Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

A mortal based on Nellie Bly, pioneering investigative journalist and explorer. Probably not supposed to be cloned, but Nellie was a hellraiser like that.

Shadow Senate Select Committee on (Redacted) Activities posted:

"I almost dread the answer, Director, but I am nonetheless compelled to ask what you hoped to achieve by introducing a sample of a famous journalist and troublemaker into your highly classified and completely unethical cloning program? Did you not consider that achieving your goal of capturing a genetic 'talent' would in this case risk compromising security?"

"Ah...Senator, I appreciate your concern, but the initial purpose of sample NB was to 'stress test' the security of the project. Like a white hat hacker, showing us weaknesses we may have missed. Had the project come to full fruition the sample could have been retrained as any kind of intelligence agent."

"And now? I note that your report has not recommended termination of this, uh, 'sample' despite it having gone missing when the project was closed."

"All due respect, sir, how much harm could one disaffected teenager do to the Shadow Government? She has none of the eccentricities of the other models."

Ellen Bligh rested her face against the car window and sighed. Another town. Another house. Another school. This time, her mom promised, things would be different. This was a real opportunity for them, a place to belong. She'd believed that before, but once bitten twice shy. Nothing was going to make leaving her old friends behind worth it.

Wait, who was that? Ellen felt her heart beat slightly faster as the car went past a stranger on the street.

Maybe this town would be worth checking out after all.

quote:

Who that you trust has recently let you down?

My Mom promised that we were going to settle down, that she would hold down a job, that we didn't need to keep running across the country. But here we are. Another shithole town in the middle of nowhere. She says this time will be different, but I don't know if I can trust her, or if she even trusts herself. At least this time her job is paying enough for us to live somewhere decent. I don't want to settle in yet in case we have to go again, but it doesn't suck too much.

quote:

Who has recently made a profound impact on you?

There's a teacher at this new school that is young, fresh out of training and full of great new ideas about teaching. Miss Hayer actually seems pretty cool, and she's talked me in to blogging again and taking up photography and maybe starting up a school paper...seems kinda weird the place doesn't have one. It's nice to have someone interested in my life though.

quote:

What's one place in town that you feel drawn to?

There's a boarded up asylum down by the river.. Old school, super creepy. I've done a bit of urbex and taken some photos, but only during the day. Feels totally haunted. It's got a bunch of the old equipment still lying around in it, which makes no sense if it was abandoned. I'd love to really turn the place inside out, but...not on my own.

quote:

What secret did you just find out?

I think I'm adopted. Mom had to take some medical tests before starting her new job, and I looked at the pre-screening stuff when she wasn't home, and she had a hysterectomy listed in her medical history. A month before I was born. Maybe it's a paperwork error? I haven't asked her yet.

quote:

Name: Ellen Bligh
Heritage: Nellie Bly
Look: Displaced
Eyes: Darting
Origin: New kid in town

Stats
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Backstory
Declare your backstory last.
Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on
you. Take one String on them.

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you. Nobody even tries. You do so much
for the people you love, and they walk all over you. Enough is
enough! Betray them. Show them what its like to be uncared
for. Reveal their monstrosity and yours. Only seeing the pain
that you’re causing your Lover will let you escape your Darkest
Self.

Advancement
Add +1 to one of your stats.
Take another Mortal move.
Take another Mortal move.
Take a move from any Skin.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, it awakens something
sinister within. The next time you take your eyes off them, they
become their Darkest Self.

True Love
You always have exactly one Lover. The first is chosen
during Your Backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone
else instead, give them a String and they become your new
Lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your Lover’s
heart or fancy.

Downward Spiral
When you Gaze Into the Abyss, you may cause yourself 1
Harm. If you do, add 2 to your roll.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for
your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String
on you, and you mark experience.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frgrbrgr posted:

What is something you recently blogged about? What did Miss Hayer say about it?

I was mostly doing slice of life stuff, "Hi I'm new in town and this is what I think about the local scenery/food/school/hot people", but then I started interviewing people and doing stories on local history and researching some stuff and I wanted access to some city council records about the old Asylum so I went to City Hall and did you know they just let people in to the council meetings? Maybe they thought I was an intern or something? Anyway, the council and the mayor were having a big argument about some safety ordinances and their interaction with federal funding for some stuff they do for a 'Director' and so I just took a bunch of notes (mostly of all the insults, they were pretty angry) and put a transcript up on my blog with a bunch of color commentary and my opinion of the whole process. Miss Hayer said it showed 'good initiative' but got on my case about being too personal and aggressive. Whatever, it got me hella hits and sent my patreon soaring to the giddy heights of like, 50 bucks a week.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Who is your closest friend? Do you want that friendship to become something more?

Can I say 'the Internet? Because it's sad but true. I get on much better with anonymous assholes than I do with most people, I think because people feel free to talk without censoring themselves when they think they are untraceable. Sure, they lie about things all the time - but the lies they tell are more true to who they are. It's amazing the information people will just give you when they think they're going to sound impressive. Uh...being less sad, I get on OK with Kate Leigh, who got me my weekend job busing tables at Cresswell's Cafe. She's kind of rough, even by my standards, but she sticks up for people and takes no poo poo, which is cool. I've covered for her with the school when she's off doing...stuff. Stuff like selling weed or making out with her girlfriend/rival dealer Tilly. Yeah, I don't want any of that trouble, even if she is pretty cute.

Frgrbrgr posted:

What did you see recently that caused somebody to threaten you not to tell anybody about it?

I was down in the locker rooms of the school stadium just...snooping, I guess, when I heard raised voices coming my way so I, uh, hid. In a locker. A guy's locker. Look, no-one was supposed to be there! It's not that...whatever. Anyway, it was Coach Brown and the school nurse, a creepy woman called Firenze Aedon. They were arguing about using 'the juice' for sports performance (I guess steroids?) and Ms Aedon was saying it was too dangerous, but the coach kept saying they 'needed a win' to get funding. I thought they left, so I started to sneak out but got caught and backed into a corner. I thought Coach was going to kill me, he looked so mad. Ms Aedon talked him down and said that she was sure I wouldn't say anything, but looked at me like if I did she'd find some way to get me.

So of course I'm tracking down everything I can about performance enhancing drugs and stuff so I can make a big expose. No point getting in deep without it paying off, right?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Backstory posted:

Declare your backstory last. Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

'Lover' is kind of a strong term for what's going on with Jackie and me. Yeah, we hang out a lot and talk about how much school sucks, how weird people are, all that stuff. We're both new in town, so it's pretty natural for us to be friends. And yes, I have been asking around about her, and looking out for her in class, and I guess I'm always glad when she comes into Cresswells so I can use my employee discount to make her favorite (X). Uh. OK, maybe a little bit of a crush going on. Also, she's a great help when I'm writing because of her fantastic (if slightly creepy) eye for macabre detail. Could do a lot worse in a town like this.

GodFish posted:

Ellen, why didn't you tell anyone?

Uh, because I'm not a narc, for starters? Also I go snooping in people's stuff like all the time and it would be super hypocritical of me to make a big deal about it. I mean, I don't take anything. I'm just curious.

• Locked thread