Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

quote:

Martian Colonial Federation space-based non-self propelled tonnage will not be subject to nor influence these tonnage levels.

This line allows Mars to have pods in fleet battles of equal tonnage, if no one noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Those emotionless captains? They are not mindwormed. They are Protected

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Being brainwormed prevents it. all hail the brain worm

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Tranquil pilots are protected from the dream demons.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Implant mindworms in all captains

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Remember the IC captain that was emotionally dead? Perhaps involved in Illuminati Jump Experiments.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Yes

Also if there are any MaXCom slots left, Strap me in kevlar, give me a grenade and a lovely AR

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 18, 2017

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Build up Ranganui

Quiet release of jump sickness to public martian news

Survey Galileo

Name it Marrok

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

can an unmanned drone go through a gate?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Right, I knew an unstabilised one would only let the semi sentiant past. a Gate is different and should be tested at least once.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Pit

You all realise that our shields and missiles are secondary. lets get into a knife fight in a closet with spinal mounts

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Fire once their ambassador ship embarks to contact us

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Definite need to change doctrine in the nebula to beam only. PD will have to be handled by guass. but that would be anti fighter vs anti missile.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

From the look of this outpost, its possible that the aliens at this listening post are all there is. how effective can cryo/suspended animation get? might they have been waiting there a few millenium? An outpost that was missed in the last great purge?

Anyway, lets tell Earth Yes

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Dont fire until fired on, they may be friendly!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

a carrier that big could carry 12 of those 1000 ton LACs pretty easy

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

theory crafting, with theoretical +2 tech levels, how dangerous would a half kiloton fighter be that had 6 layers of armor and engines to put it to 7500km/s? carrier could carry 24 of those, but i dont see how anything that light would have weapons+ ecm+engines. and our PD ships would be rather dangerous to them either way.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If its a warship in the first place, as others have said. is the best defense against mesons miss chance?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Staying out of range might not be an option. We will see what the Shiva pulls in speed next update if nothing else. 10k engines + 8 layers armor minimum is my guess

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

We are already sending word back to Sol. First thing first we need to see what capabilities it shows us by how it moves. It knows we are here, we were blasting actives the entire time, plus the missing LAC would likely have passed on a message.

Gather the task force and challenge the Shiva.

+/- Fanatics

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Note, I said Challenge, not attack. If we start getting powerful active/targetting sensors off that thing, that is a very good indication of function as military vs civie. head toward it, hang back at 1.5 to 2 light seconds, and peel the paint off with our own active sensors.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Put Mars IFF on it, fly it where Earth can see it, and "What, this? oh we had this for a while. its our old model."

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Would it be possible to make Pseudo missles with giant hunks of armor/engines and ram 500 ton fighters into it set to self destruct? or 'dock' with it and do the same? Or spinal mount one shots. like one of those 'fires every 90 minutes designs I saw earlier.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 16, 2017

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Coat our ships in boarding pods. the armor will be much thicker than what we are using.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Pulse target locks at them in morse code.

"Tango wants a cracker"

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Wait until the last second to fire, we don't know if THESE ships are hostile.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I bet they are lost penguins.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

:( they were not penguin friends.

Anyway, right now? Pull to Ranganui and hold our jump point. figure how far from the unknown jump point we need to stay to keep from being run down, keep some picket ships in the pit to warn our salvage crews, and warn UT with all relevant info we have on the aliens. As it stands now, we do not have the capability to hold the pit.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Godzilla Worms you say. in that case, perhaps they will be our friends. When we meet the Godzilla worms, dont fire until we know if they are hostile :downs:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I don't disagree. I'm just being.. dumb about this as a bit of a joke. Each situation is unique, but firing at first sight is a dumb thing to do. We gave the crabliens opportunity to have peaceful contact and they didnt take it. Doesn't mean that the next aliens will fire on sight. Or it might, and we should, because the aliens that survive purge the others, hence all the ruined worlds we keep finding.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Send the fleet, Split the fleet.

on a strategic note: stop trying ot outrace Terra in tech and help them to our level. Yes if they turn on us their industry will gut us, but we have crabliens to kill. So far all the systems out of Sol have been placed so no one nation can claim it. Therefor it is the birthright of ALL humanity, not just Mars or Terra to claim the stars. Time to put aside differences of home planet or nation. We need a united front. We have crabliens to kill. UNION OF SOL

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If Terra takes enough losses, we can make it a Martian protectorate

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

My first reaction was that something is harvesting the Tenaean crabs without the ship knowing to use as jump tax batteries, like certain Martians proposed previously.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

taken from the funny pictures thread

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

A little question, doesnt knowing which planet the colony is on require a survey, or is that only for ruins? Or do colonies broadcast 'gently caress you, I am a colony' to the galaxy?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

Tell them that we're now at war with an alien race that threatens to exterminate all of mankind. As such, we need your ships, all of your sorium is getting nationalized, and all production will be equally distributed between Mars and Earth.

No you don't have a say in this.

And I got told Lol no, when i proposed this very line of thought. sure, i left out details, but Union of Sol.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Missiles are built from 5 components. Engine, Agility, Warhead, Sensors, Fuel. Each have their own effect on the size, range, accuracy, and speed of the missile. As tech advances, you can trade some of t hose for smaller size or better effect.

Typical warhead sizes are based on damage your missile does, not any particular tech. The missiles used in the first war with IC were size 2, with warheads that did 4 damage. Based on how damage patterns are shaped for missiles, there are break points you want to hit in your damage numbers. Warhead 1 sand papers armor, removing only 1 bit of armor. Good for anti fighter and anti missile missiles. warhead 4 removes 3 outer layers bits, and 1 inner layer. Our beam ships have 3 layers of armor. Decent anti ship when used in numbers. Warhead 9 is 5 outer, 3 mid, and 1 bit from the third layer third. this allows warheads to dig into the armor better, and the warhead size used on current torpedoes. The next break point is 16 damage, digging to the 4th layer, then after that for 5 layers with a 25 damage warhead.

Whats important about the crabliens is they have better engine tech than anything from Sol. They might have tech 2 levels over us. What this effects is the missiles engines. faster means harder to hit with our own counter missiles and point defense guns. your point defense targetting has a speed it can target and your guns have a turn rate they can track. our current anti missile defenses are specced to go against things going 20kkm/sec. with about an 80% hit rate vs such. The crabliens have shown missiles moving at 40kkm/sec. our hit rates vs that are going to suck, but not nearly as bad as what we would have seen with old fleet, and what the Terrans are bringing to bear.

Did i get all that right?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

could we design a special PDC anti missile missile based on a size 2 chassis that was still a size 1 or 2 warhead, and pump engine and agility through the roof to compete with whats being fired at us? Edit: or is that still limited by fire control?

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

how hard would it be to up the warhead on our AMMs? useless hits are useless.