Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyBear

Mostly people just posted inanities and silly gifs although one time everyone got to see a photo of a fellow poster full on bent over showing his back bowl. There were also some puns and hitting on girlposters oh and that rock guy on the "Post" button was actually around and making gameboy sprites or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyBear

I have more images into the past to share I am just sorting through, lets talk about the passing of time okay?

DirtyBear

back in my day signatures were not enabled in BYOB but if you wanted to look at signatures you could click over to FYAD and they had lots of anime signatures but don't post there because they are on the rude side

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-BMlq_zyko

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

DirtyBear

I just saw that there is a rules thread, I'm pretty sure there were no rules in 2007 there was just an omniscient and seemingly ever present mod that kept things kind of chill, but nsfw. and rule 2 is don't poo poo up threads? that was.....i guess pretty much the point of BYOB then, there were some mega effort threads but those were mostly treated well. I wonder what is BYOB up to now if it's not up to making GBS threads up threads?

seems like most of the old images i have saved are avatars, i fancied myself an avatar maker then I suppose. Boy the times are a changing. There used to be this guy that posted and he could draw the veiniest dick you can imagine. and he was good at drawing and prolific, so he posted veiny dick video game guys kind of often but I cannot find if I saved any of those.

DirtyBear

admins i think always mostly were frustrated by BYOB but sometimes they got really upset, I'm pretty sure BYOB was altogether gone from somethingawful for a time, but it seems to be back

DirtyBear

DirtyBear posted:

There used to be this guy that posted and he could draw the veiniest dick you can imagine. and he was good at drawing and prolific, so he posted veiny dick video game guys kind of often but I cannot find if I saved any of those.

I figured out it was Handre i was thinking of http://handre.deviantart.com/prints/ https://web.archive.org/web/20071215082750/http://forums.somethingawful.com:80/showthread.php?threadid=2619436 but haven't dug up any of his greatest hits oh well

Manifisto

thanks for posting, it's certainly interesting to hear about our origins

I like to think that at a minimum we're currently a place where yobbers from any era are welcome to come back and hang out, although I guess if they're expecting things to be the same as in their day they may be disappointed

we seem to be pretty into tacos and burriots now, if that helps

ty nesamdoom!

Macnult

DirtyBear posted:

I have more images into the past to share I am just sorting through, lets talk about the passing of time okay?

DirtyBear

shout outs to some of the usernames i can remember

cat scratch achiever, zuu, johnny drama, icon, ramcat, old jeff

these might make good names to reuse if you guys are still into autobanning

the thread i best remember went something like this

poor OP posted:

Someone wrote 'new' on my car

[attached image of car with new written on the windshield]

...less than a minute after the thread is posted...

poor OP posted:

Someone wrote 'new' on my car

[attached image of car with new written on the windshield]

cat scratch achiever posted:

they forgot the 'b'

Death Bot

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
2007 byob was fun, I used to post in it a lot, it was mostly just a gbs where you didn't have to be mad

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

"self help list"

first item on list cant be done alone

Twenty Four

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

"self help list"

first item on list cant be done alone

You mean you don't practice on lunch meat? Oh, maybe you need someone to buy your lunch meat for you, I see how this could be a problem, sorry.

T00kus

yobbing in a strange land..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AaiCOf4Gqw

DirtyBear

Yeah, a lot of 2007 byob was wondering about kento

T00kus

yobbing in a strange land..
also wasnt look at that dog a thing that year

DirtyBear

I think so yeah. And it sometimes felt like half of active posters were actually just two or three people with accounts made for high concept posting.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

DirtyBear posted:

I think so yeah. And it sometimes felt like half of active posters were actually just two or three people with accounts made for high concept posting.

college dog was a great as *eck concept though

DirtyBear

updated shoutouts to mrbradlymrmartin T00kus and Death Bot, names i remember now after forgetting. also i think death bot has the same avatar after all this time?????

by the way am i right in thinking BYOB was removed from SA for some time?

Elusif

:weedass:

DirtyBear

i recognize this av too shoutout! you get a shoutout! i don't remember username from then but maybe some things are better lost to time

byob historian

DirtyBear posted:

updated shoutouts to mrbradlymrmartin T00kus and Death Bot, names i remember now after forgetting. also i think death bot has the same avatar after all this time?????
yeaux what up

quote:

by the way am i right in thinking BYOB was removed from SA for some time?
yeah byob died for LF's sins and rose again

DirtyBear

quick walk down memory lane. Back then it was a lot of just random conversations about life during the day, think a lot of people posting from class or work. I made a comment about how my girlfriend at the time was going to an anime convention in 2 weeks, and another BYOB poster, lets call her FriendlyGirl, said "hey im going to an anime convention that weekend too, is she going to --CONVENTION NAME--?" I responded yes, but this was a bit strange because it is a smaller sized convention, aimed mostly at immediate surround area. so we started talking about it and realized we lived in the same city. also, it was a simpler time then so for some reason I had poster a photo my girlfriend, and FriendlyGirl posted a photo of herself.

Cue two weeks later at the anime convention, my girlfriend is there with some friends, and FriendlyGirl goes up to my girlfriend and says "Hey! I know your boyfriend from the internet!" at this time i had not told my girlfriend that BYOB was a thing, let alone FriendlyGirl was a person, so to my girlfriend's perspective some stranger recognized her based on her boyfriends internet infamy, which led to some awkward conversations. but whatever.

roughly a week after that, my girlfriend and I go to Starbucks, and FriendlyGirl is the barista and oh boy its awkward now. thats the first....only? time ive said "byob" out loud and it felt so stupid and FriendlyGirl laughed at the ridiculousness of it. whatever got through it, its some weird stuff but its cool. we chat a little bit, friendly banter more or less actually meeting for the first time.

A month later, my girlfriend and I go to get the mail from our mailbox and we see that the mailbox next to ours has a new name card on it. the apartment that shared a wall with the apartment my girlfriend and I shared was now occupied by FriendlyGirl.

This poo poo blew my loving mind. she was nice and shared some interests with us but....what the hell. coincidences are weird yall

This is just a lesson that at any point a yobber could move in next door so keep your ears clean

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I uh, I'd like to see some nice veiny dicks if you still have them. my friends and I are playing risk legacy and you could draw on the board. so far we have some pretty veiny dicks but nothing too wild yet.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

cda

by Hand Knit

DirtyBear posted:

shout outs to some of the usernames i can remember

cat scratch achiever, zuu, johnny drama, icon, ramcat, old jeff

these might make good names to reuse if you guys are still into autobanning

the thread i best remember went something like this

...less than a minute after the thread is posted...

[/quote]

zuu still posts, but in cspam or d&d i think.

i think old jeff would fit in good here in 8.2.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cda

by Hand Knit

DirtyBear posted:

Yeah, a lot of 2007 byob was wondering about kento

i know everything about kento

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

DirtyBear posted:

i recognize this av too shoutout! you get a shoutout! i don't remember username from then but maybe some things are better lost to time

that was chewbecca's avatar iirc but i dont know if that poster is chewbecca

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

DirtyBear posted:

I just saw that there is a rules thread, I'm pretty sure there were no rules in 2007 there was just an omniscient and seemingly ever present mod that kept things kind of chill, but nsfw. and rule 2 is don't poo poo up threads? that was.....i guess pretty much the point of BYOB then, there were some mega effort threads but those were mostly treated well. I wonder what is BYOB up to now if it's not up to making GBS threads up threads?

we support each other and try to post good in each others threads, mostly.

----------------

DirtyBear

cda posted:

zuu still posts, but in cspam or d&d i think.

i think old jeff would fit in good here in 8.2.

sounds right

cda posted:

i know everything about kento

why walruses?

cda posted:

you are correct, shout outs to you apparently, old poster

cda posted:

we support each other and try to post good in each others threads, mostly.

i mean thats pretty chillaxed and maybe thats all you can ask for

DirtyBear

Chill la Chill posted:

I uh, I'd like to see some nice veiny dicks if you still have them. my friends and I are playing risk legacy and you could draw on the board. so far we have some pretty veiny dicks but nothing too wild yet.

I have a veiny dick shaped hole in my heart. at the time they flowed freely like an undending barage of phalli , and I in my hubris assured myself that i would bask in their warmth for eternity.

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

cda posted:

it'sn't

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

DirtyBear posted:

I have a veiny dick shaped hole in my heart. at the time they flowed freely like an undending barage of phalli , and I in my hubris assured myself that i would bask in their warmth for eternity.

Hubris makes fools of us all :negative:

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Weed Oaf

God Damn You Wonderlust
I want to say her name is purpledragon, but it wasn't. it was VioletDragon.

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
:vd:

DirtyBear

i forgot about then remembered some names upon further reflection so shoutouts to violetdragon, NMR, cookypuss, uhh birdgirl, lektrane?, then there maybe one from lubbock texas and another from...canada. also (presumed) shoutouts to Sham bam bamina! and Weed oaf

DirtyBear

posting styles I'm missing right now:

mean posters, barely lucid but somehow poignant posting (shoutouts to karl marx and matt damon), horrible person posting (shoutout to push my chair back to cum on the floor for easy clean up guy, also the actual racist guy who was also into motorcycles), teenposting (shoutout happy happy black man eating icecream guy), more to come im sure

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat

DirtyBear posted:

also (presumed) shoutouts to Sham bam bamina! and Weed oaf
lol im honored but i just started posting here, i registered in 2012 :kiddo:

lurked for a fair few years before that though

DirtyBear

Assumed because you were quick with the smiley, I guess the storied history of violet dragon truly echo through time

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
i'm mainly here because byob now reminds me of the best parts of gbs when i was lurking. the camaraderie, goofing off, people posting fun creative poo poo because they can, etc. it's a small forum but it's real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!

ƨtupid cat
there's probably some of that still left in gbs but it's just buried under insufferable cynicism and shitposting at this point

• Locked thread