Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Freak +2 | Danger +1 | Trouble -1 | Superior +1 | Menace +0
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: In The Sky, Close to White Wolf

Ah! There she was.

Coatl flapped his wings hard, pushing himself through the sky towards his target. "Yo!" He roared over the city, "White Wolf!" He raised a hand and waved at her.

As he approached and entered into a parallel flight path with White Wolf, he slowed his wings and lowered his voice a bit. But just a bit, "Been looking for you all day!" That wasn't a lie. "Thanks for inviting me to ramen. Really sorry I couldn't make it, but, I had some stuff to do with Rides. You know, follow up that whole thing in the warehouse." Behind Coatl, his wings moved smoothly up and down. They were giant, the wingspan of an airplane, not a bird, and they're immense frame kept the young God afloat without much effort. "Fluffy came to ramen, right? She doing well?"

Alright, boring chat about teammates - over. Now to get to the real meat of what he wanted to talk about, "Anyways. Since you said in your text that you thought I was onto something with the whole 'Find A New Base' plan -- which, you know, Fluffy's plan is interesting, but it's not actually going to get us better stuff -- I was thinking that, you know, maybe..." his wings flapped a little harder, pushing him an extra inch up, "It's like, I only proposed the Embassy because it's what I'd heard about, but I'm sure there's better digs in the city." This was where he had to really sell it. Time for your poker face, Quetzalcoatl, "So since I know I have your support, maybe we could go around town sometime and scope out good potential bases." There was a heartbeat-length pause, "Just the two of us?"

To his credit, Coatl's face remained fairly normal. Behind him, though, his wings flared and spilled chromatic rainbow light all over the city below.

quote:

When you meddle in the plots of others… you learn quickly the hard way that you’ve got a lot to learn about keeping a low profile. Ask them what kind of complication you suffer due to this, and what you still have to learn. If you follow this lesson, take +1 forward to do so, and mark Curses!

Finally glancing down, Coatl realized where they were, "Oh, this the toy factory." He looked back up to White Wolf, "What're you doing here?"

Scrree fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Trouble +2 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: In The Sky, Close to Coatl

The surveillance is going well. I've already identified the optimal entry route based on a careful analysis of the visible security systems, establish paths of travel, and density of personnel. It's going so well, in fact, that I should have time enough to scout for- A sudden blast of wind sends me spiraling through the air, a few frantic moments of flapping getting me back to an easy glide. I spin around and... What's Coatl doing here? And holy poo poo, he's making this entire airspace look like someone's throwing a sweet rave party. I mean, it's beautiful. He's- Nevermind. Yeah, I don't think that additional recon is going to happen anytime soon.

I look over at him, trying to focus on his words as he talks. It's not a bad idea. Like I said, I do think we need a real base of operations. Not that I have any room to talk, I guess. My warehouse full of kotengu is pretty much on the same level as his warehouse full of cultists. I guess mine doesn't have a hole in the roof, so there is that. I open my mouth to answer and abruptly close it. From one of the towers dotting the factory's lot, I see a trio of small objects rapidly approaching us. They're spewing hot smoke and fire behind them, which means...

Coatl's show of divine splendor has attracted the wrath of... Surface-to-air missiles? Yikes!

I bark, "Watch out! Missiles incoming!" Coatl's gargantuan wingspan is really impressive, don't get me wrong. But when it comes to maneuverability and speed? It's fair to say I have a little bit of an edge. Faster than he can react, I swoop around him and line up between the young god and the incoming munitions. I bare my trusted blade, the red metal glimmering with the same rainbow display that betrayed our presence, and strike. In an instant, the red fang strikes true and the missiles scatter into pieces that fall back to the earth below.

I wave at him to follow as I lead us on a winding course through the city and away from the now-alerted factory. As the facility recedes into the distance and we have a moment to breathe without the threat of heavy weapons, I sigh and meet his gaze, "Hey, uh, Coatl? I appreciate you checking in. It sounds like a great plan and all, but we've got to keep a low profile. Your whole divine splendor thing is amazing, but if you could save it for when we're in the thick of things..."

WW tells Coatl to save the Divine Presence until the action starts! +1 forward and Curses! if he heeds that advice.

I pause thoughtfully. It... could be that I was expecting too much from him. He wasn't a trained infiltrator like I was, after all. If I could communicate some of my wisdom to him... Well, that would be helpful. Perhaps not for this assignment, but surely the next! "Tell you what. Things are going to be too hot at the factory for any more scouting today, so why don't I show you a few tricks? We can check out some of those sites you mentioned at the same time, so..." Yes. This was going to be a completely and utterly professional outing. Between the two of us. And his goddamn gorgeous wings. Gods! They were gigantic! You might mistake the red on my face for the slightest hint of a blush. That would be incorrect. It's merely cast by Coatl's wings- wait, when did they stop with the light show?

quote:

When others meddle in your plots… decide whether you slack off or focus. If you focus and get it done as a team, add Plan to the pool. If you slack off together and ease off, they can choose to give you Influence over them to clear one of their conditions.

In addition, White Wolf gives Coatl Influence for being beautiful a snek god holy poo poo those wings a valued and useful member of the team.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 2, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Freak +2 | Danger +1 | Trouble -1 | Superior +1 | Menace +0
Curses! 3/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None!, +1 Forward to Showing Off Divine Splendor, But Only When It Matters! | Location: In The Sky, Close to White Wolf |
Mood Music! (Click Fast, Copyright Coyotes might take it soon)

If it was anyone else but her, Coatl would've quit a long time ago.

Constraining his divine splendor required a certain... mindfulness that not only had he never tried to achieve, but nobody in his life had even attempted to teach him. Who knew it could be so hard to be mundane?

Especially with White Wolf around! It was so frustrating; all he wanted to do was to shine, to preen, to dazzle her with his glow. But all she was telling him was not to do that! To told it in, pin it down, until it was really needed.

It drove him crazy. The way White Wolf could sneak under his wings and do a full rotation around him in seconds; that also drove him crazy. As she twirled above him, one of her feathers molted. Coatl caught it in his hand. A smooth, onyx blackness.

His wings started to sparkle with rainbow light.

Coatl took a deep breath,

and

held it

and

exhaled. His wing's stopped glowing. He turned his palm over, letting the feather drop to the ground, and flapped up to White Wolf's level. "There was a place over there," he pointed, "That might be something to look at." And off they went.

He was having a pretty good time.

White Wolf Takes Influence on Coatl. Marking Curses; and holding a +1 Forward for when Coatl REALLY needs to show off.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 2, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Trouble +2 | Superior +0 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: In The Sky, Very Close to Coatl

If there's one thing I've learned from my time leading a squad, it's that you need to appreciate hard work and make that appreciation known. I can tell Coatl is putting in the effort. If his light show is just sort of a thing that naturally happens, then the fact he's been able to keep it down to occasional sparkles is a huge improvement. And with the way he keeps sneaking glances at me when he thinks I'm not looking? I think he'd be well pleased with a clear display of good will and pride towards his progress.

As we soar over one of the last sites that Coatl wanted to check out, I spiral around his magnificent wings and, for a few moments, we fly eye-to-eye. I smile at him, "You're a quick study, Coatl!" I draw closer, the distance between us fluctuating as our wings beat. "I wouldn't mind doing this again some time." A brief pause. "Flying with you, that is."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak +1 | Danger +0 | Trouble +1 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: Not going on awkward dates

At the Ramen Shop

"Huh? Oh... Oh! Yea! Parties! I know lots about them, nyah!" I've actually never been to a single party in my entire life. Not even birthday parties, but I can't let them know that! "That's me! A regular ol' party cat!"

Ahhhhhh, what do I do!? I don't know a single thing about parties! Wait! Maybe I can ask my boss for help! He'll know what to do... I hope.

At Goro Daisuke's office

"...And that's what they're planning to do, sir."

"Hmmmmmm, I see. So they're planning to have a party, huh?"

"Yes, sir. If it's no problem with you, sir, I was hoping you could help us run the event," I bow slightly, "I hope you don't mind me asking for your help, sir."

"Hmmm..." Goro-san closes his eyes, and taps his chin, looking like he's deep in thought, until he suddenly jumps out of his chair, and yells out, "I'll do it! I'll help!"

"You will!?"

"Yes! We can't let those children down, now can we!? I'll secure the venue, and use my contacts to spread the word! We're going to give those children a party they'll never forget!"

"Goro-san...!" I bow down again, this time more deeply, "Thank you so much!!!"

"And do you know what every party needs? A bounce castle!""

"...Sir, can we even afford a bounce castle?"

"We can with all emergency money I gave you!"

"What!? But sir, the emergency money is for... well... emergencies!"

"Yes, and what's a bigger emergency than getting a bounce castle!?"

"But- but- but...!"

"Hana."

"Bounce Castles."

"...Yes, sir," I say, with a defeated look on my face, "Bounce castles, sir."

quote:

@Jinx (Hugzilla): 2d6+3 Jinx is Executing Plan: Spread the Word! (+1 from money asset) = (2+4)+3 = 9

Executing Get the word out on the street! Choosing to exhaust my suitcase of cash asset!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Freak +1 | Danger -1 | Trouble +0 | Superior +2 | Menace +1
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry | Location: Todai Co. Toy Factory | Holding: 2 Cards

Baited. I had been baited. Me. By White Wolf. I realized it only too late, and far after I should have. But I was distracted, lost in my thoughts, and perhaps more concerned than I should have been with filling my stomach. The ramen was, admittedly, better than expected. White Wolf knew her locales, that could not be denied. Even so, the fact that I had gone along with this absurd plan so easily and willingly was shameful on a number of levels. Was I that starved for glamour and attention? Yes. Yes, I really was, in all honesty. More than indignation, or anger, I was embarrassed. Embarrassed that I was seen through so seamlessly, and embarrassed that I hadn’t realized. No matter. Embarrassment aside, I was a professional. I may have been tricked into going along with this nonsense, but that didn’t mean I would sabotage the affair, unlike some.

Of course, just because I was serious about trying, that didn’t mean my mind was in the right place either. Mentally, I was all over the place. And when I was a chaotic mess, so too was my control over my lesser kin. They were to scout ahead, infiltrate the facility, and spin a few webs around the walls to let them know just who was coming. A far more obvious and direct ploy than I generally did, but I was not quite in the right mood for subtleties. I also wasn’t in the right mood to have them spell correctly either, it seemed. No matter, no matter. Waevr was… close enough? Closer than Rides-At-Midnight somehow coming out as “Rid-Mid,” anyways. And I wasn’t even going to begin on the atrocity Quetzacoatl turned out to be...

quote:

Weaver (TheFireMagi)-Today at 11:28 AM
/roll 2d6+2 #Weaver shows her beautiful hand!
SidekickBOT-Today at 11:28 AM
@Weaver (TheFireMagi): 2d6+2 Weaver shows her beautiful hand! = (1+1)+2 = 4

• Locked thread