Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

-----MARTIAN FEDERAL SENATE SECURITY BRIEFING-----

The Fortress, August 2054

H-Gen. Tythas.

Three months have passed since the successful battle of the Fortress and the Martian fleet remains in orbit over its second planet. The orbital space has been painstakingly swept clear of mines, debris and booby-traps left behind by the Kasag and the planet below, home to a severely reduced 15 million inhabitants has been thoroughly suppressed. Every attempt to communicate, negotiate or reason with the Kasag has failed and the only response they have had to any human is blind aggression. Even now they are constructing surface to orbit weaponry to attack the Martian fleet hanging above, seemingly heedless of the fact that every attempt is scoured from the surface by plasma and laser fire from our watchful ships.

Two more jump points have been revealed by scouting and nothing but dead and empty systems are beyond them. No reason for such an isolated yet sizeable outpost makes sense at this point. It does not appear to be on the way to anywhere and the systems Trans-Newtonian deposits are minimal at best. A dozen frozen asteroid outposts with ships and crews in cryo-stasis have been located and blasted into ruin but many more may lurk out there ready to disgorge their deadly raiders at any time which is severely hampering the fleets logistical train. All in all it is a thoroughly unpleasant system and no obvious rationale for the Kasag presence here can be divined.

More troubling is the information retrieved by breaches of the Kasag Data network using protocols supplied by Facility. These indicate that the known systems are the merest fraction of Kasag territory. Estimates sit at around eleven thousand inhabited systems with a population in the trillions. Numbers so vast that the mind slides away from them but whatever the exact numbers may be the fact remains that the Kasag, Territory? Range? Habitat? extends over a significant portion of the local arm of the galaxy and roughly maps to the space occupied by the Collaboration millions of years ago. While there is no indication that they do anything with all that space other than exist in a constant state of senescence the extent and sheer numbers of them combined with their seemingly implacable hostility is quite horrifying to consider.

In light of this I implore the Senate to continue its priority allocation of resources to the fleet. While we have had successes in this initial phase the sheer scale of the enemy means that we cannot settle into complacency and any counter-offensive could draw upon numbers of warships that would make the display against the Collaboration warship Speedy a minor sideshow by comparison.

References in the Kasag data network abound to a ‘Governor’ or ‘God’ (the translation is unfortunately imprecise but the former seems more likely as we are yet to ascertain anything recognisable as a culture among the Kasag.) As far as we can tell they remain little more than semi-sentient biological automaton carrying out tasks without question or wonder at the protocols that govern them. If we are to communicate with the Kasag we need to discover this executive or ruling system and impress upon it that we are no threat and desire peaceful co-existence.

Finally the fleet grapevine is awash with word that quiet preparations are underway to evacuate a viable part of Humanity from the Solar System, whether to hide in the void of the Sunskimmer or far flung colonies is uncertain but as the inevitable leaks of this information into the civilian domain begin there will no doubt be widespread panic and fear so I urge the Senate to get ahead of the rumors and begin a controlled release of relevant information.

In the meantime we will continue communication attempts with the captive population of the Fortress system and now the repair and resupply of the fleet is largely completed we will push onwards into the unexplored systems around the Fortress.

Gen. Tythas, 1st Fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looks like humanity's best bet is to flee coreward and get at least a viably self-sustaining colony established outside of the Kasag territory. Dealing with them is going to be a generations long task unless we get astonishingly lucky with JP alignments. Sounds like the senate is on top of that already.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Kasag seem to be almost a biological/technological means of salting the earth in the region. I think some degree of paranoia about regions outside their control should be exercised.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Just need to hack the Kasag IFF protocols and install humanity as their new suspiciously un-leafed overlords. What could possibly go wrong?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Decoy Badger posted:

Just need to hack the Kasag IFF protocols and install humanity as their new suspiciously un-leafed overlords. What could possibly go wrong?

screams in dead mind warped cultist

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Wow, what a ride. Got linked to this from the currently ongoing Aurora threads. This is not just one of the best LPs I've read or watched. This might be one of the best sci-fi stories, in any medium, that I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Someone could totally make this into a novel series.

Bravo to Saros and everyone else that participated in creating this masterpiece.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

poo poo now I gotta re-read the whole thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it was truly amazing.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Hail Tango

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I finally finished this. What a great LP. This surpasses paradox LP that Wiz did years ago.