someday Gaijin will hire a proofreader with all the piles of money they have