Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
8.12 Samaje Peerine or whatever
The only remaining RB I kinda like. I have Doug Martin and Eddie LAcy as my RB2 committee, so I desperately need to try to shore that up. If fat rob starts fumbling, the job is perine's to loe

9.01 Jack Doyle
Way early, but I seriously hate all of the remaining TE's besides Doyle, whom I really like. All my other positions are pretty bricked up, so I decided I would rather reach then play the odds in exchange for like an RB5 or a WR I'm never going to start

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
5.02 - Golden Tate I'll happily take Golden Tate as my third WR in half PPR. Three straight seasons of 90+ catches in Detroit and in terms of additions to the team, he shouldn't be worried about losing market share.

6.11 - C.J. Anderson People (Cecil Lammey doesn't count) forget he was really good last year while he was healthy. The risk of Charles really eating into his workload is legitimate, but I think it's probably overstated. Anderson will make a for a solid part of my RB2 platoon, with serious upside if he ends up with a feature back level of touches.

7.02 - Pierre Garcon Other 49ers wide receivers: Marquise Goodwin, Bruce Ellington, DeAndre Smelter, Jeremy Kerley. Brian Hoyer is competent enough and that relatively short, over the middle stuff in a Shanahan offense is where he and Garcon are going to earn their paychecks. Garcon's ceiling is really nice and his floor is really stable, purely on volume. Maybe I'm a round or two early, but he's a great WR4.

8.11 - Theo Riddick Probably a little bit early again, but I think his floor is 50 catches and the Lions like to pass. There's some talk about Abdullah not getting goal line looks, which I guess would go to Zenner, but could just as easily be short passes to Riddick coming out of the backfield.

9.02 - Kareem Hunt Could end up being the starting Andy Reid RB. Spencer Ware had some great games last year while he was healthy, but just might not be cut out to have that kinda workload. Hunt could end up having the best rookie RB season of his class.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If this were the first week of September, I'd only draft one QB. But it's July; if you only draft one QB, you could wind up having to grab a free agent before the season even begins.

I actually keep having this issue when making draft picks in a mock draft in July. A bunch of guys are going to get hurt during training camp and that's going to affect everything... so I feel that I would need insurance.

Maybe I'm not mock drafting properly, I dunno. It's OK though, you all play in other leagues and you certainly have at least one league taco who drafts two QBs, right?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
For Coleman, he was good before injury last year, and someone has to catch the ball in Cleveland. I think he's got some real upside.

Of the QBs left, Stafford finished 2nd last year, and that's only because of Dak's rushing TDs. I don't think you can rely on that this year. While less exciting than a young guy, I like Stafford.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

If this were the first week of September, I'd only draft one QB. But it's July; if you only draft one QB, you could wind up having to grab a free agent before the season even begins.

Maybe I'm not mock drafting properly, I dunno. It's OK though, you all play in other leagues and you certainly have at least one league taco who drafts two QBs, right?

This is me, I am the taco.

vvv JERK. I had Brown ready to grab. Instead ended up with Enunwa because someone has to catch a pass or two even on a horrible team, right?

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 10, 2017

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Keep taking QBs and let the RBs and WRs fall to me... John Brown as my WR5 is dope.

Recapping some picks:

5.06 Stefon Diggs flashed big time early last season then struggled with injuries down the stretch. I think this is the season he makes the jump to high end WR2 with WR1 weeks sprinkled in. His route running ability is insane.

6.07 Emmanuel Sanders is perennially criminally undervalued, and poised for another WR2 season. Both he and DT quietly put up 1k yard seasons last year under bad QB play, but hopefully should improve upon those numbers w/more consistent QB play and a more pass-happy Mike McCoy offensive system

7.06 Danny Woodhead is another guy who is always a huge value in drafts. He was the PPR RB2 just two years ago, and assuming he comes back from his ACL tear at close to 100% (early indications are that he is ahead of schedule), he figures to be a high volume pass catcher and red zone weapon for the Ravens. With tons of freed up targets in the passing game, and a void at RB with Dixon suspended to start the season, Woodhead could again post an RB1 finish this season.

8.07 Desean Jackson is a guy I always end up drafting for my flex spot - as he brings week winning upside to the table when healthy. Now opposite Mike Evans, DJax should eat with more limited defensive attention and Jameis Winston's deep ball should TB take a step forward offensively.

9.06 John Brown battled injury issues last season after a productive 2015, and is almost a forgotten man in drafts. All signs point to a bounce back year (if he can stay healthy) in Arizona this season, and potentially a future lead WR role once Fitz finally hangs up the cleats.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Noooo, Decker was supposed to fall to me!

Mariota.

I was a bit nervous about waiting too long on my third receiver. Between Decker and Shepard, I think my team has rounded out beautifully and I really like the make up of my roster.

89 posted:

Honestly, I'm not too against this weird drafting idea I've spontaneously gone with. Load up on the discounted old guys who were the elite 1-2 years ago. Pad the bottom with boom or bust high potential young guys.

I've always felt that old guys who have one bad year always take too drastic a hit in many situations. It's not a bad strategy, as long as you hedge your bets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

I actually keep having this issue when making draft picks in a mock draft in July. A bunch of guys are going to get hurt during training camp and that's going to affect everything... so I feel that I would need insurance.

My family league has 2-3 tacos, so I appreciate it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I was a bit nervous about waiting too long on my third receiver. Between Decker and Shepard, I think my team has rounded out beautifully and I really like the make up of my roster.

I don't know what to do with Shepard. After a promising year 1, I'd be all over him if it weren't for the Marshall acquisition. And to a lesser extent Engram. I feel like his value last year was mostly because he overproduced on TDs and those opportunities might dry up.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

I don't know what to do with Shepard. After a promising year 1, I'd be all over him if it weren't for the Marshall acquisition. And to a lesser extent Engram. I feel like his value last year was mostly because he overproduced on TDs and those opportunities might dry up.

Marshall is no guarantee and I look at investment. First year tight ends generally don't do dick. Marshall is gonna play the slot. I think him and Engram will be competing for catches, not Sterling.

Sterling has had a full NFL offseason, had a promising rookie year and was drafted at a high position on his team. There's no reason to believe he'll get worse and as a fourth receiver, that's a great floor. A lot of people thought he might be the best receiver in last year's draft, so he still has a high ceiling. I'm happy with him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I took Jordan Matthews. I realize his situation has changed - with Alshon Jeffery in Philadelphia, his target share may go down. But I think he's actually being undervalued now, maybe by a round. He'll still get production, and I don't think his knee tendonitis is going to be a big deal. I'm happy to grab him in the ninth round.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I think 800 yards & 4-6 TD's is pretty realistic for Matthews

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I feel like Matthews is a pretty good guy here especially if you're wanting some floor. I don't feel like he just explodes, but he seems in line for reasonable production and a few standout games.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

As an Eagles fan I'm avoiding him like the plague

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Diqnol posted:

As an Eagles fan I'm avoiding him like the plague

Interesting. Care to state your reasons?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Matthews has stone hands. Alshon is going to catch whatever is thrown his way and should get the majority of the middle to deep balls with some going to Torrey, so Matthews is going to be fighting for dink and dunks with Ertz and Sproles, both of whom have surer hands. Matthews is also probably not staying around after this contract expires. He's got a Christian rapport with Wentz, it's true, but I find it hard to believe he will be doing anything more than fighting for scraps. I mentally liken him to Avant.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a niners fan, I can attest that torrey smith is fast but otherwise is bad at football. And I knew Eagles fans generally dislike Matthews, but his stats suggest he can in fact produce catches, yards, and touchdowns regardless. We'll see, though... that's why he fell this far! I'm late to take WR depth so I wanted a guy that would be guaranteed a baseline level of volume here. I like a veteran WR who has proven what he can do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Cam Newton - ECR has him going two rounds earlier and we're only one year away from when he was being drafted in the top five. Sure we're expecting him to see less of a running role and he's recovering from injury, but this late in the draft his upside is too high to ignore.

Kenny Britt - Seeing the TEs available makes me wish I had waited another round and picked up a better WR like DeVante Parker last round, but Britt is someone I'm high on. Last year Britt was a WR2 on a per game basis, historically he's made his really lovely QBs better, and arguably Cleveland is a better situation than LA.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, I'm in favor of Kenny Britt. He got 1k yards last year and Cleveland produced a 1k receiver. No reason to think he can't do it this year and the price is right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm somewhat down on Cam Newton and I think his career is due to either continue to gently slide, or more likely completely crater as he gets injured more. He's been continuously sacked at an astonishing rate, and has reached a point where he is always semi-hurt (when he's not really hurt) and geting gun-shy. It's the same thing that happened to two of the other three well-known, recent QBs that share his "type" - highly mobile running threats with big arms behind lovely offensive lines that just can't seem to protect him: RGIII, Colin Kaepernick, and Russel Wilson. I also get the impression he's just not having fun any more. Cam obviously isn't exactly the same as those guys, and maybe Carolina will figure out that A) you can't turn these guys into 100% pocket passers, that's not their thing and B) the only way to take full advantage of them is by providing them with an outstanding offensive line and a highly adaptable intelligent receiving corps who can adjust as soon as the QB starts to scramble. But I'm not counting on it and I'm avoiding him in all drafts this year.

I like the Kenny Britt pick this late in the draft, he's got plenty of upside potential and is a good option to slot in during bye weeks or good matchups, which is just what you want in your WR5.

e. I should acknowledge that last year, the Panther's OL was severely beaten up, and they did address OL needs in the draft. But the news I'm reading is that both Cam and the Panthers coaches want him to stay in the pocket and throw short, quick passes a lot more, and I'm very unconvinced that he will make that transition while also being an elite fantasy QB.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 11, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Marvin Jones. The clear #2 in Detroit's passing attack, with 800+ yards as a floor, and potential for a lot more than that if he shapes up. Supposedly he'll be better this year after working with Randy Moss in the offseason? I won't count on it, but he'll be fine to slot in for bye weeks and matchups.

I avoided a couple of other similar cases due to bye weeks; there were several decent WR options at this point I think, and I wouldn't call Jones in the 10th a reach.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Marvin Jones. The clear #2 in Detroit's passing attack, with 800+ yards as a floor, and potential for a lot more than that if he shapes up. Supposedly he'll be better this year after working with Randy Moss in the offseason? I won't count on it, but he'll be fine to slot in for bye weeks and matchups.

I avoided a couple of other similar cases due to bye weeks; there were several decent WR options at this point I think, and I wouldn't call Jones in the 10th a reach.

If I hadn't gotten Cam I would have gotten Jones.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Yessir backup QB time. And why Big Ben is being drafted so low when he has arguably the #1 RB and #1 WR in fantasy is beyond me. Maybe the ADP hasn't adjusted back to normal since his 'considering retirement' stuff? In any case more than happy to do this here considering the scoring system as a just-in-case.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Winston is going as QB8 on average in the SFB, so love that value at QB14. I could have probably waited another round and been super happy with my QB1, but don't love the board otherwise right now.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Jonathan Stewart starting this year, yall

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aw, I was hoping to grab Jamaal Charles next round.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Got me some Forte to go with my Powell which would be maddening if I had to start either of them. This would be a good way to guarantee production out of the slot.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If I hadn't gotten Cam I would have gotten Jones.

If he hadn't gotten Jones I would have.

I'm a little waffly on Kamara. Some people were talking him up in the main thread so what the hell. Not loving RB now, but I'm fairly content otherwise.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Aw, I was hoping to grab Jamaal Charles next round.

Yeah, that felt like the spot to take him. I think he'll end up being a huge steal or flaming out spectacularly. I don't mind rolling the dice on a guy with a 25% 5% chance of being an RB1 in the 10th.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
10.11 - Duke Johnson - My RB stable is complete(probably). Johnson's pass-catching upside in an offense that just can't be worse than last year (right?) and potential to take more work if Crowell goes down/in losing game scripts makes for incredible value in the 10th.

11.02 - Phillip Rivers - I hate drafting a QB, but Rivers in the 11th is pretty silly. Last year, missing Keenan Allen and behind abysmal line play, Rivers was the QB 14. The Chargers have spent significant resources to shore up the line and River's weapons should be improved/healthy this season. Losing Woodhead as a safety blanket doesn't help, but all the early news from OTAs is extremely positive. Rivers could quite reasonably be a top 12 QB this season. I did consider holding out and seeing who was still available in the 12th, but given that some folks are drafting backup QBs, I figured Rivers now was the safer option.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rivers was my next pick!!

Rudolph is going to be a pretty decent TE this year, probably TE7 or so.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
10.12 Martellus Bennett
Need another TE lottery ticket to compliment Jack Doyle. My choices were Bennett, Kyle Rudolph, and a bunch of rookies. As we all know, rookie tight ends never hit, and I feel super uncomfortable betting on Minnesota's offense. Bennett slides into a great offense with a QB who knows how to utilize his TE in the red zone. Now, admittedly, there was the same exact hype when Jared Cook joined the PAckers last year. However, Bennett runs rings around Cook in terms of Skill.

11.01 Joe Williams
I don't know, man. I had to rush to get this pick out for work. There is ample debate raging as to whether Shanahan's hand-picking of Williams in the draft will lead to significant playing time, or if this is just a phantom narrative made up by journalists to sell a story. Still, if Hyde goes down, which he usually does, Williams has only the ancient Tim Hightower ahead of him.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Diqnol posted:

Rivers was my next pick!!

Rudolph is going to be a pretty decent TE this year, probably TE7 or so.

If Bradford is the QB the whole year then sure, but Minnesota wants Teddy to be QB and if Teddy somehow gets the job Rudolph drops into mid TE2 territory.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Man if Teddy returns this season, i doubt it'd be much more than a backup role honestly. That is unless Bradford gets hurt, which is a very real possibility.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

VietCampo posted:

Man if Teddy returns this season, i doubt it'd be much more than a backup role honestly. That is unless Bradford gets hurt, which is a very real possibility.

Yeah, but Samuel Bradford anagrams to Durable Farm Sod, so he seems pretty sturdy to me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
:captainpop:

If the anagram fits, you must tenth round pick

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
On Rawls, if Eddie Lacy struggles (injury/Golden Corral) Rawls has some pretty great upside.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eric Ebron in the 11th round. Under most circumstances I would not take a second TE in redraft. However, I have Gronk, and that requires insurance. Ebron is a suitably late pick to not heavily impact my roster, but suitably early as to still be a viable plug-in if (when) Gronk is concussed etc.

There is some chatter that maybe with Anquan Boldin gone, Ebron gets an increased role, too; I am not putting a lot of credit to that, but I do have Marvin Jones rostered as well, and I'm OK with the idea of slotting them both in on good matchups and then getting a larger slice of Detroit's non-Tate passing game, however that gets divided.

That said, Ebron is also potential trade bait for someone who rostered one busted/hurt TE and doesn't like the waiver situation. He's not spectacular but I think he has a pretty safe floor.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I get being low on Latavius Murray. I'm honestly not a fan. But really? He falls to the 11th round on a team whose head coach hates rookies? Thanks, I guess. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the fantasy world seems really down on him, on the impression that he was only good in Oakland because of a great OL and if he'd been that good, Oakland would have re-signed him or something.

I don't think he's a world-class RB but he's also not awful, either, and he should be a solid option as like a RB3 on a fantasy team. I seriously considered taking him this round but decided I wanted a decent TE or failing that a decent WR.

I'm sort of surprised as well at how many teams are rostering 5+ RBs. The format is 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE, 1 FLEX, right? I get taking a fourth RB for some insurance, but a fifth... ehhh...

e. In your case you've got Jamaal Charles and Derrik Henry, so I guess a safe fifth RB makes more sense.

• Locked thread