Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Crash Bandicoot HD version is god drat good, though they altered the jump physics just slightly in a way that kind of sucks a bit.

Crash's expressions are amazing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ostentatious posted:

coco or crash tia

Coco is fun to play as, she's got good animations. They definitely put effort into implementing her.

She also gives a similar look of disdain. Like jesus I'm sorry it's a hard game okay!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Is coco someone you have to unlock or can you play as her regardless, and does it have an effect on any scenes that would normally have coco in them?

You can play as Coco anytime except for boss fights (and the hog riding levels) in any of the 3 games. You unlock her in each one after beating a couple levels.

Also, Crash 1 is still brutally goddamn hard, and that physics tweak I mentioned is not helping matters! It is still a blast though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Mostly I wanna know how the start of Crash 2 plays out if you're playing as Coco, like if Coco is just there telling Coco to go fetch her stuff or what :P Or if you get holographic messages from Coco telling Coco not to trust Cortex.

You don't switch from the menu, you do it in the warp rooms (or on the main map in Crash 1) by hitting R2, so you can't play as Coco until you get there.

edit: Although I'm not sure about the holographic messages, I have to get there first! I assume they just left it as is though. :sweatdrop:

edit again: Oh yeah, actually, those happen after boss fights, so you can't be playing as Coco when you get them either. I guess they thought about that!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

You ever have one of those eureka moments where you get this really bright idea for something except you know it's actually a really stupid idea and you have no idea why your brain is treating it as a bright idea?

All the time, that's why I started doing let's plays!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, no they didn't keep Crash 1's old weird save system, they all use the save slot system now from 3 and you can save at any time on the map by hitting R2 or L2 or something. I don't know why that person said 'yes' to that question

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I genuinely hoped smellovision would never become a reality because I can't think of anything so nauseating to experience but well here we are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My eyes and ears are the only things that should experience digital media, I do not want video games to become those Universal Studios theater experiences where a metal brush thing under your seat tickles your legs to simulate a rat running by

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samuringa posted:

Don't need videogames to spend time with a girl either yet here we are.

I've met every romantic partner I've ever had (male and female) through a shared interest in video games so what now bithc

video games own

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also, I didn't realize this collection actually had three plats (not that I'll be able to get any of them)

Getting relics in Crash 1 is really painful because there's almost nothing you can do except "play perfectly", since Crash's run speed is static and a lot of the levels are straight timing-based platforming, so it's probably not worth doing them for the trophies unless you REALLY like the challenge.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

Characters in dating sims don't count.

Mordja posted:

But enough about your Visual Novels.

E:fb

Please don't be jealous of my vampire president samurai girlfriend

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It also was the title of last june's thread iirc

edit: I know it's been the thread title joke in the past, I just don't remember when.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crash HD review: It's great! It's a pretty much faithful recreation of the old games with a new coat of paint and they're just as good now as they were back then. However, Crash moves slower and has absolutely no momentum so it's way harder and less fair than the originals. Crash 2 and 3 are definitely more built around it but 1 suffers greatly. Some of the one-full-Crash-length jumps are almost undoable. The new relic time trials for 1 are infuriating and are not fun in the slightest because they just amount to "play perfectly" because there's no way to make Crash go faster. Lots of quality of life improvements but they don't really help the poor movement physics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Are you sure Crash 1 want always like that, because that's how I remember it.

Also whoever said crash 1 had the the PlayStation era bad save system taint reaped all of you

Yes, I'm sure. It bothered me so much that I did a direct comparison by playing them side by side and I confirmed it for myself. Crash has momentum in the old games but in the new ones he stops on a dime when you let go of the control stick, but not exactly on a dime, it's just enough to throw you off but not enough for him to actually stop when you want him to. He also just moves slightly slower in general. Additionally the jump is slightly lower and he slows down when you bounce off an enemy's head, which makes some of the later levels where you're required to do that for platforming really annoying.

It's genuinely frustrating because it's a problem with an easy solution: just make the guy run a little faster.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ostentatious posted:

yeah but is crash bandicoot now dark souls

Nah, dark souls is actually fair

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqP8hVQJ-k

I'm already more than good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Talk poo poo get hit :cool:

edit: For real though, Crash 1 is pretty miserable compared to the other two and it's a real shame because it's the one I was most looking forward to being improved upon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having just gotten the gold relic on that very level to nab the platinum for Crash 1: That level still sucks so many god drat balls.

Looper posted:

The improvement between Crash 1 and 2 is gonna feel so good though

Very true.

edit:

And now to never play Crash 1 again. It's a good game but jesus is it the worst of the three by a mile.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's an example I just made of how the game's physics are screwed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGB0wfUHv0I

In the original you've got more than enough leeway to clear these boxes but this same jump is so precise in the HD version that your foot has to actually be touching the nitro crates to get over them all. The slower movement speed really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's still June and the thread's still stickied but ok thanks for the heads up

• Locked thread