Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pureauthor posted:

ka-kin ka-ching

Edit: Although on the flipside if you're already going to whale that loving hard, who the hell could you conceivably still need to buy?

For that much money he could have bought considerable stock in the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pureauthor posted:

ka-kin ka-ching

Edit: Although on the flipside if you're already going to whale that loving hard, who the hell could you conceivably still need to buy?

You'll have to forgive any mistakes here because I'm a dumb liberal arts major, but I believe that on average, it would take 500 spins of the Gacha to get 5x of a 5* Servant (assuming you were cursed to only draw a particular 5*). This would cost $880 dollars using the most cost-efficient purchase in the store. And that just gives you the opportunity to start acquiring Blank Saint Graphs. Again, assuming you were cursed to only draw a particular 5*, getting 91 BSG after this point would take 9,100 rolls on average, or 27,300 Saint Quartz, or $15,600 dollars. You could buy a loving car.

In real terms it would naturally take much more than that, since your odds of drawing any particular 5* Servant are only 1/5. You'd inevitably max out most of your 5* Servants before you really started getting Blank Saint Graphs in sizeable numbers. And this is from the JPN server, where there are many more 5* Servants than on NA--your odds of drawing duplicates of a Servant you already have 5 duplicates of are much lower there. We're talking down payment on a house, here.

At least you can say this is the worst it can possibly get--

:shepface:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MotU posted:

What's the best daily/route to getting the 2nd Ascension on my Vlad?

Can't be done. You can get one of the reverse scales from Fafnir during Orleans, but the only other drops are in Babylonia and in the daily quests we don't have yet.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MotU posted:

oh, cirnopedia said it dropped from the Friday materials daily advanced, welpo

Right, forgot about that guy. He'll do.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Compendium posted:

I truly forget how many people don't know CCC until they react to Andersen.

They're gonna release the translation patch aaaaany second now. Just have to be patient...

How many years did that dickhead fan group putz around with Fate/Hollow, only to have some rando guy come in and translate the whole thing under their noses in a couple of months? That was pretty amazing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why did I blow all my quartz on Gil when I already have Emiya...?

Why am I considering opening my wallet for a F2P gacha game...?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tae posted:

Fate/Zero makes Stay/Night really idealistic and kiddy-pool. Zero and the new anime goes into what actually happens when adults are very willing to kill each other.

Specifically, the reason Stay/Night's Masters are such a mishmash is that, after the genocidal clusterfuck of Zero, very few real magi are ready to risk it.

Definitely read Stay/Night before watching Zero though. It spoils a lot of Stay/Night, as you would expect from a prequel, but it also expects viewers to know a few key worldbuilding points from Stay/Night.

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Robin Hood in the friend gacha? I want him

He is, but 3* are never as common as you would like. I'm still missing Ushi, for instance.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I think Kiritsugu is interesting at first but it becomes dry.

Waver and Iskander are basically carrying the whole thing on their backs but I feel for the Matou guy.

Zero is mostly nice because of the fighting scenes.

I thought Saber and Kotomine had interesting arcs, but I was big fans of both characters to begin with.

Kiritsugu starts out dry and then becomes interesting IMO.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Psiwri posted:

Keep in mind that Herc isn't actually that great at this progress point in the game due to having the worst stat curve possible with reverse S.

This is pretty laughable, Herc is unbelievably good and will steamroll all story content currently available and then some. Even before you ascend him and he gets his bullshit dodge skill.

The fact that they haven't made another Carnival Phantasm yet is some kind of war crime.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

the_steve posted:

I've literally only ever seen Fate Zero. I really need to watch FSN and these spinoffs.

Read the actual VN. Yeah it's long and it has many, many :words: but none of the anime adaptations really capture it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Also no anime adaptation has Heaven's Feel.

Yeah, that too. The routes are thematic and build off of each other, so watching UBW without following it up with Heaven's Feel leaves you with a much different impression.

There isn't a good adaptation of Fate either, which is the end of Saber's story from Fate/Zero.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rio posted:

You probably know this but there will be very soon since the movie is going to be released this year.

Fake edit: movie trilogy, that is.

I'm not sure they're going to be able to do it justice.

Though if UFOtable can't do it, no one can.

rio posted:

I was going to play it and then got really sick. The only time I watch anime is when I am stuck in bed sick and that time it was a long one so I watched both UBW and Zero - after that, and hearing that Heaven's Feel would be released, I figured that I would skip it too since I knew too much of the plot to have it be as interesting - like I'm sure the plot twists are awesome playing the game blind but knowing what I did already, playing a game with no gameplay and knowing a lot of what would happen just wasn't appealing

Never watch Zero first, it just spoils too drat much.

e: No one is ever gonna get to enjoy the first twist in Fate ever again. "Wait, she WASN'T Joan of Arc??" :eyepop:

Gilles mistaking Saber for Jeanne in Fate/Zero was a reference to this BTW, before the game came out all the speculation agreed that that is who she was.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 9, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tired Moritz posted:

this game really wants me to use Kiyohime.

I don't really need 3 of them but thanks I guess.

You can use the duplicates to power up her Noble Phantasm.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rio posted:

I have three notable zerkers at the moment - Herc, Tamocat and Lancelot. I assume that long term Herc is the best but between the other two who is better? I have Tamo and Herc at 40 waiting to be awakened and I left Lancelot behind in the early 20's because he seemed underwhelming but maybe I am missing something.

Also I tried rerolling on my iPad it is quick and easy to get 2 30 gem summons but poo poo, if I actually got a 5 star I would have a tough decision to make because my current game is in Rome, has several 4 star characters and a pretty good amount of time put in. But Gilgamesh is very cool and a favorite of mine from the series - how much better are the 5 star characters than the 4 stars? I remember reading that you can use any star level characters to progress, but is that true long term? I am just wondering since they are giving away the 45 free gems from event right now so rerolling is essentially twice as fast while this is going on. I should have thought of this before investing time into my first roll (which had Tamocat and based on the guide seemed ok) and now that I have some other 4 star characters I am not sure what to do

If you haven't invested any money at all yet and you're only in Rome, I'd reroll until you get at least one 5*. Especially if you like one of them (like Gil). After this month they will stop giving away free gems to new accounts, so this is pretty much the only time to reroll.

Also, people are giving away 5* accounts on Reddit/4chan still because people are holding out for Waver+Gilgamesh.

Lancelot's gimmick is that he has great synergy with crit-based teams, especially with (amusingly) Gilgamesh. His first skill increases the chances of his cards getting crit stars, so if the rest of the team is generating stars for him he can poo poo out massive damage. His NP is also Quick-based, is AOE and absolutely drenches the team in Crit stars if combined with his second skill. You can get over 50 stars with an NP and two Gil Quicks, which means every one of your cards has 100% chance to crit next turn. It's cuh-razy.

But he's Berserker squishy and doesn't have Herc's Evade or his special Bond CE that gives him Guts, so he isn't 100% reliable.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 12, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NRVNQSR posted:

Couldn't the final fight technically drop a Void Dust instead? I admit I've never definitely seen that, though.

No, void dust only drops from the Shadow Servants.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NRVNQSR posted:

Better outfit because how could anything be worse

I'm weirdly partial to the big blue bodysuit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really liked the Interludes in general. The only ones I have left are the ones requiring lvl 2 Ascensions (Hercules, Emiya, Stheno).

REGEND*OF*THE*SAMURAI

I feel like Assassins and Berserkers get the best interludes. Stheno, Lancelot, Hassan and LEGEND are my favorites so far.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Altera's 2nd interlude probably won't be in for a while, since the servants in it haven't been released yet.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Guess I'll use my Summon Ticket...It's a Servant...oh, it's an Archer...Holy fuckin' poo poo, it's gold!...Oh, it's Atalanta.

This is a truly evil gacha.

Meanwhile, in Whale Hell:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If any of you want to reroll (or start playing), now is your :siren: LAST BEST CHANCE :siren: to do so.

According to the latest news post, Aniplex messed up the dates listed for the free 4* Servant event on their Facebook page. They're going to hand out tickets again starting the 20th for those that never received one as an apology.

This means you can roll up an account with Gilgamesh and/or Waver (or whatever 5* waifu strikes your fancy) and still get that sweet free 4* Heracles/Emiya/Waifu. Gil is going away on the 20th so you need to start now if you want him.

Pureauthor posted:

AFAIK it just checks the ten rolls you make and if none of them hit 4* status is just converts a card to a 4* CE. So no, the chance to roll a rateup Servant is pretty much the same.

The consolation prize can be a 4* Servant too, it's just 4 times more likely to be a CE due to the relative rates (3% chance for a Servant, 12% chance for a CE).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bad Seafood posted:

Is there any point to upgrading CEs other than increasing the amount of attack or hit points they give the equipped servant?

Also if this game gives me one more Azoth Blade I'm gonna use it to destroy the Grail.

If you feed a CE a copy of itself its max level increases, do that four times and its base effect improves. This can make some 3* CEs actually decent, like Dragon Meridian (you start with 50% NP instead of 30%) or Grimoire.

That's it really. Although the stat boosts from a max-level 5* CE can be considerable, so its worth upgrading them. A max-level Kaleidoscope boosts Attack by 2,000 points. (You will never get a max-level Kaleidoscope)

Azoth Blade and Black Keys will always suck. Their only use is to feed other CEs or be burned for Prisms.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neopie posted:

Tried to get gil, got Altera instead, Any good? Who's she go with?

the Hun, so as not to be confused with all the other similar names

She's got very high stats and she plays well as a damage-dealer on just about any team. Her NP is an AOE Buster, but unlike Altria it's still useful for bosses because it applies a -DEF debuff as well. She can boost the parties' NP damage which is situationally very useful, and she's got a self-heal and a self-buff skill. She even gets an interlude that buffs her second skill to increase Crit Star absorption, which makes her even stronger on teams that generate a lot of stars.

There's almost no way to play her wrong apart from sending her against a horde of Archers.

Also she's Chaotic Good and will not rest until the bad civilizations are gone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Endorph posted:

He might have been a developer or translator or something. I know a lot of the dev team on JP have infinite quartz (and I think some of the voice actors?)

Gilgamesh' VA dropped 1,000 buckaroos trying to get Gilgamesh...and failed.

Then he formed a contract with Rin's VA friended her because she did have him. Apparently after rerolling on four devices simultaneously.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you have Lancelot, try putting him as your favorite in My Room.

Dislikes: "ARTHURRRRRRR!!!"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tired Moritz posted:

loving archer is a four star while Nero and Tamamo is five stars. Sexism.

"Archer is actually kind of a low-tier Servant" vs. "Archer is the strongest Servant imaginable" is a battle that has been raging since 2007, with no end in sight.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kay Kessler posted:

Waver, problem solved.

WANA DA! WANA DA! MUDA DA! KEIRYAKU DA! WANA DA!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

the_steve posted:

Which is even funnier since Lancer is his favorite class.

They make a point in the original VN that he's a lot stronger when he isn't fighting one-on-one duels to the death. His skillset is actually more suited for more prolonged hit-and-run battles, but he really enjoys one-on-one duels. So that's what he does.

Having the lance sealed actually forces him to play more to his strengths, his whining nonwithstanding.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 24, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tsurupettan posted:

Altera is the best and I'm glad I chose based on my interests and not the OP saying she sucked. :black101: The last wave is just a :killdozer: of NP spam from Altera, Liz and whatever useful support I have available.

The OP Servant analysis is based on the Japanese game which is two years ahead and full of powercreep.

Altera is head-and-shoulders the best Saber currently in the game and the only two arguably better than her are both in limited rateups.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
She already has her sprite/animation update in NA. The original looked like this:

You can tell she's an alien because her hand is fused with the swords' guard instead of holding it by the grip. What a product this poo poo was at release.

Now she's like this:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 25, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bad Seafood posted:

I looked it up and the limit break for Nightless Rose seems pretty lackluster, unless I'm reading the card wrong.

Seems like you'd do better to just have five so that's potentially five different servants with guts at once, if that's your thing.

The reason to limit break it is for the added stats. 2k HP at max level isn't gamebreaking but it's nothing to sneeze at, especially since you're probably putting it on someone with survivability issues.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

My reaction every time I roll:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Waver is so ludicrously powerful and useful at Ascension 3, my god. That third skill really makes a world of difference. And you don't even need your own copy since everybody and their mom has him.

...I sneaked a look at Merlin and :vince: 'd out of my chair. How did they let a character so broken make it in? The old joke that he was the author's self-insert has reached critical mass.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There's no one who can answer that because the NA server is running things differently than in Japan.

The holiday that event is supposed to mark doesn't happen till September but I doubt we'll wait that long.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
https://twitter.com/akinashi_yu/status/891107824461152260

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I limit broke Nightless Rose from event drops :stare:

But no Phoenix Plumes and no Nero in the gacha.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Throne of Heroes and Heroic Spirits are a naturally-occurring phenomenon that sometimes get used for various purposes. The Earth (aka Gaia, or Alaya) uses whatever Heroic Spirits it can as Counter-Guardians to protect itself against the depredations of humanity, but the Earth doesn't run the Throne of Heroes or anything. That being said, most of the heroes in the Throne are human spirits. If the Earth summons them to defend it against an outside threat, they'd probably respond.

Emiya's situation is complicated. He apparently struck a deal with the Earth where the Earth would lend him the power of the Counter-Force (an energy source borne of humanities will to avoid extinction) to stop a potentially world-ending catastrophe (a nuclear meltdown). Stopping the meltdown got him recognized as a true hero, which meant he would enter the Throne and then become a Counter-Guardian for Alaya after death.

A lot of the confusion regarding Heroic Spirits is intentional. They explain Heroic Spirits like three or four times in Fate/Stay Night and each time the explanation changes because all the original creators of the Grail are dead and/or crazy, and the only sane mage in the series is a goof who got all of her information secondhand.

Mages not knowing what is up while meddling with stuff wayyyyy above their paygrade is a running theme in the Nasuverse.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
To add, one of the enduring rules of the Nasuverse is that power makes its own rules.

I haven't spoiled myself on the story but I'm guessing Chaldea and (YourName) are being juiced by something big, maybe its own Greater Grail, to be able to let it break the rules so flagrantly.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They actually did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3JLUO9Urs

They actually went and did it

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Marogareh posted:

Seems pretty decent to me if you put it on Arash and build around it.

Team DOUBLE TAP: Arash/Jeanne/Waver or some other NP-gain-booster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It seems the main scenario writer for Orleans and Septem was the same guy that wrote Apocrypha, to my absolute lack of surprise.