Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I thought about James White, but I needed another receiver. Mike' Wallace is gonna be sneaky good again.

Didn't Flacco lead the league in deep throws last season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the fantasy world seems really down on him, on the impression that he was only good in Oakland because of a great OL and if he'd been that good, Oakland would have re-signed him or something.

I don't think he's a world-class RB but he's also not awful, either, and he should be a solid option as like a RB3 on a fantasy team. I seriously considered taking him this round but decided I wanted a decent TE or failing that a decent WR.

I'm sort of surprised as well at how many teams are rostering 5+ RBs. The format is 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE, 1 FLEX, right? I get taking a fourth RB for some insurance, but a fifth... ehhh...

e. In your case you've got Jamaal Charles and Derrik Henry, so I guess a safe fifth RB makes more sense.

I had to hedge my running back bets. I still have four pretty strong receivers, but I also think there are more worthwhile running backs in the middle rounds and receivers are easier to find.

I'm treating this like an actual mock draft. That means I know I'll find at least one WR3 on the WW during the regular season. :v:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I had to hedge my running back bets. I still have four pretty strong receivers, but I also think there are more worthwhile running backs in the middle rounds and receivers are easier to find.

I'm treating this like an actual mock draft. That means I know I'll find at least one WR3 on the WW during the regular season. :v:

Yeah, I'm debating here. At 5 WR, I'm feeling pretty good. I like my top 4 and I like the upside of Coleman. Normally playing 3 WR, I'd finish with one more WR than RB, but with my RB situation feeling shakier, I might opt to go there if I feel there's a good one. There's probably not.

And yeah, absolutely like the Wallace pick here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Terrance West - With four RBs I'm pretty happy, especially since all of them are starters in the beginning of the season. There's no guarantee that Dixon takes the starting role when he comes back.

Adam Thielen - Last year's breakout season saw him finish as a WR2, and there are plenty of additional targets for him to improve. For all his talents Stefon Diggs is highly injury prone, and even if that's not the case Thielen is likely to outperform his draft spot as the 54th WR off the board. Overall I'm really kicking myself for my TE and QB choices. I could have waited a round and picked up Kyle Rudolph instead of Tyler Eifert, and there are plenty of QBs still on the board that I would be happy to own (Taylor and Dalton in particular) and would likely be able to get super late.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Terrance West - With four RBs I'm pretty happy, especially since all of them are starters in the beginning of the season. There's no guarantee that Dixon takes the starting role when he comes back.

Adam Thielen - Last year's breakout season saw him finish as a WR2, and there are plenty of additional targets for him to improve. For all his talents Stefon Diggs is highly injury prone, and even if that's not the case Thielen is likely to outperform his draft spot as the 54th WR off the board. Overall I'm really kicking myself for my TE and QB choices. I could have waited a round and picked up Kyle Rudolph instead of Tyler Eifert, and there are plenty of QBs still on the board that I would be happy to own (Taylor and Dalton in particular) and would likely be able to get super late.

West was about to be drafted by me when I realized that Latavius Murray was still around.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Sataere posted:

I get being low on Latavius Murray. I'm honestly not a fan. But really? He falls to the 11th round on a team whose head coach hates rookies? Thanks, I guess. :shrug:

He was my next pick to handcuff Cook when he got drafted. I know how rookie RBs can go, but so far reports on Cook seem positive toward him being a 3 down possibility. I kinda need it to go that way now not getting Murray.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mohamed Sanu in the 12th round seems pretty great to me. The Falcons are going to continue to be a high-powered passing offense and he has a substantial chunk of it as the WR2 on the team.

I had him ahead of Thielen and Doctson on my autodraft list so I'm delighted to get him after both those guys go. I know Matt Ryan has a lot of targets, but Sanu will be on the field for most offensive snaps and he's a very good wide receiver who pulls second-best or third-best coverage while teams try to cover Julio.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah Will Fuller!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ted Ginn has a much better QB in Brees now. He's taking over Cooks old role. Rushing attack looks much improved. Ted Ginn will do good.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Ted Ginn has a much better QB in Brees now. He's taking over Cooks old role. Rushing attack looks much improved. Ted Ginn will do good.

What year are you posting from?

Every year

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wait, poo poo. Do we only have 2 more rounds? I still have 1 QB, 1 TE, and no defense

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I don't normally draft a 2nd QB, so I feel like 89 may have tricked me into taking Dak. That being said there's a chance he's better than the guy I have.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Yeah, I occasionally go for a second TE or QB if there is real value, but mostly I figure I can cut one of my RB/WR when they flame out if I need to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo, I have to draft a d/st?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Leperflesh posted:

poo poo, I have to draft a d/st?

Pretty sure MFL won't force you to draft a valid starting roster, but I think from a mock draft perspective it's more useful to do it than not. IIRC ESPN will force you to draft a valid starting roster. Not sure about Yahoo or other services.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Veritek83 posted:

Pretty sure MFL won't force you to draft a valid starting roster, but I think from a mock draft perspective it's more useful to do it than not. IIRC ESPN will force you to draft a valid starting roster. Not sure about Yahoo or other services.

Yahoo does. I'm fairly certain FFC does, as well.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Is KC Def still good? I feel like they may be. Whatever, I'm drafting them anyways.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

Is KC Def still good? I feel like they may be. Whatever, I'm drafting them anyways.

Wait, what? They're still on the board? Dangit, I took Denver because they were the top listed D remaiing and I just ASSUMED that KC had gone

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Justin Houston back and healthy, KC should be pretty solid

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The redraft is throwing me off.

I wrote off Richard Matthews.

Then I realized he was the slot receiver.

He gonna eat with Corey & Decker in town

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

McFadden is an awesome end of the roster lotto ticket. If Zeke gets suspended as is rumored, he has immediate plug and play RB2 value in Dallas, and/or trade value to the Zeke owner who may be on tilt.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

McFadden is an awesome end of the roster lotto ticket. If Zeke gets suspended as is rumored, he has immediate plug and play RB2 value in Dallas, and/or trade value to the Zeke owner who may be on tilt.

That was a smart pick

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I saw him, but I don't draft Cowboys.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

That was a smart pick

Not much of a handcuff guy, but there are a few late round RBs with immense upside that I love drafting. Was between McFadden and a few other guys who I'm guessing get snagged pretty quick here.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Nobody likes J.J. Nelson this year?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That player you think will break out he's bad

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Nobody likes J.J. Nelson this year?

He weighs like 90 pounds

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I took Kenny Stills.

I had Rishard Matthews rated higher and would have taken him if 89 hadn't. I also was looking in the last two rounds at will fuller, ted ginn, and a handful of other guys who are still on the board; but I had Stills just below Matthews and am happy to get him. He's still slated as the WR2 in Miami, a pass-heavy offense, who just signed him to 4 years/32 million dollars. That's proof as far as I'm concerned that they have no intention of cutting his usage; there's been a lot of hype about how Devante Parker is going to step up, but I prefer proven usage over coachspeak and handwaving. Last year was 42 catches for 726 yards and 9 touchdowns. That's a sweet bargain for a 13th round pick in my opinion.

Getting WRs of this caliber this late in the draft kind of makes me feel quite validated for not going deep on WRs early. There's still plenty of value that is going to wind up undrafted entirely; guys like Cole Beasley, Tyler Lockett, and Marquise Lee being available as well tells me that Stills isn't just the one guy everyone forgot.

I had planned to take one more RB, but I guess even though MFL doesn't force it, I should take a D/ST, because most leagues I'd be required to take one and that's the function of the mock. I don't see a single one of you guys taking a second D/ST though, and I'm typically just fine with and D/ST in the top 12 and then streaming as needed, so IDGAF who I get at this point my draft decisions are basically over.

Soo, I don't mind saying that I'd have taken DeAndre Washington if he was still on the board, as the guy Oakland will use for first and second downs plus some goal line work if Beast Mode is hurt or turns out to be washed up now. Failing him, I guess maybe jeremy hill or one of the tampa bay boys as week 1-4 dudes to be dumped for whoever I need to grab off waivers by then.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I really considered taking a defense in the 12th round but decided to wait because we had three more rounds to go........what? You are saying we only have two rounds to go? Oops.

Still got the Patriots who play the Jets twice so they will be top 10 just off of those two games.

I was really hoping Rishard Mathews would go under the radar as even with Decker and Davis he is gonna get fat on Mariota targets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess I got the rams, whooptie doo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Andy Dalton - gently caress me I should have waited on QB. I love his upside.

Vikings - :geno:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Andy Dalton - gently caress me I should have waited on QB. I love his upside.

Vikings - :geno:

Damnit. I was hoping they'd slip.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey all, I apologize for not being very involved this draft and for auto-drafting a couple times. I had a family emergency come up last week and have been really distracted. Things settled down so I am going to go back through all of my picks.

(1.10) AJ Green - One of the most consistent receivers in the game, would have had another huge year last year if it wasn't cut short by injury.
(2.03) TY Hilton - With Luck healthy this year, TY should have an amazing season and I feel he is always underrated. Didn't like any of the RBs that high
(3.10) Isaiah Crowell - Not the best RB1 but he should be solid with my great receivers
(4.03) Christian Mcaffrey - I regret this pick and probably would have rather had Mixon here. We'll see how it plays out.
(5.10) Ameer Abdullah - Third RB in a row but I couldn't pass up this value at the end of the 5th. Abdullah looked explosive before his injury last year and could be an RB1 if he stays healthy.
(6.03) Russell Wilson - Auto-pick. I normally never pick a QB this early but could do worse than Wilson.
(7.10) Corey Davis - Auto pick. I'm actually stoked on this because the Titans obviously want him to be a big part of their offense after taking him in the first.
(8.03) Devante Parker - Took a big step forward last year and I think he continues to improve and develop chemistry with Tanny.
(9.10) Zach Ertz - Auto-pick. Not stoked on this since there were some late round TEs i was looking at.
(10.03) Rob Kelley - I know everyone is concerned that Perine is going to take over but I don't think that's for sure yet and I believe Fat Rob will start the season and be given the chance to keep the job.
(11.10) John Ross - Burner WR that could be a nice lotto ticket for the Bengals who have little receiving threat outside Green and Eifert.
(12.03) Evan Engram - Decided to burn a spot on another TE because I think Engram has a chance to break out in NYG as a rookie because so much of the focus will be on the other receiving threats like OBJ and Shepard.
(13.10) Marlon Mack - Gore is getting old and while if anyone can be successful at his age, its him, I am ok with this lotto ticket in the 13th.
(14.03) Cardinals DEF *shrugs*

Overall I think my team has high upside but a good amount of risk.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Alright, looks like that's a wrap. Good draft all, I'll come back when it's proven my team is an unstoppable force. If it doesn't, then obviously mods knew.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Had a blast. Thanks for organizing this Beer!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Want another?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Who wants to trade?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

I do, but I think I should keep free to make sure the goon fish bowl goes smoothly.
Why aren't you in it? We have two more spaces left.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

I do, but I think I should keep free to make sure the goon fish bowl goes smoothly.
Why aren't you in it? We have two more spaces left.

Trying to limit my leagues while I work on a PhD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just as a recap:

The ADP kept throwing me and I'd expect guys to fall farther. Generally, I think I should have paid more attention to the guys after me on the short side. There was at least twice where I expected a guy to come back and he didn't, and looking at it after the fact it should have been obvious.

The 2 big things I regret are taking a QB so early. If I knew Dak would last so long I'd have just waited and grabbed an RB instead of Stafford there. The 2nd is Alvin Kamara. Like who knows whether he'll be good or bad but I might have been better served by taking Johnson or Forte in that spot. Oops.

When it's all said and done, I think my team's fairly solid. The disappointing spot is RB, where Gillislee is the only guy I really like, but I think Miller and Gurley will produce though won't be exceptional and I like the upside in Gillislee and the potential in Rawls late. I like the WR corps and feel they represent some solid scoring with some potential to be great. Punting on TE was a conscious decision and I'm OK with riding it out.

Looking over the teams this morning, the big question I had was for Leper. Why go so short on RB? Was that a choice or just the way the cards fell?

• Locked thread