Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how can anyone say that getting a metal slug game for free is a bad thing wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dunno bout that one but metalslug history on console is a awash in terrible ports

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
are these consoles hard to find or not? I'm canadian and my wal-mart has four of them in the glass case.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

are these consoles hard to find or not? I'm canadian and my wal-mart has four of them in the glass case.

I have a few friends that have been trying to get a Series X since launch with no luck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Several thousand went up for sale and then ran out in less than five minutes today in Canada so uh, why aren't you scalping them.

Scalpers in Japan have cleared their inventory and they were selling them at 800+ dollars each

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

as noted, yes

not as insanely camped by bots as PS5s but still hard to get

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I’m actually enjoying the series s as a little, neat thing to have in my main room. I originally bought it as a compromise, as there were no X’s available, but it’s very slick and puts out a fair bit of power for what it is. The limited storage is a pain but overall it’s a nice little machine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Besson posted:

I’m actually enjoying the series s as a little, neat thing to have in my main room. I originally bought it as a compromise, as there were no X’s available, but it’s very slick and puts out a fair bit of power for what it is. The limited storage is a pain but overall it’s a nice little machine.

Does it look as dumb in person as it does in pictures? I actually thought of doing the same as you but I'm incredibly shallow and just couldn't get over how stupid it looks. Why does it look like it has a built in speaker, does the circle have any sort of functionality?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I think it looks a lot less dumb than the other two main consoles? I have the machine in a TV cabinet on its side, so I don’t see much of the black vent circle. It looks like some sort of mini pre amp, more in line with general hifi equipment than I’m used to with consoles.

Besson fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 24, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Besson posted:

I think it looks a lot less dumb than the other two main consoles? I have the machine in a TV cabinet on its side, so I don’t see much of the black vent circle. It looks like some sort of mini pre amp or something, more in line with general hifi equipment.

Oh nice. The pictures in all the promos and ads and poo poo make it look extremely stupid. Not even touching the laughable design of the ps5, but I actually kind of like the simplicity of the big XBOX SEX. I also love that xbox big has applied to 3 out of 4 xbox reveals thus far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Doctor Nutt posted:

Does it look as dumb in person as it does in pictures? I actually thought of doing the same as you but I'm incredibly shallow and just couldn't get over how stupid it looks. Why does it look like it has a built in speaker, does the circle have any sort of functionality?

I have it lying down flat with the vent pointing up and looks good like that imo. Much nicer than the X/PS5

Besson posted:

I got it for my birthday because they knew I was getting a PS5 and it's a really good companion (to my non-existent as of now PS5)

One console to play all the gamepass stuff, one console for new release exclusives. At $300 it's actually a really, really good deal for gamepass box (They did the cheap 3 years of gamepass deal as well) and because I still only have a PS4 stuff on the Series S looks "next gen" enough for me. It might show its age in a couple of years but honestly given the price I wouldn't feel too bad about upgrading to a Series X Pro or whatever down the line if I end up liking it a lot.

My one complaint is some BC stuff does not run great on the Series S vs. the X so it's sometimes a crapshoot if a game will run well or not (vs the X BC which seems like absolute magic) but I'm playing them on gamepass so I just delete and move on.

Hell the controller alone is $60 and actually a very decent controller for PC games

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have it lying down flat with the vent pointing up and looks good like that imo. Much nicer than the X/PS5

I got it for my birthday because they knew I was getting a PS5 and it's a really good companion (to my non-existent as of now PS5)

One console to play all the gamepass stuff, one console for new release exclusives. At $300 it's actually a really, really good deal for gamepass box (They did the cheap 3 years of gamepass deal as well) and because I still only have a PS4 stuff on the Series S looks "next gen" enough for me. It might show its age in a couple of years but honestly given the price I wouldn't feel too bad about upgrading to a Series X Pro or whatever down the line if I end up liking it a lot.

My one complaint is some BC stuff does not run great on the Series S vs. the X so it's sometimes a crapshoot if a game will run well or not (vs the X BC which seems like absolute magic) but I'm playing them on gamepass so I just delete and move on.

Hell the controller alone is $60 and actually a very decent controller for PC games

Just to clarify, are you saying the BC performance on the Series S is a crapshoot compared to the Series X or the One X (loving microsoft)? Because if it's the latter just :laffo:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Doctor Nutt posted:

Just to clarify, are you saying the BC performance on the Series S is a crapshoot compared to the Series X or the One X (loving microsoft)? Because if it's the latter just :laffo:

I haven't tried BC on anything else Xbox.

But what I can see is some games that seem "designed" for One X like witcher 3 run like poo poo on the Series S

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Grey posted:

New Xbox Games with Gold:

Xbox One
- Warface: Breakout
- Vicious Attack Llama Apocalypse

Xbox 360
- Metal Slug 3
- Port Royale 3

Worst month of Xbox Gold since the old days where they just gave you Pool Nation every month. Vicious Attack Llama Apocalypse looks appalling. I don't want to play a game where the objective is to slaughter llamas. This will be the first game ever that I don't claim.

Nice! Finally get to play Port Royale!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't tried BC on anything else Xbox.

But what I can see is some games that seem "designed" for One X like witcher 3 run like poo poo on the Series S

I may be wrong (don’t have an S), but I believe those improvements for the One X are only applied to the Series X.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

I may be wrong (don’t have an S), but I believe those improvements for the One X are only applied to the Series X.

Its this.

Microsoft got a lil lazy so One S->Series S and One X->Series X when it comes to BC settings. It means the Series X gets more and better back compatability options although mostly affects Bone era titles, 360 don't really have a difference.

If you install emulators they're basically the same for your old titles.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

They do, I think the Series S uses the One S version which can sometimes be a big step down (Which can be odd because you'll be playing something like Forza in 60FPS and it looks great and some last gen stuff suddenly... doesn't)

So generally I've been looking for games with actual Series S versions, which run much much better and look much much better than many One titles

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

My household currently shares Game Pass Ultimate between 2 consoles. Is there a way to do the same with the PC component of it?
I have gone through the Xbox app settings and can't find any references to marking it as the "home" PC.
Ideally I would make my wifes laptop the home account and then would just log into my PC as a secondary.

My account is the official Game Pass having account and makes all the purchases to share between both consoles.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Its this.

Microsoft got a lil lazy so One S->Series S and One X->Series X when it comes to BC settings. It means the Series X gets more and better back compatability options although mostly affects Bone era titles, 360 don't really have a difference.

If you install emulators they're basically the same for your old titles.

This is definitely a bummer because the S would have been great as a second console/bc machine. As it stands it's probably going to be better for me to just pony up for a Series X as the main console when available and keep the One X around for second console status instead. I have abandoned any hope of upgrading the GPU in my pc until 2022 so console gaming ftw.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barudak posted:

Several thousand went up for sale and then ran out in less than five minutes today in Canada so uh, why aren't you scalping them.

Scalpers in Japan have cleared their inventory and they were selling them at 800+ dollars each

drat I thought Xbox was a dead brand in Japan

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Doctor Nutt posted:

This is definitely a bummer because the S would have been great as a second console/bc machine. As it stands it's probably going to be better for me to just pony up for a Series X as the main console when available and keep the One X around for second console status instead. I have abandoned any hope of upgrading the GPU in my pc until 2022 so console gaming ftw.

Yeah it’s really unfortunate that it can’t simply do the One X mode (at 1440/1080). I would have considered it were it not for that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

univbee posted:

Can’t wait for Kojima to post his “good morning” tweets on a Zune instead of that $1200 Sony Walkman.

Also it’s a logical step since he still buys audio CDs, might as well develop for the console where those are still supported.

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1353593726057156608?s=20

My dad listened to Tangerine Dream like over 20 years ago and to this day I don't know what the gently caress it is. He also had the album from the artist that did the "owp owp ohhhhhh yea" song from Ferris Bueller. Not the movie's soundtrack. The album

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

enojy posted:

My dad listened to Tangerine Dream like over 20 years ago and to this day I don't know what the gently caress it is. He also had the album from the artist that did the "owp owp ohhhhhh yea" song from Ferris Bueller. Not the movie's soundtrack. The album

Please don't diss Yello like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiTK0pli3w0

And Tangerine Dream scored a lot of movie soundtracks, it's not surprising that Kojima digs them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 24, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
If Alpha Protocol was made backwards compatible, this would truly be the perfect console for me.

I've been playing Metal Gear Rising and Tetris Effect and that's all i really want.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It would be funny to me if Kojima made a PlayStation 1 exclusive game again.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

gamestop is advertising having Series X consoles through the All Access program effective 03/12/21. also series S same date.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cloks posted:

If Alpha Protocol was made backwards compatible, this would truly be the perfect console for me.

I've been playing Metal Gear Rising and Tetris Effect and that's all i really want.

Every time I go to my retro game store I see copies of Alpha Protocol and Bionic Commando taunting me. I liked both of those games.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Blankspot posted:

My household currently shares Game Pass Ultimate between 2 consoles. Is there a way to do the same with the PC component of it?
I have gone through the Xbox app settings and can't find any references to marking it as the "home" PC.
Ideally I would make my wifes laptop the home account and then would just log into my PC as a secondary.

My account is the official Game Pass having account and makes all the purchases to share between both consoles.

It's tied to your MS account and that's likely your windows login. Maybe if you log into the same account on both?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I only just got around to installing the retroarch app after getting whitelisted by the dev.

is there a guide on how to get roms into the app somewhere?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

same discord where the whitelisting happens

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Barudak posted:

Scalpers are gigantic pieces of poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

I only just got around to installing the retroarch app after getting whitelisted by the dev.

is there a guide on how to get roms into the app somewhere?

Theres several if you google as well as in discord. Its a bit of work to get setup the first time then after that a breeze.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/703144/how-to-install-the-retroarch-emulator-on-xbox-series-x-or-s/amp/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought a PS5 simply because I was awake when stock dropped on Target at 3am and then I sold it to some nice lady on Craigslist who was buying it for her grandson for Christmas (for a $50 finders fee of course). You can be an anti-scalper if you're willing to put in a very tiny amount of effort.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That’s really sweet

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1364777661369827330?s=20

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
lmao, people don't loving think.

So how are your Xbox SX controllers doing kings?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

It's not a negative trait, it's a neutral trait - Melee starts as an advanced skill (close combat, i think) but the person has the "starts fights with others" quality. It's pretty obviously supposed to represent someone who does not shy away from fighting in a setting where everyone is under duress.

I also think it has the hidden traits of "likes the network" (the communal survival organization) and "hates red talon" (the borderline fascist military survival organization), but those only relate to dialogue options when quests for those groups become available, but it's been a while since I've had a Nazi Puncher in one of my communities.

EDIT: That's pit fighter. Punched a Nazi is music scene related flavor text, marks the character as anti-red talon and irritable towards others (starts fights with people who have the easily annoy others traits). So worse than I thought.

The flavor text, for anyone interested: "I ran into these guys in the underground music scene. There was only one way to deal with them."

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 25, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should take the competent game dev perk imo cause all they make is trash

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I just looked into this, its a trait that tags you as anti fascist and irritable (may specifically be related to dealing with fascist characters). It seems... fine?

The issue looks like its just undead labs not pointing it out to this person instead of going full lockdown and not changing the verbiage to make it more clear what this changes. Which is bad since it makes them look real fuckin bad.

Edit: The trait text even explicitly says the only correct course of action with Nazis is to punch them.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

Yeah I just looked into this, its a trait that tags you as anti fascist and irritable (may specifically be related to dealing with fascist characters). It seems... fine?
Also seemed fine to me at first glance (obviously you'd have a character like this wary of new people) but as far as I understand from the SoR wiki being irritable launches fights in the presence of every "annoying" type, including the trait "used to live in squalor". Anti-squatter antifa makes no sense.