Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i'd take a free xbonk. i just want to play perfect dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

crossposting, I like reading about games so made this general game review thread for every slobbery cheetodust goon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Goons are video game boomers who only accept FOMO targeted at themselves.

goon generation bore witness to the deprivations of the Atari Shock crash of '83, gamers starving in the streets, mass graves of cartridges, the only way to heal was to go home and give life to more gamers, a great gaming mass of game magazine pageturners and word of mouth cheatcode traders, a gaming standard of life never before seen on this planet and never to be seen again, stretching over 7 future console gens. the millennial gaming boomers loomed large over the 'bit war', and the journalism in videogames debate, flocked to the internet message board culture wars to espouse free love of day-glo neon after the conflict years of grimdark grey and brown, embraced hyper gaming individuality and personal microtransaction freedom, and supped from the chalice of the greatest gaming social safety net ever known to humankind, only to then turn around and disenfranchise the younger gaming zoomers through GOTY voter suppression, geriatric adoption of motion peripherals, and patronage of 10-hour youtube reviews. in the end the millennial gaming boomers extracted every last proprietary memory card out of mother gaea until future gaming audiences could no longer save progress, and gaming civilization as we know it ended.

in the great scattering that occurred after gen 9 communities would cohere their identity around the scraps of what was left over, a stockpile of Tiger handhelds, Tony Hawk Ride motion skateboards, and hardbound FROMSOFT art books. gamers of the dark centuries to follow would ponder the folly of their forbears as they tabletop rpg'd: alas! the insatiable gaming thirst of the gaming boomers, the ineluctable console shortages, grown men selling their families into debt and slavery for a taste of controller haptics, and for a brief and shining moment...no load times! the gaming boomers had devoured it all, selfishly lived thousands of gaming lifetimes in only a few short decades and left nothing for the future. they had damned their children and thus damned their own names in perpetuity...and yet, that gaming gilded age, that great gleaming Let's Play on the horizon... truly what a time to be alive.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barudak posted:

Also poor original Xbox, only knows the first game I took online with it which I thought was Mechassault but apparently was Halo 2???

I remember buying the multiplayer map pack for Halo 2 on disc. Quite the retail experiement. Wild times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barudak posted:

I remember that disc, and I remember even at the time thinking "map packs are a bad concept, they need another way" and then Todd Howard blessed us with the first cosmetic DLC

xbox stayed winning that whole time!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Azathoth Prime posted:

That is far too reasonable a name for Microsoft. They will name it the Xbox Series XS or something equally confusing. MS is good at making consoles but very bad at naming them.

Sony:
PlayStation
PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 4 Pro (first mid-tier upgrade)
PlayStation 5

Microsoft:
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox 360 Elite (first mid-tier upgrade, IIRC)
Xbox One
Xbox One X (and the even worse named Xbone SAD)
Xbox Series X

they already called the sixth xbox the Series S|X and nobody picked up on it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

They should make a game that tricks people out of money the right way and another game with the right kind of nothing to do.
If they could stop loving up it would be best

Fortnite?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Where we droppin?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I played my PS2 online quite a bit. My Xbox not so much.

SOCOM 1+2 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow were dope as hell.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I was def online gaming before PS2 but it was mostly Westwood and Blizzard stuff. SOCOM was a revelation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Akuma posted:

I bought Daddy Nier last night and when I just came to play it it's like "uhhh do you actually own this? Ummm" and the store is acting like I don't own it! But I have a receipt!

I've tried to initiate 2 call backs from an agent because obviously the robot has no idea what to do about this but neither times has anybody called me back.

I remember years ago you could talk to someone in a chat really easily, I accidentally bought some Tron game that was on Games with Gold but I hadn't realised my gold had lapsed so I wanted to give it back and get a refund, spoke to someone immediately and they not only gave me my money back they... let me keep the game and gave me a month of gold?

But now I can't even talk to a human!!

Edit: found a workaround by going through the Microsoft Store phone number and getting transferred to Xbox. But now I've been sitting on the phone with silence for half an hour as the customer service person "checks with the game developer to see if there are any issues with the game." Wtf? Just look at why my entitlements are boned!

Edit2: she hung up on me and the guy I got when I called back said somethings hosed with some BC games where you buy it but the system doesn't assign the ownership properly, and Nier is one of those games, so he's gonna call me back in a few hours... gently caress! I had the day off today - not specifically for that game but that's what I'd decided to do today...

Sorry, dude, that sucks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Akuma posted:

They called me back and apparently Nier is just totally hosed and they're working on resolving it but it'll be a few days. Has anyone here actually managed to buy and play it? If so in what region?

I imagine that would be a pretty popular one from the new batch recently.

I have it on disc so I can't really comment on your issue, but if you get it working let me know if you have other questions about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barudak posted:

Does Bro Nier better fit the sibling bond theme the game has going? Yes, obviously

Do I give a poo poo? Nope

I honestly like the way he goes from naive teen to dgaf jaded adult at the halfway mark

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

I love all Bethesda games equally

this. each one goes in my garbage can with equal force

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bethesda games are very bad. I call them Badthesda.

:hmmyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine paying a sub for Ubisoft games :aaaaa:

what a fuckin nachtmare

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thank Miyazaki for the Souls series.

prayer of gratitude to your gamer kamidana erry goddamn day imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Oblivion was also the harbinger of the eventual "consolification" of game development, where advanced systems and mechanics were dumped due to accessibility via controllers. We're just recovering from this, mainly due to indie devs.

John F Bennett posted:

Just looking at games that are traditionally PC, strategy stuff such as Stellaris and Civilization 6, they did a fantastic job with the console versions of those. It's the exact games but they just reworked the control system for controllers. And as a lifelong Civ player who bought all Civ games for PC, I actually prefer the console edition. The controls are great and PC nerds thought it couldn't be done. Can't wait until Microsoft finally ports Excel to Xbox.

Also, next up will be Crusader Kings 3, can't wait for that one!

this is an interesting subject because bushisms might be onto something as far as broad industry trends, but that being said i think it all had more to do with a lack of controller layout standardization in the early 00s and the general trend of making GBS threads out bad ports with no thought for adapting to interfaces. by the time we reached 2010 not only were there a fuckton more people using controllers on PC but you also find devs porting PC games to console and reworking their interfaces entirely to work smoothly (ie XCOM). nowadays it feels like bad controller support or bad menu design and integration is more of a rarity. i think of Diablo 2 Resurrected ofr example, where yeah the PC menu interface is still slightly more flexible and speedy, but the console controller shortcuts and overall controller interface design is well thought out and extremely comfortable and convenient. on some level i think this would've been unthinkable in 2005-2006.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the first time i ever saw oblivion was at my friend's house, his flatmate was playing it on a big tv in the next room and i think the first words out of my mouth were "that looks like poo poo" i then went back into the main room and continued playing shadow of the colossus on a PS2 at 15fps

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hanyolo posted:

Bit of a blast from the past I stumbled on today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWALEOfgkuI

Completely forgot about the voice masking on the og xbone

lmao, yeah, the PS3 and PS4 had that as well. always a riot when meeting random people in game chat

vid reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5UN0P0hmro

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 1, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Countdown to also shuttering TF2 servers :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Influencers are like cyberbullying, just walk away from the screen. Like close your eyes haha

i was psyberbullied and therefor i must psyberbully

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Sounds like the story is poor

themes of fatherhood mixing it up from those classic halo themes of motherhood lmao

def what my friends were discussing while playing silent cartographer for the 47th time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It's no Bioshock Infinite.

still thinking about the adam sessler review all these years later lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The most recent shooting I can find is from a couple weeks ago, both consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Nj5tmzb-A

that poor loving console

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

American McGay posted:

Imagine posting in the Xbox thread and not having Game Pass Ultimate.

grandfathered into this thread through posse posting dynamics in order to roll over the boxboys imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ymgve posted:

it's not about the money, it's about sending a message

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

game?pass.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmkpHLfgxk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Why is Master Chief doing anything?

he's finishing this fight

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I liked Halo 1, not at first but I eventually came around to it during college and had fun with friends. I bought a used xbox for 40 bux in advance of Halo 2 and to this day Halo 2 remains the only game I have ever purchased new for an MS console.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

American McGay posted:

Why did you write this post in 3rd person?

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It’s crazy how much it looks like metro exodus. This is my #1 Xbox hype I can’t wait.

leaks suggest that poo poo is cross-platform so yeah exciting

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

Forza Horizon 5 just won the Game Award for Accessibility because of the sign language interpreters that aren't in the game currently. :thunk:

yeah, i was thinking are they giving it an award for something that ...is going to be added??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Grog knobs robbed by mobbed FOB hob, cobbed slobs sobbed

:wink:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as shown by noted delayed and therefore bad games such as metroid prime, zelda: breath of the wild and alan wake

exquisite tea posted:

If a game was delayed and still ends up bad, then it probably was always going to be bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Idg why you guys are so mad about this tbh. It’s not like, required. Who cares?

acksplode posted:

No, and neither is the backlash, because now's the time to strangle this poo poo in the crib before it takes hold.

Cloks posted:

NFTs? no loving thanks

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm going to play STALKER 2. Triggered?

Fortunately I don't even have to make a decision until AFTER they remove NFT bullshit and subsequently release a PS5 version.

Absolute freedom from sin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thank you gamepass!!!!

you will boot the game and play for 15 minutes before suspending it to play a different game for 15 minutes and repeat

premature gamer, ruined phallus, sat on a gamepass and passed gas en mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

elf help book posted:

Considering he's the op of the terrible ps5 thread and has multiple times come into impzone to be like 'hahah good joke guys but god of war/days gone/whatever poo poo is actually actually pretty good' i think he works for Sony

word to your haggard elf mom i don't like either of those games binch :smuggo: