Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
This is pretty drat cool. Added myself to the spreadsheet. Apparently, my officer did pretty well in the other LP, so here's to getting eaten by space-sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Voting 1B for hybrids.

I'm not really all that convinced by the arguments that specialized designs are more effective. Sure, in a sterile fleet-on-fleet clean vacuum engagement, probably, but as we've seen in the fight against the IC, specialized missile ships turn into liabilities that can't contribute once they're empty. We saw that both for us and for the enemy.

The Titan fight ended up hinging on a single fighter while a bunch of missile ships were just uselessly hanging out. Surviving the missile fight already requires the specialized missile ships to be fairly well-armored unless we intend them to be single-use, and hybrid missile ships contribute in the beam fight just by being there and having enough teeth to force the enemy to shoot at them too.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

I'm ready to probe and be probed!

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Could the OCD that the jump-immune are exhibiting be the reason for their immunity, instead of a symptom? A lot of OCD symptoms are safety behaviors used to reduce fear or anxiety. If they were performing some kind of safety behavior to cope with the jump effects, maybe we could try using these on purpose?

I propose sending someone that already has OCD through, as well as regular subjects, with orders to perform various safety behaviors. Tell them that they need to keep switching the light on and off or the airlocks will open. "Weird glitch, that. Well, good luck!" :v:

e: Or even telling them that squeezing a ball or pushing a button helps against the jump sickness. Maybe if they believe that it will actually work? It's a brain thing so let's use placebo?

Anta fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 13, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Inertial. Unless the game is doing a weird thing it's inertial confinement fusion.

edit: I have been informed that the game is indeed doing a weird thing. There is both an internal and an inertial confinement fusion engine tech in the game. :psyduck:

Anta fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 4, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Edit: whoops, nevermind. Only the beam ships can do 5k

I suggest we keep running but increase speed to match them. Unless I remember wrong we can also do 5k.

A few reasons to do this:

1. We keep the distance, obviously. There's no reason for us to get in a fight here now, if we can avoid it.
  2. We show that we are not interested in a fight.
  3. We show our capability. They might be less inclined to fight a stronger enemy.
  4. We learn something about their capability. We already know they have at least 4 armor layers and enough engine to do 5k. They clearly wanted to get closer, so if they can, they probably will increase speed again.

Anta fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 6, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Yeah Plan BwenGun looks good!

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Mikl posted:

I'm probably being hard-headed, but I can't agree with a plan that involves us shooting first, even warning shots. We might be starting an interstellar war with those, and after that lots of ships will get blown up and lots of people will die.

This is what I propose:

Split off a single slow ship and let her fall behind the rest of the task force, going at a slower speed, allowing the aliens to catch up. All the while keep broadcasting peaceful messages.

After that, split off the Azraels. The rest of the task force will continue for the main fleet, while the Azraels will stay behind and see what happens to the ship.

Now, what happens next depends on what the aliens do:

a - If the aliens open fire, the Azraels close with the aliens to maximum weapons range, then open up on them; they then turn around, keeping the distance while firing, and book it at max speed towards the main fleet.

b - If the aliens don't open fire, congrats! We have a successful and peaceful first contact.

I agree that with this plan we risk three ships, but this is in my opinion the best chance to make a good first impression.

No, if we're letting them catch us we need to do it with the entire squadron. If they attack we still stand a good chance of surviving the encounter. If they don't, fine and good.

At this point the rest of the squadron are effectively ablative armor for the Azraels, which have our only weapons. So don't leave a third of that hanging. And that's without even going into the morality of sacrificing people and ships like that.

E: hell, if we're doing this then it's better to just come to a full stop, at least that sends some kind of message to them

Our slow ships are completely reliant on the Azraels, to the extent that I would say we should change our nebula doctrine. Treat the missile destroyers and all the other ships that don't have nebula-capable weapons or that can't keep up with the Azraels like the support ships. Just leave them in the rear.

Anta fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 6, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Mikl posted:

We wouldn't be sacrificing people and ships, since we don't know if they're going to get fired upon; personally I don't think so, I would never send someone to their certain death. I cannot 100% guarantee they won't get shot at, of course. But considering that some of our ships can't outpace the aliens, sooner or later they will get into weapons range, and I'd very much prefer for it to be on our terms, and I'd like to send a message. Stopping a ship and letting them approach says "we want to talk, let's get to know each other."

All of that applies to keeping the squadron together. Either they shoot or they don't.

If they don't, fine and good.

If they do however, and the squadron is together they have a fighting chance. If you send one ship as a sacrifice you've given up one-fifth of the squadrons tonnage to almost certain death, and the rest of the squadron still has to fight, only this time with only 4/5ths of their tonnage available. There is no scenario where we get away with losing only the sacrificial ship, unless that somehow sates their thirst for destruction, they have enough of a speed advantage to make sure of that.

It's a bad move. If you want to do the non-shooty way, do it with the whole squadron.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

We have 4 lasers in the entire squadron, gently caress playing coy and go head on at them.

Best case scenario is that they're pre-genned and just have missile launchers, thus they will have to ram us.
Worst case is Saros lovingly hand crafted this Xeno scum and they're bristling with lasers with which to give us hugs with.

Either way, we're going to have to use this destroyer squadron to find out. Best make it quick. The downside to that is that our fire control is only rated to 6250, not the 8750 to 10k that the closing rate will be.

We probably outrange them, that's why we want to kite them.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

The way I see it is if we want to not warn them off or fire warning shots (and possibly shoot them up from range), we need to go all in on the peaceful approach. Keep the squadron together, full stop, maybe turn off actives (we should still see them with passive EM sensors).

That should signal non-aggression to aliens amenable to that, while still letting us have a chance in a fight. How quickly can we turn actives back on for a fight?

Leaving a sacrificial ship has huge downsides and no upside in case of hostile aliens while no real upside in case of friendly (or neutral) aliens.

Hell, in case of weird aliens they might think it's a gift or something

Anta fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 7, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

pun pundit posted:

What kind of +/- Fanatics response is this? If my ship were part of the detachment I would happily volunteer to fall behind and test the hostility of these ships!

The best way to do so would be for the bait ship to fall behind with the beam ships, then when the alien contacts enter max effective beam range the beam ships would accelerate away to keep that range. That way they are in position to instantly retaliate.

Again, the best way to do this is to just keep the squadron together. If we want to have the Azraels detach to keep their distance that's fine, but there is no way we can get away with the two other ships anyway. If they start shooting we either win the fight or all three slow boats die.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Nevets posted:

Totally serious, actually. You could lock the average goon in a closet with a starving honey badger and an investment banker and he'd try to form an alliance with the animal.

As he should :colbert:

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

I'd say we should try to draw it away from the jump point if possible. It might be just the first ship coming through and we sure don't want to be fighting it right next to the JP if any reinforcements come through.

Anta fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 14, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

When things come through the JP they're stunned with jump shock so if anything that's almost the preferred point to fight them at.

That really requires us to not be busy shooting up the first ship already. The jump shock is probably not enough to outweigh the advantage of engaging piecemeal.

It also puts us closer to our own salvage craft, reinforcements etc.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

So how bad are these boarders? Are we looking at having to kill two of our ships, are we in for some rough ship-board combat or did they just deliver us some snacks?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

It occurs to me that if the Terrans are in this system with us we need to add some clauses to the Lunar Accords to deal with situations like this. If the jump network is actually more of a jump grid we need some kind of agreement in place to determine sovereignty. I would suggest a system that connects to both start points belongs to whoever can trace the shortest path to their excursive point back in Sol.

One problem with this approach is, what happens if we find a good system, spend time and resources building it up and then Terra finds a shorter route through their side of the network. Are we supposed to give up this hypothetical nice system we spent time and effort on? And what happens to every system down the chain? Do those also change hands? It was hilarious when we did it to the Terrans with the first treaty, but we don't really want it happening in reverse.

Under this approach, to be sure that the system is ours we need to find and explore every jump-point n jumps out from the system, where n is the number of jumps to Ranginui. Right now that's just all the points in the Pit and Graveyard systems, but when we get further out, that's a lot of jump points to explore.

Also what happens when the distance is the same number of jumps?

We at least need some mechanism to resolve things like that if we choose this approach.

Fray posted:

This is literally what the treaty says already.

How does it handle a new, shorter path being found?

edit: Found the treaty. Depending on how the language is interpreted it's possible that it has these problems. It makes exceptions for "settlements that had already begun before a link was discovered". If this means only settlements are exceptions then the rest of the system (and by definition all systems down the chain) might change ownership. I assume this was thoroughly lawyered out in the discord or thread, but I don't remember how it went.

Luna Accords posted:

• Further connected systems owership.
    Any further systems which can be reached via both Ranginui and Nova Sol will be ceeded to the party which has the least amount of systems in a direct path back to Sol. Systems an equal 'distance' will be shared.

• Further Jump points in Sol
    Any further jump points from Sol and systems beyond them will remain open to exploration and settlement of anyone. Jump chains that link to Nova Sol or Ranganui will apply the same back-tracking ownership rule as above with exceptions for settlements that had already begun before a link was discovered.

Anta fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 20, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What's it made of?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Dance Officer posted:

Y'all just cost us a warship over something that was a very safe assumption to make. I hope you're happy with the results.

A survey ship. Sometimes the surveying is done by violently dying, it's what they're for.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Never mind the Cornucopia, how many jumps did this thread go through?

Too many, judging by the last few pages.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

Stand down, stand down! We will heave-to and activate our transponder! Terran battlegroup, please stand down; we mean no harm!

Aaaaaaaaand here come the “muh plus-slash-minus fanatics” crowd telling us we should ram our only jump capable, unarmed exploratory vessel down the throat of a UT warship out of sheer spite.

You're not wrong about what to do, but that is not even close to our only exploration ship. They're some of the most expendable things we have (until we run low on them, of course). We will likely keep losing them.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

I bet they are lost penguins.

They're Fart Crabs. You can see the little [PIT] after their designation.

Also they came for dinner.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

silentsnack posted:

There are no relevant decisions here besides "try and scout The Fortress while hoping their berserk aggression means they don't have anything else waiting on the other side?"

Haha, I love this. If they have nothing on the other side do we then do the comedy thing of jumping back and forth every time they chase us?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Dr. Snark posted:

Okay yeah when I saw the results in the Discord I thought the situation might be tenable but now I'm looking at those damage readouts and I can safely say there's no way in hell we can hold the Pit at this point. Kill that last fartcrab ship, then it's time to loving go.

I think it entirely depends on whether these aliens have morale we can break.

Fights are not just about mechanics, they're just as much about morale.
If these things aren't mindless automatons, they might feel they're losing and want to GTFO. Or even that they're winning but that it's getting too expensive.

I don't think we can win if they commit to a fight, but we might make it a very expensive victory for them.

It's an interesting thing about these fights in the nebula. Every time, we have gone all in, win or die, because we know we can't get away (and well, +/- fanatics).

They on the other hand, can get away, with their faster ships, so they have the option of withdrawing. We don't, so we are forced to be aggressive. We're a cornered animal, while they still can have thoughts of surviving and getting home, which means that if they're actually fleeing now, that makes perfect sense.

That is, if they're fleeing. If the fight continues, we won't have much of our cruiser squadrons left.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Either way, we're about to find out whether they're nebula focused or not when they jump into Nova Sol.

On that note, we really want to observe that fight, preferably with active sensors. I don't know if the Farseer is capable of doing that.

Do we have any ships in Rangi that could jump to Nova Sol to observe? Hell, our Dreadnoughts are about to arrive in Rangi, how long would it take them to go to Nova Sol through Rangi instead of to the Pit JP, in case Earth requests help? I mean we do still have a mutual defense clause in the treaty.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

sebmojo posted:

are you saying our observation ship the Far See-er: can't see?

e: b/c if so i'm writing a strongly worded communigram to my arcology lead comrade

Turns out it's named the Farseeker. And is a survey ship, so it's really good at looking at rocks and gravitational phenomena. Less so at observing battles. (I don't think it has active sensors, and not that much in the way of passives).

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Fray posted:

Nah, someone is chasing you down in aurora is inherently hostile, it pretty much means one thing. If we find more aliens and they act in a similar fashion, I'm voting to engage again.

This is kind of a dangerous sort of metagaming. In Aurora you're usually playing the AI, which yeah, acts like that. We're not playing the AI here. We shouldn't expect AI-like responses or behavior.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Fray posted:

There still is no reason for unresponsive ships to chase us down and pull within beam range that is more likely than "they're going to shoot beams at us" or "they're going to board us."

Oh yeah, I completely agree, that's most likely a hostile act. I just don't want us to fall into the trap of metagaming things like this. I remember seeing lots of spoiler tags or references to various in-game enemies in the other Aurora LP (and maybe earlier when we first ran into the Fart Crabs), with people immediately recognizing some contact or other from previous experience with the game, which takes something out of it IMO (I suspect the odd insistence that the Fart Crabs had to be drones to be some of that).

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Send the fleet, split the fleet. Try to coordinate the cruiser/destroyer detachment with the Terran pickets for best chances.

Not Alex posted:

Ok, so the dreads are irrelevant. The faster ships are this world's only hope.

Changing my vote. May as well try for a Hail Mary.

So can the cruisers take em? We have a lot of holes in our armor.

Different cruisers, these are fresh ships, straight from Mars.

Anta fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 5, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Another Question that Should be asked?

When we explored the Cylinder in Mouterre did we happen to encounter any trapped ships matching any of the Fart Krab designs?

And how far in are the nearest, most recent ships? How old would they be?

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

RA Rx posted:

Reads update: Jeeze, we really are full communist, not social democrat?
Well, at least TNEs mean we're post scarcity and it can actually work.

More importantly, another potential alien friend!

Those are the Titan Free State guys. But also yes.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

I like that Speedy is completely baffled that we don't want to immediately genocide whatever species is down there.

Says something about what kind of universe this is.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So wait, how far away is this from Sol? If Speedy knows about Pluto, it should know where our home star is. Given that this is likely in a location that's fairly close to Sol, it's entirely reasonable that we've only been a starfaring species for a very, very short time by the time we got into contact with it. It's not like you become a starfaring species and then just sit on your rear end for a couple of aeons.

Current Discord theory (or at least my theory) is that the data capsule the Titans got from us was actually a Facility submind, and that's how Speedy knows about Pluto.

Saros posted:

Interlude 18 Part 2 - The Speedy

Before the scientists can do anything foolish Comrade-Commander Smith orders his executive officer to lock them out of the comm network. Retrieving a small data-capsule from the secure panel set into the captain's station he contemplates it.

“Little Humans!” it exclaims, “Gone digging and found an old repair station have you? Perhaps on the ninth planet? You also ruined my mysterious missing primes fun which is unfortunate but no matter.”

“You must be terrible company because let me tell you whoever wrote that submind was in quite the state! I thought we built those outpost minds to be solitary

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

LLSix posted:

Ah, but there is a law explicitly against eating other sentients! The Martian Colonial Charter specifically states that it is illegal for any sentient to eat another sentient regardless of their shape, size, race, color, religion , national origin, or planetary origin. Our original founders were still worried about what might happen to native lifeforms that had thus far not been discovered when hungry colonists encountered them.

Ah, but Krabs have yet to be proven sentient. Attempts at closing this loophole (by proving them sentient) has so far only resulted in producing more tragically delicious Krab-bits.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Not Alex posted:

Please don't start making a fuss about who gets to eat the roadkill during our big hero moment.

In this case, literally

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Volmarias posted:

WRT Martian AMMs "defanging" the threat of interplanetary MAD, in our actual timeline the USA's deployment of ballistic missile interceptors, unproven and possibly ineffective as they are, have been considered an unacceptable provocation by Russia. A nation that cannot be threatened with MAD is one whose demands cannot be countered. An anti-missile shield around Mars, if we choose to make one, must be a highest-level secrecy project and one only deployed once we are utterly certain of our superiority to make the action a fait accompli rather than a provocation.

Missile defense is incredibly destabilizing in a MAD situation because it enables the side that has it to just straight up destroy the other side. Or at least believe they can, which raises the likelihood of them trying, by a lot. Even if both sides have it the advantage goes to whoever shoots first (at least on Earth it does, theoretically) because the missile defense then has a better chance of stopping the diminished return fire (assuming the first strike takes out some of the other sides weapons).

We can't expect Earth to not want to respond to our AMM deployment in some way.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

BwenGun posted:

It's a difficult one, I almost want to suggest we approach them openly about it and offer to start a phased reduction in IPBM whilst both of us build anti-missile platforms. Not so much breaking MAD as gradually reducing it's spectre until it matters to neither side.

Ironically, I fear that our tour de force in Nova Sol, rubbing our superior fleet in their face will make them less likely to want to break MAD. MAD is to the advantage of the weaker conventional power, who would lose otherwise. If they now think themselves weaker or fear they would lose a conventional war they might want to hold on to MAD.

e:

Actually, my thinking is that we do the AMM thing, go whole hog with it but keep it as secret as possible. Let them think MAD is in effect while we use our +/- fanatics reputation and do some good old-fashioned brinkmanship if they try anything.

If they get discovered, then they're anti-Krab weapons.

Also, we're taking the IC, no sharing, no buying.

Anta fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 20, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Nevets posted:

You guys do know that immediately giving all the 'emancipated' proles 8 weeks paid vacation, unlimited sick leave and a 50% wage increase is going to result in a massive loss of efficiency on the newly 'liberated' shipyards & factories right when we want them churning out our new Nebula pattern ships, right?

That's just not how workers or people in general work. Especially if they're working for themselves instead of the IC bossman.

They're not going to be cheaper but they're sure as hell going to be more efficient than slave or serf labor.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

Voting Dominion of Sol and Fleet Project Alpha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

We never would win economically, we're so much smaller. What we're doing is shaking the dancefloor and trusting that we're the better dancer. And we are, Mars is disciplined and united in purpose (with the obvious expections), UT is fracturing and full of internal stresses.

Don't think of it as starting a fire in order to burn things down, think of it as starting a fire to change the battlefield to our advantage.

e: and we don't want a war with Terra, we want a weakened Terra that goes along with whatever we need to beat the crabs and unable to gently caress with us like they usually do.

And even better, they can't use us as an external enemy to galvanize support this time. We just showed them there is a really dangerous enemy out there, and we're the ones that can deal with those so they better get behind us.

Anta fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 5, 2018