Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Given the relative proximity it may be the case that the sensor ghosts and signals we're picking up in the Nebula are the remnants of the Spider-Penguins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The Pit

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Pit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The graveyard for spooky ghost penguins

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

BwenGun posted:

Given the relative proximity it may be the case that the sensor ghosts and signals we're picking up in the Nebula are the remnants of the Spider-Penguins...

I don't think we know yet if proximity in the jump network has any correlation to physical proximity.

I vote graveyard. An opportunity to learn from the best is always welcome.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
The Pit purely because I've been playing FreeSpace 2 recently.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I really don't want to be absorbed into the Garden of Kadesh

Though, on second thought...

Agghh, uh... graveyard.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The Pendulum

uh i mean

The Pit

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Graveyard

Find a sample of penguin DNA and clone them so we can be space bros.

Alternatively, avenge them.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Goddamn, this is a hard choice. Since the ruins there are at cursory glance the same as the 300k year ruins on that massive city-planet though, it's likely that little new will be found there in an archeological sense, at least not without much more effort than we're prepared to provide.

Also the idea of colonizing a planet that suffered through that seems a bit... dour. Who would want to live on a planet that was genocided to hell and back?

The Pit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What, doesnt the city planet has successive layers of which the 300k Y.O. ruins are latest?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
So it's not lost to Discord only, re: our infodump:

quote:

Saros - Today at 12:28 PM
you weakened Yekareinas position significantly
which is a big factor in her inability to reform stuff

So we didn't accomplish the desired goal of stalling their colonization efforts, but we did manage to undermine a good faith democratic reformer to the benefit of the reactionary opposition. Excellent work team.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sniper4625 posted:

So we didn't accomplish the desired goal of stalling their colonization efforts, but we did manage to undermine a good faith reformer to the benefit of the reactionary opposition. Excellent work team.

We are the best space communists. :ussr:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BwenGun posted:

PIT: volunteering for testing prototype TAG-a missiles

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

sniper4625 posted:

So we didn't accomplish the desired goal of stalling their colonization efforts, but we did manage to undermine a good faith democratic reformer to the benefit of the reactionary opposition. Excellent work team.

Although on the bright side unrest is ticking up and we should have a nice civil war cooking off in a year or two, from what I gather. It's just an elaborate plot to spread more Revolution. Accelerationism works, kids :science:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Crazycryodude posted:

Although on the bright side unrest is ticking up and we should have a nice civil war cooking off in a year or two, from what I gather. It's just an elaborate plot to spread more Revolution. Accelerationism works, kids :science:

I'm sorry, are you talking about Terran unrest or the brand new Martian variant?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Graveyard

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Graveyard

Leave the Shivans the hell alone.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Graveyard

No penguin will go unavenged! Not on my watch anyway.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Graveyard I always preferred archeology.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Reality sucks :dealwithit:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No we did accomplish our primary goal of weakening Terra by encouraging internal division and general strife in the command chain. And like Cryo said the best way to whip up a desire for reform is to see it be denied. Sooner or later every regime stamping down will find itself in difficulty, we quite likely pushed the clock forward significantly. And if we hadn't spilled the jump sickness info the the Terrans wouldn't properly appreciate the gates we built them.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Erwin the German posted:

I really don't want to be absorbed into the Garden of Kadesh

Though, on second thought...

Agghh, uh... graveyard.

The Gardens are how you get Multibeam Frigates ie the very best dancing laser doom ships

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I want to explore The Pit!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

sniper4625 posted:

I'm sorry, are you talking about Terran unrest or the brand new Martian variant?

It'll be nihilistic-extremist Martian malcontents who want to be enslaved under free market plutocrats in exchange for cybernetic immortality, rising up against Terran ethno-separatists who want monoculture ruled by a theocratic god-king monarchy.

They'll be arguing over whose ideology actually makes sense government's leadership is the worst.

Speaking of which, let's see what is on the other side of both, starting with Graveyard.

Cathode Raymond posted:

No penguin will go unavenged! Not on my watch anyway.
Poisoning the atmosphere seems oddly meticulous for a galactic-scale enemy who could just carpetbomb the planet for a week and move on, so whoever gassed the penguins was probably a stellar-scale entity who had limited resources (It could even have been an intra-species conflict between political factions :v:) ...or someone significantly more powerful who won a war and decided out of pure spite to torture a civilization that couldn't fight back.

Considering what has happened to the Community, there may not even be any descendants to harass over a crime their ancestors committed. The ones who took part in the act of genocide are either long dead, in which case there is no revenge, or they are not dead. In which case, what difference does it make whether there are a few more belligerent undying spacegods in the galaxy?

Saros posted:

survey crews remain extremely high and the Survey corps are garnering a reputation as the madmen of the fleet.

spreadsheet posted:

Survey Corps
(Silentsnack) SS Tangaroa Mk II "It seemed like a good idea at the time"
:ducksiren:

Calebc789
Sep 8, 2014

Let's check The Pit first. It's quite possible that there's something active in that system, and (atleast in my opinion) the sooner we know more about it, the better.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

If something smells, it’s usually the Pits.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
It would be a pity if we didn't explore the spooky nebula.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Calebc789 posted:

Let's check The Pit first. It's quite possible that there's something active in that system, and (atleast in my opinion) the sooner we know more about it, the better.

Not emptyquoting you, I said drat near exactly the same thing to a friend when describing the situation, 2 minutes before checking the thread and seeing this.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Rorac posted:

Not emptyquoting you, I said drat near exactly the same thing to a friend when describing the situation, 2 minutes before checking the thread and seeing this.

That's my thought as well. The other system is dead, and unless the Terrans have a way into it like Rangnui it will stay as it has been until we get a chance to look at it closer.

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008
Just throw my rear end in The Pit!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Current vote tally is 31 for The Pit and 25 for The Graveyard!

Voting will remain open across most of the weekend, if you change your vote after this point please make a new post saying so so I can adjust the totals.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I feel like the graveyard is an early game over. We'll totally run into whatever killed the penguins.

Also the pit = plays a bit to our strengths.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Affi posted:

I feel like the graveyard is an early game over. We'll totally run into whatever killed the penguins.

Also the pit = plays a bit to our strengths.

Possibly but I don't think Saros is the kind of GM to give us trap options. If we do run into whatever (300 million years is a while) I'm sure it won't be an instant game over.

...right? :ohdear:

edit; Oh it's 300k years. Still a bit ago.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 3, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that this is going to be a time skip directly into a choose your own adventure book style instant kill. That'd be lovely storytelling.

However, even if you think Saros will do trap options, how do we know that the "go into an area where your shields and some weapons don't work, and you can't see poo poo, and there are likely enemies hidden there we can't detect" isn't the trap option? They're both fairly likely to result in hostile contact of some sort.

I'd rather fight the enemy I can see, even if they're genocidal monsters, than the enemy I can't.

[EDIT] Especially if you consider that we're working on the theory that for the most part the ruins we've seen aside from the Graveyard were created by the space demons eating whole civilizations. This is very clearly just people vs people, we understand how these guys died. It's entirely possible the people who killed the penguins got eaten by space demons in the last purge and we're near the start of a new cycle rather than the end of a new cycle.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I mean, aren't our specialties armor and lasers? Do we even HAVE shield systems on our ships?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We have light shields because it's always nice to throw some on once you get past a certain tech level, but we're very much armor, speed, and beams, which synergize very well in nebulae.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Our shield and armor tech are the same level with new fleet anyway.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The Pit also has a world that is a good colonization target. It might be fun to colonize and then fortify the gently caress out of the system.

gently caress it, into The Pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Let's Garden of Kadesh the hell out of ourselves in The Pit!