Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Chimera-gui posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up but BotW is arguably the most DnD campaign friendly LoZ game.

Like you potentially have at least seven playable races (Hylians, Sheikah, Koroks, Gorons, Zora, Rito, and Gerudo). The fact that five of those seven have their own Champions implies that in a more MMORPG type game like World of Warcraft or Dragon Quest XX, at least those five would be playable.

Then you mechanics that would be in a MMO like the cooking system. I've heard folks describe playing BotW as being like playing DnD with a drunk GM.

I would play the gently caress out of a Legend of Zelda inspired DnD-like.
Not even kidding, that sounds like it would be legitimately fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zebrin posted:

Ditto. I think that would have some serious potential.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Zebrin posted:

Same, Hell you could probably rename a few of the races and it'd work nicely, like maybe a pixie for Koroks? :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I already know a potential ability for Koroks (who could be the sneaky race).

You Found Me: When detected by an enemy humanoid, get one free attack of opportunity which counts as a surprise attack.

Edit: so basically this:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Miz Kriss posted:

I know this is rehashing an old art request, but I see Skippy as more of a divine beast kind of guy instead of a calamity.

For my money, this is even better than Calamity Granola.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zebrin posted:

Hey, here's a game about people from various races banding together to confront an evil overlord.

The one downside is that you might have to get even more creative than usual to have a Rito and a Korok both going.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Zebrin posted:

I've actually run a LoZ-themed game of D&D.

It broke up into drama when one of the players, whose boyfriend also played, decided she liked a different player more.

There's not any moral to this story.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

I've actually run a LoZ-themed game of D&D.

It broke up into drama when one of the players, whose boyfriend also played, decided she liked a different player more.

There's not any moral to this story.

Never play with couples, 90% of the time it ends like this poo poo.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Nalesh posted:

Never play with couples, 90% of the time it ends like this poo poo.

QFT

Seriously, there are more stories of dead games that start with 'One of our players brought their significant other' than there are homebrew DnD races.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Lazy Bear posted:

QFT

Seriously, there are more stories of dead games that start with 'One of our players brought their significant other' than there are homebrew DnD races.

Dead games? Hell, I've seen a married couple I knew in high school (him) and then college (both of them) that have killed a few groups before the group I'm currently with kicked him out because of his treatment of her.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

SorataYuy posted:

Dead games? Hell, I've seen a married couple I knew in high school (him) and then college (both of them) that have killed a few groups before the group I'm currently with kicked him out because of his treatment of her.

I mean, that too. But shattered groups are less common than shattered games.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

There's two easy ways to see if a marriage will last, mario party(Like Warmal is currently showing), and dnd :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And here's pretty much everything else I could be assed to sniff out from the castle. Next week is Ganon early.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What are ya'll talking about, there is an A in Hoarse :v:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but you don't get anything extra by adding more than one non temp heart item in recipes, like you did a big radish and 4 apples, wouldn't the result be the same if you did a big radish and 1 apple?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 5, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but you don't get anything extra by adding more than one non temp heart item in recipes, like you did a big radish and 4 apples, wouldn't the result be the same if you did a big radish and 1 apple?

Heck, I think if you just cook the Hearty Radish on its own you get the same result. You'd get more temp hearts by adding more radishes.

Edit: Actually I believe I'm wrong. I think adding more apples did increase the number of temp hearts.

There isn't a whole helluva lot of documentation on the many and varied combinations of food items you can cook in this game. At least, not yet.

Edit the 2nd: The "durability" number on the shields (in the case of the Hylian Shield, the 90) is actually how many points of damage it'll block without Link getting staggered and damaged anyway. The actual durability numbers aren't shown in the game, but you can find approximate numbers if you poke around on Google. Most shields in the game clock in at low double digits (between 10 and 30--the Knight's Shield is 29, for reference), and the second most durable shield you can get in normal gameplay is 60.

The Hylian Shield's durability is 800.

Even a well-used Hylian Shield can easily block a dozen Guardian lasers before it breaks. It's the closest thing in the game to being unbreakable, and if you're not trying to deflect lasers with it, it probably won't ever break.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 6, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Also of note, now that we've fought one: The Lynel's charging attack has extremely generous dodge timing because it's basically in a constant 'attacking' state during it, so quite nearly any side-dodge during it(assuming you start close enough) is a valid perfect dodge. Compare against the sword swings, which have very specific and short 'attacking' frames.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've been waiting for that rusty shield to pay off. That's got to be one of the craziest Korok puzzles. "Got a crappy shield you probably threw away? No? Feel like running all over to Guardian territory to find it?"

...also, there are five of those Sheikah pillars around the castle, aren't there?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 6, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

I've been waiting for that rusty shield to pay off. That's got to be one of the craziest Korok puzzles. "Got a crappy shield you probably threw away? No? Feel like running all over to Guardian territory to find it?"

...also, there are five of those Sheikah pillars around the castle, aren't there?

I think there's a rusty shield not too far out of your way if you don't happen to be carrying one, but yeah, you do have to go through at least one Stalker to get to it.

And yeah I think there's five pillars. Four at the corners and one directly to the north.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I was kinda expecting parrying to be as rare as it is in Geop's Dark Souls LPs, great work Thorn.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, I was kinda expecting parrying to be as rare as it is in Geop's Dark Souls LPs, great work Thorn.

While strictly not necessary, it's a lot more useful and useable than Dark Souls. And, as mentioned a couple of times, really the only economical way to take down a Guardian.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I tried chipping away at a guardian with bombs once. It went as well as you'd expect.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Ohgod don't remind me, I spent 5 minutes doing that to one of the ones in the starting area.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
In the Sheikah Bomb Plants agreement the Sheikah were able to nail down 'an infinite supply' and 'round and cube shapes' on their end of the agreement. They had to give up 'actually hurting anything' to the Bomb Plants who also managed to get monopoly on Bomb Arrow rights.

This is what remains of that agreement when both parties have become virtually extinct.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I always thought the rune bombs were meant to be concussive and the bomb arrows were meant to be explosive. That's why chucking a rune bomb at an enemy mostly sends them flying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

While strictly not necessary, it's a lot more useful and useable than Dark Souls. And, as mentioned a couple of times, really the only economical way to take down a Guardian.

Oh, oops. I didn't mean all parrying. Just laser parrying.

Also, am I right in assuming that, no matter how many lightning arrows you shoot at them, Lynels will never drop their weapons?

Miz Kriss posted:

I tried chipping away at a guardian with bombs once. It went as well as you'd expect.

Gonna be real annoying if you can't upgrade those and your elemental arrows, with how much health the last tier of enemies have.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RareAcumen posted:

Gonna be real annoying if you can't upgrade those and your elemental arrows, with how much health the last tier of enemies have.

Yup, lynels are element-immune

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Bruceski posted:

Yup, lynels are element-immune

gently caress silver everything, but Silver Lynels made me go from appreciating getting a handle on most Lynels and looking forward to fighting them without "Just spam perfect dodges, some guy on youtube did it with a stick :jerkbag:", to just not worth the effort of giving the time of day even if you thought their weapons looked cool.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

gently caress silver everything, but Silver Lynels made me go from appreciating getting a handle on most Lynels and looking forward to fighting them without "Just spam perfect dodges, some guy on youtube did it with a stick :jerkbag:", to just not worth the effort of giving the time of day even if you thought their weapons looked cool.

I hunt down Guardian stalkers for fun at this point, but I still see a silver lynel and nope the gently caress out. They're really not worth fighting.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

>.> Not gonna lie, I legitimately have fun fighting Silver Lynels. The fact that they drop gems doesn't hurt. I mean, I know ultimately gems don't mean much, but... I dunno, shinies just tickle my lizard brain.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lazy Bear posted:

>.> Not gonna lie, I legitimately have fun fighting Silver Lynels. The fact that they drop gems doesn't hurt. I mean, I know ultimately gems don't mean much, but... I dunno, shinies just tickle my lizard brain.

Yeah I actually quite enjoy fighting them too. They provide a decent variety between perfect dodging and nailing them in the face with arrows to deal with their different attacks.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

In the main run, we escape Central Hyrule with a couple of new animal friends and learn to hate Octoroks.

In the alternate run we :siren:SPOIL EVERY BOSS:siren:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, short LP. Well done.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

The zoras that awaken something in me

...Yami, is there something you haven't shared with the class yet? o.O

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Well done, too bad the bosses aren't even palette-swapped to match their element though. At least the last two fights were cool.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
With the stupid bullshit golf treasure chest one, you gotta hit it 5 times with the hammer, then immediately hit it once with a smaller sword. Somehow they have different strengths. I don't even remember what was in the chest for it to be worth it. (And yes, I did look it up after like 20 times trying to figure it out with a friend on his game.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how you stabbed a guy when he was on fire, and then your weapon caught fire, and then presumably dealt more damage because it was on fire.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of the Zora Domain, I went to my sister's place to celebrate the birthday of my uncle who lives with her and her husband and got to play their copy of BotW on the Switch and it was at the Domain. I went to the top of the nearby mountain to take a picture of a Lynel.

First attempt I climbed on top of a rock thinking I'd be safe, couldn't figure out which button was the camera, and got shot by two Shock Arrows which killed me. Second attempt I stayed far enough away that it didn't notice me, was able to go into camera mode but had to figure out how to zoom in, got the picture, and finally ran the gently caress away from that drat murder-beast before it could notice me or at the very least before it could do anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope there are more opportunities to have people fighting with you that don't require you to have an Amiibo.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

For what it's worth The Tempered Power shrine is worth a Giant Ancient Core if you get the second chest. Like you said it's absolutely not worth it. Quite frankly nothing less than a full Heart Container or Stamina Vessel would be worth the obnoxiousness of that shrine in my book.

Edit: Oh god the next couple of episodes will be magical, if only because of Yami :allears:

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You can take ball off the platform and move further back. It makes it super easy.

No one ever thinks about moving it backwards.

• Locked thread