Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

"Sir, why are our helm controls returning an address we're supposed to send 'bitcoins' to?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We shall convert them, Metal Lord! TO RADIOACTIVE VAPOR!

Someone saying they're going to "save you all" is very ominous, and I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing in the picture that was posted. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pharnakes posted:

Stop projecting your human inadequacies on our new friend.

My human inadequacies, like all human inadequacies, are sufficiently covered by surrounding myself with the finest missile based firepower Mars can make. :colbert:

Also Facility will forever be an It in my mind, because it has surpassed the need for biological pronoun bickering. As long as there isn't a Space equivalent to C-16, I'm fiiiine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

See, Comrade at least identifies it as being friendly too us, so that's fine. That's the only identifier Facility needs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Facility is our metallic space auntie. I love you, space auntie, but you're also incredibly frightening.

Just eat the cookies. :witch:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

punched my v-card at camp posted:

So what's the deal with facility referring to the whatever tried to get in as "kin"?

Well, it straight up told us it was part of an intergalactic society of some kind, and clearly the portal it had us try to open was trying to re-establish contact with what Facility thought was where it's prior compatriots were. Whatever we saw on the other side must have been putting out familiar transmissions (albeit mad and possibly demonic) to what Facility is used to seeing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

How much damage (in practice) do those Size 8 torps do? :swoon:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was mostly curious what kind of damage they did relative to that penetration test we got for the Giant Spinal Laser of Doom.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nick Esasky posted:

proposing to make half or more of the fleet hybrids IS basing the fleet entirely on them, as the fleets' behaviour will have to be dictated by their limitations. That is far too drastic a doctrinal change for a reason that should have little relevance for this generation of ships. Why is it that we didn't make hybrid cruisers before if it was such a good idea?

The logic of "If it were a good idea, we'd already be doing it, so it must be poo poo" is the most hilariously realistic Bureaucrat thinking I've seen to date.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The giant spinal doom lasers remind me of when someone was telling me about the Star Wars EU, and apparently in one of the books the Empire decides it can't really afford ANOTHER Death Star, but they have one of the planet killer guns lying around so gently caress it let's just strap some engines on that bitch and call it a ship!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

1) B. Facility can speak to our leadership, but due to current tensions and the apparent untrustworthiness of Terran command, we can't claim that Terran leadership are actually in a position to act on any Intel Facility may provide, and thus do not meet Facilities requirements.

2): Tell the UT they can kiss our proud Martian asses, with plenty of tongue action. They want to try some Darth Vader "we have altered the deal" bullshit, but that doesn't work when we have interplanetary nukes too. If they're that interested in OUR system, we'll be amiable to listening to their proposal to pay us (heavily, in advance) in technology and resources for access. If they don't want to pay the toll, they can get the gently caress off our bridge. We had people blow up A MOON to try and scare us, you think we're afraid of them now?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Let's just reuse one of the plans they had to take out Castro. Those were all sound plans, right?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Starfleet would get its rear end kicked by extradimensional entities in 10 minutes. The only reason they didn't get stomped into the dirt by their enemies in the first place despite their inconsistent and hairbrained policies is because they had literally unlimited energy, and then the ability to turn that energy into anything they wanted through what was basically magic.

If we want to go the peace and love in space route, maybe facility can hook us up with some kind of crazy alien tech that will make it less obvious that the only other power UT is aware of killed their leader and use that to off Putin, then use that as proof that we need to group up against aliens? Kind of a long shot, but somehow more likely to work than diplomacy with God Emperor Putin.

Still think that's kind of a nutso idea. If we team up, they're basically just buying us out and they get all the control. It's like a business merger between a big company and a small company. They say the small company will get input, and people will be evaluated fairly to keep their jobs, etc, but really they're just buying the small company and gently caress you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The bigger concession you're giving up by renegotiating at the drop of the hat is that they can take anything they want from us at anytime and that all treaties are worthless, because they can just say "Oh, you ended up with something nice? No, we're renegotiating, you give that to us now. Maybe you can have a nice thing next time."

We don't have to be able to win a war against them. We just have to look crazy enough that we're willing to fight one. MAD is still in effect, and even Putin has to respect that. Showing such obvious weakness will only lead to them coming for more.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

MAD still works here because Putin has to live on Earth (for now) and if Earth is an irradiated cinder, then he can't have crazy parties and double-annex Crimea or whatever it is he does for fun. Soon as he and his friends get some space dachas somewhere we can't touch, all bets are off. But for now it still works.

Even then he still has to soooort of care, if only because it's hard to keep morale up when the homeworld of humanity and the bulk of the human race has been reduced to ash. In the short term, we can still use the implied threat of force to get a better deal. At the very least, if we show it now when we CAN use it, he might be less willing to call our bluff in an borderline situation like that in the future (though not frequently).

+/- Zealots, baby!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Senator Harris must be making GBS threads himself right now. Good, good. Maybe the bastard will help us out without a doublecross for once, if only because he's genuinely terrified we're going to kill everyone in a rain of atomic fire. Man, I hope he doesn't have the resources to sabotage our missile silos.

Hopefully Terra realizes this is the situation they're in. It's up to UT Leadership now whether or not they think it's worth the risk.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Inglonias posted:

More of the "I have no idea what this is, let's desperately try to blow it the gently caress up before it kills us all" approach to panic.

We just skip step 1. The first guy to poke a hornet's nest with a stick regretted it, and became the guy who came back at step 2 and set that bitch aflame.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

On an unrelated note, we should get Facility a cute pet. Like a puppy, or a panda or something. It'll teach it attachment to organic life and maybe keep it from going crazy and killing us all in the future.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pyroi posted:

I hear that there are some buddies in the space between Jumps, maybe we can get Facility one of those :3

Those aren't cute, or even confirmed to be organic! :argh:

Seriously though. All Facilitiy's friends are dead (except the doctor). Everybody loves puppies.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's attached to specific organic life (the doctor). We also kind of want it to see us as a step between a pet and itself, rather than us being the equivalent of a puppy.

It will give Facility perspective.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wait, I thought we were threatening this war over Space Ragu. I need some archeotech pasta sauce for my spaghetti!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sniper4625 posted:

I feel like the existence of a species-ending threat is just the kind of thing to put paid to petty diplomatic squabbles like the above.

You would think, except the people in positions of power got there by having their entire career being a series of conflicts ended by being the guy who could shout "OH YOU WANNA FIGHT, I'LL KILL YOU!" the loudest. They're not going to take any threat seriously until it is inside whatever bunker they're hiding in, biting the heads off their security personnel. Humanity naturally believes we can kick anythings rear end, because so far we have been able to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think the implication is that if we tell Putin about Facility, he'll believe the part about the AI (as we have jump tech) but assume we made all the magic space dragon stuff up so we can buy time to catch up and surpass them in tech, instead of him just killing us all and taking the tech (and Ragu) for themselves.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sniper4625 posted:

I'd assume the first Terran scientists to have a chat with Facility would be able to testify rather compellingly against it all being a Martian fabrication. Or maybe they wouldn't, and we have to fall back on war anyway, but at least this way we'd have exhausted all other possibilities.

Indeed, including the possibility of victory, because we can't beat them in a straight up fight, especially if they've already gotten far enough to have boots on the ground on friggin Pluto.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Truly, granting them access to a wealth of advanced technology will ensure Peace in Our Time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

Please do not try to appease the brutal authoritarian kleptocrats, it's worked so well in the past.

Maybe we can just offer them the entire TFS in exchange for not pointing their scaaaaary guns at is for a few more hours.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'll take "no guarnatee we can win" over "no chance we can win", honestly.

Legitimately, what do you hope to gain by giving away our only advantages to a faction that has already proven they have no desire to give us a fair shake in anything, and that is literally run by Space Putin? Because if we give away our advantage and then be like "Oh okay, we tried appeasement, now we can fight guys!" it's not going to work. One, they'll know that we have no choice BUT to fight at that point, two they'll have all the more reason to fight to take our fancy toys away immediately so we can't catch up, and three, we lost all chance of simply using a threat of force instead of actual force.

And the net gain if it works? We get to officially be Putin's bitch. Whoopee.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Not Alex posted:

Appeasement has never failed catastrophically.

Especially when your appeasement offer is to essentially let their scientists into your Manhattan Project as your opening offer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Regardless of what our counteroffer is, we need to be sure we don't let UT make the call regarding anything in the Ragni system. If they get a colony, we pick what size, what kind, and where in system, not them. You don't come onto our land and start bossing us around.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, I'd point out that crude map that shows Nova Sol on it is probably their shittiest system because we know from the tracking data their Commodore (64!) gave us that they've been through at least 3 systems, and logically they'd only tell us about the existence of the shittiest one if we wanted to try and be like "you have to give us a colony in your system too!"

They should surrender their exploratory data so we can review it prior to negotiating (for all their extra-solar exploration), since they've already been scanning our system. Then we can bargain all above board and not have to worry about any unfortunate misunderstandings that may result in interplanetary thermonuclear war.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Why are the appeasers so dead set on giving Earth free access to the advanced tech ruins? Especially under the auspice of some bullshit joint venture where we're in this exact situation a year from now, except everybody has had a year to prepare for war? Don't we have less industrial capacity than the UT? They'd just churn out more ships, possibly using the tech they found from OUR ruins.

If you want to give them access to some kind of settlement in Ragni, fine, we probably can't get away with shutting them out entirely. But it shouldn't be any of the good poo poo, and it shouldn't be on any of their terms. Otherwise, enjoy getting skull hosed by Putin with superweapons you handed him two years from now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The idea is that at this moment, they wouldn't know how prepared for war we really are. Right now, the threat of force might work. If we postpone for a year, they know at the end of that year it is guaranteed war. So they spend all their time trying to out-prepare us for war.

Unless we're confident that we have a superweapon from Facility we can get out in the field in 10 months, delaying for a year just gets you an assured war, against a much more prepared opponent. With no chance of threatening them to a cease fire unless we already have such a strong position they KNOW they can't fight us, which is unlikely.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Friend Commuter posted:

I'd like to remind the thread that, although we cut them down to size, the IC is still Sol's third power by a comfortable margin. Thus. if Mars and Terra destroy each other, the Corporates win.

I'm pretty sure if we get to the point we're launching the nukes, we're lobbing a few of the spares at the IC out of spite.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Out of curiosity, when they're agreeing that we would exclusively own future "jump links" out of Ragni, is it that we own the points themselves, or the systems those points link to? Wouldn't want to end up in this situation again when UT has ~*mysteriously*~ ended up having ships in another system that we would have logical claim to but not air-tight, undisputable ink on the page spelling it out.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Edited:

1C now that it's an official option, I guess. I think it's somewhat exploitable, but at least it's bidirectionally exploitable and more easily by us in the short term? Hard to say. Way too tired to think it through coherently. If it's good enough for the Cryo crew, it must not be selling our soul for pennies on the dollar.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 6, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I also edited my vote. It's not quite as far as I'd push, but if that falls on the side of quick acceptance, its not really worth a much larger argument for only slightly more gain.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Striving to be seen as equals to those chumps on Earth is selling ourselves short. We are clearly superior. :ussr:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If we take possession of Unicron, does it become a shitload of motorized tonnage in-system as Mars Con assets? :tinfoil:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

quote:

Both sides are not required to report further Xenoarcheoligical discoveries, however they are required to report contact with active Xeno intelligences or life as soon as practicable.

:thunk:

Did they just sneak one by us? As worded, we technically would be expected to report Facility's existence. Was this in the 1C we voted for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

if the UT balks at that for whatever reason, we could always declare it extra-solar lifeforms or intelligences, since Facility is a proper citizen of our solar system.