Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why doesn't someone call the IRS and ask the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

If you sell a single painting that you made for $500, you sure as hell owe self-employment tax. The cutoff is $400 for reporting income like that, and if you made the painting, then that's earned income, which is subject to the self employment tax. You can owe self employment tax on hobby income.

http://finance.zacks.com/income-subject-selfemployment-tax-9330.html

The reason why gambling winnings don't have self employment tax is because the IRS considers gambling winnings unearned income. Coin mining is considered earned income.

I'm not convinced, since the IRS website doesn't seem to agree with what you're saying. Even the link that you provided differentiates between a dealer (say someone who sells paintings regularly) and a non-dealer (someone selling their first and probably only painting). All of the links provided so far seem to say that self-employment requires some professional capacity and doesn't include happenstance things like finding $20 on the street or getting paid $50 by a friend for helping them move

but I don't really care since I have no skin in this game either way :shobon:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hi.

Maybe instead of pussyfooting around you should just look up what the criteria for determining the difference between a hobby and a business or trade ( I have bolded the ones that clearly apply to cryptocurrency mining )

https://www.irs.gov/uac/business-or-hobby-answer-has-implications-for-deductions posted:

Generally, an activity qualifies as a business if it is carried on with the reasonable expectation of earning a profit.

In order to make this determination, taxpayers should consider the following factors:
  • Does the time and effort put into the activity indicate an intention to make a profit?
  • Does the taxpayer depend on income from the activity?
  • If there are losses, are they due to circumstances beyond the taxpayer’s control or did they occur in the start-up phase of the business?
  • Has the taxpayer changed methods of operation to improve profitability?
  • Does the taxpayer or his/her advisors have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business?
  • Has the taxpayer made a profit in similar activities in the past?
  • Does the activity make a profit in some years?
  • Can the taxpayer expect to make a profit in the future from the appreciation of assets used in the activity?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

this thread somehow took a turn for the dumber

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
it could be worse

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bitcoin fits none of those categories. The only way 99% of bitcoiners make a taxable income is accidentally

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Twerk from Home posted:

The cutoff is $400 for reporting income like that

This sucks by the way, and it's amazing neither party has attempted to do anything about it. Back before labor became worthless and kids mowed lawns for other people, they'd make more than that in a summer.

Either way, it looks like you could seriously consider it a hobby and not a job if you use your simple home hardware to mine while you're asleep or whatever, keeping unreliable hours and not doing anything to optimize profit. Between that and the volatility of the market, it's not reliable income.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 22, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fauxtool posted:

bitcoin fits none of those categories. The only way 99% of bitcoiners make a taxable income is accidentally

It's arguable more money is lost than earned, if you waste your time by messing with bitcoins

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
These arguments are dumb

Claymore posted:

The DAG epoch issue: it seems AMD fixed it for Vega in drivers and now they are working on Polaris. New drivers will be available soon, may be in two weeks or so.

AMD fixed their drivers it seems

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah discussions about profitability in the mining thread are irrelevant anyway

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Instead of theorycrafting potential tax implications, perhaps call the IRS directly and find out your specific query.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

Instead of theorycrafting potential tax implications, perhaps call the IRS directly and find out your specific query.

Oh, sure. Then call the dutch police and tell them your username is on the list of buyers by accident.

If anyone doesn't follow the other bitcoin thread(s), the Dutch police are having a good time.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 22, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That's actually good for Bitcoins, because

gently caress I don't know, price up 20% last week

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Irrational self interest.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Russian Fentanyl sales are gonna take a huge hit from this

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Craptacular! posted:

This sucks by the way, and it's amazing neither party has attempted to do anything about it. Back before labor became worthless and kids mowed lawns for other people, they'd make more than that in a summer.

Either way, it looks like you could seriously consider it a hobby and not a job if you use your simple home hardware to mine while you're asleep or whatever, keeping unreliable hours and not doing anything to optimize profit. Between that and the volatility of the market, it's not reliable income.

I can genuinely say this is a hobby, most of us here could I imagine. Im morr invested than many here in that I built a computer for it, but I built a computer for $86 to see if I could. If I was taking this serious, like taxable income serious, Id have bought real equipment and a bunch of gpus the first moment I could because there would have been a very real chance of turning actual income levels of profit. Id worry about taxes then.

Besides, somebody that goes around picking up change off the ground everyday meets those criteria too anyway.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

More bits for the bit gods

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

I can genuinely say this is a hobby, most of us here could I imagine. Im morr invested than many here in that I built a computer for it, but I built a computer for $86 to see if I could. If I was taking this serious, like taxable income serious, Id have bought real equipment and a bunch of gpus the first moment I could because there would have been a very real chance of turning actual income levels of profit. Id worry about taxes then.

Besides, somebody that goes around picking up change off the ground everyday meets those criteria too anyway.

FYI all income is taxable income, including hobby income. Hope you're keeping records!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4.22/day now, up up up!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

QuarkJets posted:

FYI all income is taxable income, including hobby income. Hope you're keeping records!

tbh the people who are mining hard should probably become a business, while the average person just mining in their spare time is not going to make any more money than I find walking along the street and it's not like anybody ever reports that. Hobbyists can also offset hobby income with hobby losses (though they can't go into the negatives) so if you really care about this stuff then use your buttmoney to pay your electric bill and buy a better GPU for your hobby.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fauxtool posted:

4.22/day now, up up up!

Yeah I just sold a GPU and my profits didn't even go down!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Every time I make the responsible decision like selling my cards and cashing out my buttcoins I regret it, should have rented a warehouse and hired an electrician!

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Every time I make the responsible decision like selling my cards and cashing out my buttcoins I regret it, should have rented a warehouse hired an electrician!

You mean complain how expensive an electrician is then get electrocuted trying it yourself

looking at completed listings for GPU on ebay is depressing. People still paying 325 for a used rx480 with no warranty

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 23, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my brother has been mining with a 1070 as long as me and he never cashed out thinking it was no big deal. I cash out immediately and all my USD are worth the same as they were a month ago.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Mother fucker, guy who bought my card on eBay is trying to scam me by falsely claiming that the card is defective. Is there anything I can do?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 26, 2017

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or is he just complaining that he received a burned out buttmining card :thunk:

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Post all that poo poo for sale on ebay/CL/forum sales site of choice NOW and then start cleaning it up and getting it ready to go over the next few days while you wait for the lowballers and looky-loos to clear out and you actually end up selling it all.

Pro tip: best to sell a bit under "market value" now and actually get some still decent cash rather than trying to get $$$absolute top dollar$$$ since it looks like things may be on the tipping point of crashing.

edit: heh you posted while I was typing this up, seems like you got the right idea

If they had the right idea they wouldn't have mined for butts in tyool 2017

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

1gnoirents posted:

7 cents kwh comes out to $16 a month

So still in the red then

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I think I mined on it for like 3 days lol, I sold it quick since I was worried about the 4GB VRAM and the Etherium DAG size. I had signature confirmation and the delivery was never actually confirmed and now they're claiming that it's defective.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 26, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

is that your posting on reddit? :v:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6phq63/help_i_sold_my_rx_480_on_ebay_and_almost_3_weeks/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nah I do browse reddit but I've never actually posted a thread, I guess worst case scenario I can just take the card back and sell it again assuming the rear end in a top hat doesn't do something to the card. Part of the reason why I'm pissed is that they sat on this thing for like three weeks and never did the signature confirmation somehow.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 26, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't understand the scam in that post; the seller gets his card back and the buyer gets his money back, who's getting scammed here exactly?

Is he implying that the buyer is a mole planted by FedEx to get people to ship video cards back and forth?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

Mother fucker, guy who bought my card on eBay is trying to scam me by falsely claiming that the card is defective. Is there anything I can do?

This is why I always sell electronics on Craigslist

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I don't understand the scam in that post; the seller gets his card back and the buyer gets his money back, who's getting scammed here exactly?

Is he implying that the buyer is a mole planted by FedEx to get people to ship video cards back and forth?

He has to pay for return shipping which isn't cheap so it's still a net loss

eames
May 9, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

The idea is that some people bought these cards while mining was profitable, used them to mine and now return them with a fake reason because it becomes unprofitable (and card prices are going down, so the seller loses the price difference). Ebay's buyer protection allows these refunds for 180 days. The reddit thread claims that some buyers send back older cards with different serial numbers and keep the newer ones.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

He has to pay for return shipping which isn't cheap so it's still a net loss

But the buyer had to pay for shipping in the first place, so they both lose an equal amount to each other.

eames posted:

The idea is that some people bought these cards while mining was profitable, used them to mine and now return them with a fake reason because it becomes unprofitable (and card prices are going down, so the seller loses the price difference). Ebay's buyer protection allows these refunds for 180 days. The reddit thread claims that some buyers send back older cards with different serial numbers and keep the newer ones.

lol that's awesome all hail cryptocurrency

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Cryptocurrency: the prisoner's dilemma except all participants have the betray button taped down with autofire enabled

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The buyer can send back a box of rocks or a different card.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
It's almost time for that new data fork thingamajig come august, but china's already quickly storing its bitcoins beforehand. I think the crypto rate will just be pretty low for about a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Junior Jr. posted:

It's almost time for that new data fork thingamajig come august, but china's already quickly storing its bitcoins beforehand. I think the crypto rate will just be pretty low for about a month or so.

You mean proof of steak? That's not coming for a while, and even then there are other cryptos to GPU mine.

• Locked thread