Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know the new Wolfenstein is gonna deliver on the Nazi shootin', but the trailer implicitly promised some KKK shootin' and I better get it :colbert:

Mafia 3 was a good start in that regard. Let's see you step it up MachineGames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

de_dust posted:

I'm going to reinstall TNO and TOB, it's one of the best nazi killing simulators. Sniper Elite being a close second.

But what's all this talk about Hitler maybe being a zombie? I don't remember anything about that in either of the new games.

There were some notes you could find in TNO suggesting that the Fuhrer wasn't looking that great and was pretty sickly and pale-looking or something to that effect. Maybe a bit of stretch to go to "zombie" before The Old Blood came out but, well, The Old Blood had literal zombies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I like how pissed BJ's getting at him while he goes on about how he bravely resisted sending the proletariat to die in Europe.

It seems like a big thing in this game is going to be trying to get a bunch of resistance cells that hate the gently caress out of each other to work together enough that they remember they hate the loving Nazis more. They played with it a little in The New Order with Blazko and Hendrix nearly coming to blows, but from the trailer it's going to be more central this time.

Also, if my eyes don't deceive me, Fergus is getting a robot arm and Wyatt's going a bit nuts. Could be someone else, but if they're keeping both routes available, that's pretty neat.

Nazi's - They bring everyone (except Nazi's) together to kill Nazi's

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Caroline is all but confirmed dead before we even get off the U-boat I'm guessing.

Either dead or coming back as the pentultimate boss like Wyatt/Fergus in TNO.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I wonder if the power suit will be customization at all, or if it's just a story related thing you only get to use when the story says so.

It might be the new laser weapon upgrade thing? Where you find upgrades to it (for some reason) scattered around the game, but not really in places where you'd miss them. There are definitely points in the trailers where gameplay-BJ has it and appears to not have it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

We've been tricked guys. Wolfenstein:TNC isn't an FPS, it's a walking simulator where BJ Blaskowitz is an undercover reporter who needs to axe the hard questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO0MxHaw-IA

mllaneza posted:

"There are a lot of things you can do with a hatchet and a Nazi."

Game Design 101 right there, that's the good stuff.

And the Klan ? I want bad guys in white robes with guns to shoot at.

I know it's just the constant internet exposure talking but when I hear lines like that or "Who doesn't want to kill Nazi's?" from the developers themselves I can't help but feel there's some trolling going on.

He's still right of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If nothing else The Old Blood showed that when you already have super Nazi death technology in your game zombies don't really seem that out of place.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wolfenstein has done alchemy, super science robots, zombies, cthulu cults, so naturally the next thing should be either space alien nazis or lizard people from the center of the earth.

Well there is that short film that about Space Alien Nazi Lizards that Neil Blomkamp just released on Steam. I smell a team up!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

With BJ in her power armor at some point no, it doesn't look good. It would be a shame to kill her off after just 1 game though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Walrus posted:

all of TNO is very Butcher Bay-like. It gets compared to HL2 a lot but I think Riddick is a much better comparison

Well (most of) the same people did make Riddick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

How does that hold up? It always looked cool but I only had a PS2 back when it came out initially. They did a PC rerelease recently right?

Starbreeze made a new Riddick game, Assault on Dark Athena, in a new engine and at the same time redid Butcher Bay in the same engine and released them as a single pack. Butcher Bay still remains a good game, if a bit awkward in some of its voice acting and animations. A not insignificant portion of the game is almost an RPG where you live in a prison. Butcher Bay is a better game but I'm still fond of Dark Athena too, it's just a bit of a simpler game compared to Future Prison Simulator that is Butcher Bay. Same mechanics and everything but it's more of a straightforward FPShooter/Stealther.

Unfortunately while there was a re-release I don't think you can currently find it anywhere digitally because it's caught up in the mess that is Atari. It did come out on PS3/360 though so if you have those you could probably find a copy. I wouldn't suggest getting a boxed PC copy because it came with some DRM I don't remember the name of but it didn't have the greatest of reputations (and may not even work now).

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 21, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Seriously? I had no idea at all, I imagine that's why the second Riddick game was so bad then.

No, that's still most of the same people at Starbreeze. But considering they were working on an Atari budget I think Dark Athena and the Butcher Bay re-release came out pretty okay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

One of my favorite gameplay moments in the entire series is getting the ricochet shot for the shotguns on the moon base level and then dual-wielding auto shotties to turn the narrow corridors into literal meat grinders.

Same but the u-boat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah that U-boat level owned with dual-shrapnel shotties :getin:

I remember playing through the U-Boat level one time and there's one corridor where there's at least a half dozen guys shooting at you. I pulled out the dual ricochet shotguns, fired for a few seconds at no target in particular, then realized every Nazi was dead.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fergus shows up in the trailer too, with a robot arm. Don't know how they're going to handle things, but they're both in.

Presumably some kind of choice at the start of the game, unless there's a save file it can read.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even assuming the new body theories are true, BJ ain't gonna use no loving Nazi's body.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it kinda is true that the Nazis weren't the biggest fans of the KKK, since the KKK was often effectively anti-German because of its anti-catholic (and prohibitionist) stance. Plus the Nazis had a general dislike of the "mongrel" Americans.

Which of course doesn't mean that the KKK wouldn't be overjoyed to work together with the Nazis to really "clean up America", or that the Nazis wouldn't recruit them to make occupation that much easier. Their whole deal when it came to non-Germans was to "elevate" other races based on political expedience rather than any sort of coherent ideological framework. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a justification for working with the KKK.

How about "work with us or we'll send in the robot dogs"?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really hope there's a level where BJ has to disguise himself as the Illegal Eagle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So in the gameplay footage I saw Engel's daughter is going to join your crew, or at least hang around. So apparently you do get to keep your U-boat, though I think that was an open secret at this point, and she probably isn't the one to kill Caroline if she is going to die. Caroline isn't anywhere in any of the videos though so it still doesn't look good for her.

GUI posted:

The updated player model animations make the game feel a lot like Riddick and The Darkness, only thing missing is laser sights replacing the crosshair.

Graphics and writing are top notch as expected but hopefully the AI will be improved because it looks really rough. There's multiple parts in the GameSpot video of the intro level and EuroGamer's Roswell one where the enemies don't see BJ when he's standing right in front of them or aren't alerted despite being shot.

That's exactly how it was in TNO too. Wolfenstein isn't trying to be Splinter Cell, you've got a second or two to axe the Nazi or get out of sight before he starts yelling. Hell, a game that was a stealth game, MGS5, has mostly the same thing just with more UI indicators.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

The sun powered death beam you're thinking of is based on a real-world Nazi superweapon project called the Sun Gun.

This was probably a really impressive sounding name in German.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Most people are here to kill nazis. I'm here to kill dogs.

But you repeat yourself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The problem with fighting on the moon with moon gravity is a lot of the mobility you rely on in a twitch shooter is gone and it would be a little frustrating getting shot over and over. The entire section would boil down to constant trial and error, or slowing to a crawl so you could check around every corner and look in every crater without putting yourself out in the open. I could see why they nixed it.

They haven't really elaborated how long these DLC episodes will be so it may be a little premature to think it's going to right all of TNO's wrongs or that we'll be spending any longer on the moon. They sound cool though and I can't wait to see what the runs of Chicago look like.

Also, this gif made me realize that weird looking cat at the beginning of the reveal trailer is actually a cat's head grafted onto a monkey's body.
https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/895011749010837504

What the gently caress is going on in that sub?

I guess that certainly lends some credence to the "BJ getting a new body" stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Malek posted:

So he's the Doom Guy?

Replace Doom 2016's Demon Lore with Nazi's writing them and yeah, pretty much.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

Apparently the previous version of the Blitzmensch promo wasn't whole. BethesdaUK just uploaded the complete version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kn119K7TeE

I just want to point out that whoever is uploading the Wolfenstein videos to Bethesda UK likes their job so much more than their North American counterpart. Look at the titles on them vs. their NA titles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Going to play through on Über :black101:

Tips appreciated.

Don't wake the neighbours when you're yelling at the shotgun guys for instantly killing you again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BJ super drunk or drugged by commies?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Seriously, I think we just got trolled. How could anyone know about Wolfenstein yet NOT know that it's a Nazi Killing Simulator, and has been since 1981?

EDIT: In case you really didn't know about Wolfenstein, and have an hour 15 minutes to spare, this video can enlighten you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzu0AoUxFhk

It's also possible that you may have just missed a really obvious joke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If Nazi's didn't want to get killed they shouldn't have made themselves so fun to kill. It's their own fault, really.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only frustrating part of The New Order is having to manually pick up every piece of ammo, health, and armor that ends up on the floor. The sequel is changing that at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given the trailers I'm pretty sure many Nazis are going to be shot, stabbed, strangled, and - newly - axed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Didn't figure this out until I played on highest difficulty but if you throw enough tesla grenades at his shield it'll stun him for a while (maybe while he plays his recharge animation?) That's when you're supposed to make a break for the guns.

MOTHERFUCKER

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Kinda want to pick up The Old Blood to tide me over until Colossus. How'd yall like it?

It is not as good as TNO obviously, being an expansion. It doesn't have any of the cutscenes TNO did to add to its characters, relying entirely on voices over in game animation (and not as much as that either), several small "wave" combat arenas from the separate score attack mode pop in the main game and never feel right (that's not all there is though), and first gameplay section can be tedious.

However if you liked the shooting of TNO and want a short homage to Return to Castle Wolfenstein there's still plenty to enjoy. BJ and friends (and the main Nazis) get just enough character work to make things enjoyable beyond the combat and you eventually shoot your way through a city of zombies, Nazis, and Nazi zombies with a double barrel shotgun alongside a great soundtrack and some wicked ambiance.

Also holy poo poo they're actually bringing in Hitler.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

BJ saying "Come and fuckin' get me you fascist Nazi pigs" seems really awkward; I know he would insult Nazis, that's not the issue, but his choice of words seems really tame. It's usually a lot more colourful.

He was probably just hanging out with the commies a bit too much at that point in the campaign or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

You've arguably killed about as many Soviets in games as nazis, especially if you count, like, the entire Red Alert series.

Really just strategy games - grand, real-time, turn-based, or otherwise - in general.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

All I remember with difficulty in TNO is the drat bridge level and having to crank down the difficulty because those big bastards would unfailingly wreck me. What the heck was the strategy there?

Popping in and out of cover with the rocket launcher, or a mini gun if you hauled one with you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

You can take the heavy MG with you in The Old Blood. Hopefully this will continue in TNC.

Given the trailers the weapon list is expanding a lot so there’s probably less of a need.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing that I didn't like about Doom 3 was the flashlight stuff. Even back then I got what they were going for with it but I still basically thought of it as the game telling me "Okay, you can either see things or you can do the fun thing." The fun thing being shooting demons. One flashlight mod (or as the one I used was called, "duct tape" mod) later and I enjoyed it a lot. Obviously it wasn't dark all the time but they still really wanted to show off that lighting.

I recall there was even a flashlight mod that split the difference and allowed you to turn it on when you were using the "standard" weapons like the pistol, machine gun, and shotgun but disabled it when you wanted to use the heavier stuff. I remember thinking that was a good compromise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know when GMG is sending out their keys? Kinda thought they'd do it by now.

Unless Steam has a pre-load available I'm betting you're going to get them on release date.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's... something. I don't know enough about stuff to call a piece of media part of the "[blank]-ploitation" genre but that sure seems like it'd fit somewhere in there. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

What exactly makes you think purchasing this game makes me angry?

Probably posts like this:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

What exactly makes you think purchasing this game makes me angry? You are welcome to spend every last dime you have to your name buying copies of this game and I really won't give a poo poo - in fact, I'd look forward to the additional sequels the overwhelming interest would spur, if anything.

From the way it sounds it's not like you're going to be alive long enough to enjoy the money anyway. May as well spend it now if it makes you that happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you think that TNO has too many cutscenes you have an incredibly low tolerance for cutscenes.