Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm an unironic Posadist now, the aliens have undoubtedly read Capital (or their equivalent) and will offer to help us crush the reactionary oppressors of Earth any second...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

OwlFancier posted:

You jest but yeah, kinda. Aliens are an unknown quantity whereas we know UT are twats.

Totally serious, actually. You could lock the average goon in a closet with a starving honey badger and an investment banker and he'd try to form an alliance with the animal.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Nevets posted:

Totally serious, actually. You could lock the average goon in a closet with a starving honey badger and an investment banker and he'd try to form an alliance with the animal.

As he should :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nevets posted:

It’s safer than the alternative.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Nevets posted:

Which animal? Both are cutthroat, predatory, and care not for the needs of the average goon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nevets posted:

At least the honey badger can be satisfied

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Spoiler: the closet is really the Goon's own mind.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Nevets posted:

By animal you mean the banker ri... god drat it how did I get beaten to that?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

I think thirty one steps ahead of you, friend.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crazycryodude posted:

Because the only way that punchline could have been more obvious if it was a lawyer instead of a banker.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I would shoot Toby twice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you feed the banker to the badger then you have a now satisfied badger and one less banker so that seem quite sensible really. Also the badger probably won't eat the whole banker so you'll have some left over for later, which will go further than if you killed the badger because, as stated, you're down one banker.

What I'm saying is that we should definitely try and find some friendly aliens to ally with against UT. The universe does produce them as we know from the collaboration.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 11, 2017

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
It's too late for this particular encounter, but could we potentially design some exploratory vessels with microwave weapons to keep ourselves safe in future first contact encounters? I don't remember the details of how they worked when we had them used against us by IC but are they a possible less-than-lethal weapon choice, or can they disable ships in ways that are effectively death sentences for those within them?

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 12, 2017

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rawkking posted:

It's too late for this particular encounter, but could we potentially design some exploratory vessels with microwave weapons to keep ourselves safe in future first contact encounters? I don't remember the details of how they worked when we had them used against us by IC but are they a possible less-than-lethal weapon choice, or can they disable ships in ways that are effectively death sentences for those within them?

High-Powered Microwaves (HPM) will burn out only electronics if their shields are down which is neat. They share general capacitor upgrades to fire rate but unfortunately weapons do not share range upgrades with other weapon lines, so whatever we're not focusing on will tend to be short range

Non-lethal combat is pretty snazzy but less so if it's short range. Think of it as bringing a taser to a gun standoff

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

TheWetFish posted:

Non-lethal combat is pretty snazzy but less so if it's short range. Think of it as bringing a taser to a gun standoff

I'm willing to take that risk.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If you feed the banker to the badger then you have a now satisfied badger and one less banker so that seem quite sensible really. Also the badger probably won't eat the whole banker so you'll have some left over for later, which will go further than if you killed the badger because, as stated, you're down one banker.

What I'm saying is that we should definitely try and find some friendly aliens to ally with against UT. The universe does produce them as we know from the collaboration.

Facility has lulled us into a false sense of security while actually working for the Great Old Ones. The "Collaboration" ships in the TimeTube were rebels fighting against the Tentacular Terrors From Beyond Time And Space that were allowed to live if they went in the Tube. Facility's response to the "mistake" over Pluto was 'Oops' in a "You weren't supposed to see that yet" meaning not "Oh dear, what is that doing on the other end of that portal". Facility and the Collaboration is a threat like all Xeno Filth.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm willing to take that risk.

I don't think that Microwaves are anything like the soul-stealing horror that is The Taser.

(Seriously folks if you aren't aware of Syphon Filter you need to see the LP of it. It's a thing of beauty.)

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

144 pages over a weekend. I've missed playing Aurora, so I'm glad this is still going. Looks like I'm caught up at a good time as well, huh.

Shame my spacemans is stuck in the 3rd fleet and not about to get horribly eaten by space nebula whales SACRIFICE HIS LIFE FOR A BETTER MARS

Tango the Parrot
Oct 11, 2017

Now you see me, now you don't.

CRACKERS? SQRAAAAK!
n͞e͚̩̺ ̯͍̫̯̤a̳͇͍̫̹̰̣͝n̪͕̹̤̻͈̲d̡͕ ̤͔͚i͙̤̥͔c͔̩̗̝̣̠e̺ ̴͈̯a̙͖̖n͇̼d̼̘͓̫̼̘ ͍d̗̥u̡̲ś̗̟̭̝͈t ̜̦͖̟a͉͉̪n͎͘d̖̪̬̰͖̘̯͡ ̢͙̺͎͚f̡͍̝̣͖̝l҉͇̩̰̺es̱͈̭̘̪h͔̩̘̭̬͙ ̠͙̠͈̣͘a̡͚̰̥ņd̡̰̫̻ ̠̼͘b̲͇̬̪͡o̶̪̺̩n̺͟e͉͉̲̦̜̹ ̧̰̦͇a̜̦͖̜͕̩n̯d͚ ̩̤̼̕i̶̫̫c̷̻̻̙̭͇e̹̲͓̕ ̮̺̠̤̘a̛̪̞̯͙n̙̜͚̩̭d̢̻̼̦̘͓̱͉ ҉d̖̞̺̠͜u̗̣͘st̥̣ ҉͉̫̺̥̱a̷͕̹̝n̯͔̹̪̼d҉ ͚͚͎͎̦f̵͙l̦̙̭̕e̺̩͜s̰̟̱͚h̩͎̗̱̪ ͍̱̮̦̥̹͇a͈̬̯͡n̙̥͓̟̘d̢͍̠̱ ̺̦͜b̗͓͔̼o͡n̺̹͕͍̹͡e͇͓͖͖̖̥͚ ̺̣͙ͅan̠͎ḑ̰ ̜̼̗̮̝̻͔i̝͓c͈͍͕̼̩̠͡e̺̼͔̤͈ a͈͚̫̫͍̥ͅn̟̘̥̦d̝͉̜ ̠̳̱͓̖̜d̨̟͔̜̳u̡̼̪̜̲s̛̫͎t҉̺̳̥̩ ̦̕an҉͇̼͕d͏̹ ̻̗̻f͙l̳͕̮̼̯̳̀e͙͙̗̝̤̳̟s͉̩͈͖̪̙̜h̤̦͚̜̗͍̖̕ ̮͚̱a͎͕͖̰ͅn̻̻͙̦͓d͍͈̯͚͚ ̬̟̤͕͔b̥̪̭̳̗̻͜ǫ̙͎̖̰̰n͙e̵̼̦̬̝̤̪ ̧̟̰͖͇̘̩á͇͕n̵͕͍̟̠̥̠ḓ̥̥̭ ̼͓̬͕i̻̫͇̗̪ͅͅc̝̤͉̖͕e͇̞̠ ̛̲͍͔̤a̦̞̮̲n̨̬d͏͓̯̣͍̺̣ ̧̝̯̝d̹̙̺͉̠̝͠ư̠̪̪͉s̻̣̩̭̩ͅt̫̲̝͚̭͇ͅ ạ̠̣̳͖͍͢n̤d̡̝͙̼̭͙̲ ͎͕͍͕̫f̸̯͇̤͔̥͖l̰͍̱̟e̴̲͈̯s͘h̠͎̖̮̟̹͜ͅ ̜a̟̮͙̙̫n̗̮̺̠̱d́ ̬̱̥̰̯̰͙b̻̥͖͞o̪̘̘̠̫͝

Oh.

You woke them up. The sleepers. Such a long nap....

Tango the Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 13, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:stare:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is fine.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
:stonklol:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

7 Jan 2054, 0303hrs

As the Aliens pass 600k km they increase speed to 6000kps.

Far away a pair of Pollux cruisers and Azrael destroyers are dispatched from the main fleet to intercept the 1st Destroyer Squadron. The rest of the ships continue to close on the inner planets other than the survey ship Olympus Mons Pubis which is dispatched to report the contact to Ranginui command.

Pollux detachment.

The alien ships rapidly close to 230k km. As they pass the 500k km mark their signatures suddenly fuzz out and become vague as all six activate incredibly powerful electronic warfare suites. Gen. Rorac orders targeting with LIDAR and active pulses in a last ditch attempt to warn off the hostiles.

Rapid Unplanned Disassembly opens her tubes to give a warning shot with her missiles but the missile drives cannot engage in the thick nebula field!

All five other Alien ships turn on their active sensors and bear in on the Martian ships.

Rorac grimaces;

"All ships begin evasive maneuvers and ready weapons but do not fire first!"

As the Aliens close to 123k km five enormous explosions erupt around the Disaresta, seemingly out of nowhere as no weapon track was observed. At the same time she suffers a massive internal explosion in one of her crew quarters. Thankfully the quarters are empty as all crew are at their stations.

"Azrael and From Mars With Love return fire, all other ships evade" Rorac orders. The two destroyers are already turning to bring their weapons to bear not even waiting for his command. Rorac looks in confusion at the armor status of his ship, not sign of any hits or penetrations so how did the aliens damage her internally?

The 15cm rapid fire lasers reach out but the Alien ships easily evade, the screening effect of the nebula and their powerful ECM making them difficult targets.

The squadron turns to close the range and improve their hit chances. Disaresta shuddering as she is wracked by another internal explosion which leaves her main fuel tank vented to space.

The two forces of ships blow past each other at only twenty six thousand kilometers and the destroyers take this chance to fire their 30cm spinal lasers.

The armor on the ships is a six layers thick, an enormous amount for such small ships but From Mars With Love connects and manages to blow a hole in one of the Alien vessels. Oddly a spectrographic reading of the venting gas shows a methane/nitrogen gas mix.

The first human casualties occur as a ravening explosion tears through the Disaresta's jump drive killing all 28 crew manning it.

After the massive laser hits the aliens turn and using their superior speed increase the range to 80k km. Disaresta takes several more hits and casualties but Rorac grimly keeps the ship in formation knowing every hit he takes means less on the Azraels which are the only effective combat units.

After several misses From Mars With Love manages another hit with her spinal laser. It is too much for the small ship and the Alien vessel disintegrates shedding debris and... what looks like life pods?

The aliens whirl around at this and charge the Squadron.

Rorac tries to hold the range open but the Aliens seem to have found the range and three explosions tear through Disaresta.

One of her two drives goes into emergency shutdown and she slows to 2200kps. Internally she is a mess and barely holding together.

Without a word the rest of the squadron turns back to cover the stricken ship, charging the Alien ships at maximum speed.

It seems to have worked, the aliens divert to attack the rest of the squadron firing their strange weapons at the Point defense destroyer Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.

It ah, doesn't go well for Col. Malick.

:rip: Col Malick23 :rip:

The fighting ships whirl around each other at point blank range, the alien ships are a very difficult target due to their nimbleness, ECM and the nebula with the Azrael able to hit only a third of the time even at this point blank range but the second ship must be accumulating damage.

Lt-Col Inglonias takes over command of the Rapid Unplanned Disassembly after the sudden death of Malick23.

The second Alien ship suddenly takes a penetrating hit from Azrael's 15cm laser and disengages, making for the the comet at 6000kps!

Several more volleys are exchanged with minimal effect. Both combatants seem to be hampered by the nebula and the Aliens do not appear to have any ECCM.

Eventually however Rapid Unplanned Disassembly suffers her namesake to her engine. It tears apart and she shudders to a halt, the fray quickly moving past her.

Luckily the Aliens shift fire to another ship.

From Mars With Love shudders as she begin to take fire. Rorac watches helplessly from the Disaresta as the Aliens finally pick the right target.

One alien ship is destroyed and another fleeing but two destroyers are badly damaged or crippled.

Lt-Gen Frankenfreak proves his reputation as a crack shot as he falls in behind an Alien ship and cores her with a massive blast from the ship's Spinal laser. However at the same time another alien vessels hits From Mars With Love solidly and her fire control explodes into debris taking five spacers with it. Without it she cannot return fire but Frankenfreak keeps her in the fight as the aliens have no way of knowing this.

From Mars With Love

The ship shudders as she takes more hits, helpless to reply.

The brawl is moving off to the NW.

Frankenfreak begin deliberately exposing his ship to lead the Aliens under the guns of the Azreal, it pays off but she take more and more hits.

The damage on From Mars With Love is becoming critical but Frankenfreak keeps up the deadly game.

Soon after it pays off as after eight hits with a 15cm laser another Alien vessel blows apart.

Seconds later, shying away from her compatriots death the next Alien ship makes a critical mistake and Col. Not Alex on the Azrael tags her with his 15cm laser. It finds a gap in the armor and then something critical on the inside and the Alien ships disappears into an enormous ball of plasma as her generator explodes.

Cheers ring out across the squadron, there is only one hostile ship remaining.

For twenty seconds they weave around each other, Azrael takes two hits but neither do crucial damage and eventually her main gun is recharged.

Boom.

Not Alex nails the final ship dead on.

Her active sensor fails and the final ship turns to run.

Not Alex leads the squadron in hot pursuit having only time for one last salvo before they are out of range.

He carefully positions himself as the ship flees growing ever further by the second.

Zap!

The Alien vessel's engine splutters out and it shudders to a halt, badly damaged but intact.

7 Jan, 0323hrs
The entire combat has lasted less than twenty minutes.

The only remaining Alien ship is fleeing for the comet.

The Cruisers are over a day out.

Disaresta

From Mars with Love

Rapid Unplanned Disassembly

Three destroyers are badly damaged but the battle appears to be won!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, that went better than expected.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The aliens might be friendly, they said. Charging at us full speed without talking could be their way of saying hello they said. Even if they're hostile, there's no way a 1000 ton ship could have weapons that could penetrate our armor, they said.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Nevets posted:

The aliens might be friendly, they said. Charging at us full speed without talking could be their way of saying hello they said. Even if they're hostile, there's no way a 1000 ton ship could have weapons that could penetrate our armor, they said.

Well we won, and in the end that's all that matters.

Triton Exploration Fleet Endures.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

How many Martians die doesn't matter?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Nevets posted:

How many Martians die doesn't matter?

+/- Fanatics.

In any case, let's tow that fucker home. We got what we came for. :frogc00l:

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
My only regret is that I have but one life to give to Mars. Give 'em hell guys.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lifepods & salvage oh my!

Have at it boys, priority on collecting our crew from any ships that can't sustain life support then get that advanced tech.

Martian upgrades ahoy! :yarr:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

we are so scooping those life pods and interrogating these cow fart breathing motherfuckers attempting first contact with a glorious alien race

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rhjamiz posted:

+/- Fanatics.

In any case, let's tow that fucker home. We got what we came for. :frogc00l:

Yes. We got Terra dragged into a Hellwar.

Call on Terra to honor their treaty with us. Begin a MASSIVE buildup in Ranganui. Suggest Terra deploy equal tonnage with us around the jump point to the nebula system.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Nice work, fleet! Too bad the aliens did turn out to be immediately aggressive. But why?

Can we snare any of their lifepods? After we retrieve our own, naturally.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1fVrI2NFQ

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VanSandman posted:

Yes. We got Terra dragged into a Hellwar.

Call on Terra to honor their treaty with us. Begin a MASSIVE buildup in Ranganui. Suggest Terra deploy equal tonnage with us around the jump point to the nebula system.

Jump point into the nebula system The Pit is via Ranganui, please be careful encouraging Terra to build up forces right there.

Interesting idea on calling up Terra on that treaty point, worth considering

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lets crack open those pods and have some delicious alien meth steak!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That was a tense fight.

Azrael made a poor showing at the start of the fight, with the first 5 hits delivered by From Mars with Love, but she redeemed herself in the end.

Really looking forward to seeing what's on that disabled ship. Too bad we didn't build any new marine raiders.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Do we have a tug and/or salvage ship?

Also, keep this from Terra. They are a potential tech gold mine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

pthighs posted:

Do we have a tug and/or salvage ship?

Also, keep this from Terra. They are a potential tech gold mine.

Don't we have treaty provisions regarding contact with hostile aliens? And other provisions relating to contact with intelligent aliens?

I think we have sufficient proof that these jerks are both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm comfortable with that butchers bill. we can now proceed to analysis and annihilation in good conscience.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 13, 2017