Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

All images in this LP will include stupid filename jokes, because SomethingAwful still doesn't support images with alt-text. This is how I spend my free time. :shepicide:

What is Digimon?
Let's pretend you live under a rock or in some obscure part of Europe, or are allergic to The Animes and would actually need to ask this question. Digimon is short for Digital Monsters, and they were basically designed as 'Tamagotchi for boys'. You got a little electronic keychain with a shapeless blob that would eat and poop all day and eventually turn into something stronger. (Theoretically, anyways. All I ever got was the slug.) This got an anime, and video games, and invested in as a competitor to Pokemon in the States, and eventually exploded into a whole giant thing.

Now, the franchise is 20 years old and still going strong.

And what's Digimon World?
Digimon World is a series of Digimon RPGs, a cult classic that tried to merge Digimon-raising with RPG combat. Every sequel after that changed the mechanics in some major way, and sometimes even the whole game genre. Some did well, some did poorly, but you'll find fans of almost all of them without looking too hard.

And then Digimon Story happened. Released on the Nintendo DS, and localized with the Digimon World name outside of Japan, Story gave the series got what every monster raising game needs: portability. Now, you can make your midget t-rex fight an anthropomorphic poo poo while taking a regular one. The reception immediately jumped from "why not just play Monster Rancher?" to "yeah, actually, this is pretty ok". Still not as popular as Pokemon, but nothing ever will be.

And this is the sequel to that?
Yes. Well, one of them. Digimon World DS 2 was released as two different versions of the same game, because nerds will buy the exact same thing twice if it means collecting those three or four pretend monsters that they don't have yet. (See: Every Pokemon game ever.) The one we'll be playing is Digimon World: Dawn, which has the lion-furry Coronamon. If I'd decided to play Dusk instead, we'd get suupa kawaii moon princess desu Lunamon. Because of the type weaknesses of some of the plot enemies, Dawn tends to be significantly easier, so that's the one I'm playing.

Why are you playing it?
Because I hate myself. I give this game a lot of crap. A lot of crap. Mostly for comedic effect, but many of my overdramatic complaints do have a genuine criticism at the core. Digimon World: Dawn is grindy, it's cliche, the level design is at best confusing, at worst deliberately obtuse, and the difficulty 'curve' is more of a series of plateaus. And yet...

For all its flaws, at times, this game can be pretty fun. The system for raising and training mons so complex that the raising-guide on GameFaqs is larger than all the walkthroughs for the game combined, and it's still only mostly complete. That's really where this game shines, and where the glimmers of brilliance show through.

Doesn't mean I won't be bitching about the parts that don't, though! :pseudo:

Why no audience participation?
Last time I tried to LP this game, I held formal votes about who to keep in the party in almost every section, and it added even more busywork to an already-grindy game. This time, for the sake of my sanity, I'll be making choices based on power and ease of training, while still keeping a decent variety of Digimon. However, I'll be keeping my fingers on the pulse of the thread, and any suggestions that come up that strike my particular fancy may end up influencing who I use.

Spoiler Policy
Some of my plans may be obvious for anyone who's kept up on their Digimon knowledge (or went wandering through the wiki I'll hotlink to a few times per update). I'd ask that you keep any specific team predictions to a minimum. If I use Agumon, it's not too much of a stretch to guess that I'll use Greymon, but try not to spoil anything I seem to be trying to keep a surprise, because that usually means that I am.

:siren::siren:No anime derails. :siren::siren:
It doesn't matter how innocently and on-topic it starts, every discussion of the Digimon anime ever turns into a slapfight about which seasons of a children's television show poo poo on your grandmother's grave because they changed things from when you watched it. Feel free to discuss other games, or the keychains, or whatever. Just not the anime. That's what the actual Digimon thread is for.

Addendum: This includes the movies.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Current Update Schedule
I have something of a backlog prepared, so these first few updates will come quickly. After that, we will be on a weekly update schedule, with new updates dropping every Sunday.

Updates

Other Content

Fighting Evil By Moonlight by Kurui Reiten
Intro Differences - This is the only one that will be this big.

Fanart

Relevant Links
Let's Play Digimon World by Orange Fluffy Sheep
Let's Play Digimon World 2 by KariOhki
Let's Play Digimon World 3 by GeneralYeti (Ongoing)
Let's Play Digimon World 4 by GeneralYeti
Digimon Wiki
Digimon World: Dawn: Digimon Guide by ZephyrantesKai

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 16, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Full disclosure: These first two updates, and the first half of the third, are almost entirely recycled from the old LP. This includes the filename jokes.

No surprises on the main menu. Wi-fi Connection allows you to trade eggs or battle with anyone else who's unfortunate enough to still be playing this game. Back is there in case, presumably, you realize what you're in for and want to get out while you can.

As tempting as it would be to make a female character and name her "Dawn", I think I have a bit more class than that.

:smugbert:

And here, we're asked to choose our set of starting Digimon. Each pack includes two high-level, powerful mons, and our conspicuously unevolved signature Rookie. No points for guessing which one will be sticking around as-is.

I choose the Balance Pack, because we'll want an Agumon as early as possible if we're ever going to meet the utterly absurd requirements for Omnimon. (This will probably never happen.)

Also, it's the only pack with two Ultimates, but that will matter for precisely one update.

Not only does our name have a five-character limit, but each of our mons is capped at eight. Because :japan:.

Coronamon gets the incredibly awesome and not at all obvious name Leo.

The other two come surprisingly easy.

Credit where credit is due, the music is pretty good.

We start the game with the tried and true JRPG protagonist tradition of being late. The kid with the bowl cut is Pulsa, one of our team members who starts off about as relevant and helpful as Krillin and gets worse from there. This will be a running theme.

The last time I LPed this game, I recorded every single line religiously. Word for word, typo for typo. I hope you don't mind if I give you the Cliff Notes version this time. If you do mind, then you're welcome to copy it all down yourself, and I'll happily add it back into the updates.

(This is not a facetious offer. If for some reason you either have access to or the sheer free time to recreate the game script, I wouldn't mind getting a hold of it.)

Pulsa fishes something out of his back pocket, and the top screen shows a pair of single-sprite Digimon moving back in forth in a dramatic, gripping battle that sets the tone of the game to come. The bottom screen spans up to a Megaman Battle Network completely original digital teleporter where we warp in.

Pulsa chides us for being late to the Group B Tournament, where we're representing Team Light Fang. Our rivals, Team Night Crow, have been kicking the everloving poo poo out of us, lead by someone named Sayo.

:japan: Trivia: Due to the peculiarities of how Japanese spells other languages' words, 'Crow' and 'Claw' are homonyms. It's probably supposed to be "Night Claw" to match "Light Fang", but the translation says "Crow", so we'll go with that.

Sayo is the female Player Character in Dusk, and were we playing that, we'd be trading places with the character we're playing now, whose canon name is Koh. Considering that we'd get at most one "Avatar: The Last Airbender" joke, and one "Give me your face" joke out of that before it got old, I think I made the right decision.

We turn with Pulsa to watch the top screen a big monitor overhead, and observe the fight, which has not changed from the same single-sprite back and forth since the conversation started. Exclamation points above our and Pulsa's heads! It looks like Monodramon has got Kokuwamon on the ropes! Piccolo is holding his own against Frieza!

Oh, wait, no, never mind, for the first of many, many, many times, the rest of our team is completely useless. People cheer, Pulsa's dialogue boxes open and close in weird places for seemingly no reason, good times all around.

We're then given the illusion of control, where we can walk around and talk to random NPCs, most of whom have nothing interesting to say. A few mentions are made of our leader, Glare, his partner Ophanimon, and Julia, leader of Night Crow, partnered with ChaosGallantmon.

Our three Digimon follow us around as we move, which is kind of cool. You may have noticed that every NPC has the same kind of sprite as our party. That's because if you can see a Digimon in the game, you can theoretically get one and add it to your party.

I say theoretically, because, for example, BantyoLeomon requires fusing two Ultimates, Grapleomon and Pandamon. Pandamon can only be obtained by fusing two Champions, Frigimon and MudFrigimon, but MudFrigimon can only be gotten from the Magnetic Quarry, a Dusk-exclusive zone, which means transfering over an egg that might contain MudFrigimon, and that's not even getting into the Species EXP and stat requirements and aaaaaaugh :psyboom:

Blossomon here mentions that even low-stage Digimon can beat higher-stage ones, depending on the trainer, and he's... half-right, I guess. Baby Digimon (who aren't represented because they are almost completely incapable of combat) turn into In-Training, who turn into Rookies, who turn into Champions, who turn into Ultimates, who turn into Megas. A higher stage means higher level caps, and base stats, as well as more powerful attacks.

This can, however, be circumvented by, you guessed it, grinding. I won't go into the details just yet, but the trick is to get a mon up to the level cap, devolve it to the previous stage, then evolve it again, and max it out again, for a net gain in stats. So, if you're really, really attached to a certain mon, there is a (horrible, soul-crushing way) to make it stick around for a while longer, at least. Their level cap even rises slightly each time!

:japan: Trivia: If I were properly translating the Japanese terms, those stages would be "Baby 1, Baby 2, Child, Adult, Perfect, and Ultimate". These names are much more befitting of the symbolism, as Digimon partners changing from Children to Adults serves as a perfect metaphor for the characters growing as people and ahahaha no I don't actually give a poo poo.

The main menu's music replaces whatever's playing for the zone, and resets said music to the beginning when you unpause, I suspect because it was easier to code that way. Just one of many reasons you will get very used to hearing the first five seconds of a song, but we'll get into that later.

I save, so I don't have to go through all that bullshit again. Quests and Tamer Info show us info about what we're supposed to do and what we've already done (useless for the moment), and we don't have any items yet, which means the only useful screen right now is Digimon.

I'll have a proper Mechanics update eventually, but for a crash course, you have three of your up-to-six Digimon set up on a five-square line, fighting your opponents' mons. Digimon who are close together give each other bonuses, while mons who are farther apart are harder to hit all at once with area attacks (usually).

Raph and Mikey's stats. Appreciate those high numbers while they last, they won't be here long.

With nothing else to do in this room except :spergin: some more, we move on to the Light Fang waiting area, and hopefully some actual gameplay.

Glare is counting on us, the last member of the team, to win three fights in a row, but no pressure! Tonpei joins us to get chewed out for being useless, which puts everyone in one room, just in time for a cast rolecall.

We've already met Pulsa. He uses a lot of exclamation points and takes everything way too seriously.

Cheetah looks like he escaped from another anime, and tries to act like it, too. Unfortunately, he's exactly as competent as everyone else here.

Cosplaying Tristan and half as relevant is Tonpei. Together with Cheetah, these two are responsible for almost all of the "our friends are in trouble and we have to go save them" nonsense in this game.

Komachi tries to be the big sister of the group. She's like Joe from the first season, except without Gomamon to act as a foil, and therefore the most boring character in an entire cast of boring characters.

Rounding out the gang is Kenpa. I think she's supposed to be "moe", or whatever you kids are calling it these days.

Glare is in charge because he's actually competent.

His partner is Ophanimon, who likes to inject gameplay tips into casual conversations. I can only imagine that she and Peppy Hare would get along like a Digi-house on Digi-fire.

Glare tries to reassure everyone that they fought their hardest and that's really what matters, before shooing us out to clean up their mess by actually winning.

Our first opponent is Weevil Underwood Newton. I'd say he's way too smug for such an obvious mook, but considering he apparently clean-swept everyone else on our team, it's hard to really blame him.

The top screen displays mon status, turn order, and the battlefield as a whole, while the bottom screen shows the current mon, your battle options, and the attacks actually happening.

As expected of a tutorial battle, this is going to be a complete curbstomp. Our opponent is Kokuwamon. Later, when we have an appropriately-strengthed team, it'll be one of the more annoying Rookies to fight. Here, it barely survives Raph's first attack, and Mikey finishes it off with a tremendous amount of overkill.

Winning a battle gets you Bits, the currency, and Species EXP. Evolving certain Digimon requires not just grinding for levels, but grinding for levels against the right kinds of chaff. Greymon, for example, requires Agumon have 280 Dragon EXP. It's like EV Training in Pokemon, except mandatory.

Everyone cheers for us in perfectly synchronized one-fist hops. The animation-recycling makes sense on the humans, but even the Digimon do it, too. It's a little weird. Newton curses us, saying that even if we beat him, the rest of Night Crow is even stronger than him.

The weakest member of Night Crow handily beat everyone else on our team. Let the implications of that sink in for a moment.

Ponch is equally indignant about someone in Light Fang being decent.

MameTyramon is an Ultimate, and he's even at a decent level, but unfortunately, he's still a tutorial enemy, and barely gets one attack off before he's crushed into the ground.

Gabumon doesn't even get a turn. :black101:

Two down and one to go. Last is Gutts, who says that we can't beat, quote, "the super cool me!". This game chooses the weirdest things to translate literally. :psyduck:

:japan: Trivia: It's likely that Gutts was using the first-person pronoun, "ore-sama", which comes out to something like "my lordly, badass self". Characters who use ore-sama include Vegeta from DBZ, Kamina from TTGL, and Beezlemon from Digimon Tamers.

This time, it's Volcanomon, Golemon, and Mushroomon. A fight we could lose, if we tried. Progress! But, once again, two-thirds of their team is dead before they get a turn. Golemon does get one attack off, but he does minimum damage to everyone but Leo.

And with that, we've won the tutorial. We're amazing, Komachi gets what's probably supposed to be a sick burn on Pulsa, everyone laughs, fade to black.

Next Digi-Update: They're hacking our internets!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 18, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I played Dusk and everytime I think to myself "oh the grind wasn't that bad" it takes me like 5 seconds to remember that's cause i got frustrated at a later point and action replayed infinite exp

i love digimon, why do the games all have to have so much grinding :sigh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I love Digimon LPs, even for games as mediocre as this one. I genuinely find nothing fun in it, it isn't as terrible as DW2 or DW3, but it isn't good either, it's grindy and just lacks charm. But hey, watching others play is always fun.

Also I feel you should point out in the first post that this game is not a World game at all. The Digimon Story series is separate, and was rebranded as World in the west entirely for advertisement purpouses, until Cyber Sleuth came out and both series were properly separated worldwide (as well as World finally settling on a single gameplay style since Re: Digitize).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I should! Lemme do that.

Edit And we have the new thread tag, too. :toot:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 18, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
boy OR GIRL!?

:alexa:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We come back to the game standing in the same lobby as we were in before. As much as I'd like to just jump right into the next fight, we have talking to do. Not much, though. I completely ignore our teammates and head back into the lobby.

We're greeted by Ophanimon praising us for shooting fish in a barrel, and walk over to where she and Glare are standing, in order to soak in more of that delicious ego-boost.

Julia, the leader of Night Crow and her ChaosGallantmon enter, accompanied by one of the best pieces of music in this game. It's a shame you only get to hear much of it in Dusk.

We're formally introduced to Sayo, who will be our final opponent in the tutorial, and act as our primary rival throughout most of the game. A bit more chatter, and we're released to talk to a few more pointless NPCs. There's nothing important to do, so we head right on over to finish this tutorial up.

The "boss fight" of the tutorial, (so to speak, it still uses the standard battle music) Sayo is using the Balance Pack from Dusk, the counterpart to our current team. This fight could be very difficult, except for MachGaogamon's rather convenient Fire weakness.

Raph's first attack knocks off more than half of his HP, and takes Lilamon down to about half as well. Mikey one-shots Lunamon. MachGaogamon then boosts Lilamon's speed. Speed is the god stat in this game, but in-battle stat boosts are rather marginal, so it doesn't really matter. Lila Shower hits Raph twice, and lowers his attack both times, but even then, a second Trident Revolver is enough to make the rest of the fight just mopping up.

Sayo congratulates us, but swears she won't lose next time. The grown-ups talk some more, then spot a shady hooded character and make me realize I probably should have taken another screenshot.

We follow behind, and catch up just as the mysterious hooded figure is cornered. He cackles ominously and disappears, leaving us to stand around like assholes until a sudden, awkward scene transition.

This is SunshineCITY [sic], base of Light Fang and primary hub town for most of the game.

Gaoh and Lyla rarely ever show up, but they don't drag us off to rescue them constantly, either, so they're fine by me. Glare sends them off to train for the Bronze Tournament, which is the next level up from the Normal Tournament we won today.

They salute and depart, while Glare holds us to talk about the plot finally showing up 'strange guy' we ran into before. We're asked to keep our ear to the ground, since apparently the same person's also shown up in DarkmoonCITY [sic], where Night Crow and the good BGM live.

Glare thanks us for our hard work, and says he's sent a present to our home page Tamer Home for doing such a great job being competent, and then cuts us loose into the city proper.

SunshineCITY is split into several parts. Shine Office has the main tamer offices, where we'll be getting most of our mission. Shine Gate leads to the outside world, and connects Shine Office with the other two sections. Shine Hall and Shine Square are mostly full of chattery NPCs, and Shine Plaza, our destination, connects to the shops, and our Tamer Home.

Later on, there will be some NPCs who have sidequests and other such things to share with us, but right now, just about all we can do is head home, and get our present.

Or, we would, but look who we ran into on the way back! It's the whole drat gang. :shepicide:

Somehow, they heard we got a present, and pester us about what it might be. Pulsa gets jealous, Komachi lays down another sick burn, and everyone wanders off to do their own things. There's actually about a solid minute of dialogue that's probably supposed to make the characters seem likable. It doesn't really work. At all. Ever.

We can't get home fast enough.

Waiting for us is Gatomon, who we can't use in combat, but who will, at least in theory, serve the role of mission control for us. Since we're apparently like twelve with no adults but Glare and Julia in sight, I must assume she also raised us, which brings up all sorts of questions I'd rather not get into.

Still, for the sake of clarity, and a stupid pun, from now on, I shall be refering to this particular Gatomon as Gatomom.

Our reward for doing so well is a Farm Island Card, which we can exchange in the shop for a Farm Island. It's hard to tell since you get it from the start, and it takes a while to learn to use it properly, but the Farm Island will save us a lot of grinding in the long run. We're going to be using the hell out of this thing.

Gatomom shotguns a lot of terms and concepts that don't actually mean anything to us yet, we yawn, and she notices, shooing us off to bed. Sleeping is a thing we have to do, but eating is never really brought up at all, ever. More questions the game doesn't have any interest in answering.

Gatomom praises us for doing well, and even tells us to make sure we keep warm. :3:

Meanwhile, back in SunshineCITY, a generic NPC talks to her Greymon about the Bronze Tournament tomorrow. The awkward silence that follows is interrupted by another sudden perspective shift. This happens a lot.

People are excited about the Tournament, but the stronger, older Digimon have been feeling uneasy, like something bad is about to happen...

Another legitimately really good track... that only comes up once. :sigh:

Suddenly, everything begins shaking back and forth! A very peculiar-sounding alarm goes off! Finally, plot!

What, a glowing purple skull-orb looks suspicious? Why, I never!

The orb cackles and, to the surprise of absolutely no one, explodes with evil power. Everything goes white. When it clears...

The orb warps past the dazed Tamers and egged Digimon, and enters SunshineCITY.

Second verse, same as the first. Evil laugh, crackling energy, rumbling sound...

And everyone's an egg again. The mysterious dark energy being disappears to parts unknown.

While everyone outside has been turned into eggs, because we were in our Tamer Home, the worsts of the effects were filtered out, and our team has been returned to Rookie. Our taste of power is over. From here on out, if we want strength, we're going to have to work for it.

Oh, and the stores are closed so we won't be able to get our Farm Island yet.

drat you, you dastardly fiend! :argh:

Next Digi-Update: We actually play the game!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
You know, I want to complain about shops being closed...but I'll admit, they do a drat good job of being absolute cock-teases here with how things are going down.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I remember playing this way back, and by remember I mean my brain has blocked out all the repetitive grinding so I only vaguely remember the last hour of story or so. All in all it was a game I had fun with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We actually have our first two pieces of fanart, from a non-goon (who I am trying to convince to become a goon).

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I think I got through this game with like zero grinding...then again I fought every encounter, which there were a lot of.

(I was also playing the night-themed version of this game. The good version of this game.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That fanart of Gatomom is really cute. :kimchi:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
WEEEEEEVIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL! :argh: but yes Gatomom is totes adorbs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Folks wanna push us to page 2? I've got a mechanics update ready but I don't like having quite so many big posts on page 1.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, if we gotta post, I might as well point this out: later games seem to suggest that Sayo is the canonical protagonist of the second Story games (thus making Dusk canon) with the Lunamon pack as her choice, considering she reappears in Cyber Sleuth while Koh and the other choices do not.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Thanks to you I intend to give playing this game another shot. I'm just hoping this game doesn't make me go crazy. Then again, I also like Disgaea games, so it's a wash all things considered. :shepicide:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kemix posted:

Thanks to you I intend to give playing this game another shot. I'm just hoping this game doesn't make me go crazy. Then again, I also like Disgaea games, so it's a wash all things considered. :shepicide:
I'd seriously recommend using GameShark for 100% Scan Data if you can, or at least the front desk codes. I'm deliberately refusing to use them, but DotShineGreymon and the Legend gear do a lot to pull the grinding out of the early-game.

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

Can/will you use gameshark codes to get the exclusive digimon from the Dusk? Or going to use a pair of emulators?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tazgirl18992 posted:

Can/will you use gameshark codes to get the exclusive digimon from the Dusk? Or going to use a pair of emulators?
Even I don't hate myself enough to 100% this game. Unless there's a very specific 'mon that people want to see, I'm not going to bother.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
This is one of my favorite Digimon games and I would say there's very little shame in using the front desk items. I really wish it wasn't as flawed as it is, because I can see the good game buried underneath the bad stuff.

I feel like I never really cracked this game wide open so maybe I can learn a thing or two from this thread and replay it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This should be Page 2 now, right?

Edit Dammit.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I somehow enjoyed this game enough to beat it and most of the postgame stuff once, lose the game cartridge, and then a couple years later rebuy the game for cheap and play through the entire thing again.

There's something oddly captivating about acquiring all the coolest digimon you can get despite how grindy the whole experience is.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'd like to note now, early on Money drops are
SUPREMELY stingy. Like, so far the lowest bit payout is friggin 7 and it doesn't scale much better past that. Also MP is not really an issue-persay. But you will be going into the menu a lot to restore it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Still quite a few posts to go before page two, so keep going. I played and quite enjoyed the Dusk version of this; I remember it being, as stated, grindy as gently caress, but there was something about it that was really enjoyable. Maybe it was just me being a little younger. One thing I loved was the ability to, through grinding back and forth, continuously raise your favorite 'mon's stats to way above what they should be for their relative level.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find this game positively mediocre, but for a Digimon game that's not bad. It's worse than the crown jewels of the franchise (Card Battle, Rumble Arena, Cyber Sleuth) but it's better than the worst trash it has (Worlds 2-4, All-Star Battle, etc.).

I've tried to play it multiple times but it just bores me pretty quickly. It never gets to genuinely anger me though, unlike the previously said, so that's probably good?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Posting for page 2

I tried :(

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

This should be Page 2 now, right?

Edit Dammit.

it used to be 20 posts per page but at some point it went to like 30 or 40

you're prob gonna be waiting for a while at this rate, why not post a link to it or something if you think it's too big for the forums?

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Ahh yes. Digimon world Dawn I remember playing this so much it was just so fun for me. I even grinded my digimon to 999 in every stat. I had the free time and making use of that quitting trick when it came to that one mission made it alot easier to grind out to max stats. Good luck with the LP I'll be watching.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush, just post it. Modern internets can handle crowded pages!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, it's a short post, should be fine.

Ironic 56K warning, I guess?

Don't you want to know what all these pointless numbers mean? No?

Too bad, we're doing it anyways.

HP are the old RPG standby. When they're reduced to 0, the mon gets the "dead" status, can't contribute to the battle, and doesn't gain EXP unless revived. Otherwise, they come back after the battle with 1 HP.

MP are the fuel used to perform attacks. All attacks use MP, so if you run out, the Mon's not going to be able to attack until it gets some more.

Attack increases damage dealt. More damage means fewer attacks needed to bring someone down, which saves MP. Red numbers like those on the right indicate persistent bonuses, usually from either traits or equipment.

Defense decreases damage taken. Some mons can end up with a frustratingly high Defense, tanking everything thrown at them and eating up the opponent's MP like nobody's business.

Spirit is an interesting, poorly-defined stat. The best theory I heard is that it has something to do with elemental affinity. What is worth noting is that Mikey seems to both deal more and take less damage than Raph despite his lower stats... except for Spirit. So, it's definitely a factor.

Speed decides turn order. If you have a high enough speed, you can get several turns in a row before the opponent does. Having a particularly low speed, on the other hand, is almost unforgivable.

Aptitude is max level. Unlike other stats, this one's only increased by Digivolution, both up and down. And sometimes, you'll come up with a level requirement for a digivolution that you can't reach yet, meaning grinding becomes quite literally necessary. Speaking of Digivolution...

This is Agumon's digivolution tree. Raph's, in particular. You're only able to see the options branching directly from Digimon we already own. So, we can see Koromon's options (Agumon and DotAgumon), as well as Agumon's (Greymon and GeoGreymon), but their further stages are currently mysteries to us. This makes a guide almost mandatory if you're looking to make certain specific Digimon.

We'll be using the Agumon line for our example because it provides most of the different possible parameters, and is fairly well-known.

A change from Agumon to Greymon has two requirements. The first is Level 18. Easy enough, and underneath Raph's current level cap, no less.

The second is 280 Dragon EXP. This means Agumon must have gotten at least 280 EXP in his lifetime from Dragon-species Digimon. Champions tend to have reasonable requirements, but Ultimates can hit the thousands, and Megas the tens of thousands. Small mercies, the game keeps track of Species EXP, so even if we were to evolve and de-evolve Raph a hundred times, as long has he's gotten at least 280 EXP from Dragons in his lifetime, he'll still qualify for Greymon.

GeoGreymon has a slightly stricter level requirement, and two other, new ones.

Friend level is a rough measurement of how well you're taking care of your Digimon. Level them up, give them items, and keep them from fainting, and Friend level goes up. Treat the mon poorly, and it goes down. Honestly, the system is cribbed pretty much straight from Pokemon, so if you know that, you know this.

Attribute requirements are both the simplest and the most infuriating of the requirements. Stats can be gained by leveling, by digivolving, and by training. They can be lost by degenerating down a level, the opposite of Digivolving (more on that below).

Regardless, a Digimon needs to have the proper stat to at least the given minimum value at the point they are attempting to Digivolve. So, even if Raph had 999 Defense at some point, if it's currently at 89, no dice.

Digivolving down a level, referred to in-game as degenerating, is the key to making your Digimon really powerful. It raises the level cap, and, if you hit it before every level change, you can get a fairly respectable amount of stat profit. By doing this, if you grind enough, you could conceivably have a Koromon with 999 in all stats, if that was something you wanted to do for... some reason.

Hey, if you're playing this game, you're already a masochist, how else you torture yourself with it is your business.

Next Digi-Mechanics: Equipment, Traits, and Techniques!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Did you want to note one of the other requirements for some digivolutions, the one that makes certain poo poo REALLY obtuse, or are you holding off on that one for reasons?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

Did you want to note one of the other requirements for some digivolutions, the one that makes certain poo poo REALLY obtuse, or are you holding off on that one for reasons?
That one mostly comes up in regards to certain DNAs, directly or indirectly, so I'll be saving that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok. This is in no way just a post to add onto the post count to force the number of posts higher to move to the next page so we can post more posts.

I was actually a little annoyed they removed the stat rubber band mechanic from Cyber Sleuth; it meant that your Digimon were generally always nearly identical when you leveled them down and back up, and the system they put in that essentially gave you more stat points to allocate didn't nearly make up for it. Yeah, it meant you couldn't just bounce back and forth and eventually steam roll the game purely via stat points, but it also felt a bit more limiting in what you could do. It made the early sections grindier than necessary, since your power curve was a lot flatter than it could have been.

Granted, Cyber Sleuth didn't have the stupid system of mixed XP types for Digivolution requirements, and a few other mechanics felt more sound, but you'll get there when you get there.

Also Dusk is clearly the superior version, and Sayo is the better Tamer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

All of these game mechanics sound really neat, but then you run into how the battles are just straightforward jrpg fights, and the plot's eh, and.... oh. This could've been cool.

Ah well, maybe the rest of the game will prove me wrong!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh. This could've been cool.

Ah well, maybe the rest of the game will prove me wrong!
If only, if only, the woodpecker cries, the bark on the trees was as soft as the skies

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Would you mind if I posted some of the difference between Dusk and Dawn's intros and stuff? It's generally nothing huge, but it might be interesting to people. There's actually a whole little intro section to Dusk I don't think Dawn has, and the tournament actually goes a little differently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

Would you mind if I posted some of the difference between Dusk and Dawn's intros and stuff? It's generally nothing huge, but it might be interesting to people. There's actually a whole little intro section to Dusk I don't think Dawn has, and the tournament actually goes a little differently.
I wouldn't mind that at all! I might even link your posts in the OP, if you're okay with that and it looks alright.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Fighting Evilmon by Moonlight - Digimon Dusk

We start out with a very similar title screen, only with a nice purple theme, and Lunamon in place of Coronamon.

We'll be playing as the girl this time, as opposed to Dawn's boy.

We'll also be going with the canon name of Sayo, because I'm not doing a full LP and this is the easiest idea.

Now, onto our teams.

First off, in the Balance Pack, we could go with Mach Gaogamon, and Clockmon. Mach Gaogamon is a fairly recent addition as of Dusk's release date, having come from Digimon Savers/Digimon Data Squad, a series where the main character discovers his true calling: punching giant loving monsters in their faces to power up his Agumon bro.

No, seriously, he has to punch motherfuckers or his Agumon can't evolve. It's amazing.

Clockmon, on the other hand, is a Digimon who's been around a while, but never of any real import.

Here in the Attack Pack, we have Skull Greymon, and Shadow WereGarurumon/WereGarurumon (Black), seen here being called simply "WGarurumon". The game does treat him and his photo-negative counterpart as different Digimon, but as you can tell it's a little hard to fit all those letters in.

These two are both dark counterparts to the partners of Tai and Matt, the main characters of the first season of the Digimon anime, but neither is really that important beyond that. Skull Greymon is the only one who actually gets to show up in that season and others, and Shadow WereGarurumon does have a part in one episode of a series, but that series is Digimon Frontier, and thus no one gives a single poo poo. Though according to Blaze Dragon, it was a good Wacky Races parody, which is always worthwhile, so that's a positive.

Our Defense Pack comes equipped with the blue version of Mega Kabuterimon, and Metapod's pointier and meaner cousin, Chrysalimon (known here as Kurisarimon). As with Shadow WereGarurumon, Mega Kabuterimon (Blue) is treated as distinct from Mega Kabuterimon (Red), and will have different paths and stats.

Mega Kabuterimon (Blue) shows up very little in Digimon media, compared to his much more well known red counterpart, but other than color there's generally very little difference; Blue can't fly, while Red can.

Chrysalimon, on the other hand, shows up fairly often these days, and got its start as the Champion level form-not-appearing-in-this-film for Diaboromon, villain of that Digimon movie you might have seen in theaters when you were younger, with "Kids in America" for a theme song, a third act that came out of loving nowhere and made no sense, and a horrible lead-in short that we shall not speak of. Go look up the movie, though, its history is kind of fascinating.

Chrysalimon is supposedly incapable of moving, and was summarily skipped over between Keramon and Infermon in the movie. However, despite that, it's managed multiple appearances since then, and even got to beat up one of the main Digimon in Savers for a little bit. Good for it!

The Pretty Pack has Pandamon, who appears to be sporting your standard cool anime scarf, and Lilymon, who is most remembered as the Ultimate form of season one's best-girl-wanna-fight-about-it Mimi. While Pandamon appears to get nearly no love from the franchise at large, Lilymon appears rather frequently, especially at the side of Mimi in merchandise and cameos.

This is the pack we're going with, obviously.

Unlike Dawn, we start off in an area called Thriller Ruin, listening to Chief Julia and Chaos Gallantmon explain that the tournament will soon commence. For now, our job is to train in teams of three, specifically with our good friends Newton and Dorothy. Rounding out the group are our other companions, Ponch, Gutts, and Barone. They will serve extremely similar roles to Don's own gang of useless ne'er-do-wells in the Dawn LP, right down to copying some of the same lines and getting into the same problems.

Chief Julia explains that she's requested the Digimon native to this area leave us alone. Not quite explained in Dawn's plot as of yet is that generally, even in some areas outside of the cities, humans and Digimon tend to lead a cooperative existence. This will in no way impact random encounter rates later on, but for now we're not going to run into any.

Newton drags Dorothy and us here, to this random spot. That man barely on the screen to the right is Raigo, and his current role is photobombing. He's a higher ranked Tamer than us, and is here to keep us from going too deep into the area. For now, Newton challenges us to a battle, which we win handily because this is the tutorial.

As in the tournament, his only Digimon is a single Kokuwamon, who gets beaten in one turn. Also, you might notice inflated XP rewards here. I will neither confirm nor deny that I am totally using XP multiplier codes because duh.

Newton congratulates us on being able to select his Digimon on a menu screen and hit the Confirm button, the screen suddenly shakes violently, some Vilemon appear, and everyone displays emoji. One of the Vilemon mumbles something about killing, and Newton and Dorothy task us with calling down Standards and Practices on their faces, violently. This battle is supposed to teach us how to use Items, but like Newton's, it is another one-turn-win and we move on.

On our way back, we run into our other dear companions, similarly beset by vile Vilemon, and rescue them with violence. As we return to Chief Julia to let her know what's going on, a mysterious cloaked figure manages to completely avoid my screenshots rush into a dead end and teleport away, leaving us all scratching our heads. Deciding that investigating the Digimon that just attempted to murder us can wait, Chief Julia orders everyone back to DarkmoonCITY for rest, to prepare for the tournament tomorrow.

From here, things play out very similarly. However, there are some minor differences. Possibly to make up for the fact that we already had some battles, Sayo starts at the final match. The game proceeds as though Don won his matches up until the finals, but here, we get to beat him down instead.

His team is essentially the Balance Pack from Dawn, with the Angewomon swapped for Angemon. I could have picked the Balance Pack myself for the sake of symmetry, but c'mon, that scarf. He does manage to take out my Lunamon; I wasn't really paying attention, and he one shot her. His Coronamon didn't fare much better, and in the end, the tutorial was over.

As before, we win, the game congratulates us, and then the MYSTERIOUS FIGURE attracts everyone's attention and reminds us this game has a plot. We get taken back to the city, only this time we head to DarkmoonCITY, where we get praised by the chief, discover that DarkmoonCITY is the reverse of SunshineCITY, and check in with our dear friends. Upon heading to our headstead, we discover that, in keeping with the whole "dark counterpart" nature of DarkmoonCITY, our caretaker is none other than Black Gato-

Er, Phascomon. Who apparently has appeared in almost nothing whatsoever other than this game, and some mobile things. Why this is our caretaker, I don't know, but I guess he's our father figure? He shares the same role and general attitude as Don's "Gatomom", and gives the same information. I suppose it'll do, but it's a weird choice.

From here, as before, things proceed almost identically to Dawn's version of events. In a cool little detail though, the confrontation between cities takes place on the opposite side of the transition area, to match DarkmoonCITY's entrance. Something similar happened in the tournament area, where Sayo had to enter the Dusk waiting room in the southeast of the area, as opposed to Dawn's northwest. A very small thing, but it would have been easy enough to just swap colors and call it a day instead of actually acknowledging the proper differences.

So far, that's basically everything different in Dusk in relation to Dawn. There is the menu screen, which is just a color swap, and totally reflects the massive reward Sayo got for the tournament and not my further cheating antics. Beyond that, though, the differences are going to be mostly minor, other than some story beats and a couple of area visits. Don't expect anything this huge again, but I thought it would be a fun look at Dawn and Dusk.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a Good Post. Into the OP it goes!

• Locked thread