Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
The Story So Far

It’s yet another day in the world of Eden’s Seed, where the sky is blue, the Wetern Reaches are just beyond the overhead sun, and the city of Landale bustles with purpose as the peoples of the nations of The Kingdom of Camineet, the Dwarven hub of Bortevo, the Elven reaches of Eppi, and the merchant enclave of Parolit set about trying to keep the peace between their respective lands. Reconstruction from the most recent war for Eden continue in earnest, though ever-present hordes of nature and the unnatural alike hamper the efforts. Still, any time of turmoil is also a time of great opportunity, and anything lost is just waiting to be uncovered once again.

A group of adventurers from all across Eden's Seed have gathered in the Hospitaller's Point tavern in Landale, brought together through mutual contacts, informants, and wanderlust. 6 years out from the end of the century, what will change and shape this inverted world? We're just getting started - pull up a seat and follow along!

The party has caught word of missing miners in the Dwarven Hub of Bortevo. Exploring the Hollow Mount, the group has negotiated terms with the Bortevo Mining Coalition for the rescue of 15 souls trapped in the deepest parts of the mine. Dwarven children's tales warn, however, of what happens when one looks too deep. Will the party be able to discover the core of that tale, or will the depths do as they always do; consume all who enter, and mystify those who wonder?

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Hospitaller Point

The City-State of Landale is a perpetually-bustling center of commerce, government, and intrigue. With ever-changing politics, loyalties, and landscape, it attracts the lost and wandering with hopes of a new start and purpose. Those in the know, however, go to Hospitaller Point.

As usual, the tavern of Hospitaller Point is bustling with nobility, dignitaries, commoners, laborers, and just enough folks from all over to keep a rather eclectic group of 11 from seeming entirely out of place. The smell of wood, fire, mead, and life circulates fresh with every entry and exit, and the din of conversation is just loud enough to ensure privacy. Would-be mercenaries and adventurers check the Hunter's Board for posted requests while backroom deals are made in plain sight. Through connections, contacts, and happenstance, word has reached these wanderers, roamers, and lost of a noble, deposed of his lands, usurped of his title, and in search of a band of walking vengeance. Still other rumors churn of missing mining crews in the Dwarven mines of Bortevo, of border skirmishes between the two Elven nations of Eppi, and of a well-to-do merchant in Parolit seeking a...missing dog? Surely there are more happenings that can be found - one only needs to search!

The world is now yours to do with as you will! What will happen in Eden's Seed? It's up to you!

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 10, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Hunter's Board - A Missing Dog!

An astute eye would tell that this request is scrawled on some of the finest parchment. A sensitive nose would smell the acrid scent of magical reagents. A linguist... would have trouble deciphering what is written in colored wax.

"HELO HUNTARS I AM MISSENG A DOG HE IS A FUNNY DOG AND A GOOD DOG
HIS NAME IS WOFLINGTON VI IIV THE FORF AND HE WENT TO MARKAT
AND DID NOT COME HOME PLEZ HELP

ARN GRIZSTOFFL
AGE 306

PS HEER IS A DRAUIN OF WOOOFLINTN"

Were it not for the parchment and magical glint, this would seem like a complete and total joke.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 10, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Hunter's Board - A Missing Dog!

With an effervescent blue glimmer, the good Doctor's testing solution wafts a light, acrid scent, enough for the trained nose of the alchemist to detect mandragora root. It's hard to tell from scent alone, but the depth of the blue coloration indicates that it's of a rather exceptional quality, even from the trace amounts present.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Hunter's Board - Missing Miners

If the other notice was scrawled from a child's hand, this one has been drafted with the precision of an architect. Immaculate block lettering on a sheared length of drafting paper details the request.

"To whom it may concern,
The Bortevo Mining Coalition is enlisting external assistance in the search for 3 teams of missing miners.
These teams have been missing for over 1 week, and search parties have found no trace.
There are a total of 15 missing dwarves, and the Coalition is offering the following rewards:
150gp/head for each living miner
100gp/head for each body retrieved
75% salvage rights on any goods and materials discovered.
Seek Zevlin of the Hollow Mount for further information."

Right to the point, but it does beg a few questions.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square

With Nero's suggestion and Joyce's insistence as close to a sound decision as had been made yet, the party gathers before venturing forth. As the group leaves Hospitaller Point, a short jaunt through some side streets leads to the always-crowded Market Square of Landale. Vendors from the nations of Eden's Seed have come from far and wide not only to ply their wares, but to make lasting trade deals between companies, suppliers, refiners, and governments. As many in Parolit might mention, one good deal can yield a lifetime of returns. Scents of foods both known and undiscovered waft over woodsmoke, animals, people, and myriad others. Voices of all pitches, speaking in all dialects provide a background din of conversation, pierced by the clanging of hammers, and the occasional bleat. With a market of this size, it won't take long to find something you might be looking for - Finding it in decent shape, however, is another matter.

Unless you guys have something more specialized, let's get some Gather Information checks. I'll also accept some Spot/Perception checks for some specialty/hidden things. You can also use your craft/profession/knowledge skills to shop around, if you'd like.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
EY4794 - The City-State of Landale - Market Square - Safe Seth's Saddlery

As the remainder of the party totters their way through the confusing cacophony of the Market Square, Orvald has a stroke of incredible luck. Be it his roguish charm or exceptional hearing, he not only winds up receiving a suggestion for the place the locals use - the oddly-named Safe Seth's Saddlery - but also happens to hear another would-be adventurer on their exploits, attempting to gain some information on the missing dog.

"Arn Grizstoffl? Yeah, he got thrown out of Landale ages ago - heard he shacked up in Parolit. Damnedest thing I ever saw. An amazing wizard, but the only one I've seen who's ever gotten 2 spells mixed up and managed to get it cast. Let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. Why, it reminds me of the time I-"

As the poor sap settles in for what surely would be a long story, the party slowly coalesces on Orvald's location, down on their luck. Joyce is last to arrive, a little flustered as she manages to just lose an angered shopkeep. Thunderstruck looks just a little guilty.

A quick perusal of the signage and tack in the area indicates that this particular shopkeep can handle most of the party's travel needs, and at a decent price, too.

"Afternoon! Gearing up for the long haul, are 'ya? Well, I won't be beat by anyone here! Custom fixin's for custom hitchin's!" Clearing his throat, he introduces himself. "I'm Seth, the proprietor of this fine establishment! How can I help?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

"Well, I've got big wagons, little wagons, carts, crates, oxen, horses, saddles, bindles, tack, tongue, and pretty much any other necessity for hauling cargo across these long, lonely roads!" Crossing his arms for a moment, he sizes up the group. "You look like you're goin' places - I mean, you wouldn't be here if you weren't going places, but I mean in the bigger sense! Tell you what, I'll cut you a deal so long as you keep me in mind when you hit a bit 'o greatness, eh?"

Flipping through a notebook, he scritches through a few spots, scratches a few others, and drafts up a proposal.
"Gonna be kinda tough to fit all of you in a single wagon. If'n you don't mind taking turns riding, I've got a few options."

Pointing his pencil at the mounted lady and wiggling it toward the halfling, he begins. "Looks like the two of you could fit on one horse if you're strapped for saddles." Squinting toward Nero, he tilts his head. "Can't quite get a good look at you - might just be hayfever - but you don't appear to weigh all that much..." Glancing at the elvey-types, he continues. "Neither do either one of you. It might be a tight fit, but I can get you a heavy wagon that could haul about 2 tons, or about 8 of you if you squeezed in nice and tight, and a team of haulers for about 300, free and clear. That's at my cost, friends! Won't be the fastest, but they'll be the most determined 'lil bastards you'll find around here. If'n you wanted something a little faster, I could get some sturdy heavy-hosses for 500. With the barding and everything, I'm taking a loss!"

Glancing from side to side, he leans in. "Though if you want something really special, I've got some travelling horses going for 175 a head. You won't find these just anywhere, you know - my folks have been special-breeding this gait for generations. Comfortable, sustainable ride, less exhaustion for everyone involved, and so easy to ride, even your dwarven fellow there can handle it! They're faster than an ox team, slower than a full gallop, but they can go for hours without rest - I'd say here to the eastern edge of Camineet in 4 days or so!"

Lots of options, but is there enough money to go around?

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 13, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Seth tilts his head in as much of an approximation of a no as someone who hates saying no can say no. "The travelling horses are really meant more for an individual rider, not for haulin' a load. Different muscle groups and all that. For individual travelers, they're great! Wagon would be 100, 4 oxen would be 200. Travellin' horses would be 175 a head. If you've gotta go fast, I'd suggest the package deal with the heavier horses - 500 on that one."

He seems to genuinely want to help, and if Joyce's knowledge of animal handling is any indication, he's legitimately taking a loss in his attempts to do so.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

With a low whistle, Seth looks over the proffered cash and trade. "You sure you're willing to part with this? It'll certainly save me a trip to the jeweler's later, and at a drat sight better cost..." Adding everything up, he smiles. "Tell you what, I'll throw in a week's feed for the pack, on the house." Waving the party to his sales patch, he brags a bit as he sets about arranging everything. "Four of my finest!" Coming up to a group of heavy horses, he gives each of them a pat on the flank as he proceeds. "Hans, Chip, High-Step, and Gregory'll serve you fine folk quite well!"

It takes close to an hour or so to get everything arranged, but true to his word, he's assembled a horse-drawn cart fit for tons with all of the barding, tack, and feed needed for a week's journey. Scrawling out a receipt for the transaction, he hands it over to Nero, the one who ponied up the most cash. "If anything breaks due to craftsmanship problems, just let me know - I take care of my customers! Safe travels out there!"

There is now a partywagon. Don't die of dysentery out there!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
EY4794 - On the Open Road - Landale to Bortevo

With a group of this size, it takes some time to get everyone situated, stowed, and ready for the 2-day haul to Bortevo. Fortunately, the trip doesn't seem to be outright perilous - the road to Bortevo is a paved thoroughfare, as many goods and materials are moved back and forth between the two locales. As Joyce takes point, the team sets in motion as thoughts begin to stir. What will they find when they reach the Hollow Mount? Is everyone ok? Trapped? Dead? Worse? For such a large portion of salvage rights, there had to be some danger involved. The Bortevan dwarves weren't pushovers, by any means. Most of the trouble that would come from there are often dealt with by the citizenry themselves - mining is a dangerous occupation already, and with stories of monsters and other creatures in the mines, the people were no strangers to combat. Still, until boots were on the ground, everything would be mere speculation. Minds do tend to wander on the road, and with 2 days of travel, there would certainly be wandering. The air is clear, the sky is blue, and the destination is just a few degrees above the horizon.

??? = 18

The first day's travel goes by without a negative effect. Feel free to toss some road chatter and checks for random activities - there are interesting things to be discovered with the right checks!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
On the lonesome, dusty trail

Nat 20 on the perception roll? You know what that means~

As Iggy makes her way back to the wagon, handfuls of mushrooms, roots, and berries in tow, she spots a dull glint out of the corner of her eye.

A small brass box is lying on the ground, hidden from the road by tall grass. If she's able to detect magic, she'd notice a slight magical aura to it. If not, then it's a nice-looking metal box that could fetch a curious price. The box is closed.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
On the lonesome, dusty trail

As you take a closer look, the box feels warm in your hands. There's a feeling of comfort from holding it. It's not particularly immaculate, nor is it untarnished, but it has that "just right" feeling. As you open the latch on the box, it suddenly feels just a little heavier.

Opening the box reveals a single, perfect waffle, complete with that comfortable scent that just screams breakfast. A fine addition to the gathering, indeed!

Returning to the cart, the group carries on for the remainder of the day without event.

But what does tomorrow bring? ???=3

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Along a not-so-dusty, but still lonesome trail - Day 2

While ruminating on the memories of her father's beignets and crepes, the thought of the scent is pierced by something a little different. Nature has a lot of strange smells, but certain nitrogenous scents can bring back the memory of other things, and the sight of the source of that scent can provide a clue as to what had left it behind. It could just be a weird fluke of the memory, as synapses fire in all sorts of weird ways, giving memories of scents gone by, but something seems... off.

Gotta use it for something! Anias, give me a knowledge(dung) roll.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Perhaps dngn is a better abbreviation?
Along a not-so-dusty, but still lonesome trail - Day 2

Fortunately, the wind passes quickly. Whatever it was, it was fresh. Observation spots a few fresh tracks making their way betwixt the treeline and the road. The footprints are rather large, but a closer look would be required to attempt to track or identify them. As the party travels onward, the amount of foot traffic seems to be tapering off.

Edit point - moving onward!

As the trip languishes on, the various birds of the party have since taken flight, scoping the area out, grabbing a bug or two, and other various things that only the avian mind can comprehend.

Squawk=16

As the landscape begins to change, the ground growing rockier and the rolling fields of the central plains giving way, something seems to have grabbed the attention of many of the party's birds. Nero is the first to notice the birds changing their arcs of flight, some returning to the cart, and others deciding to investigate what looks to be some freshly-tilled soil. Harold in particular returns to the cart, perching on Drumlin's shoulder and twitter-tweeting away.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 17, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
On the lonesome, du-what the hell?!

As the party leans to the side of the wagon, all eyes peeled on the swath of tilled ground, the wagon creeeeaks, tilting ever so slightly. The line of ground that Relia had alighted on twitches slightly, the movement enough to spook the raven back into the air. Not long after, a snout can be seen peeking above the ground, intently sniffing. With a rumble, the ground shifts and splits, a pair of rocky dorsal fins tearing through the ground on their way toward the cart!

Combat time! It looks like 2 landsharks are burrowing themselves in your direction - you've got about a turn before they arrive, though they're mainly underground. As mentioned before, initiative is on a first-come first-serve basis, with initiative rolls applicable for battlefield insight. Knowledge rolls can be taken as a free action, and for these guys, I'd suggest it! To arms!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Hyrgan's Results

From what you can tell, damaging them while they're still underground will be tough, but that dorsal fin might be the weak point. You also remember reading a story way back when that mentioned that Bulettes detest the taste of elves... but love the taste of halflings. They're magical creatures that, despite their burrowing nature, have a propensity to leap on and crush their victims.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 19, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Nero's Results

From this angle, you just might be able to hit one of the Bulettes mid-leap if they go for it. From this vantage point, you can tell that they will likely split - one going for the horses, and one going for that delicious halfling. They'll be able to see you, but they likely won't care. At least, not until everything else was devoured.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Drumlin's Results

Between backtalking a bird and getting your footing... bearing?... steadying yourself, you can't quite glean any new information as the landsharks continue to rend their way toward the cart.

Lau's Results

Seeing the fins diverging, you've got to make a choice - guard the front of the cart, or the back?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Iggy's Results

The mad elf screams for blood and prepares for the worst as...

Joyce's Results

Thunderstruck rears - the charge begins! With perfect form and Iggy's inspiration, Joyce's lance lowers as they race alongside and toward one of the charging beasts. As the lance impacts the ground with near-splintering force, a thick gout of red blood sprays from the beast, its head emerging from the ground twisted in rage and pain, a gash in its side. Thunderstruck keeps apace, its hooves not accomplishing much, but staying on balance and at speed.

Bulette's Reaction

The stricken beast wheels to its side, staying above ground so as not to worsen its wound. Claws tearing into the dirt, it's meal becomes secondary as it begins to give chase! The second bulette, still burrowed, diverts course to keep pace - could the two be working as a team? Pair-bonded bulettes are not unheard of. Still, 2 of these creatures chasing after one horse and rider can be a terrifying sight, indeed! They race to keep pace, but Thunderstruck is just fast enough to stay out of their range... for now!

Iggy's scream did just enough to cause a hit from Joyce! One of them are pretty wounded, but they're both rather pissed! Still, that distraction provides a perfect flanking/back attack opportunity if everyone can reach. Anyone who didn't act to this point is considered to have held action/aimed/prepared, so if you have some big stuff that takes a moment to prep, consider it ready! Round 2!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Orvald's Results

With a blink and a blip, the tiny blade manages to find a gap in the armored plating of the injured bulette, striking true and earning its crimson reward. Managing to stay clear of the disturbance of the second bulette, he prepares for more as -

Nero's Results

- two daggers of pure darkness sling through the air, striking the long gash on the injured bulette. While the first harms enough to get its attention, the second punches a hole through the midsection, leaving Orvald to be sprayed in viscera as the exit wound leaves a visible gap in the creature before it crashes to the ground, grinding a furrow in the dirt until its momentum stops. Surely the Bortevans have a dry cleaner or its equivalent.

Between the lance and that crit, the first bulette is annihilated! The second one isn't at the point of action yet, but its' bonded pair has just been slaughtered like so much cattle. This is not a foe that will be deterred.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Iggy's Results

Sadly, Iggy's attack serves only to strop the blade as the beast emerges from the ground, assessing the situation. Filled with rage at the loss of it's mate, it looks beyond the to-now harmless elf and bellows out a roar before it begins its charge back to the wagon.

Lau's Results

The dhampir just barely manages to scratch the surface, cutting into the beast's flesh as it orients itself.

Viktor's Results

Exercising the better part of valor, Viktor's speech, while not entirely relevant, does stir some of that fervor of Duty. Enough so for Thal to -

Thal's Results

- fire off a psychic blast that turns a chunk of its' armored hide into a frostbitten lump that falls to the ground, hot blood steaming through the frozen capillaries. Still, the beast is undeterred.

Bulette's Reaction

With a running start, the beast leaps into the air, bellowing a roar of vengeance as it slams itself down inside of the cart! 11+17 vs DC20 Fortunately, the construction of the conveyance is immaculate, and while it rocks heavily, it does not crack under the weight of the beast. This does not stop the horses attached to the cart that now contains the massive creature from spooking and beginning to run!

In the meantime, the beast lashes out with all four of its claws!

Claw Slash 1 vs. Hyrgan! 16 vs. 18
Claw Slash 2 vs. Thal! 18 vs. 17 - 10 Damage!
Claw Slash 3 vs. Viktor! 29 vs. 17 - 15 Damage!
Claw Slash 4 vs. Caitlin! 16 vs. 18

As Hyrgan and Caitlin scramble out of the way of the beast, Thal catches a vicious swipe across his midsection - it would be quite the bleeder if he had blood to bleed, and if any were curious, now would be the time to find out. Viktor takes the worst of the damage, however, a mistimed glance leading to a puncturing of claws through his body. The shock is enough to render him unconscious, but he's bleeding out at a good rate!

Viktor is down! Here's how I'm handling death and dying - If a character takes more than double their total HP in a single attack, there's really next to no chance of survival. This would be along the lines of being dismembered in an explosion, ground to dust, etc. Anything that would bring them from 0 to -max HP brings them to 0, and they begin to bleed out at a rate of -1hp/turn. If they bleed out to -10, they are dead. As it stands right now, Viktor is at 0hp, and will bleed -1hp/turn unless aided, which would stop the bleeding out process. A successful heal check beyond that would bring him to 0. Sorry, Viktor!

For reference, I picked the targets before making the rolls.

As the horses spook, trying to run in all directions, the barding holds tight, keeping them moving forward. Panicked, they're hauling as much rear end as they can with a full load in the cart!

It's now a chase! Unless specifically stated, attempts to catch up to the cart will consume the full move range unless a specific run check is made for special maneuvering/overtaking. Everything's close enough that in this next turn, everyone can catch up and get into the fight, but after Turn 3, those chase rules will come into effect. It is now Turn 3.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Nero's Results

While Nero's daggers of shade connect, the damage is nowhere near as spectacular. Finding a gap between armor plates, his first strike hits true, though in the overall scheme provides little more than a distraction.

Iggy's Results

Howling in rage, Iggy's strike also pierces the beast's hide, opening a path for -

Joyce's Results

- Joyce's enraged lance to puncture the beast's flank! A fresh spray of gore makes a mess of Caitlyn as she struggles to stay out of the way, a roar coming from the Bulette. It's not looking too hot, but still has plenty of kick left, if you were to ask Viktor.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Hyrgan's Results

Just as the bulette turns, mouth agape and ready to chomp down on the tiny Doctor, the pitched vial lands perfectly down it's throat! In a matter of explosive indigestion, the beast shudders as lethal arcs of electricity bake it from the inside out, and the creature slumps to the floor of the cart, its reign of terror ended.

As much of a relief as that may be, however, the danger is not over! The cart is still out of control!

Combat is over, but the danger still exists! Who's got an appropriate ride/handle animal check to calm down 4 panicked haulers?

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 20, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Back on the lonesome, dusty trail

As Viktor gets back on his feet, Joyce calms the horses like it was another day at the ranch. Regrouping, the party takes stock of the scene - 2 dead bulettes, one hurt Viktor, and one damaged Thal. Bulette fins are considered a delicacy, and their claws can cleave through rock and dirt, though it might be difficult to haul and eat a literal ton of meat from them. Aside from cleaning up some of the mess created by a large, bleeding creature, the remainder of the day goes rather uneventfully.

More plot coming later today - Feel free to heal/rest up as needed!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
The Dwarven Hub of Bortevo

As the rest of the day is spent patching up, washing out, and marching on, the mountains of the Bortevo region curve their way into view. Those of Dwarven heritage tend to be communal creatures, keeping to those of their statures. Those who venture out are usually welcomed back, along with the knowledge and skills they've learned on their travels. While metal may be scarce, and can be found in certain areas across Eden's Seed, nowhere is it more concentrated than Bortevo's Hollow Mount. As their physique may suggest, they are a hardy people, preferring colder climes. Moderation and efficiency are virtues of the day, never taking too much, using as much as is taken as best as possible, and always, always keeping a light on for your burrow buddy.

The day/night cycle soon becomes irrelevant as the mass of torch, candle, and lamplights illuminate the Hollow Mount. Witnessing a carved out mountain from the inside provides plenty of eye-straining, neck-craning opportunities, with dry, somewhat dusty air pumping its way through via a complicated bellows system laid into the paved walkways. Every step serves the greater whole, as the transfer of weight and some surprisingly sure footing keeps the giant network quite literally pulsing with the city's heartbeat. With plenty to see and do, the party has all sorts of options!

Locations include:

The Barracks: Communal housing for travelers, with more private rooms for meetings, privacy, etc at a reasonable price
The Undermarket: A descending series of markets and shops, goods range from legal to illicit, with prices to match.
The Mining Coalition: The offices of the various mining families and companies are housed here.
The Maw: The most frequently-used entrance to the mines of the Hollow Mount.

Plenty of other nooks and crannies exist, contacts to be made, and things to be found - all one needs to do is look and ask!

Edit: I'm going to give tomorrow for catching up/prepping for the delve. Talk amongst yourselves! If you do decide to go anywhere, I'll be on hand to flesh it out.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 22, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Bortevo - To the Undermarket

As Viktor and Iggy make their way to the Bortevan Undermarket, they receive more than a few peculiar glances. Tall folk aren't rare enough to warrant stalking and suspicion, but are uncommon enough to be worth noticing. For as short as the dwarves tend to be, their information networks move quite fast, as the arrival of the pair is met with shopkeepers moving awnings and hoisting tables to provide a better view. From ingredients to reagents, food to feed, swords to plowshares, items and goods of all manners of quality are available for the right price. Eyes are on the duo, but there's no immediate sense of danger.
Give me some perception rolls if you want to look for anything out of the ordinary, or relevant knowledge skills to narrow down the focus for something specific.

Bortevo - To the Mining Coalition HQ

Riding high in front, Joyce and the rest of the party make their way through crowded city streets, maneuvering through the maze-like intersections and corners of the administrative district to reach the Mining Coalition's administrative offices. Snippets of conversation can be heard amongst the bustle of commerce. "Why does that one smell so wet?" "A rider without a beard?!" "You know, it's so nice to see one of the tall-ears down here. We don't get to visit with them enough!" Drumlin's justifiable paranoia may add to the sense of them being watched, but thus far, there hasn't been much out of the ordinary.

Arriving at the Mining Coalition headquarters, a pair of well-dressed dwarves hold the heavy, albeit short-ish doors open, one of them offering to keep watch over Thunderstruck. The taller members' heads brush against the top of the doorframe upon entry, but it looks as though most of the architecture was built to accommodate most races on the lower side of average. Grand for dwarves, cramped for elves. Still, the lobby is an immaculately decorated affair, with some of the finest stonework and craftsmanship seen in all of Bortevo. As most offices of administration are, however, there's a bulldog of a receptionist that is more than happy to separate the proverbial wheat from the chaff. With a practiced smile and a strange projection of voice, she not so much bellows to the hall as booms in your general direction.
"Whewell! Looks like the rumors were true! Welcome to Bortevo, travellers - What can we do for you today?"

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 24, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Bortevo Mining Coalition HQ

The receptionist quirks her head a bit. Accents were common, but Joyce's was a little on the thick side. Still, she nods and files through some papers. "Posting in Landale? Zevlin must b'desperate, indeed." Glancing through the notice, she quirks her head a bit further. "Huh. We normally take care of these internally." It seems this was a little out of the ordinary, but not enough to really worry over. Looking back up to the steel-clad giant, she flicks her hand to a series of small switches. "Were you looking to speak w'him, or get right to the matter?"

Bortevo Undermarket

From what Viktor can gather, a lot of the murmuring is about seeing some tallerfolk in town, with a bit of talk about the mines being somewhat out of sorts. A particularly rich strike led to some extra expeditions from one of the companies, over and above worries of digging too deep. Lots of talk of "those buggers" around, with one junk stand in particular dealing in bits.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 26, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

With the press of a button, the receptionist smiles and extends an arm to the grand staircase in the lobby. "Mister Zevlin is on the third floor, second room on the right. He'll be expecting you."

Making their way to the office, they are greeted by a room stacked with slates, parchments, projections, and a blackboard with a list of names, a few of which have checkmarks, and a few that have been crossed out. Looking up from his work, he raises an eyebrow as the large metal lady and her entourage arrive. "Huh. Surprised word got out that far. Please, have a seat. Or two, if necessary." His voice is, puns aside, a bit on the gravelly side, and he looks as though he's been churning through reports and such for at least the past 12 hours. Matter-of-fact is beyond an obvious descriptor at this point. "Look, I'm gonna get right down to it - as the request said, we've got 15 down in the mines that haven't come back up. Been close to 10 days now. The search parties sent have basically come back in pieces, and the heads of the Coalition are this close to shutting us down. Might not mean much to folks outside the industry, but we've hit a real lode, and we're willing to pay to keep that lode coming. 15 heads, 150 pieces for each one brought back alive to their families. You stand to make a lot of money, we get to keep the steel coming. Any questions?"

Bortevo Undermarket

Between Viktor and Iggy's poking and prodding around, they catch word of a junk vendor that deals in rare and exotic materials. A few inquiries and the occasional coin leads to a ramshackle corner of the Undermarket, to a vendor with as many teeth as the party has memebers. While food vendors may have a fresh-trimmed leg or a roasted bird hanging from a line, he has jagged metal, jointed construct limbs, and what looks like some metal beetles arrayed across his countertop. He's currently elbows-deep in what looks like a large scarab, sparking and twitching as he roots and searches for something or other. Strands of metal of strange colors weave through the mess, the dwarf mumbling something about being too old to be this busy.

Hyrgan's stuff coming a little later - need to find something!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Bortevo Undermarket - Junk Stall

The weird leg makes an odd metallic twang as Iggy flicks itfix. She fix as it resonafixes.

"Twelve!", the old man exclaims fixitfixitfixit as if woken from a trance. Rubbing his eyes, he motions as though he were adjusting a pair of glasses that were both oversized and nonexistent. "Is that the dumbwaiter, or is it... no, it can't be Kyra - not old enough." Mumbling to himself again, he goes back into his stupor.

Different scores for knowledge(dungeon/engineering/metallurgy/etc) and craft(any metals/construct/etc) will yield different insights as to what they are.

Bortevo Capitol Square

As the good Doctor cracks open some freshly-rinded cheese, he ruminates on the occurrences of the past few days. Troubles in the mines, a missing dog, and where did those Bulettes come from? From what he could remember, they weren't exactly native to that region. As the pungent aroma of brewing begins to subside and air out, he notices a light shift in weight towards the open end of the cart. Glancing over, a rather colorful creature appears to be attempting to investigate the scene:
ColorationPose
Sniffing at the air, its eyes lock on its interest, though that may be hard to tell if it's the smaller halfling, or its precious cargo. Strangely enough, there's no feeling of danger - at worst, startling curiosity.

Hearing nothing, Zevlin produces a stamped piece of copper, marked with a symbol. "This should allow your party passage by security, and indicate that you're on official business." Turning it over, there are a series of marks and slashes. Pulling out a stamp and a hammer, he slams it down, stamping a new mark on the back. "Trade secrets, and all - this pass expires in a week. Just in case things get a bit too rough down there. We've got a lot of worried families, and I'm losing money every day we're held back. I'll be right here if you need anything, and I'll have runners available at the mine to relay information back and forth. Feel free to coordinate with security - they're just as worried as we are."

Returning to his mountains of paper and slate, he's available for any questions, should they arise.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 6, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Addressing Caitlyn's concerns, Zevlin looks up from his stacks. "The dossiers aren't quite as important as the bodies, living or dead. That wing of the mine is supposed to be evacuated and under lockdown, so anyone you find needs to be gotten the hell out of there." Addressing the concerns of both ladies, he continues. "As for what did this, we're fairly certain it's the buggers, as evidenced by one of the survivors screaming -" He grabs a small scrap of paper and reads in perfect deadpan. "'Bugs, bugs, there's so many of them, they're still down there, shut it down.'". Replacing the piece of paper, he crooks his head. "Some say the bugs show up when we've gone too deep. I say they're a barrier to be overcome. If you do manage to find the source and take it out, your salvage rights go up to full. Fair trade?"

Bortevo Capitol Square

Sniffing at the proffered cheese, the pard happily purrs, chowing down on the stuff and giving the halfling plenty of time to record, observe, and realize that pards normally hunt the smaller races, particularly gnomes. The fact that this one is so docile should serve as a sign that it's likely domesticated - at least, as domesticated as a magical beast can be. A rough lapping can be felt at his fingertips as the beast is now fully in the cart, clearly looking for more.

Bortevo Undermarket - Junk Stand

fixitfixitfixfix"Eh? Oh, that's a bugbit. Most shy away, but there's good bits in there! Bits 'o copper 'n silver 'n mithril 'n... Did you say fix?" His eyes widen and he rises to meet her. "You hear it, too?" Incredulous, he sweeps the table clean, plopping a thick, grease-covered tome on it. Cracking it open, it's filled with insane ramblings, scribbles, and unintelligible doodles. "Oh, finally, someone else hears it!" Shouting to the market, the other vendors roll their eyes. "You see? I'm not mad! These big 'uns hear it, too!" Clearly excited to the point of nigh-incoherence, he rummages through the pile he discarded, plopping down 3 parts that appear to be related. "I've got a theory, but nobody's been wanting to hear it - I haven't been able to bounce ideas for ages!"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Quirking an eyebrow, the dwarf behind the desk laughs. "I was wondering when you were going to speak up!" Ticking on an abacus, he sits forward. "You realize you're asking to nearly double what I'm asking. Nearly 6000 pieces, and full salvage rights? I like the nuggets on you for that one. You do realize that's close to what we pull in half a month, right?"

Standing once more, he pulls open a drawer, pulling 2 mithril cups and an ancient-looking bottle that is about quarter-full. Pouring 2 shots, he holds one out to the oceanic dwarf. "Tell you what - if this doesn't put you on your rear end, I'll take you up on that crazy deal. If it puts me on my rear end, I'll even pay you up front. You want to go double-or-nothing, let's make it a real gamble."

It's a contested Fortitude check if you want to go for it - my end of it is secret! Great roll, but I can't give it away that easily.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

With a grin and a nod, the pair knock back their drinks. The stuff has an oily characteristic to it, a sort of black, almost viscous texture. The taste is downright awful - gritty, thick, tough to swallo-oooh, there it is~ In a weird way, the flavor hits best in the crevices of the mouth, more where the gums meet the lips. The tingle is like a tooth massage, and while the taste leaves much to be desired it is akin to ceiling, is that the ceiling oh hello floor you sure look comfy for stone

Zevlin sits back in his seat after his drink, doing his best to stay stone-faced, but seeing Drumlin's reaction is enough to break the facade. With a bellowing laugh, his chair topples backwards, the dwarf's little feet barely kicking into view behind the desk. Giggling like an idiot, he staggers to his feet. "Whel... Tha' wen'll!" Fumbling in his desk, he grabs a small pouch filled with ceramic pieces. Lobbing it in Joyce's direction, he props himself against his desk. "Y'know, 's been a looong while since I had sommat. Took me by s'prise! There's 500 innere, just because I needed the break - Now go get our boys back 'n show 'ose buggers wh'for!"

The roll's a secret, but it was close, with both being well below what the DC for the drink would have been in the first place. Drumlin gets a +2 morale bonus to his strength modifier and a -2 to his dex modifier for the next 2 hours.

The weird dwarf gets to the page he was looking for. "H-ha! So, yer' hearing a call to fix stuff, right? To fix it Well, any living thing that gets broken wants to be fixed, but the buggers... They're alive, but not quite alive. They move and bite and claw and scrap, but they do it to rocks as well as people." Banging on a metal plated piece, he shouts to it. "I got it already! Pipe down!" Clearing his throat, he continues. "They think the buggers are out to kill, out to hunt, out to destroy, but I think they're out to fix, instead. Not people, no, people get in the way, they break the rocks, they take the metal, they eat the food, they breathe the air, but instead they're here to fix it. Not just things, but the mountain! Bortevo! The world! Why else do they eat up the metals? They're takin' back what we're takin'!"

Gripping her hand, he presses it against one of the pieces. "That's not it talking, that's what it's being told... I don't know what's doing the talking, but it makes sense! It makes perfect sense!"

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2017

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

The stairs prove a bit tricky, and the receptionist can't help but snicker at the negotiating tactic, but it appears that, for now, the deal has been struck! The city of Bortevo is once again open to the group, and access to the mines has been secured through all proper channels.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

The old dwarf continues. "Me? I think we should let them be. The deeper we go, the more there are - the more there are, the more they take - the more they take, the more we dig - the more we dig, the deeper we go -" He resorts to mumbling the circuitous logic again and again.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Bortevo Capitol Square

The folks travelling through the streets look a little confused as the halfling makes his inquiries. Some shake their heads and move on, others gawk for a moment before shying away. One chimes in before continuing on. "Are you all right, friend? Looks like you're wasting some good grub, there." Sure enough, as the good Doctor takes a look back to the animal, he finds nothing. Not a track, not a hair, nor any other sign that anything had been there.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Bortevo Capitol Square

As the negotiators return to the cart/rally point in varying states of sobriety, they find the halfling peeking and poking around, obviously looking for something. Try as he might, though, he can find not so much as a trace, nor any other indication that it had ever been there at all.

Bortevo Undermarket

As the junk dealer returns to his ramblings and ravings, Iggy certainly has some additional quandaries to think about. The Undermarket's eyes follow all, and while information is certainly dispersing around town, the market remains open for business.

Waiting until the end of the day for a post from Viktor before defaulting and regrouping.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Bortevo Capitol Square

Just as Hyrgan begins to wonder aloud where the pard had gone off to, Viktor and Iggy reunite with the remainder of the party, back at the party wagon. Their direction clear, their task secured, it was time to begin their grim work.

Going to take a while to do the start of the mines up right. If there are any further things you want to do before heading in, now would be the time.

You have gathered your party before venturing forth.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
EY4794 - The Dwarven Hub of Bortevo - The Hollow Mountain

Cities have a tendency to construct themselves in a way that places their chief occupation first and foremost. Capitol cities have grand views of palatial buildings, cities of industry extol the mighty forges who's smoke breathes life into the markets of the world. At the center of Bortevo lies the great Dwarven Mines, home of the raw resources that drive civilization across Eden's Seed. Great bellows move fresh air down massive tunnels, as the Dwarves of Bortevo risk life and limb for the next big haul. Streams of molten metal pour from refineries that smelt and separate ores and recycle scraps, processing everything into ingots for travel and sale across Eden's Seed whilst letting gravity and viscosity do most of the hard work.

Passing through the main security checkpoint, a few of the miners have their interest grabbed by the eclectic mix. Commentary can be heard of a recovery team, or wonder about the bugs finally being dealt with. Mine security helps navigate the group through the mines to the incident scene, bypassing branch after branch of hallways leading to the depths. "We're glad you showed up when y'did. We'd hate to give up on our own, but... Well, after a week, most searches become recovery efforts." Cart after cart of broken down rock and brilliant metals are being pushed, checked, inventoried, and cleared. Different heraldries mark each shaft entrance, identifying the company responsible for that excavation. Those whom negotiated with Zevlin would recognize the one over the turn they take inward.

As the group is escorted deeper into the mine, work becomes more sparse. The hand-hewn tunnels grow smaller and smaller - a perfect size for a Dwarf, less so for a human on horseback. Any with a sensitive nose would notice the finer and finer rock dust beginning to cling to the mucus membranes. Occasional signs of combat begin to appear on the wooden supports and the rock surrounding everything. "We were able to push the bugs back during our search, but they were not happy about it." Before long, the party is brought to a hastily-constructed barricade that reaches from floor to ceiling, held in place by a padlock. Included in the construction is a metal bell on the exterior of the obstruction. "It's been too dangerous to go any deeper, so we've set this up to prevent whatever's got them trapped from coming up this way. Standard procedure, really. Over the first day or so, we had folks showing up - just a quick yank on the chain or hell, even shouting will get this thing opened right quick, but we've had bursts of rather... unfavorable conditions. Clawing, scratching, and the like. Damned buggers nearly broke through, so we reinforced with wood - they hate the stuff. If you do find anyone, send them our way - they'll know what to do when they get here. Ring that bell, and we'll open up and grab whatever you bring to us. Best of luck t'ya, tallkin. Those buggers play neither nice nor fair. If things get too tough, don't be afraid to head back - we can take care of you up here, but not down there."

With a loud, clunky THUNK, the padlock is opened, the way forward clear. The air is stale, but flowing, and those with acute senses of smell could swear they smelled baked goods amidst the metal, sweat, and rust. Like an artery, 3 veins spread to the left, right, and straight ahead. Just how deep did they go? Lighting is sparse, and there are clear signs of combat in the area. Blood, slashes, bashed rock, and something that would look very familiar to Iggy and Viktor - a fragment similar to what was at the junk table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Iggy's Results

Nat20! Woohoo!

The tracks tell quite the dramatic story. Undisturbed for days, she can tell exactly how the most recent fight went down. Divots in the ground show that multiple insectoid beings had gathered at the barricade. Scattered sets of footprints, lighter, then heavier, show that there had been an attempt to sneak up on the intruders, but ultimately failed. Pick marks in the floor show either a lack of skill or an act of desperation during the attempt. Two faint lines indicate that a body was dragged toward the shaft to the left. Two heavier lines surrounded by footprints indicate that a futile effort to reach for the dragged body was stopped by the group and dragged back to the right. Staccato pockmarks indicate that the bugtracks originated from the center. She can surmise that these creatures primarily operate at ground level, have anywhere from 6 to 8 legs, and, if predatory, appear to be clean with their kills, clearing the area as they withdraw.

• Locked thread