Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
It's been a little while since I played Aurora (UNFRAD for life!), and I'm not totally familiar with where our tech level is at in this game, but wouldn't it be feasible for us to go for a cruiser with multiple fire controls and Size 1 launchers, that could be a dedicated AEGIS ship for us? The range doesn't even need to be that long, since they'd be used primarily for defensive fire -- just needs to be enough to give more salvos than a gauss cannon will. Even having just one of those in the fleet would help mitigate the impact of incoming blobs of 50x missile salvos. Neuter the enemy's range advantage and they'll be forced to fight us in beam range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I mean, even if we're only getting 10-25% interception rates, that's not an insignificant amount of mitigation, especially since it happens at range, before our CIWS/Gauss/PD kicks in, and has the added bonus of being able to be used offensively (either to sandpaper down wounded ships, or crack fighters, etc.)

I know they work well in Aurora, from previous games; I just don't know if they're feasible at our current tech level vs. known IC missile speeds.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Are we sure those Terran ships aren't headed to Pluto, btw? Because as far as I'm concerned there is nothing more important to us than protecting our current control of Pluto, and the possibility of establishing a dominant position in our inevitable interstellar, trans-species politics.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'm stuck on a terrible road trip, and can't get onto the spreadsheet to dorf myself. Can someone please add me to the list, with preference for a missile boat of some kind (a CLAA would be preferable, but a DDG would work too.) TIA.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

OwlFancier posted:

Can't you just put all the fighters in a big net and tow them behind the carrier like nuclear armed crabs?

Deadliest Catch: Mars

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Here's what I'd like to see re: jump points and ownership.

quote:

1. Jump points, whether stabilized or not, cannot be owned by any party.
2. Systems may be exclusively owned by one or more nations, but only those signatory to this agreement.
3. In any system with exclusive ownership, all parties signatory to this agreement are allowed a travel easement directly between any two jump points in the system. Any deviation from a direct path between the jump points may be interpreted by the exclusive owners as a hostile action.
4. Systems with no inhabitable planets are not eligible for exclusive ownership by any party.
5. Exclusive ownership of a system may not be claimed until both an entry and exit jump point have been conclusively detected.

Note: this includes nothing on what the process is to *claim* exclusive ownership. That's a secondary issue.

This does a number things for us.

Clauses #1 and #3 somewhat mitigates the whole "welp, they're camping the jump gate" problem.
(For those unfamiliar with Aurora, going through a jump gate causes "exhaustion" on the other side ranging from tens of seconds to a couple minutes. You are highly vulnerable to being trashed by ships camping the other side of the gate).

Clause #2 still allows us to exclusively mine the gently caress out of whatever systems we want. However, because it applies only to signatories, anyone late to the party is fair game (e.g. aliens, a resurgent IC, the TFS if they don't sign now, etc.). It also allows for a puppet state relationship, or a mutually agreed scenario where we "split" a system.

Clauses #3 and #4 keeps us from being locked behind a dead-end jump chain. Systems with no inhabitable planets may still have a jump chain that can be developed. They may also have asteroids, comets, etc. with resources we can grab.

Clause #5 means that the "end point" of a chain is also fair game. It also means that we get a window in which we can try and gently caress with Terran's chain of ownership (or help prevent us from getting trapped in a dead end) if we can colonize a planet in a system *before* an exit JP is located. The main way this might come up is in a hostile system, where surveys can't be completed until the threats are eliminated. It gives us an opportunity for "to the victor go the spoils". Also, the provision of Clause #3 means that if anyone tries to do this to us, we should be able to see it coming. (Yes, this works in reverse, but hopefully we're smarter than our opponents).

Clause #2 and Clause #3 combine to give us protection not just against mineral exploitation but also lovely surveillance activities. Snoop ship pooping around? Trying to sneak a DSTS in there? Better think twice about the ramifications of getting caught.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 9, 2017

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Might not be a bad time to revisit my proposed framework for JP and interstellar passage treaties.

In this context, it'd give us both guaranteed rights of passage through either JP, while allowing us to maintain our pre-agreed exclusive ownership of the systems originally agreed too (I'm operating under the logical assumption that there is no way we give up our newfound system to Terra), and would reduce tensions in the future if this were to happen again, elsewhere in the jump chain.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=476213472

Leif. posted:

Here's what I'd like to see re: jump points and ownership.

quote:

1. Jump points, whether stabilized or not, cannot be owned by any party.
2. Systems may be exclusively owned by one or more nations, but only those signatory to this agreement.
3. In any system with exclusive ownership, all parties signatory to this agreement are allowed a travel easement directly between any two jump points in the system. Any deviation from a direct path between the jump points may be interpreted by the exclusive owners as a hostile action.
4. Systems with no inhabitable planets are not eligible for exclusive ownership by any party.
5. Exclusive ownership of a system may not be claimed until both an entry and exit jump point have been conclusively detected.

Note: this includes nothing on what the process is to *claim* exclusive ownership. That's a secondary issue.

This does a number things for us.

Clauses #1 and #3 somewhat mitigates the whole "welp, they're camping the jump gate" problem.
(For those unfamiliar with Aurora, going through a jump gate causes "exhaustion" on the other side ranging from tens of seconds to a couple minutes. You are highly vulnerable to being trashed by ships camping the other side of the gate).

Clause #2 still allows us to exclusively mine the gently caress out of whatever systems we want. However, because it applies only to signatories, anyone late to the party is fair game (e.g. aliens, a resurgent IC, the TFS if they don't sign now, etc.). It also allows for a puppet state relationship, or a mutually agreed scenario where we "split" a system.

Clauses #3 and #4 keeps us from being locked behind a dead-end jump chain. Systems with no inhabitable planets may still have a jump chain that can be developed. They may also have asteroids, comets, etc. with resources we can grab.

Clause #5 means that the "end point" of a chain is also fair game. It also means that we get a window in which we can try and gently caress with Terran's chain of ownership (or help prevent us from getting trapped in a dead end) if we can colonize a planet in a system *before* an exit JP is located. The main way this might come up is in a hostile system, where surveys can't be completed until the threats are eliminated. It gives us an opportunity for "to the victor go the spoils". Also, the provision of Clause #3 means that if anyone tries to do this to us, we should be able to see it coming. (Yes, this works in reverse, but hopefully we're smarter than our opponents).

Clause #2 and Clause #3 combine to give us protection not just against mineral exploitation but also lovely surveillance activities. Snoop ship pooping around? Trying to sneak a DSTS in there? Better think twice about the ramifications of getting caught.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Why can't there be an option 1C that has us pursuing a hybrid design for one or two classes, but continue also with specialization for the rest?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Friend Commuter posted:

That's what option 1A is. The question is "should we build hybrid ships at all", because there are a lot of people who say No.

I don't see how you get that? The question was "Should we continue with specialized, or should we develop hybrids?"

quote:

1. Should we continue developing Specialized ASM Cruisers such as the Argyre, or should we develop a Hybrid Design that dedicates tonnage to include secondary beam weaponry?

1A. Specialized
1B. Hybrids

I guess I can see an argument that 1B really just means "one" hybrid design, but the way discussion has gone, it seems to be implying that 1A is "base entire fleet around specialized" and 1B is "base entire fleet around hybrids".

I'm advocating for a 1C which is "Continue developing specialized ships, but add in one or two hybrid's for multirole/frigate work."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Zaodai posted:

The giant spinal doom lasers remind me of when someone was telling me about the Star Wars EU, and apparently in one of the books the Empire decides it can't really afford ANOTHER Death Star, but they have one of the planet killer guns lying around so gently caress it let's just strap some engines on that bitch and call it a ship!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_(novel)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Sweeeeeeet, I'm commanding one of our (new) DDGs! Can I change the name?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Leif. posted:

Sweeeeeeet, I'm commanding one of our (new) DDGs! Can I change the name?

^ Would prefer to name it the Hwasong-Scinfaxi*.

*Trivia: "Hwasong" is the prefix for North Korea's ballistic missile family. Translated, it means "Mars". The Scinfaxi was the ballistic missile submarine from Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, which aside from being one of my all-time favorite games, has all kinds of parallels to this LP.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Hey Saros, can you double check whether my ship got renamed?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah, looks like it got missed (based on one of the screenshots several pages back), if you wouldn't mind renaming:

Leif. posted:

^ Would prefer to name it the Hwasong-Scinfaxi*.

*Trivia: "Hwasong" is the prefix for North Korea's ballistic missile family. Translated, it means "Mars". The Scinfaxi was the ballistic missile submarine from Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, which aside from being one of my all-time favorite games, has all kinds of parallels to this LP.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Pollux class representing like a motherfucker right here.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
plan death moon
then dominion of sol

-e- that’s preference order, not temporal order.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
1)Yes
2) Seb's choice
3) Cryo's choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Saros posted:

Thread still lives, it's just hard to make updates from a yacht in the Mediterranean :sureboat:

You're on Below Deck Mediterranean, aren't you?

Does Captain Sandy serve fartcrabs on her yacht?