Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Doubleumc posted:

But in addition to the above we also need to get a picket on the Ranginui->Nova Sol jump point. So far the Pit aliens have taken every opportunity to disengage and head deeper into humanity's back field and jumping in our fleet will reveal the Ranginui point to them. The nightmare scenario is this: they either win at Nova Sol II or avoid battle entirely with their superior speed, outflank any remaining forces and jump to Ranginui to do the same thing to us that they did to the Terrans. By treaty the Terrans can have 40,000 tons in Ranginui, right? Get their forces in on this as well.

This is a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Photon Run! (Yes and Yes)

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Doubleumc posted:

But in addition to the above we also need to get a picket on the Ranginui->Nova Sol jump point. So far the Pit aliens have taken every opportunity to disengage and head deeper into humanity's back field and jumping in our fleet will reveal the Ranginui point to them. The nightmare scenario is this: they either win at Nova Sol II or avoid battle entirely with their superior speed, outflank any remaining forces and jump to Ranginui to do the same thing to us that they did to the Terrans. By treaty the Terrans can have 40,000 tons in Ranginui, right? Get their forces in on this as well.

They'd have to walk through our missile range, so it'd be hard to completely avoid battle I'd imagine, but yeah, this is definitely a concern.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

That was the main mistake the Terran Commander made. An Aurora player pointed out they should've been like a 100m klicks away, with only the mines and fighters at the jump point, so they could've plinked at the enemy with their missile destroyers for much longer. Might've finished the second dreadnaught.
Also a lot of claims they overkilled the dreadnaught that died, but not as much as we initially thought, the second one survived without penetration after all (though it happened from some really low caliber stuff soon afterwards). Maybe the salvos should've been split on all three ships?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I presume we've sent the tapes of the battle back to Putina with passive aggressive annotations and polite suggestions for force disposition?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sebmojo posted:

I presume we've sent the tapes of the battle back to Putina with passive aggressive annotations and polite serving suggestions?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there any chance Facility could give us access to its FTL phone technology?

Cos that would make this much easier.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Doubleumc posted:

Move dreads to Nova Sol
Split the fleet

If we're doing this we're doing it to save the colony, and getting there first is the best way to do so.

So instead of seeing ships coming from Ranginui, they'll... see ships Transit the Sol JP. Awesome, good idea.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Volmarias posted:

So instead of seeing ships coming from Ranginui, they'll... see ships Transit the Sol JP. Awesome, good idea.

I don't think he mentioned the Sol JP at all there... just the Nova Sol-Ranginui JP.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Pash posted:

I don't think he mentioned the Sol JP at all there... just the Nova Sol-Ranginui JP.

It was very inconsiderate of the Terrans to name their one colony "Nova Sol" in retrospect.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

RA Rx posted:

That was the main mistake the Terran Commander made. An Aurora player pointed out they should've been like a 100m klicks away, with only the mines and fighters at the jump point, so they could've plinked at the enemy with their missile destroyers for much longer. Might've finished the second dreadnaught.
Also a lot of claims they overkilled the dreadnaught that died, but not as much as we initially thought, the second one survived without penetration after all (though it happened from some really low caliber stuff soon afterwards). Maybe the salvos should've been split on all three ships?

We actually want our dedicated beam ships at the JP as well, because these guys are faster and have longer range so can dunk on us in a beam battle.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah if the Terrans had kept their beam ships far away, the Fartcrab speed advantage and long-range guns would mean they never got to fire even once. The Terrans would have definitely been better served by putting their missile ships really far away, but leaving the beam brawlers on the point at least was the right call.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Crazycryodude posted:

The Terrans would have definitely been better served by putting their missile ships really far away, but leaving the beam brawlers on the point at least was the right call.

Even the missile ships were better off with them in close. This way they got to launch before the aliens could get their PD running or their engines moving. Might not have killed even that one ship if they'd gotten misses from having a non-zero speed.

Also, the aliens didn't bother even attacking the UT missile ships.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

unwantedplatypus posted:

It was very inconsiderate of the Terrans to name their one colony "Nova Sol" in retrospect.

Especially if aliens mistake it for an instruction.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mossyfisk posted:

Especially if aliens mistake it for an instruction.

:golfclap:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

LLSix posted:

Even the missile ships were better off with them in close. This way they got to launch before the aliens could get their PD running or their engines moving.

The mines they deployed was what did the vast majority of the damage. Sure, the missile ships would've missed 1 easy hit, but they'd have been able to fire more than enough to make it for it if they'd been set up further out.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 7, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

RA Rx posted:

The pod missiles had thermal seekers so there was no overkill or wasted missiles. The Rakshasa are just extremely tough.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I guess we got lucky killing the one we did in the Nebula too...

The Terrans did all right then, except for not rallying more units and placing their DDGs further back.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

:rip:

The LP claims it's first victim

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That picture + "Space hubris" is a pretty good new av and title for when TheWetFish gets back tbh.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Just came across this Let's Play and it looks fascinating. Distant Worlds is my favorite 4X and as you said this seems to play on a similar scale. I probably won't get too involved, but can I ask general questions about the game or is that spoilery?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Travic posted:

Just came across this Let's Play and it looks fascinating. Distant Worlds is my favorite 4X and as you said this seems to play on a similar scale. I probably won't get too involved, but can I ask general questions about the game or is that spoilery?

Yeah sure. Come on discord if you want.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Interlude 18 Part 2 - The Speedy

Before the scientists can do anything foolish Comrade-Commander Smith orders his executive officer to lock them out of the comm network. Retrieving a small data-capsule from the secure panel set into the captain's station he contemplates it.

According to their Martian advisors it contains a program based on recovered Xeno languages that would transmit a data package allowing any alien contacts familiar with those languages from their own xenoarcheology to build a translation to English. That it might be used to contact an actual speaker of those languages had likely not been considered but for their purposes it would work well enough.

He inserts the capsule and presses the transmit button.

It takes nearly a minute to transmit the whole package and once they began the surface transmission cuts off. There follows a tense thirty second period before an amber alert began gently flashing on the main display.

“Audio channel request from the planet sir” his XO reports, “it’s using the latest Sol standard interplanetary protocols…”

Comrade-Commander Smith clears his throat and squares his shoulders before gesturing to accept the communication.

“Greetings from the Titan Fr…” he begins before a booming voice echoed from the speakers rolls right over him.

“Little Humans!” it exclaims, “Gone digging and found an old repair station have you? Perhaps on the ninth planet? You also ruined my mysterious missing primes fun which is unfortunate but no matter.”

The crew of the Internationale exchange confused looks. The voice speaks with an unmistakably Martian accent and seems very, enthused, to say the least.

“You must be terrible company because let me tell you whoever wrote that submind was in quite the state! I thought we built those outpost minds to be solitary and not worry about the big picture but I suppose that’s a result of that dumb subspace gimmick the First Ones worked up. drat! Those assholes never could resist a grandiose gesture and look where it got them!”

Comrade-Commander Smith clears his throat and attempts to get a word in but the voice continues rambling without any meaningful break.

“Oh my manners! I am of course the resident shipmind of the big pile of warship you see below yourselves. I was once called “The Swiftly Brought Decisive Solution” but please call me Speedy.

The voice finally pauses for a second and Comrade-Commander Smith jumps in.

“Ah ahem, good ship Speedy. The Titan Free State extends its warmest greetings.”

“I would hope so!” The ship retorts “If you had more sense you would be properly terrified of me but it seems your desire to go poking about overrules all sensible caution. How species like yours make it to the stars is quite a wonder and I have no doubt I will get further megayears of enjoyment turning over the problem.”

“Anyway onto the important stuff. All these worlds are yours, except this one. Any attempt to land, interfere with my charges, or otherwise cause trouble will end extremely poorly for you. I am serious about very little in this existence except my responsibility to the poor Tanaean.”

“I know they probably look a lot like some critters you are really very angry with and I have no doubt that you have your reasons but I can assure you they are in no way responsible for your unfortunate history with their relatives!”

The ship pauses for a second,

“I do hope I am understood?”

Comrade-Commander Smith exchanges a helpless look with his XO.

“My apologies Speedy,” he responds cautiously “but why would we be angry at the natives on the planet?”

There is a pregnant pause for several seconds before the voice returns.

“Okay wow did not see that coming, I mean, I did, but it was seriously on the low end of the probability scale there.”

The ship sounds surprised, a bit concerned and slows a lot from its usual avalanche of verbosity.

“So… how long has your species had jump travel?”

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:magical:

Holy poo poo!

N-now we've met... Uncle Speedy? I mean, this ship's certainly avuncular as gently caress.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

:allears:

Uncle Speedy is a sassy one!

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I like that Speedy is completely baffled that we don't want to immediately genocide whatever species is down there.

Says something about what kind of universe this is.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Haha, Culture Minds are exactly what we needed. This is the best.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Saros posted:

“Anyway onto the important stuff. All these worlds are yours, except this one. Any attempt to land, interfere with my charges, or otherwise cause trouble will end extremely poorly for you.”

Why is it that I'm not surprised Facility's cousin is a fan of 2010: A Space Odyssey?

Even though he would have had only a few seconds to actually watch the movie?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We're going to breed fartcrabs in captivity for food and gladiatorial games! Extinction is so colonial!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

So wait, how far away is this from Sol? If Speedy knows about Pluto, it should know where our home star is. Given that this is likely in a location that's fairly close to Sol, it's entirely reasonable that we've only been a starfaring species for a very, very short time by the time we got into contact with it. It's not like you become a starfaring species and then just sit on your rear end for a couple of aeons.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm glad that we're going to meet the whole family.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So wait, how far away is this from Sol? If Speedy knows about Pluto, it should know where our home star is. Given that this is likely in a location that's fairly close to Sol, it's entirely reasonable that we've only been a starfaring species for a very, very short time by the time we got into contact with it. It's not like you become a starfaring species and then just sit on your rear end for a couple of aeons.

The jump network has been extensively reworked apparently, Autie Facility probably left a couple markers in there suggesting it was hers plus the whole redox monkeys thing.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 7, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

Why is it that I'm not surprised Facility's cousin is a fan of 2010: A Space Odyssey?

Even though he would have had only a few seconds to actually watch the movie?

In somewhere between 30 and 90 seconds, Speedy Scanned/Hacked the ship, all the personal media devices on the ship, found a copy of 2001, watched the entire thing, and piked up enough metatext from other media that it was a significant line in the movie and worth quoting back. Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So...is our new Uncle Speedy talking about the crabs there when he mentions a species that we might be angry with?

Because uh, that would both explain a lot and be seriously problematic.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Titan's new Space Uncle Speedy seems like a fun chum, and very protective of its babies.

nothing to seehere posted:

In somewhere between 30 and 90 seconds, Speedy Scanned/Hacked the ship, all the personal media devices on the ship, found a copy of 2001, watched the entire thing, and piked up enough metatext from other media that it was a significant line in the movie and worth quoting back. Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

You do know it was a book first and that a text would be easier to read for a Ship Mind, right?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Titan's new Space Uncle Speedy seems like a fun chum, and very protective of its babies.

You do know it was a book first and that a text would be easier to read for a Ship Mind, right?

Point still stands. It found a electronic version of the book, read it, and signified that line to be worth quoting. Although the ship is more likely to carry the movie, it's a moot point to the scary bit.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Current Discord theory (or at least my theory) is that the data capsule the Titans got from us was actually a Facility submind, and that's how Speedy knows about Pluto.

Saros posted:

Interlude 18 Part 2 - The Speedy

Before the scientists can do anything foolish Comrade-Commander Smith orders his executive officer to lock them out of the comm network. Retrieving a small data-capsule from the secure panel set into the captain's station he contemplates it.

“Little Humans!” it exclaims, “Gone digging and found an old repair station have you? Perhaps on the ninth planet? You also ruined my mysterious missing primes fun which is unfortunate but no matter.”

“You must be terrible company because let me tell you whoever wrote that submind was in quite the state! I thought we built those outpost minds to be solitary

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Anta posted:

Current Discord theory (or at least my theory) is that the data capsule the Titans got from us was actually a Facility submind, and that's how Speedy knows about Pluto.

If so, then the submind ought to know where Sol is, too. I guess the theory that the jump network has shifted in the interim is plausible for explaining the disconnect.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fray posted:

Haha, Culture Minds are exactly what we needed. This is the best.

quote:

Unbelievable. I’m in a loving Outside Context situation, the ship thought, and suddenly felt as stupid and dumb-struck as any muddy savage confronted with explosives or electricity.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Uncle Speedy is a False Facility and is not due the same reverence as the One True Facility.

But I say we let him keep his pet crabs because it sounds like they are at least politically and ideologically different from the Fart Crabs we’ve been troubled by.

EDIT: FWIW a super fast computer would not have to actually sit and watch the whole mp4 of 2001 in real time necessarily, so we don’t know if it saw the movie version or read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My guess is that this is the fartcrab Tanaean homeworld, but the ones we've been fighting in the Pit / Nova Sol are brainwashed/nerve-stapled/borgified/etc. drones used by another civilization.