Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, I had Murray queued up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I had Murray next as my definite pick.

Soooo, I'll be pairing Julio Jones with Doug Baldwin. I was torn between him and 2 other WRs. I feel any of the rest of the RBs after Murray is a reach in the 2nd round.

Doug Baldwin has been Mr. Dependable as a fantasy WR for years now. Russell Wilson's favorite red zone target. Also, he's PFF's #1 rated WR if that means anything to anyone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I debated between Jordy and Freeman. Both will likely be fine, but MY SHEET says that Freeman had more value and the two are basically equal on rank so it's a coin flip.

I'm probably not going to like this mock. Most of my other mocks have made me wish I had gone WR early, so we'll see how this works out. On the other hand McCoy's value was too great to give up (he's my 5th highest valued player and RB4), and Freeman is right behind him.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I want Shady, beyond obvious reasons. But I knew he wouldn't be there.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Fournette in the 2nd, lol. I know he was a beast amongst men in college, but that Jacksonville o-line is baaaaaaad, bad, bad.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think he's going to be very good.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I think he'll be good, but I don't have him that high. He's a rookie who had some injury issues last year. You can easily see a case where Ivory gets 3rd down work or even goal line carries to help Fournette ease into things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

Fournette in the 2nd, lol. I know he was a beast amongst men in college, but that Jacksonville o-line is baaaaaaad, bad, bad.

PFF ranks them 13th.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh, poo poo, I'm up! Sorry for taking so long, I didn't anticipate the draft getting back to me for at least a few more days

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
1.01 David Johnson:
Tier 1, catches a billion passes, slightly less injury history

2.12 Dez Bryant:
What the living drat? Shame on all of you

3.01 DeAndre Hopkins
Alright, you all redeemed yourselves by how extremely slim the choices were by round 3. I feel there are better odds in passing on an early RB2 and just getting a buncha RB3s, so I took the WR that I felt had the best skills to make top 12 while staying healthy(since my wr1 is injury prone)

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 3, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm already getting way too stressed out for a draft that isn't for any money.

Also, that time in a draft where you've got like 3 guys you want, and you hope the 2 guys in front of you make the decision for you.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Fournette is solid in the second and Jacksonville's line wasn't the problem. Bad running backs were the problem.

Having said that, I'm not sure I could take him before the third.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I debated between Jordy and Freeman. Both will likely be fine, but MY SHEET says that Freeman had more value and the two are basically equal on rank so it's a coin flip.

These were my top three in the queue for the second. I had Freeman higher too.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah and I passed on Jordy to take Gronk, so :shrug:

Would have taken Gronk if Jordy weren't there :D

Drunk Nerds posted:

2.12 Dez Bryant:
What the living drat? Shame on all of you

Jordy > Dez

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rotoviz has a good article on why Dez might be a trap. Specifically his targets per game have been trending down, he hasn't been terribly efficient with those targets, and there isn't really any reason for that to change. In other words he's being drafted at his ceiling even though there's a solid chance he ends up as a WR2 like last year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rotoviz has a good article on why Dez might be a trap. Specifically his targets per game have been trending down, he hasn't been terribly efficient with those targets, and there isn't really any reason for that to change. In other words he's being drafted at his ceiling even though there's a solid chance he ends up as a WR2 like last year.

It's real hard to say. Part of me looks at his missed 3 games last year, early in the season that might have kept him from getting on board with the young QB quite as much, and thinks he can rebound. If you take his YPG and figure over 16 games he still doesn't hit 1k yards though. I'm probably drafting him, but I don't think I'd feel great about him as a 1.

And I feel like I have a lot to answer for with Gurley and Miller back to back. Mostly I looked at the list and thought I had a decent chance of acceptable WRs when it came back. I dunno, maybe I should have grabbed a WR here, but I'm hesitant about Allen or Robinson or Cooks here and I feel like the RBs give me a solid (if unspectacular) floor. Obviously, I'm hoping for a bit of return to 2015 from both. I'm not really feeling great about these and 3 picks in this feels like a team that winds up about .500 and either doesn't make the playoffs or craps out early. Naturally, I'm hoping I can right the ship a bit and try and nab some higher ceiling guys later.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bryant had three great years sandwiched between four years of crap because of injuries and mediocrity.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Well, that was a tough pick. But I went with my gut and selected....

Alshon Jeffrey.

Was either him or Brandin Cooks. I think Cooks is gonna do great, but fantasy wise, Brady still distributes that ball all over the field. There is also the issue of being in a new system, but the Patriots system is very difficult to pick up. Where as, Wentz has been very attached to Alshon all of OTA and has loved testing his down the field ability. They also seem to be a match made in heaven.

It may not be smart to go so heavy on WR this year as RB is a little tough and there's a lottt of depth in WRs.

But, on the same note, it's gonna be personally difficult for me to pass up on Alshon this year :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess I'm OK with Hyde in the third round. Probably the niners will be a bit better this year, and he'll be healthy, and if both of those things happen he should be OK. :shrug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Garcon also helps make their passing game less disgusting, giving maybe more room for him? Maybe not.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
You look at that QB situation and the passing game and think that Hyde really is going to get as many touches as possible.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I guess I'm OK with Hyde in the third round. Probably the niners will be a bit better this year, and he'll be healthy, and if both of those things happen he should be OK. :shrug:

Hyde makes me nervous, because I get the feeling Shanahan doesn't like him. The problem is I like Hyde a lot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Both Thomas and Robinson have mid-third round grades, so getting them at the turn is pretty fantastic. I didn't really feel the need to go QB (particularly since I'm not sold on Brady), TE is something I will likely punt on unless the value is very good, and while RB is an option my highest ranked player is Marshawn Lynch and I really like the opportunity elsewhere. Thomas was last year's WR13 and has been a consistent starter, so drafting him as the 19th player off the board is great value. Robinson was the next highest value and I think he's in line for a bounce-back year. Obviously there are a lot of risks here (not the least of which being Bortles), but given that Bortles was playing injured I'm willing to take a shot on a player who last year was being drafted in the first round.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm taking Ty Montgomery in the fourth. Having gone with WR and TE as my 1-2, and given the risks with Hyde, I felt I had to take another RB this round. I also wanted to avoid my RB2 having the same bye week as my RB1. And, I wanted a decently high chance that the guy I took would be the lead back. Ty Montgomery apparently needs to learn to block before he'll be firmly seated as a three-down back, but I think there's a decent chance he does that, and even if not, his efficiency is just way high and I think green bay will make heavy use of him with Lacy gone.

I also considered Lynch (very risky but with huge upside), CJ Anderson (Denver swears they're now a committee), and Doug Martin (supposedly a reach at this spot, and week 11 bye) before deciding Ty is my guy. The chance he might qualify as a WR is an added bonus.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I planned on saving QB until much later, but I really didn't like the value at WR or RB. I already had Cooks and Nelson, and not really sold on Hill. The RBs remaining were not worth a fourth. So I took my highest rated QB.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Edit double post

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This is kind of the fun part of the draft.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
How many spots does each position play? 1 flex?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

How many spots does each position play? 1 flex?

This is a great question, I'm having a lot of trouble finding the positional requirements

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1DST

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1DST

I should've figured it out when you said "same as before" as LITERALLY THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE OP.

I'm drunk and stupid, though.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Sweet, didn't think he'd fall to the end of the 4th.

Marshawn Lynch.

Yeah, he's old and took a year off. But he's coming behind one of the best o-lines. I don't particularly think Latavius Murray is that good, but somehow the Raiders still got him 12 TDs last year. So even Lynch at 3/4th what he was, I don't see how he doesn't hit AT LEAST Murray's numbers from last year. Lynch has also looked great in the offseason and Jack Del Rio is pumped up about him. Also throw in the fact that Lynch came back to play for his childhood favorite team. Can't think he's not especially motivated this year to give the Raiders all he has.

I think Lynch is a steal at the end of the 4th, despite circumstances.

Mixon went before me. I think he'll eventually do good. But I think it'll take a Gio Bernard injury. Gio has been one of the best receiving RBs in a long time. I think most realistically Mixon takes over Hill's role and hits Hill's numbers, perhaps a little over, with a better YPC. And I'm sure a few of you out there are familiar with how frustrating Jeremy's Hill's numbers have been against some of the best matchups.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 5, 2017

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Sataere posted:

I planned on saving QB until much later, but I really didn't like the value at WR or RB. I already had Cooks and Nelson, and not really sold on Hill. The RBs remaining were not worth a fourth. So I took my highest rated QB.

This was me after you took Luck. Brees is pretty much a lock top 5 QB and the points structure commands a top QB. I felt like I could miss out on the top tier if I waited until next round so while they are available I grabbed one.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

89 posted:

Mixon went before me. I think he'll eventually do good. But I think it'll take a Gio Bernard injury. Gio has been one of the best receiving RBs in a long time. I think most realistically Mixon takes over Hill's role and hits Hill's numbers, perhaps a little over, with a better YPC. And I'm sure a few of you out there are familiar with how frustrating Jeremy's Hill's numbers have been against some of the best matchups.

You know Bernard's potentially going to be out the first few games of the season, right? He's still rehabbing his ACL from last year and who knows how he comes back from that. If Mixon performs well before Bernard is back, I wouldn't be shocked if he takes a good bit of the passing down work. Mixon really has the potential to be a feature back there.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Are we really living in a world where Terrelle Pryor goes in the 4th round?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Veritek83 posted:

You know Bernard's potentially going to be out the first few games of the season, right? He's still rehabbing his ACL from last year and who knows how he comes back from that. If Mixon performs well before Bernard is back, I wouldn't be shocked if he takes a good bit of the passing down work. Mixon really has the potential to be a feature back there.

Definitely possible. 4th round is just too rich for my blood for an unproven rookie. Despite how talented in college he was. I'd feel better about it if they had cut Gio or Hill. But they are still there. And I haven't seen anything suggesting either will be cut.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

jabro posted:

Are we really living in a world where Terrelle Pryor goes in the 4th round?

As the guy who drafted him, I think so there's a shot. He had 1000 yards on the Browns and I feel like that has to improve with the Skins.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Ben Nevis posted:

As the guy who drafted him, I think so there's a shot. He had 1000 yards on the Browns and I feel like that has to improve with the Skins.

2nd year in the position, joining a team that's gotta replace ~200 targets after losing Garcon and Jackson and playing with a better QB than he had last year are all great reasons to think he's due for some improvement.

On the other hand, he's not going to see 25% of the market share like he did last year.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Thanks for Tyreek ya'll

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

WR is deep, waiting on QB is my jam, and Joe Mixon has a good chance to beast out and be a feature back for the Bengals (hopefully) high powered offense this year. I see the Bengals O-Line as the biggest obstacle to his success as opposed to a possibly PUP listed Gio and a bad Jeremy Hill, who is clearly out of favor in CIN.

Considered Lynch due to situation, but I see his passing game work as compromised, which limits PPR appeal and am generally skeptical that a 31 year old who retired after a declining, injury-riddled season, took a year off can come back and be the Lynch of old. Not tons of positive historical comps.

Mixon is an elite athlete, was an excellent pass catcher in college, and could very well be the best RB in this rookie class.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Figure I'll get caught up on my picks:

1.02- LeVeon Bell- I'm predisposed to Zero RB, but when I've been getting a top 2 pick, Johnson or Bell is basically irresistible. I have slight concerns that the Steelers offense may take a step backwards this year, due to the caveman they've got behind center, but hopefully Bryant's reinstatement pays off and this is the combined attack we've waited years to see. If Bell can stay healthy and off the weed, then he's setting records this year.

2.11- Amari Cooper- I'm a believer that this is the year Cooper genuinely replaces Crabtree as the top target in Oakland. It's also a matter of the other WR options here: Dez has been plagued by nagging injuries for (it seems like) a couple seasons now and at 28, I'm not enraptured by the idea of grabbing him here. I also think Dallas is probably due for a step back this year with the changes on their line. Nuke Hopkins was definitely an option, but I don't like the idea of Tom Savage throwing to any of my WRs for any number of games. Keenan Allen was absolutely in play, but I'm somewhat hesitant to take any LAC WR until we get to training camp and see how things are shaping up. I figured if I took Cooper I could get Allen or Watkins in the third and was happy with that possibility.

3.02- Sammy Watkins- I guess I really like youngish WRs who could be poised to make that next step. This revision surgery on his foot (like Julio had to have) will hopefully give him a full 16 healthy games this year and if he gets that I think he's a top 10 WR. The Bills basically can't pass less than they did under Rex Ryan and I'll buy into the "chip on the shoulder, prove something" narrative with this being a contract year.

4.11- Jordan Reed- I'm pretty sure I'm going to way too overexposed to Reed this year. I keep finding myself in the late fourth looking at my other options and not really buying any of them as better on per-game basis. I won't draft a QB here and I feel like I can get my guys at WR and RB later on. This will almost certainly bite me in the rear end in mid-late October when Reed gets his bell rung, does his best Aikman in a Madden commercial impression and retires early, but as a Washington fan, the chance that he stays healthy and plays a full 16 is just too tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Again a slam dunk end of round pick, followed by slim pickens

4.12 Tom Brady. Color me shocked that he fell this far. Father time will catch up with him, but with the improvements NE made to its offense, it won't be this year

5.01 Jamison Crowder.
Gosh, so slim. I only have 1 RB, but he is the top RB, so I think I'm gonna take a chance and bounce the ~10 or so RBS I like back to the end of the 6th round. Crowder is poised for a breakout year, and I think he's a notch above the other WRs (except Crabtree, debated between those two). Looking back, I think I needed a dependable WR3 because of my other two (Dez, DeAndre)... so I think Maybe I shoulda gone Crabtree.

• Locked thread