Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

has anyone said buttcoin yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tabletops posted:

how do i invest other peoples capital into my cryptomining operations

Tabletops posted:

I have free electricity where I am.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Btw does anyone know what's this retarded meme of typing "Hodl" instead of Hold
a buttcoiner once misspelt it and their community is desperate for memes because on the internet memes are equal to cultural relevancy so they have used it ever since.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Dren posted:

Where is the coin that is mined with human blood sacrifices
http://www.dmcoin.net/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

hi guys, I made four dollars today selling collectable cards from video games I bought on steam, how is the profitability of cryptocurrencies lately?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jokes on you, I live in a country with single payer health insurance so my carpal tunnel was fixed years ago at no direct cost to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hi.

Maybe instead of pussyfooting around you should just look up what the criteria for determining the difference between a hobby and a business or trade ( I have bolded the ones that clearly apply to cryptocurrency mining )

https://www.irs.gov/uac/business-or-hobby-answer-has-implications-for-deductions posted:

Generally, an activity qualifies as a business if it is carried on with the reasonable expectation of earning a profit.

In order to make this determination, taxpayers should consider the following factors:
  • Does the time and effort put into the activity indicate an intention to make a profit?
  • Does the taxpayer depend on income from the activity?
  • If there are losses, are they due to circumstances beyond the taxpayer’s control or did they occur in the start-up phase of the business?
  • Has the taxpayer changed methods of operation to improve profitability?
  • Does the taxpayer or his/her advisors have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business?
  • Has the taxpayer made a profit in similar activities in the past?
  • Does the activity make a profit in some years?
  • Can the taxpayer expect to make a profit in the future from the appreciation of assets used in the activity?

• Locked thread