Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU5yIVPCbA

What the hell is this?

Wynonna Earp is an action comedy urban fantasy series loosely based on a comic series I haven’t read and produced by Emily Andras of Lost Girl fame. To keep it short, the show is basically Supernatural only it's two sisters fighting monsters and they mostly stay in a set location instead of road-tripping across middle America, but beyond that if you like Supernatural, or at least enjoyed it before it went on six seasons longer than it really should have (Like me) you'll enjoy this show. It's got a similar sense of humor, a deep love of classic hard rock and decent action scenes for basic cable while straddling the very difficult line between stupid fun and just plain stupid by never insulting the viewer’s intelligence.

The premise:

Welcome to Purgatory, a middle of nowhere farm town with only one noteworthy feature: All the outlaws that were killed by the legendary gunslinger Wyatt Earp are cursed to haunt the place as undead Revenants. They are effectively immortal, can shrug off any injury and can otherwise do whatever the hell they want, provided they never try to leave town because the curse keeps them there. They can however, be sent back to hell at any time with a well-placed gunshot from a magically imbued Colt Buntline (Dubbed “Peacemaker”) wielded by any direct descendant of Wyatt Earp that is currently over the age of 27

The main cast:

Wynonna Earp (Melanie Scrofano) is the main character and The Chosen One. Becoming the latest wielder of Peacemaker is something she knew was going to happen, but that didn’t stop her from trying everything to get out of it. After accidentally orphaning herself and her sister when she was a kid, she spent most of her life bouncing around psychiatric institutions, prisons both juvenile and adult, and a couple biker gangs. In short, the heroine of this story is a barely functioning alcoholic who hates everyone and everyone hates her
Current status: In serious need of whiskey after murdering her long lost older sister who turned out evil

Waverly Earp (Dominique Provost-Chalkley) is Wynonna’s younger sister, who is only sometimes a little miffed that she’s not the heroine of this story. She dedicated her life to solving the family curse, finding new and exciting ways to send Revenants back to hell, and other exposition-giving knowledge about magic and the occult
Current status: Possibly possessed by an arch-demon after touching some mysterious black goo.

Officer Nicole Haught (Kat Barrell) is new in town, but through a combination of curiosity, intelligence and stubbornness it didn’t take long for her to figure out what was going on or to work her way into Waverly’s good graces, after all, when she sees something she likes, she doesn’t like to wait :quagmire:
Current status: Recovering from what I’m assuming is a bruised ribcage. Getting shot hurts whether you’re wearing a bulletproof vest or not

Xavier Dolls (Shamier Anderson) is an agent of Black Badge: a secret government agency that polices and if necessary terminates supernatural threats. Straight-laced and dedicated to the job he usually acts as the voice of reason, usually anyway. Also he’s some kind of monster/demon/thing and needs regular injections of a mysterious drug to maintain his humanity.
Current status: In a CIA blacksite for disobeying a direct order

Doc (Tim Rozon) is the real Doc Holiday, after catching tuberculosis in the 1880’s he entered into a Faustian bargain to live forever, but the witch that gave him his immortality then turned around and hurled him down a well for his trouble, and he only managed to crawl his way out a year ago. He cannot be trusted around motor vehicles, cell phones or televisions, he has ruined all he comes across
Current status: Just fine all things considered

There are other characters but Here’s the wiki if you’re need to know

And now what I’m sure most of you are here for:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished the first season on netflix. This show is better than one would guess. Not taking itself too seriously helps.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rando posted:

I just finished the first season on netflix. This show is better than one would guess. Not taking itself too seriously helps.

Yep, this show knows exactly how stupid it looks and sounds and uses that to its advantage

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DarklyDreaming posted:

To keep it short, the show is basically Supernatural only it's two sisters fighting monsters and they mostly stay in a set location instead of road-tripping across middle America, but beyond that if you like Supernatural, or at least enjoyed it before it went on six seasons longer than it really should have (Like me) you'll enjoy this show. It's got a similar sense of humor, a deep love of classic hard rock and decent action scenes for basic cable while straddling the very difficult line between stupid fun and just plain stupid by never insulting the viewer’s intelligence.

One other major difference; much less variety of bad guys. I would like this show a lot more if it had all the different ghosts and werewolves and whatevers that Supernatural has, even if that would be a bit implausible all happening in one small town.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tiggum posted:

One other major difference; much less variety of bad guys. I would like this show a lot more if it had all the different ghosts and werewolves and whatevers that Supernatural has, even if that would be a bit implausible all happening in one small town.

Well that problem got solved this episode :v:

Also I wonder how many times they're going to make it look like Possessed Waverly killed someone before the joke gets old

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the expansion into Lovecraftian monsters it seems to be taking this season. Not to mention that thing in the crate. And was that a Xenomorph egg? Teases.

As said, this show pulls off that tough job of not taking your cheap and sometimes ugly looking show too seriously but treating it seriously enough to make stuff like the weight of killing Willa matter. It can be a troublesome line to walk but so far it does a solid job of pulling it off.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarklyDreaming posted:

And now what I’m sure most of you are here for:

Ahhh that eases the pain.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh by the way I just found out about this thing:

http://purgatorysd.com/

Which is some kind of tie-in ARG involving a suspicious break in and Nicole's attempts to figure out what happened. Looks like it updates every other day so I'll keep an eye on it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Did I miss something in the first episode? Was Haught upset because she didn't get to sign a contract in blood with the evil organisation like everyone else did?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She is upset that her hot as gently caress cheerleader girlfriend is a bit broken.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, she was saying Waverly "tasted" different and keeps saying "different" over and over. She's bummed she's been benched from the A Team but she's also clearly going to either be the first one to figure out Waverly is possessed by an Old One or fall victim to it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, she was saying Waverly "tasted" different and keeps saying "different" over and over. She's bummed she's been benched from the A Team but she's also clearly going to either be the first one to figure out Waverly is possessed by an Old One or fall victim to it.

Hopefully the first. I remember the shows producers and writers last year saying that they're completely aware of TV's habit of killing off lesbians for cheap shock value and fully intended to avoid it.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
my favorite part so far, at the end of episode 5, with Dolls developing the negatives and he goes "i've seen this somewhere before......." and it didn't ring a bell before with the paranormal detective, all the creepy guys standing around the hanging human corpse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A few gifs from the most recent episode:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Suxpool posted:

my favorite part so far, at the end of episode 5, with Dolls developing the negatives and he goes "i've seen this somewhere before......." and it didn't ring a bell before with the paranormal detective, all the creepy guys standing around the hanging human corpse

What?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So is Waverly going to eat Dolls? Is that what's going on?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not entirely clear on the nature of her Old One eating both demonic spiders and lipstick.

But I'm glad it seems to be moving along quickly with her and Dolls and they don't seem like they're going to drag it out all season. Then again its a cable show so I guess we're already a quarter through the season.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Any chance we can get a gif of Wynonna striding out of the school with the trophy over her shoulder? That was pretty great.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Polaron posted:

Any chance we can get a gif of Wynonna striding out of the school with the trophy over her shoulder? That was pretty great.
Here you go:

And before Rocksicles asks for it:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Solve a minor mystery for me: last year's cliffhanger, with Waverly getting possessed and then shooting Wynonna. They're ignoring the shooting part this season, yeah? Seems like that was just plain dropped.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Solve a minor mystery for me: last year's cliffhanger, with Waverly getting possessed and then shooting Wynonna. They're ignoring the shooting part this season, yeah? Seems like that was just plain dropped.

This season started with them running from some monster, and Waverly said something about "You're lucky I saw it behind you and shot at it." So basically another fakeout like with the axe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarklyDreaming posted:

Here you go:

And before Rocksicles asks for it:

Hey, that's everyones thing

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rocksicles posted:

Hey, that's everyones thing

Yeah it really is :swoon:

It's possible that Wynonna lost track of time because she was possessed but it's also possible she just didn't care:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 8, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love the Chris Evans trickledown banging winner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm enjoying this season more than S1 but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Wynonna getting a pregnancy AND a 3rd love interest. I'd assume they were just going to put the Doc and Dolls stuff on hold, but... I assume there's a Holliday-Earp kid coming.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I gave this show a shot because I heard it was actually pretty good. At first I was rolling my eyes at it but by the end of the first episode, I dunno. I still was rolling my eyes at it but I like it. I will continue watching it. It feels like it's feeling the supernatural void pretty well, gave up on supernatural after 5 or 6 seasons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Standard Syfy procedure, first season wonky legs. If you came expecting the Magicians, you're barking up the wrong tree.
You know a show has a rabid fanbase when you're browsing redbubble for Syfy logo laptop stickers and there are piles of Earp stickers.

You bailed on Supernatural at a good point, the magic didn't come back from season 5, until last season.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 9, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah I decided to check this show out and two episodes in it could definitely do with some improvements, but it's fun enough for me so far. Helps that I was expecting at least one of the male main characters to be terrible in a 'designated love interest' kind of way, but they've both been pretty fair so far, even if officer deputy whatever title man can be a bit bland, so hopefully that sticks.

My two specific complaints are A: that first loving fight in episode one has to be the shittiest effects I've ever seen, I mean the other special effects in the show are very budget too especially the melty fires when the monsters get killed but that was both our introduction to supernatural fighting which you'd think they'd splurge a little extra on, and far worse than all the rest so far combined as well. And B: the audio mixing is dire, as in 'can't hear what the gently caress people are saying over the music/sound effects' dire. I noticed it several times but it first got bad enough I really felt a need to complain about it in episode 2 when they're going in to wake up ol' Killer Miller, drat is it bad in that scene.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What did the note at the end of the latest episode say? I read "I am all" but couldn't make out the last word.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

What did the note at the end of the latest episode say? I read "I am all" but couldn't make out the last word.

"In.." it's cursive. Handwriting, was a thing until 2007. Remember notes... they got poo poo done.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Caught up now, it's pretty fun. I'm undecided on how I'm feeling about season 2 (and end of 1 I guess) developments though. On one hand, I quite like the cast additions overall. Scientist guy may be written very stereotypical 'goofy comic-relief' but I feel like the actor has decent charisma and executes it well. And fireman dude seems like he could be cool too if he keeps showing up. I also like that the show isn't limited to just revenants now in theory, since it allows for more weirdness and variety in theory. I like how it feels a lot tougher to predict the major plot points now, season 1 did a decent job of throwing curves but overall it was pretty rigid. 'Earps vs Bobo, enemies are revenants, nothing relevant happens outside the triangle or enters it', all that stuff.

Even if I'm not sure the whole pregnancy thing will be great for the show, I did like how they skipped past the inevitable lengthy period of Wynonna not/barely showing in a way that actually addressed it rather than have her suddenly have a stomach but give in indication that any real time passed, which is surprisingly common. Or worse, stretching it out with tons of denial/refusing to tell people angst. Plus, it means an actual action/adventure series with a pregnant protagonist which is pretty cool if nothing else.

On the other, I'm not a huge fan of antagonistic government conspiracy set-ups, and I felt like Dolls in season 1 was about the right amount which leaves me a bit cold on that aspect of season 2.

Second gotta say, not a fan of Tucker as antagonist so far. All the attempts at making him menacing fall flat to me, and him starting off as the lamest of all the show's regular one-dimensional assholes (and drat does the show love those by the way) doesn't help it.

Also, I kinda worry the show is throwing away its strengths to make up for its weaknesses. To be honest I wasn't very impressed by the revenants at all, though Bobo made a decent big bad himself, so I should be happy with th cast of potential antagonists expanding. But by doing so it feels like the show is losing most of its connection to the Earp family, which also means losing a lot of Waverly's usefulness since her thing was being an expert on Earp history. In addition to making her place in the show less clear, it also means they weren't capitalizing on the contrast between her knowledge of and interest in Earp history with her doubts of being an Earp at all, which was a bit of a missed opportunity I felt. And it also loses any personal connection and stakes between the heroes and the monsters too. Finally, it kinda feels like any of the Wild West connection that the first season had is basically gone at this point. Not a huge deal to me since I was never big on that setting myself, but it was undeniably one of its draws.

Final complaint, show abandoned the entertainment value of Doc being baffled at modern things far too quickly. Surely they realize this is where they struck gold already? I mean besides gifs of Waverly and Nicole I suppose, as this thread proves.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Second gotta say, not a fan of Tucker as antagonist so far. All the attempts at making him menacing fall flat to me, and him starting off as the lamest of all the show's regular one-dimensional assholes (and drat does the show love those by the way) doesn't help it.

I don't think he's a very good actor, unfortunately.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also, I kinda worry the show is throwing away its strengths to make up for its weaknesses. To be honest I wasn't very impressed by the revenants at all, though Bobo made a decent big bad himself, so I should be happy with th cast of potential antagonists expanding. But by doing so it feels like the show is losing most of its connection to the Earp family, which also means losing a lot of Waverly's usefulness since her thing was being an expert on Earp history.

Earp apparently had four(!) wives. I assume the two brides are at least related to the Earp family tree, if not actively two of those four women. It'd certainly could explain some of their anger at the Earp lineage.

In terms of villains, I'm mostly just disappointed that they've killed off their best villain off screen. Cloutie ruled, and the actress owned.

(Also how does Doc still have a head after that?)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A good episode, especially when Dolls got to geek out about Bass Reeves :3:

And I had to share this gif:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Drunk Nicole was excellent

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ShakeZula posted:

Drunk Nicole was excellent

I keep one in my sock. How smart am I? I'm uh... Smart :shepface:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Am I misremembering, or has Waverly used the magic gun? If so, how could she not be an Earp? Doesn't it only work for Earps?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Am I misremembering, or has Waverly used the magic gun? If so, how could she not be an Earp? Doesn't it only work for Earps?

She can be an Earp and not be her sister...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

drat, that was a good episode. Poor Bobo :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like i missed when Wynonna and Dolls actually got together. But I accidentally watched Ep 8 before watching Ep 7 so my entire timeline for this show is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like i missed when Wynonna and Dolls actually got together. But I accidentally watched Ep 8 before watching Ep 7 so my entire timeline for this show is hosed up.

Same here, I did a double take when it showed them in bed.

• Locked thread