Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOLqt5nKL0

Want to see a magic trick?

Watch closely. I lock myself in chains, hang upside down, silence my voice, blind myself to the truth. Nothing up my sleeves: no key, no spellbook, no magic wand, no hope of getting free. This is the prison I create with my mind. The Lie.

You’re on the edge of your seat, right? Here comes the trick. I’ll show you what else the mind can do.

I turn inward. There’s a guide inside me, my true Persona, unchained, waiting to be drawn out of my soul like a rabbit from a hat. I merge with the avatar of my own potential and we walk the secret Path through the dreams of me and mankind and the earth itself, higher and deeper, until we reach the shining place, the root of all magic, the Supernal World, where imagination and creativity and potential is strong enough to overcome reality. And through my Persona, I channel that power down through my own soul. I am thou, thou art I.

Now my chains come loose. Now I stand. Now I speak. Now I see clearly.

And for my next trick, I’ll make the Fallen World disappear.

---

I want to run a game of Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition, with some homebrew to be introduced as it comes up, inspired by Persona 5. I’d prefer to run it over Discord, mostly in scheduled sessions with some PBP in between. I’m hoping to run one or two chapters, assess how it’s going, and then decide whether and how we’d like to continue. I’ve been running and playing Mage 2E for the past year both in person and online, so I feel confident in the rules and making things accessible to new players, although I’m new to Discord.

The basic premise is that you’re a bunch of cool teens who will Awaken to magical power and split your time between high school social life in the real world, fighting demons in a mystical otherworld, and investigating Mysteries across both. We’re playing in a fictionalized Los Angeles in an alt-history setting that resembles our world in 2017 through a comic book lens. This game will mostly use the Mage setting and cosmology as written, with the additions that magic mainly happens in the otherworld and your Persona is your Oneiros daimon that guided you through the astral journey to Awaken, but don’t assume that the Orders as written or a larger magical society exist. Persona 5 is a good barometer for tone and aesthetic: think illustration more than photography, real issues as a backdrop for supernatural action, stylized characters with a distinct hook who want things badly and are weighed down in personal and societal ways by an unjust world.

This game will take some cues from Tricky Dick Nixon’s Persona G:eist game, another take on blending Persona with the Chronicles of Darkness system. This game isn’t going to cleave as closely to the actual Persona setting, it’s more of a thematic link, but I’ll lovingly steal from his presentation. For one, I’m going to have you apply as mortal characters, and we’ll progressively talk through the actual Awakening to your power and introduce the associated mechanics after I make picks. You’ll need to have access to the Mage 2E book if you’re picked, but you don’t necessarily need to read the whole thing ahead of time. Mage goes down easier when it’s introduced in chunks.

Setting

This game is about living as a young person in a world that’s about to change. It’s set in 201X in Los Angeles, a major city in the Pacific States of America, influenced by exchange with Japan. The Pacific States are a developed world power, especially with the cultural impact of LA’s Vinewood movie industry, but not a superpower. Similar to us, the world has been slowly and unevenly recovering from a major economic recession, but the last year or two has seen a wave of political instability and shocking news, and no one really knows what’s going to happen next. It’s an election year and there is definitely a Shido analogue, but you’ve got other things to worry about.

More to the point, it’s also going to be set in the Temenos, the astral dreamworld of the collective unconscious where mythic figures and pop culture icons prowl reflections of LA and more fantastical realms. Sometimes, the twisted desires of individual people cause their Oneiros, the personal dreamworld, to merge with the Temenos reflection of a place, creating a Palace. Turbulence like this makes dreams leak into reality, causing half-remembered visions of monsters in alleyways and surreal landscapes, and worse things if left unresolved. Working magic is easier in the dreamworlds, which is good, because there’s a lot more demons there too. But don’t forget that there’s magic and Mystery hidden in the waking world too, and it won’t always wait for you to come to it.

Some scenes will be set in classrooms, beaches, neon bars, trendy stores, fluorescent-lit bowling alleys. Others will be in high-magical ritual spaces behind secret doors and the dream-libraries of cruel English teachers, guarded by carnivorous flying books. The Sleeper and the Mage sides will both be significant, and feed each other.

Character Creation
  • Create a mortal character as described in Mage, or Chronicles of Darkness/God-Machine Chronicle. Answering the 5 Breaking Point questions is optional, you can choose to do it or not. Do not apply the Mage template, including extra Resistance and Occult dots. We’ll go through your Awakening as a Mage in preludes before the game starts.
  • You have 7 Merit dots to spend, and you’ll get more after Awakening. We’ll be using the Chase, Investigation, and Social Maneuvering systems, especially if people buy Merits related to them.
  • Write 3 Aspirations now, preferably two short-term and one long-term. You can revise them later, but this tells me what kinds of things you want to do in play.
  • Your character is probably a student at Reed Academy, an elite new high school in Los Angeles. Designer uniforms, student government, extracurriculars and internships, well-funded. It’s a nominally public magnet school, but thousands of students and families apply, and access is restricted by lottery (or generous donation). Maybe you’re a foreign exchange student, or a charity case with a unique talent, or a troubled transfer from another school facing his last chance, or a trust fund kid with a guaranteed spot, or the student council vice-president, or a would-be star athlete who missed her shot, or you’re just trying to keep your head down and graduate. Maybe you had to drop out from a medical or financial emergency and the shame is killing you. Maybe you’re a fresh-faced young teacher.
  • Your character is imprisoned in a gnostic Fallen World where justice, liberation, and magical truth are denied, hidden, and frustrated at every turn. Even before they Awaken, would-be Mages are people who start to realize that something is seriously wrong and there has to be more to the world than society, media, and their own senses tell them. Think about this and let it influence your concept. You’re gonna rip off that mask soon.

In addition to a sheet, short background, and picture or description, please answer these questions:

Which of the Major Arcana best exemplifies you? Feel free to offer your own interpretation of what it means. Don’t worry about doubling up, if I end up picking two Hierophants I’ll just have someone revise. This will have a minor mechanical effect and there’s a space to record it on the sheet.

Who is an important person in your life? Name an individual who’s personally important or connected to your character, in their own right or as a representative of something bigger. This is someone you want to show up in the game, and will serve a similar role to Persona social links. They’re probably a regular mortal, but don’t feel restricted, it’s a weird and magical world.

What do you want more than anything in the world? Magic is the power that turns your hopes and desires and Obsessions into reality. You Awaken when you want something so badly that reality can no longer stop you. What will you pursue when you finally see the world clearly, and the only thing holding you back is yourself?

(also answer this boring question: Are you okay with playing over Discord? How would you feel about : asynchronous forum-style PBP, scheduled sessions using text, or scheduled sessions using voice? If scheduled, are Saturdays okay? What about CST weeknights?)

---

Recruitment is open until June 30th. If there are a lot of apps before then, or it’s clearly dried up, I might pick sooner.

Discord channel: https://discord.gg/wmARs4u

Here’s a character sheet you should use:

Name:
Concept:
Virtue:
Vice:
Arcana:

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●
    • Wits ●
    • Resolve ●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●
    • Dexterity ●
    • Stamina ●
  • Social
    • Presence ●
    • Manipulation ●
    • Composure ●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics
    • Computer
    • Crafts
    • Investigation
    • Medicine
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy
    • Expression
    • Intimidation
    • Persuasion
    • Socialize
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge

Merits
  • Merit (Dot Rating)
  • Merit (Dot Rating)

Health: Wounds/Max
Willpower: Current/Max

Aspirations
  • Short-Term Aspiration
  • Short-Term Aspiration
  • Long-Term Aspiration

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alexa Merrill, Student Council President

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Alexa. President of the student council, star of the track team, here on an academic scholarship, dating the all-state quarterback... I think you get the picture. It must seem like I have it all, right? That couldn't be further from the truth. I've... I'm..."

Alexa sighs.

"I'm not happy at all, okay? Every moment of every day is nothing but obligations and people telling me how to live my life. My mother insists that I keep up straight A's to keep this scholarship that I don't even need, but I apparently need to keep it because it's going to look great on my college applications. Law school, of course, like I even have a choice in the matter. That's why I need to compete in track, play three different instruments, and, of course, run student council. If you ask me, she's just looking to get me into politics. She was almost elected governor, if you don't remember the 200X elections. I've never forgotten. How could I? She brings it up every day."

"My father is, if you can believe it, even worse. He's... rather insistent that I keep dating Nathan. He's fine, don't get me wrong, and he treats me well, but... I don't love him. He's a guy that I would talk to every few days. You know? But his dad is one of my father's major suppliers and I'm pretty sure that there are some pretty significant concessions being made since the working assumption is that we're going to get married in a year or two."

"Sometimes I wonder if they even know who I am. I know they know what they want me to be, but nobody's ever given me a choice. A real choice, not just 'pick three instruments and learn to play them.' Trumpet, alto saxophone, and violin. That's what I ended up picking. So, recently, I started making some choices of my own. I blew off studying for the science test and decided to learn how to read tarot spreads. Sure, it was a pretty big problem when I only pulled a B- on the test. But you know what? I was happy. Happier than I'd been in years."

"I've made up my mind. I don't need to be this... thing. This perfect, porcelain doll. I'm going to make mistakes. Take some chances. And, hopefully, figure out what I want to do with my life. What's that saying? You only live once?"

quote:

Which of the Major Arcana best exemplifies you?

"It's funny you ask. When I drew my first card for my very first spread, it was The Sun. Something about it just feels... right. You know? I really like the idea of inspiring and building people up. Not because I have to, but because I want to."

Alexa is someone who's been shaped into the perfect vessel for her parents' desires, but no amount of banality can put out that quintessential spark at the core of her being. An inner Sun, if you will. Ironically it's that spark that draws people to her, not all the cruft her parents and teachers force on her. So I envision her struggle in game being a journey of self-discovery, complete with butting heads with everyone telling her who she is and how she's ruining her life every step along the way, but one where she guts through it all with hope and optimism.

quote:

Who is an important person in your life?

"You seriously can't tell anyone about her, but I've been hanging out with one of the librarians. Her name is Miss Noel. She was the one who pointed me at that tarot book. And, you know, she's been really supportive with everything. I can't talk about my problems with any of the students. For one, who can I trust? If my parents or some of the teachers hear about things... Well, it'd nip my bid for freedom right in the bud. And two, who wants to hear about the perfect student's problems? I know that so many people have it rough, but... Well, sometimes I want someone to listen to my story too."

"It's kind of funny. Studying at the library used to be my least favorite obligation, but now I look forward to it. I'm never sure what she's going to show me next. I think she mentioned digging into Kabbalah? I can't wait!"

quote:

What do you want more than anything in the world?

"Freedom. Absolute, unfettered freedom. The freedom to try anything I want. The freedom to find what I love."

quote:

Are you okay with playing over Discord?

Yep! I'd lean more towards async PbP-style, as my schedule gets a little crazy during the school year, but I could probably swing a scheduled time on the weekend. Regardless, I'd prefer text to voice.

quote:

Name: Alexa Merrill
Concept: A perfect student, defined by her parents' wishes... until now.
Virtue: Hopeful
Vice: Hasty
Arcana: Sun

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●●●
    • Manipulation ●●
    • Composure ●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●●●
    • Computer ●
    • Crafts
    • Investigation
    • Medicine ●
    • Occult ●
    • Politics ●
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●● (Track & Field)
    • Brawl
    • Drive ●
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy ●●
    • Expression ●●● (Speeches)
    • Intimidation
    • Persuasion ●●● (Flirting)
    • Socialize ●●
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge ●

Merits
  • Inspiring ●●●
  • Status (Student Council) ●●
  • Sympathetic ●●

Health: 0/7
Willpower: 5/5

Aspirations
  • Blow off her responsibilities and enjoy herself.
  • Break up with Nathan.
  • Find her true calling in life.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Hello, hello, hello! Mathias Wilder here, as requested. Someone did call for me, yeah? Hope this won’t take too long, ‘cause I’ve got a lot on my plate. We’re practicing for the play until eight, plus I still gotta finish my costume this weekend for the con- Countess, I still gotta finish the Countess costume in time for the performance. We’ve been making due with a spare dress we had lying from last year, but it’s just so, so, dull, yeah? Doesn’t stand out at all even when the spotlight’s on. Sheesh, I dunno what they were even thinking, letting someone wearing this go on stage. It’s no problemo, though, now that I’m in the drama club. Give me some needle and thread, and I can sew together any outfit you can imagine. Cripes, I really do hafta finish the Countess costume too, don’t I…?

Sorry, sorry, was I mumbling to myself? It’s a lotta work, being one of the lead actors for the drama club on top of designing and making the costumes. Heck, I even look over and edit the script from time to time. Oh, I’m not complaining though. Sure, I feel like a dried up rag the coupla months we’re in production, but the week we go live? Man, there just isn’t anything like it! Giving heart-rending monologues, clashing sword against sword, covering for the inevitable slipups… where else but on the stage can you get alla that at once? Yeah… yeah, I do love it all.

...My bad, was my mind slipping again? It’s… well, I won’t pretend it’s nothing. Believe me when I say acting is like, my life. It’s me. Been doing it since I was a kid, and it’s great. Still feel that way. But between the two of us, I’ve started to get into some, uh, other stuff recently. Nothing weird or anything! Heh, though I guess there’s some folks here that might say otherwise. It’s, uh, Japanese animation. You know. Anime. Sure, I get you, it’s not that weird. Especially with all the business we’ve done with Japan as of late. But I sorta fell in hard. Like, hard. I’m talking posters, figurines, all kinds of limited edition junk, and, as you may have guessed, cosplay. Oh man, the cosplay… the amount of money I spend to put out good quality costumes is just, ugh, it’s real rough. But I’m the kinda guy who when he gets into something, he really gets into something. And I’m not gonna cheap out when it comes to stuff I care about, be it for the stage or for the convention.

...I just wish I had both more time and money for all this. It was fine before the school year started up, but now that I hafta balance both my work for the drama club and my otaku hobbies, it’s been kind of a mess. But hey! I’ll make it work. Don’t know how, but uh, I will. Somehow.

quote:

Arcana? Oh, you mean that tarot business, yeah? Fortune telling was never really my schtick, but I've seen it pop up here and there in a coupla anime and whatnot, so I know a little about it. There's the Major Arcana, which are like the real bad boys or whatever. Uh, there's like the Fool, the Magician, the Sun and Moon, Death… oh, and then there’s Temperance, right? I admit I hadta look that one up when I first heard it. It’s not exactly a common word, yeah? Think it has to do with moderation or something? Not my style at all, honestly. If you’re gonna put in the effort, might as well go all out!

Moderation is one interpretation of the Temperance, but another important aspect is balance in one’s life, as well as having a clear vision for the future. While on the surface level Mathias seems to be in control of his situation (or at least that’s how he tries to play it off), the combination of two extensive hobbies/interests and the fact that he’s trying to give 110% to both of them is making his life anything but balanced. As such, I would place Mathias as a reversed Temperance trying very hard to become upright.

quote:

What, like my mom and dad? Or you mean, like, more personal? ‘Cause I don’t got a girlfriend or anything. I’m interested, obviously, but I’ve just got a little too much on my plate, yeah? Maybe once this upcoming play is over…? Oh! Actually, if we’re just talking people I care tons about, then I gotta mention ol’ Leo. Leonard Hopkins is his full name, and we go way back. Like, kindergarten back. Or maybe it was first grade? Well, one of the two. Point is, we’ve had each others’ backs for as long as I can remember, so yeah, I’d say he’s important to me. He’s a real quiet type, unlike me, but man does his music speak volumes. Touches you right in your heart, you know what I mean? So of course I brought along that sonnuvagun to the drama club with me as soon as we entered Reed Academy! Wouldn’t have anybody else playing by my side.

quote:

More than anything else, huh? Man, that’s a big question! Performing on Broadway, I guess? I mean, that’s the dream of anyone who does theater, right? Hm, but doing movies might be fun as well. Different, obviously, but being a big Hollywood name… yeah, yeah, I could dig it! Oh, but I guess that wouldn’t give me much time for cons and stuff, would it? Even when you aren’t practicing or travelling around the world, it’d be bad for your public image to be caught in a place like that, yeah? Not that I think there’s anything wrong with liking anime, but you just gotta keep that sort of thing in mind when you’re a star and all. Heh, though I’m getting ahead of myself. I’m not even close to that level of fame yet, after all. Still, it would probably end up being a problem if I was, wouldn’t it…? Huh.

In that case, how about something like a society where people are accepted regardless of what they believe in? That sounds nice, doesn’t it? Kind of cheesy, but hey, I’m not one to complain about that. Oh, uh, though I guess there’s some people out there who have some deviant tastes… well, whatever. This is just a what if, so what does it matter, yeah?

quote:

Discord games are fine with me. Asynchronous probably works better overall, but I can find time for sessions if needed. Text is greatly preferred to voice.

quote:

Name: Mathias Wilder
Concept: Drama Lead and Secret Otaku!
Virtue: Diligent
Vice: Prideful
Arcana: Temperance

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●●
    • Manipulation ●●
    • Composure ●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●
    • Computer ●
    • Crafts ●●● (Cosplay)
    • Investigation ●
    • Medicine ●
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry ●●
  • Social
    • Animal Ken ●
    • Empathy ●●
    • Expression ●●● (Acting)
    • Intimidation
    • Persuasion ●●
    • Socialize ●●
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge ●

Merits
  • Area of Expertise (Cosplay) - ●
  • Interdisciplinary Specialty (Cosplay) - ●
  • Good Time Management - ●
  • Patient - ●
  • Fame (Top Notch Cosplayer) - ●
  • Striking Looks - ●●

Aspirations
  • Short-Term Aspiration
  • Short-Term Aspiration
  • Long-Term Aspiration

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 25, 2017

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Who doesn't love Persona? Not me. I sure as poo poo don't not love Persona.

As far as scheduling goes, I don't mind playing over Discord, but I would prefer asynchronous play to something that requires me to be in a certain place at a certain time. I do think there should be a dedicated Discord channel regardless where we can shoot you questions and chat.

Also, we can't quote that character sheet, because it's in a quote block itself.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Casey Jackson, of the Star Arcana

Casey is currently the first-string pitcher and a regular part of the batting line-up for Reed Academy's baseball team. The fact that she's pitching and batting against males is of no real import, considering that, from a very young age, the girl seemed quite adept at the sport. Unfortunately for her, between some temper issues, overly protective and coddling parents, and a diagnosis that she was "on the spectrum", instead of being called a "prodigy," she was referred to as a "Savant." While she was fine as a student, there was concern that Casey would have issues making friends or dealing with new people, so her parents went out of their way to contact school and ensure that the teachers and other staff knew who Casey was and why she was a special case. It became very awkward when people Casey didn't know or recognize seemed to recognize her and act as though they knew all about her, and walked on eggshells around her, and continued all the way to middle school.

However, Reed Academy, being of higher standards, does not believe in making such accommodations for Casey, since they aren't disabled in the traditional sense, and they're trying to get in on athletic scholarship anyway. Her parents were devastated to hear the news, but the young pitcher herself was elated. No more hand-holding, no more weird people who already know who she is, and she still gets to play her favorite sport! This was a golden opportunity to start all over, make friends, and establish an identity that wasn't constantly confused with special needs people.

quote:

Name: Casey Jackson
Concept: Baseball Savant trying to reinvent themselves
Virtue: Courage
Vice: Rage
Arcana: Star

Attributes

Mental
Intelligence ●
Wits ●●●
Resolve ●●●

Physical
Strength ●●●
Dexterity ●●●
Stamina ●●

Social
Presence ●●
Manipulation ●
Composure ●●●

Skills (Specialties)

Mental
Academics ●
Computer
Crafts
Investigation ●
Medicine ●● (First Aid)
Occult
Politics
Science

Physical
Athletics ●●●● (Baseball)
Brawl
Drive
Firearms
Larceny ●
Stealth ●●
Survival ●
Weaponry ●●●

Social
Animal Ken ●●
Empathy ●
Expression
Intimidation ●●● (Direct Threats)
Persuasion
Socialize
Streetwise
Subterfuge ●

Merits

Fleet of Foot (●)
Tolerance for Biology (●)
Trained Observer (●●●)
Iron Stamina (●)
Interdisciplinary Study (Baseball) (●)

Willpower: 6/6

Aspirations

Hit a home run
Make a new friend
Get over the baggage from elementary and middle school

quote:

What is the worst thing Casey has ever done?
When Casey first tried out softball at elementary school, she was hooked on the sport. It came as a big disappointment to her when, after her parents started talking to her coaches, everything became condescendingly easy. Suddenly instead of answering pitches she was being given a tee. She despised that tee. Enough that, at at one point, she snuck into the gym supply room and shattered every single softball tee, as well as bending an aluminum bat and giving a good few whacks to the shins and knees of a member of the staff who tried to restrain her. Casey was sent home for the day, and it was during the following weekend that she got the diagnosis from a psychiatrist confirming her condition.

quote:

What is the worst thing Casey can imagine herself doing?
Casey still very vividly remembers that rampage in the gym supply room, and has broken objects in frustration before as well. However, that one outburst aside and a few failed attempts at charging someone, she's never actually taken out her frustrations on a person or animal. Casey imagines the worst she could ever do is severely injure someone with her favorite bat out of anger or frustration.

quote:

What is the worst thing she can imagine someone else doing?
The pitcher isn't stupid, she's aware of the looks she gets when she picks up a ball or bat, or any other object she could conceivably wield or throw. She's also aware that people can go out there using objects like this to go out and kill someone. Casey doesn't really look into that sort of thing, but she's pretty sure the worst thing someone could do is kill someone just so that they can steal their stuff.

quote:

What has Casey forgotten?
It was during her summer practice, the last semester before high school. She'd been working on controlling her fastball; she'd already had the speed, but it kept moving out of the strike zone. She had a pitch that she felt was perfect as she let it fly, but then something odd happened; rather than hitting the practice target, the ball bounced off of some invisible force and was covered in an odd black substance. She would later write it off as her accidentally throwing an unwashed ball.

quote:

What is the most traumatic thing that has happened to Casey?
That would be the time her parents tried to apply to have her considered disabled for the purposes of social security benefits. Sitting down at a large table in an unfamiliar office looking at a video screen of a judge asking questions to her parents and other people working the case on her behalf was very stressful, and after answering a few questions herself was asked to leave the room. She continued listening in, however, and got to hear from one of the folks making her case. According to these people and even her parents, outside of a potential sports career, they had very little in the way of career aspects or job opportunities, and were "highly unlikely to live completely normally." Her self-esteem and trust crumbled that day, and it's been a very slow process building it back up.

quote:

Which of the Major Arcana best suits Casey?
The Star represents hope, faith, courage, and a chance for new opportunities following a great hardship, just as The Star follows The Tower. Casey is attempting to regain her self-esteem, trust in her own abilities, and establish a new sense of self through this opportunity Reed Academy has given her. However, The Star reversed can also mean baggage, or being overwhelmed by the day to day life you were having no issue with prior. Casey needs to be able to put the past behind her and focus on the present if she wants to have a good future.

quote:

Who is an important figure in Casey's life?

That would be one Luis Zephyr. An aged, upper-class man with a passing affinity for sport, they showed up to one of Casey's Little League games and approached her after the game, asking if the young girl would be interested in pursuing this as a career. She was quite enthusiastic about saying "yes!" and every now and again as the years go by, Mr Zephyr would show up to pull the pitcher aside, congratulate her on her growth and success, and give a nice pep talk before leaving just as quickly as he appeared. In addition, it would seem that Mr Zephyr is at least partially behind why Casey was given the opportunity to enroll in Reed Academy.

quote:

What does Casey want more than anything in the world?
There is only one thing that Casey wants in this world above everything else: To be free to follow her dreams, regardless of what anyone says she can or can't do.

quote:

What type of game do you want/can you use Discord?
I absolutely can use Discord, and am open to any of those types of games. CST is my time zone and I can guarantee I'll be available from 7 PM onward but generally just poke me and I'll probably be around.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 24, 2017

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Color me interested. I did a tarot spread to generate my character, received Wheel of Fortune for my character.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I really like this idea. I think I'm going to rewrite my character from a previous Persona-based game. His Arcana was The Fool.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

...Okay, one more Persona app. I can do this.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Here's a Discord channel if you want to say hi: https://discord.gg/wmARs4u

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Lionel Caffrey, No One in Particular

"Hey. Ten bucks says I can guess at least five of the next people who get accepted."

The red haired girl on my left raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"I bet you I can guess the next five names they're calling out." The "acceptance ceremony" at Reed Academy is a goddamn travesty. I could live with the fact that corporate families like mine can just buy a place for their kids. Barely. But putting on this huge production to show the rest of the world they don't belong...gently caress. Makes me wanna punch someone in the face.

"I'm not a betting girl." She adjusted her bangs, which were covering the left side of her face.

I smirked and replied, "Jason O'Connor." A moment later, the Hunger Games reject on stage repeated the name. I explained, "His dad's on the board of directors at Ares International." Speaking of which, I just want to say that I tried to get in on my own. Reed has a music scholarship, and I practiced Chopin on the piano until I thought my fingers would fall off. Worked my way up to a decent GPA, too.

She looked surprised for just an instant, but said, "I'm not impressed."

"Eli Narumi." The guy called up "Molly Hale" instead. My neighbor smirked. I wasn't about to lose sleep over this, either. "Wouldja look at that. Someone who earned their place here." I thought I'd done the same. My performance for the admissions committee was the best I'd ever had. Then the old man said he'd pulled some strings at the Academy. Told me not to worry over getting accepted. Part of me wants to believe I didn't need his help. The rest knows the Caffrey family have been power players in LA since the United States was still a recent memory.

"Rosalind Caffrey." I sat up and waved to the bespectacled girl who was being given her acceptance letter. She beamed in response. "Peter Caffrey's kid. Need I say more?" The other teenager nodded, looking serious. I know why he wanted to make sure I got accepted. Same reason I've ever been given anything. I'm a bastard (literally). A black mark on House Caffrey's perfect record. They figure if they make sure I never have any reason to want...anything, I won't embarrass them. The hell with that!

If I had my choice, I'd still be living with Mom. Traveling the world and helping her work on her books. It's why I decided to attend the Academy. I want her to know I'll be okay, and I want to make her proud...wherever she is.

"Mathilda Kirsch. Lucky girl. She got adopted by an exec at Beacon Heavy Industries-" My audience of one turned and drove her fist into my jaw. As she did, I caught a glimpse of the huge burn scar under her bangs. "Ahhh! The gently caress?!" She then stood and headed toward the stage. Whoops. Guess that explains it.

quote:

"You should know, The Hanged Man is way less grim than it sounds. I mean, the card is still pretty grim, but it's not really meant to depict an execution. It's more like when Odin was pinned to that tree. Sacrificing himself for knowledge or a greater cause. The Hanged Man is a symbol of the promise I've made to myself. To prove I don't need my family's help to chase my goals. I don't want to by guided through life by people who are embarrassed by me. I want to be someone on my own terms and play music people would love, even if they didn't know who I was. I'm not afraid of the challenge. Fact is, I'm looking forward to it."

quote:

"Matt. That is, Mathilda Kirsch. The Goku to my Vegeta, and I couldn't give a drat about how geeky that sounds. We don't like each other, but we're both into music and martial arts. Our teachers say we're good at covering for each other's weaknesses. And I think they're right.

We probably would have gotten off on the wrong foot no matter how we met. Her guardian works for one of my father's main competitors. What's more, this lady really disagrees with how the Academy is run, and was thinking of telling Matt she couldn't apply. But she swore to prove how much she wanted it. Unlike me, Matt earned that scholarship. No wonder she punched me in the face after I made such an rear end of myself.

quote:

"All I want is someone to look at me without seeing Peter's bastard son. To know I can live without having to carry my family's baggage."

quote:

Yeah. I'd rather play in a PbP style game, but I'm sure I can make time for scheduled sessions. Also, I prefer text over voice.

quote:

Name: Lionel Caffrey
Concept: Illegitimate Scion Trying to Prove Himself
Virtue: Justice
Vice: Cruelty
Arcana: The Hanged Man

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●
    • Manipulation ●●
    • Composure ●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ● (Research)
    • Computer ●
    • Crafts
    • Investigation
    • Medicine
    • Occult ●●
    • Politics
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●●
    • Brawl ●●● (Asset)
    • Drive ●
    • Firearms
    • Larceny ●●
    • Stealth ●● (Urban)
    • Survival
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy ●
    • Expression ●●●● (Piano, Asset)
    • Intimidation
    • Persuasion
    • Socialize
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge ●●

Merits
  • Destiny ●●
  • Indomitable ●●
  • Resources ●
  • Professional Training (Musician) ●●
  • Contacts (Underground Music Scene, Free) ●●

Aspirations
  • Perform a concert with Lohengrin.
  • Make a concession to his family.
  • Find a place to genuinely call home.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 28, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hmph, you should consider yourself lucky, it is not often that I give others the privilege to speak with me. Who am I? Please, you know who I am, but just in case you've lived in a ditch your whole pitiful life, let me remind you; My name is Veronica Fairchild, and I am the rightful queen of Reed Academy.

You wish to know about my father? Why would I ever want to waste my breath talking about trash? My "father" is the most pathetic, spineless man I know. You think I'm being too harsh? Please, this is me being generous to him. Do you know how much my sister and I have suffered because of him? Do you know what he did, when the pressure became too much for him? He ran. He ran, and left my sister and I to fend for ourselves, like the spineless coward that he is. That "man," if you could call him that, is no father of mine.

The Fairchild name meant something at one point. It was a name that commanded authority, but then he ruined it by being a coward. He would let others influence his decisions. He would let everybody walk all over him like a human carpet. He would bow down to them, when they should be bowing down to him.

I swore to myself, on the night he ran, that I would never be as weak as was. I would restore the family name to what it once was, and I will bow down to nobody.

So I fought. I fought long, and hard, clawing my way out of the ditch he left us in, until I, the girl who started all the way at the bottom, became the ruler of this school. Those who once treated me with scorn now treat me with respect, and those who once plotted against me are now licking at my heels, begging for my forgiveness. They all treat me like royalty, as they should.

...But I am not the only queen in this school. There is another, but she is nothing more than a pretender. A fake. Someone who is not worthy of sitting on the throne. I will take that crown from her head, and make her bow before me. There is only one person worthy enough of being queen in this school, and that person is me.

quote:

You already know the answer to this; it is the Empress, of course. What other Arcana would be more fitting for a queen?

quote:

My little sister, Erika, is the most important person in the world to me, and I trust her more than anyone else. If anyone even dares harm my sister, then I will make hell rain down upon them. I will crush them beneath my heels, and make them beg me for forgiveness. I will make them regret the day they have ever been born!

quote:

Power. The power to rule, unopposed. The power to restore the Fairchild family name to what it once was. The power to give my sister and I the life we deserve. That is what I want. Now, are we done? I have important business to take care of, and I've wasted enough of my precious time on you.

quote:

Discord games are fine with me, but I prefer asynchronous.

quote:

Name: Veronica Fairchild
Concept: The Undisputed Queen of Reed Academy
Virtue: Ambitious
Vice: Cruel
Arcana: The Empress

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●
    • Resolve ●●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●●
    • Manipulation ●●●
    • Composure ●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●●
    • Computer ●
    • Crafts
    • Investigation
    • Medicine
    • Occult ●
    • Politics (Local) ●●●
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●
    • Brawl ●●
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy
    • Expression
    • Intimidation (Veiled Threats) ●●●●
    • Persuasion ●●
    • Socialize ●●
    • Streetwise
    • Subterfuge (Detecting Lies) ●●●

Merits
  • Retainer ●●●
  • Status ●●
  • Striking Looks ●●

Aspirations
  • Short-Term Aspiration: Secure my power in the Academy.
  • Short-Term Aspiration: Dethrone the fake queen, making myself the one true queen.
  • Long-Term Aspiration: Restore the Fairchild name to what it once was.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 2, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Interested, I'll see if I can find the time. Looking to pick up The World at the moment.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 27, 2017

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Even in the world of the rich, there are those who are not content with all they have. The greedy, who look for ever more than what they already have. The callous, who look for cheap thrills in the empty void of money that surrounds them. And a few, very few, who look for something more...wholesome. A purpose, something beyond simple riches and thrills. Delilah Hobbs - Del, to her friends - is one of those. The only problem being is that she doesn't know what that purpose is.

Del is not what one would generally consider a 'normal' person. She balks at any form of authority, and more specifically authority that tries to restrict her freedom of being. She is quick to start a fight, and quicker still to spout a curse, without care for the consequence. Her parents panic at her chosen form of self-expression; beyond the scars she's gotten from a few particularly nasty fights, she's employed her trust fund to pay for several intricate tattoos and piercings.

But despite her eagerness to break from the mold, behind her rebellion hides a lost girl, just trying to find her place in the world. She's plenty smart - despite her attitude, she takes all the advantage she can of the school and everything it teaches her. She has a dedicated sense of right and wrong - although not always in line with the law, whether it be the school's or the government's. She despises bullies and people who think their money can buy them everything, and she's quick to jump to the defense of those less fortunate. But for all that, her true calling still eludes her - and she's desperate to find it.

Which of the Major Arcana best exemplifies you? Delilah's penchant for solitude and her constant questioning of herself and her place make her a perfect fit for the Hermit. She absorbs knowledge like a sponge, but still finds little in the way of the wisdom she so desperately seeks. All her teachers have failed to satisfy her quest for truth in this regard. Maybe, however, all she needs is a different kind of lesson.

Who is an important person in your life? One of Del's few true friends is Jackie Robinson. Though less of an extreme rebel than Del herself, Jackie is quite the smartass, and hardly ever sees a situation that's not improved by giving people lip. The two bonded over their shared distaste for the petty, the greedy and the heartless, but Jackie still has a career lined up and is working towards it - unlike Delilah, Jackie knows exactly where to go.

What do you want more than anything in the world? All she ever wanted was a sense of purpose. Delilah never fit in with the crowd, and has always felt lost. Her heart's desire is simply to find a place where she can feel comfortable, something that feels right.

Are you okay with playing over Discord? As long as the play remains asynchronous, I'm cool. I can not attend live sessions, unfortunately. My schedule is too erratic; and furthermore, I'm in Europe, so timezones are the enemy.

pre:

Name: Delilah "Del" Hobbs
Concept: Rebel Without A Cause
Virtue: Justice
Vice: Wrath
Arcana: Hermit

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ● ● ●
    • Wits ● ●
    • Resolve ● ● ●
  • Physical
    • Strength ● ●
    • Dexterity ● ●
    • Stamina ● ● ●
  • Social
    • Presence ● ●
    • Manipulation ●
    • Composure ● ● ●
Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ● ● ●
    • Computer ● ●
    • Crafts
    • Investigation
    • Medicine ● ● ●
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science ● ● ● (Physics)
  • Physical
    • Athletics ● ● (Climbing)
    • Brawl ● ●
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny ●
    • Stealth
    • Survival
    • Weaponry ● ● (Knives)
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy
    • Expression
    • Intimidation ● ●
    • Persuasion
    • Socialize
    • Streetwise ●
    • Subterfuge ●
Merits
  • Common Sense (● ● ●)
  • Parkour (● ●)
  • Resources (● ●)
Health: 0/8 Willpower: 6/6 Aspirations
  • Get a new tattoo.
  • Go somewhere she's not supposed to.
  • Find her place in the world.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 25, 2017

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Music: The Poem of Everyone's Souls

You are somewhere deeper than dreaming.

You’re sitting in an elegantly appointed theater: mahogany and ruffles, fleur-de-lis wallpaper, velvet curtains. The lights are down, but you can see that all of the other seats are filled by finely-dressed but faceless puppets with silvery strings reaching up to the ceiling. You’re looking pretty sharp yourself. There are no strings on you.

As you look around, a handful of the seats are filled by other people with no strings. You might even recognize some of them. It’s rude to talk to them during a performance though, and the show is about to begin.

The curtains part, the piano plays, and a spotlight reveals your host.

(source)

They're dressed like a classic stage magician in a tuxedo and top hat and gloves and cape and domino mask, wielding a wand with the grace of a conductor's baton. It’s not clear if your host is a man or a woman, but they’re dressed to the nines. The silver strings make the puppets clap as the host takes a bow and turns their wand into a bouquet of flowers.

“Welcome to the Château Enchanté. I am your mistress and master of ceremonies, your maître d' of mysticism and mystery, your morning star marking the way out of a meretricious mundane world that would madden, mislead, and misapply your worth, and most concisely the magnificent magician whom you may call M.”

That’s a mouthful. No wonder the audience is applauding.

The spotlight expands to a high-backed chair in the middle of the stage. M shuffles a deck of cards. “To begin, I will need some volunteers from the audience. Who want to be part of the show?”

None of the puppets move while the host scans the audience. Finally M looks at you, smiles, and tosses you a rose from the bouquet. “You look absolutely perfect.”

A spotlight shines on you and follows you up to the stage. M winks at you under the mask and pats your shoulder before turning back to the audience. “Now, then. Have you and I ever met before?

You haven’t, have you? M keeps shuffling. Up close, you see that they're not playing cards, but Tarot. The magician theatrically covers their eyes and offers you the deck. “Pick a card, any card. Take a peek. Got it? Keep it hidden, and whatever you do, don’t show anyone. Now, then. Have a seat. I have some questions for you. And if you like, you may ask any questions for me. You have my word that I will answer truly, if not fully.”

Tricky posted:

Alexa Merrill, Student Council President

How does Nathan feel about you?

What do your parents say about Baron, that Vinewood big shot who’s running for President?

If you had absolute freedom, what would you choose to do with it?

TheFireMagi posted:

Mathias Wilder

What opportunity did you pass up because you couldn’t make time for it?

What’s your favorite anime? What’s your favorite play?

Who do you know that was shunned because of what they believe?

Unknown Quantity posted:

Casey Jackson, of the Star Arcana

How do you get along with the other players and coaches at Reed?

What’s the furthest you’ve ever traveled for an away game? Rural California? Las Vegas? Across the border in Mexico, or Cascadia, or the Heartland State? Or just the other side of town?

How far do you want your dream to take you? Team captain? Professional leagues? The Greatest Ever?

DeTosh posted:

Lionel Caffrey, No One in Particular

How involved is your old man in your life right now? Dinner every night, or lunch every other weekend? What's your living situation?

What’s an act in the underground music scene that you always make time to see live?

When you fail, is it your fault, or your family's?

Wahad posted:

pre:
Delilah "Del" Hobbs

Who’s an authority figure at Reed Academy that embodies what you despise?

Where have you gotten into in LA that you weren’t supposed to be?

Considering that the status quo has given you such a comfortable life, are you rebelling against an unjust society, or your parents?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Casey Jackson

The young pitcher is confused at their surroundings. This is not the grassy training field, nor outer space, nor is it even a giant diamond. Moreover, these aren't her pajamas. This silk is kinda scratchy and uncomfortable. Oh! But there's a magician here. At least, they think it's a magician.Oh! Yeah, they just confirmed themselves to be a magician, she was right, good. But a magician called M? That's weird. Is it part of their act? Do you dial M for Magician? Thoughts keep racing through Casey's head until a rose comes flying at her. Without thinking she catches it and then looks at it. Aren't roses dangerous to throw since they've got thorns? Oh, no, they've trimmed those off, she guesses it's okay then. Not quite realizing the context for why she got a rose thrown at her, but seeing M's expectant expression and the rest of the crowd, she stands up, then kind of shuffles her way up to the stage.

Mysterious long-nosed magician M posted:

Have we ever met before?

"Um...I don't think so? Unless you were Mercuria the Magnificent from my 6th birthday. But Mercuria had a cape with a blue lining, and yours is red, so it probably wasn't you..."

She picks up a card. She looks confused at what she drew, and frowns a little at the implications of it, but puts the card in one of the pockets on this suit she's wearing.

How do you get along with the other players and coaches at Reed?

"Oh, they, um..." She looks around to see if any of them are there. Finding none, she continues. "It's a little awkward, because we have to have separate locker rooms, so I'm kind of all alone after a game and before practice, but they really appreciate me being there. I get invited to sit with them and the other sports team members at lunch, and while I don't really get a lot of the lingo they're talking about, they try to make me feel welcome as best they can, even if it can get crowded and rowdy at their tables. As for the coaches..."

She puts a hand to her chin in a thoughtful expression, trying to figure out how she's going to best express what comes next. After about a solid minute of pondering, she continues. "I'm not sure how I feel about how they want me to play. They've been really emphasizing this signal about 'scaring the batters' by getting real close with my fastball, and sometimes I wonder if they still know it's just a game. I mean, I get that we want to win championships, but that doesn't mean we should be mean about it, right?"

What’s the furthest you’ve ever traveled for an away game? Rural California? Las Vegas? Across the border in Mexico, or Cascadia, or the Heartland State? Or just the other side of town?

"Well, in the Little League, we got to State level, but got knocked out of the Regionals because of the rules on pitchers. You see, I could only throw 75 pitches per game, and after 40 pitches you have to start taking days off to rest. Since I kept having to take three or four days off to rest between games, that meant my team would be without me for every other game. We got to face other folks from the rest of the Pacific States, but since we didn't win Regional we couldn't go on to Nationals. I can pitch all I want in the high school leagues though!"

How far do you want your dream to take you? Team captain? Professional leagues? The Greatest Ever?

She smiles. Finally, a very easy question! "Oh! I can answer that one real fast! I want to be the in the Baseball Hall of Fame, alongside all of the other greats. I have to make it to the major leagues before then, but if I do real well here, everyone says I could get picked up by a college team! And then once I graduate college and get a major, I go to Majors!" She giggles a bit at the rather shallow humor she just made.

"Oh! But, um...I have a question for you now, if I can ask it. Where am I and where's my other stuff? It's pretty important that I don't lose track of anything. I know you said it's a..." she takes several stabs at trying to say the name M gave the place, but continuously fails to do so before sighing. "It's a thingy, but what is this thingy? Where is it in relation to the rest of the city?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Delilah Hobbs

Delilah keeps tensely quiet as she's herded onto the stage. In this place where everyone and everything is so finely decorated, she stands out like a sore thumb with her flaming red hair and eye-catching piercings. It makes her nervous, but all that she lets show that way is her tightly-set jaw - and a twitch in the corner of her mouth, occasionally pulling at the scar that covers her cheek. She draws the card with a stiff movement, and is then surprised with...questions? "Wait a second...what's going on here?"

Kellsterik posted:

Have we ever met before?

"...no! Who are you, anyway?" She clenches her fists, but her posture remains straight while her eyes scan the surroundings for a way out. This was weird. Really weird.

Kellsterik posted:

Who’s an authority figure at Reed Academy that embodies what you despise?

The question catches her off-guard. Her attention focuses on M again, her lip curling up a little more in involuntary anger. "What business is that of yours, anyway?" But somebody else starts answering questions when Delilah is still stewing in her anger, and she lets out a heavy breath. When she speaks again, it's a little more subdued. "Fine, I'll play along."

"Dean Richards. That's not his name, that's his title. He's a greedy little poo poo - well, not so little, considering he probably weighs about 300 pounds. All he cares about is making sure there's no 'trouble' in the school. You know what that means? It means you fall in line, you pass your classes, and you remain quiet. If the students don't make any trouble, and continue to be good boys and girls so they graduate without problems. More kids graduate, more money goes to the school. More money goes to the school, more money the dean gets; more money he gets, the more he continues his tyranny, because he's never satisfied. He'll keep milking his little career factory until his dying breath. The school code is law, according to him, and even the tiniest transgression probably causes his blood pressure to skyrocket and a vein to pop in his bloated face. 'Improper attire'. 'Inappropriate behaviour'. 'Unprovoked violence'. The list goes on. Must've been called down to his office a hundred times now. But my parents ...have some sway, so he can't expel me. Doesn't mean he can't make my life hell in other ways, though. I'll be glad to be rid of his gross face in a few months when I'm out of there."

Kellsterik posted:

Where have you gotten into in LA that you weren’t supposed to be?

"Plenty of abandoned warehouses and factories. I like to run around and climb stuff. Gives you a real sense of freedom, you know? Not being held back by walls just because they're there." It's the first time Delilah actually smiles. The memory is a good one for her. "But the best place I've ever gone was the top of the Marquis Theater. You know, the one over on 113th, with the big statues on the facade? There was this alleyway, and something had stacked up just right, which allowed me to grab a ledge, and it was all uphill from there. I was really in the zone, I was moving like a knife through butter. Felt great." She rubs the back of her head. "Of course, when the first passerby spotted me up there, they called the police thinking I was a jumper. Got grounded for a month after that."

Kellsterik posted:

Considering that the status quo has given you such a comfortable life, are you rebelling against an unjust society, or your parents?

Del's anger returns in full force, and she points an accusatory finger at M. "Hey, back off, you hocus-pocus hokey! I don't know who you think you are, insinuating things like that, but my parents are good people, alright? I mean, we have our differences and our arguments, yeah - they're a little old fashioned, and they want me to settle down, get married, have kids, like normal people do..." She pauses, but her angry expression doesn't abate. "But they want me to be happy. Just because they don't understand why I don't know what I'm looking for doesn't mean they don't support me. And they'd do that even if they weren't rich! My daddy taught me to always do what was right, even if it wasn't easy. And my mom taught me to follow my heart, even if probably she didn't expect it to turn out this way. The money doesn't mean a drat, don't you get that? I don't need it. But I have it, so I'm gonna use it however I can. To help people, if possible. And my parents are going to back me up every step of the way, 'cause that's what parents are supposed to do!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alexa Merrill

It takes a few moments before I cotton on to the fact that this... Probably isn't a dream? Or if it is, it promises to be one of those really weird ones that I remember for years. Like that one I had when I was a little kid where my father turned into a tree. It was kind of traumatic, really. I look around as the lights dim and see that I'm far from alone. There's a bunch of puppets in suits and dresses — very weird — and then there are a few others. They look... Well, almost familiar. Everything here feels so strange that I can't imagine anyone I know showing up. I can almost hear my mother talking about how no proper person would be caught dead in a place like this. She never did like puppets.

Of course, I look down at myself. I'm in a black evening gown. Floor-length, sleeveless. It's very flattering. It's also the dress I was wearing when I first met Nathan at Merrill Heavy Industries' holiday party. I haven't thought about that in months. Why would I be wearing it now? The magician takes the stage and the show begins. There'll be time to figure this out later, I guess. It would be rude to ignore the show.

I blink in surprise as the rose lands in my lap. I had seen it coming towards me, I suppose, but a part of me thought that it was meant for someone else. I suck in a deep breath, then begin picking my way towards the stage. Inspecting the rose as I walk, I can't help but notice that it's a very vivid orange. Not a traditional color for a magic show, was it? Then again, this hardly seemed like a traditional magic show. I take the stairs, mindful of my attire, and come to a stop next to the others. I pull my card, just like M asks, and take a careful look at it. Huh. That card again...

quote:

Have we ever met before?

The word 'no' almost bubbles out of my mouth without a second thought, but I stand there wordlessly for a moment instead. This magician, this place... I've never been here before in my life, I'm sure of it. Even so. There's some itch in the back of my mind that's practically screaming 'yes.' I look to the left and the right, but I don't see anyone thinking half as hard about this. Or, I guess, they're a hell of a lot better at hiding their indecision. Maybe I'm just imagining things?

I finally say, "I don't know. It feels like I know you from somewhere, but... Where would we have met?"

quote:

How does Nathan feel about you?

Oof. Not pulling any punches, I see. I hide the gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach behind a smile and say, "Well, things are going great. We've been dating for almost a year now. We met at a holiday party thrown by my father's corporation and hit it off right away. It's pretty rare that I run into people my age there. I was expecting a night full of listening to people complain about the state of politics and tax reform — I'm sure you've heard that sort of thing before — and I ended up talking to Nathan instead. He's really charming when he puts his mind to it."

I stop talking for a moment and the silence begins to stretch. It looked like this M wasn't buying my deflection.

I let out a deep sigh, my smile fading, "I don't know. Not really. He does everything right. He's funny, spontaneous (but not too spontaneous), and knows just what to say. But... I can see it in his eyes. Not always, but it peeks through. I don't know if he knows it, but all of this is all just an act. He's an incredible actor playing the part of the perfect boyfriend. I just... I don't know why. I know why I keep up my end of the charade, of course, given my father's... encouragement in the matter, but what does he get out of it all?"

Running my hand through my hair, I continue, "It's weird, right? We've talked about... You know. What happens after we graduate. But I don't remember ever talking to him about how we really feel. I've heard him tell me that he loves me dozens of times. Hundreds, even. I don't really remember him ever telling me why he does. What does he like about me? Does he really love me? I just... I wish I knew how he really felt. I know how I feel, but... Well. I suppose it won't really matter soon enough."

quote:

What do your parents say about Baron, that Vinewood big shot who’s running for President?

I let out a relieved sigh. Oh, good. This wasn't nearly as distressing a subject. I say, "They're a little split on him. Not a real point of contention between them, you know, but his background is a little... divisive. Baron is on the NatDem ticket, of course, and he's painted himself as a kinder, more gentle face for the National Democrats. For a politician, he's a pretty compelling speaker. Of course, it's all just talk. You look at his actual proposals and it's still the same regressive policies." I shake my head. "My mother has repeatedly expressed her admiration of how he's worked his way up from nothing. I think she sees — or is projecting — herself onto him. Her political dreams and aspirations. My father doesn't like him. Baron doesn't dress the right way, act the right way, or come from the right background. He's not old money, essentially."

"Neither of them seem concerned with the damage he stands to do to the Pacific States. My father hears promises of corporate tax cuts and will grumble his way to the polls. My mother is a hard-line National Democrat and has been since before she ran for governor. If you ask me, we could use some new ideas. Fresh ideas. The kind of ideas that would actually help people. The Grand Unionists are hardly any better. The Reformation League is a joke, structurally speaking, but at least they present policies that might help people. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Reformers pick up a few seats in the last midterm."

quote:

If you had absolute freedom, what would you choose to do with it?

I stand in silence, my face thoughtful. What would I do with it...? I... I hadn't thought that far ahead. I've just come to notice the gilded cage that envelops me. I just want out. But what would I do after that? I venture, "Well, I'd like to travel... Outside the Pacific States. Cascadia has some beautiful parks." That's what I'd do with absolute freedom? That can't be right. That sounds like a vacation. "But... Uhm, I guess I want to help people. I'm pretty good at talking things through with people. Mediating student disputes is part of my job with the student council, after all, so I've had quite a bit of practice. That's not quite what I mean, though. Not just... smoothing things over with words. I guess I want to give people something to believe in."

"That sounds a little crazy, right? I'm not even sure how I'd go about it. I suppose politics is an option, but that seems like its own set of chains." I scratch the back of my neck, looking a bit chagrined. "I'm sorry if you were hoping for more specifics. I think I just need to... You know. Get out there and try everything."

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Lionel Caffrey

Lionel never liked wearing suits. They were made of materials that didn't breathe and absorbed liquids like a sponge. More importantly, he had come to associate formal clothing with some very unpleasant memories. But the three-piece affair he had on was comfortable, not to mention tailored. Admittedly, he wouldn't have gone for the bow tie.

Manners be damned, he had intended on asking one of his classmates how they got here. This was all too real to be just a dream. Too fantastic, even. As soon as the show started, however, Lionel’s gaze shot to the person on stage. Somehow, they managed to make that monologue charming instead of corny. He applauded lightly.

quote:

Have you and I ever met before?

His attention was torn away by the rose M gave him. “No,” he answers. “I’m pretty sure I’d remember if we met. But I’ve seen one of these before.” Lionel turns the flower in his hand, watching the petals shift from red to white and back with wonder in his eyes. “A courtyard full of them, actually. The whole place was made of this silver crystal. And I was playing a piano for an audience of nobles. Uh-” He hastily corrects himself. “I mean, at first, I was playing for some judges at my school. Then…I wasn’t.”

Lionel barely gives the card a glance. It was just as he expected. He pockets it with a smirk. As M brings up the questions, his confidence wavers slightly. With a deep breath, he answers, “Deal. Ask your questions.”

quote:

How involved is your old man in your life right now? Dinner every night, or lunch every other weekend? What's your living situation?

Lionel snorts. “Should have seen that one coming.” He crosses his arms, wishing he had something to lean on. “He tries. I'd go as far as to say he cares. Just not enough that he won't go around my back to my teachers for a monthly status report. By the way, it’s dinner every other weekend, and my choice every other of those times. Once,” He gives M a wolfish grin, “I made him eat my cooking.” Lionel chuckles. “Fried rice turned out okay, though. Sometimes, he asks if I want to see a movie or something. I always say no. He’d be gone before the credits started rolling.”

“I live in an apartment building owned by an old friend of my father. That way, the family can keep tabs on me without exposing themselves to my grossness. I made it drat clear that if they tried to make a gilded cage out of it, they’d have a prison break on their hands.” He smiles faintly. “Ros wanted me to live at the house. She even tried to talk her parents into it. In the end, I also turned her down. Believe me, it means the world that she even tried. But my father and I don’t get along. Maybe we never will.”

quote:

What’s an act in the underground music scene that you always make time to see live?

He brightens up a little as he answers, “Lohengrin. You can’t ask them who they truly are or where they’re going, but you’re always welcome to come along for the ride. Percival, Bors, and Galahad are the wise and ancient masters who taught me the fine art of getting myself into trouble. Also, music.” With a laugh, Lionel continues. “Seriously. Those are their stage names. Even I’m not allowed to ask for their real ones. They’re a prog band, and the main act at The Crossroads club.”

“Percival, though, he has some history with the music department at Reed. It looked like he was friends with some of the teachers. He’s classically trained, too. During my first year at the Academy, he caught me practicing and gave me a few pointers. Eventually, I became his sort of…apprentice. I owe him a lot. All three of them, really. That’s why I try to tell people about Lohengrin whenever I get the chance.”

“Right now, I'm working on getting good enough to join them for a show.”

quote:

When you fail, is it your fault, or your family's?

"Mine.” His grin contains the beginnings of a snarl as he replies, “Mine, all mine. You can call me a greedy jackass if you want, but I deserve the right to be a person instead of a Caffrey in exile. I deserve to be able to get up on stage and bomb like my piano is rigged with cartoon dynamite, if I’m not actually good enough. I am owed that right, goddammit. And anyone who says different can gently caress right off!" Lionel takes another deep breath. "Okay. There's my end of the bargain. Now it's your turn."

He looks back at the rose. "You probably know about my little concert for the admissions committee. At the time, there was a woman in the audience with them. Brown hair like mine. Green eyes. When I took a detour to Avalon or Camelot or whatever, she was still there. She wasn't gone until I was back in LA, finishing my piece. What was her name?" Lionel doubted he was going to like the answer, whether it was Nina Fletcher or not. His mother was dead. So who was the woman in the audience?

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 26, 2017

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Hiroko Kazehawa, Definitely Not A Problem Student

“I know what they say about me. ‘Hiroko is just a punk.’ ‘Hiroko’s going to break your nose if she finds out you said that.’ ‘Hiroko Kazehawa is never going to amount to anything.’ I’m sick of it. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve earned that reputation. I’d just like to get away from it for once.

That’s why getting admitted to the Reed Academy is such a good opportunity for me. Nobody there actually knows me. Hiroko Kazehawa could be anyone, and I’m going to make sure the Hiroko that shows up to school is a good one. New clothes. New glasses. New haircut. No more fights after school, no more skipping, no more visits to the principal’s office. This is a fresh start. All I need to do is take advantage of it."

quote:

Name: Hiroko Kazehawa
Concept: Definitely Not A Violent Punk
Virtue: Generosity
Vice: Vindictive
Arcana: Judgement

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●
    • Wits ●●●
    • Resolve ●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●●●
    • Dexterity ●●
    • Stamina ●●●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●
    • Manipulation ●●
    • Composure ●●●

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics ●
    • Computer ●
    • Crafts
    • Investigation ●●
    • Medicine
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science
  • Physical
    • Athletics ●●●
    • Brawl ●●●
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny ●●
    • Stealth ● (Crowds)
    • Survival
    • Weaponry ●●
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy
    • Expression
    • Intimidation ●●● (Staredown)
    • Persuasion
    • Socialize
    • Streetwise ●●
    • Subterfuge ●● (Looking Innocent)

Merits
  • Alternate Identity (●) (An angry punk with a fake ID that says she’s 22)
  • Street Fighting (●●)
  • Professional Training (●●) (Criminal: Larceny, Streetwise)
  • Contacts* (●●) ( My Old/Former(?) Friends, Actual Criminals)
  • Resources (●)
  • Takes One To Know One (●)

Health: Wounds/8
Willpower: Current/5

Aspirations
  • Hear a rumor about my past
  • Start a new gang group of peers I can rely on
  • Achieve a respectable position in a student organization

quote:

“You know that stuff’s fake, right?”

I’m mostly focusing on Judgement as a major, self-directed change for the better, with the Reed Academy and the promise of a more respectable future serving as Paradise in this metaphor. This does mean that Death’s focus on change would apply just as well, but that’s a discussion for another time.

quote:

“Why is Mr Aquino here? I know he said he was moving to another school last year, but of all the schools why did he have to come to this one? He gave me detention so many times at my old school, there’s no way he won’t recognize me. Hell, I haven’t even redyed my hair, of course he’s going to recognize me! I’m just… No, no, it’s fine. I’m not in any of his math classes, all I need to do is avoid him and he won’t tell anyone what I’ve done. It’ll be fine.”

quote:

“Is a little respect that I don’t need to beat out of someone too much to ask for? Because I sure haven’t gotten any of it so far.”

quote:

Honestly, I’d much rather play a game on Discord than on SA. Either asynchronous or scheduled text games are good with me. I can technically do voice chat too, but I’d really rather not.

quote:

“Have you and I ever met before?”
“So, a few months back a friend of mine got a fake ID and decided to put it to good use. She goes to a club, and the bouncer turns her away at the door. But she’s not going to give up that easily, so she goes to another club. She goes up, the bouncer turns her away. Now she’s getting mad. Screw going in the front door this time, she’s going to sneak in the back and she’s going to buy herself a drink with this drat ID and she’s going to have a good time. She would have made it to the dance floor too, if this masked magician didn’t grab her shoulder and tell her she ‘could attend the party in good time’. Then she got thrown out and she went home angry. Not a great story, but you’re the one who asked for it.

Just remember, that story was about my friend. We haven’t met, got it?”

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Mathias Wilder

I find myself in a theater, but not one I’ve ever performed in, or seen a performance from. A beautiful place, with an actor that knew how to work the spotlight. It was tempting to join in on the applause, for if nothing else, I was one who could appreciate someone going through a line like that without a slip of the tongue. Yet something about the whole affair was off-putting, even beyond the faceless crowd. Faceless. Who wanted a crowd like that? It was seeing eyes light up, brows being raised, mouths widening in shock that made the performance worth it. Yeah, it was no good, no good at all. Didn’t matter how lively you acted, how brightly you shone, if there was nothing or no one to react to. In that case, I thought as I caught the rose, why not I?

“Part of the show, was it? Can’t really refuse that, now can I?”

I consider tucking the flower between my teeth as I head up onto the stage, before deciding that’s a little too much, even for me. At least, too much when I wasn’t the one playing the lead. Perhaps in another time, another place, I would have done such a thing. Not now, however. Now, I turned to the one calling themselves M, preparing myself to improvise...

quote:

...though I have to force down the instinct to cringe almost immediately. Come now, I wanted to scream, that was the wrong question to ask. If I could say no and end the conversation immediately, just like that, it was absolutely no good, no good at all. Maybe I had mistaken an amateur for a professional. Or maybe, some part of me was whispering, this was more than just a performance. A genuine question, not an act. What was the purpose then, if this was true? No time to worry about that, I thought, because the show must go on.

“Afraid not, M, although I hafta admit I doubted myself for a second, ‘cause I’ve seen more than a few guys and gals with a similar getup to yours.” Slouching down in my seat with a fist to my chin, I grin at M and continue, “Questions, huh? Ask away. I don’t have too much to hide.”

quote:

What opportunity did you pass up because you couldn’t make time for it?

Huh. That wasn’t really what I was expecting when M mentioned questions. An opportunity? Honestly speaking, I probably missed more than a few. Maybe even ones that I didn’t even know existed. But if we were talking about ones that I did know about, well then, the one that came to mind before anything else was…

“...actually, about a month before school started, my parents intended to take me out to the ol’ Big Apple, right on down to Broadway. Never gotten a chance to visit in person, see, but they figured, ‘Hey, Mathias is entering high school this year, why not give him a real treat to celebrate?’ Sweet folks, my ma and pa. All sounds good, yeah? But, uh, problem was that the whole she-bang was meant to be a surprise for me. And when I’m not in the know about what’s on my schedule, I tend to fill the thing out.”

I pause, looking back out at the audience. It was strange. All this time, I’d been keeping my little side hobby a secret, but here I felt… open? Maybe I was just drunk off the atmosphere. Whatever the case, I went on to say,

“See, at the time, I’d been involved in this sort of, uh, promotion deal. Wasn’t really getting paid much for it, honestly, since the show itself was pretty small-time. But I was a fan from what I’d seen, and what the heck, free publicity, yeah? So I agreed to cosplay the main lead at this year’s Expo and help spread the word… which ended up overlapping with my parent’s travel plans. Look on my face when they told me the ticket date, and the look on their faces when I told them I couldn’t make it work. And yeah, it might sound crazy, giving up a Broadway show and a rare chance to hang with your folks to put on a costume for a few days. But I had made an agreement, and I hate backing out when my rep’s on the line.”

quote:

What’s your favorite anime? What’s your favorite play?

Seriously, what the heck were these questions? I mean, I suppose this one wasn’t really that weird, all things considered, but it just made me feel like M here had a real solid grasp on me. And I didn’t like it, not at all, at least not when I didn’t know a thing about them in return. Still… it wasn’t often I got a venue to rant about this sort of thing, so why not. Maybe I’d even hook in a few converts or something while I was here.

“My favorites, eh? Come on now, that’s like choosing between children! Okay, okay, maybe not that severe, but it’s pretty close. Mmm, for anime… ‘Rotten Ringo-chan’ has been pretty good, but I kind of don’t like the cast besides Ringo… ‘Monsteraid’ started off strong, yet the last few episodes have been… man, this is rough. Oh! All right, I dunno ‘bout favorite of all time, but I’ve always been a fan of ‘Sparkling Princess Mary’! Mahou shoujo isn’t normally my genre of choice, but SPM totally just caught my heart with its overwhelmingly sweet lead, the unexpected complexity of the characters, the concept that absolutely shouldn’t work about bringing back the spirit of an old French queen… but man, it just hits all the right notes for me! Everyone even gets a happy ending, though believe me when I say they worked for it. Of course, that’s why I found it satisfying. Who cares about happily ever after without a convincing struggle?”

“As for my favorite play… sheesh, there’s a lot of good ones there too. Personally, though, I got a soft spot for ‘All the King’s Men.” Knights and chivalry and all that have a special place in my heart, despite actual knights being pretty much nothing at all like how we romanticize them. Plus, the way everyone in the royal court is trying to live up to their own understanding of their dead king’s ideals is… people are complicated creatures, yeah? Even when we want the same things, the way we’ll often fight each other to do it our own way is just... well, it’s just how we are, I guess. I’m no different in that regard, heh. Won’t go as far as to say ‘my way or the highway,’ but I can be stubborn when I have to.”

quote:

Who do you know that was shunned because of what they believe?

Another question, this one less personal. Sort of. It’s not about me, at least, or that’s how it seems at first glance. Yet somehow, I got the impression there was more to it as well. Or I could just be paranoid. One of the two. Which was more likely, well, who knew? Didn’t matter much, really. What did was how to answer this particular inquiry. Someone I knew that was shunned? No one immediately came to mind. I mean, you’ve always got dissenting opinions, plenty of arguments, but shunned? Obviously they were out there, but if we were speaking about someone I knew, then…

“...well, I dunno if I’d call it shunning exactly, but I guess I’d have to say Mr. Whittaker. He was a professor of mine back in middle school. English teacher, to be specific. Man, did that guy know his literature. Might’ve been seventy plus, but the old man’s memory was sharper than any of us kids, least when it came to lines and passages. I even went to him for help here and there, sometimes just to chat.” I sigh, rear back in my chair. “Thing is though, is that he was very, hm... old-fashioned? Traditional? ...Had some, uh, disagreeable views on anything that he didn’t consider within the ‘norm.’ I was a favorite of his, it seems, so I usually wasn’t picked out.”

“But I’d heard the stories, of students getting called up after class and getting chewed out for this reason or that. Pretty much none of us kids had a good thing to say about him, far as I could tell. So, some wise bunch apparently figured, why not get some payback? More than a few pranks started to get played over the school year, and eventually… eventually there’s a level where you can’t really call it a prank anymore, that’s all I’ll say. I dunno how I feel about him, looking back. Lotta the opinionated stuff that came out of his mouth, we never saw eye to eye on. But he was a solid teacher underneath it all, and he was fun to be around when he wasn’t putting both feet in his mouth. Yeah, I guess the best way to put is, I liked Mr. Whittaker. At the same time, I hated him, and was both happy and sad when he ended up quitting. Funny how that worked out.”

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

"You know that stuff's fake, right?"

M rolls their eyes behind the mask, pshaw, and tosses the cards over their shoulder without a care. "Completely fake. Parlor tricks. Made up by charlatans to sell to Fools."

Their other hand, hidden behind their back, produces the full deck again. It's perfectly shuffled. "But it's also real. I have questions for you."

What's your relationship with your family?

When you tell people you want to be a better person, are you lying?

What have you done that makes you worthy of respect?

TheFireMagi posted:

"Personally, though, I got a soft spot for "All the King's Men." Knights and chivalry and all that have a special place in my heart, despite actual knights being pretty much nothing at all like how we romanticize them. Plus, the way everyone in the royal court is trying to live up to their own understanding of their dead king's ideals is-"

M gets unusually attentive during Mathias' answer. Their stage presence melts a little. It looks like the magician is about to cry.

quote:

"people are complicated creatures, yeah?"

M covers their mouth and nods. They squeeze Mathias' shoulder and tousle his hair a bit, like they're fumbling for some kind of paternal/maternal instinct. Quietly: "This one has a good heart."

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Oh! But, um...I have a question for you now, if I can ask it. Where am I and where's my other stuff? It's pretty important that I don't lose track of anything. I know you said it's a..." she takes several stabs at trying to say the name M gave the place, but continuously fails to do so before sighing. "It's a thingy, but what is this thingy? Where is it in relation to the rest of the city?"

Wahad posted:

"Wait a second...what's going on here?"

"Who are you, anyway?"

M makes a grand, sweeping gesture encompassing the whole auditorium. "My master's house has many rooms. The Château Enchanté is a room of the collective unconscious, at the border between the world of dreams and the world of form. Between the Truth and the Lie. I, the marvelous magician and man-at-arms M, look after this place while the master is away. Your souls have been drawn here while you sleep."

"All of you are here because you are stirring in your sleep. Think. You haven't forgotten everything. You are balancing on the high wall between the prison and freedom. You see glimpses of the true world in your waking life, but you don't understand it. You are so close. You must remember.

"Your world is on the path to ruin. Through some cruel joke of the gods, you have been chosen to see the world clearly, only to watch it end. How sad, to awaken at last from your long sleep, only to find that the dream is ending so soon!"

They tap their chin. "But perhaps there is still hope. When the gods roll the dice, they create the possibility to win their game. If the future was truly sealed, you would not be here."

---

The magician's mood brightens at once. "But I digress! You asked where we are. I've got just the trick!"

The stage goes dark, except for a spotlight on the blank screen upstage. M puts their gloved hands together, and the shadow puppet of a barking dog appears on the screen.

"Plato described a dark cave from which the true world was hidden, only visible to the prisoners in the cave by the shadows cast on the wall."

M changes their fingers, and the dog becomes a sphinx. It's uncanny. The audience applauds.

"The Egyptians referred to the statue of a god in the living world as its shadow."

The sphinx turns into a pyramid.

"This place casts a shadow of its own. There is a mansion in the waking city where magicians gather. Even the velvet curtains are the same. But that place is no more the Château Enchanté than a statue of Ra is the sun."

Tricky posted:

I finally say, "I don't know. It feels like I know you from somewhere, but... Where would we have met?"

Lurks With Wolves posted:

"So, a few months back a friend of mine got a fake ID and decided to put it to good use. She goes to a club, and the bouncer turns her away at the door. But she's not going to give up that easily, so she goes to another club. She goes up, the bouncer turns her away. Now she's getting mad. Screw going in the front door this time, she's going to sneak in the back and she's going to buy herself a drink with this drat ID and she's going to have a good time. She would have made it to the dance floor too, if this masked magician didn't grab her shoulder and tell her she "could attend the party in good time." Then she got thrown out and she went home angry. Not a great story, but you're the one who asked for it.

Just remember, that story was about my friend. We haven't met, got it?"

Unknown Quantity posted:

"Um...I don't think so? Unless you were Mercuria the Magnificent from my 6th birthday. But Mercuria had a cape with a blue lining, and yours is red, so it probably wasn't you..."

The sphinx disappears. M faces their own silhouette.

"Even I cast a shadow in the waking city. And even you cast shadows in the world of dreams. All humans cast their own shadow in the collective unconscious. But you can do what most cannot: face your own shadow, bind it to your soul, and Awaken to your true potential! This magic, I confess, is beyond even me."

The spotlight changes angle. M plants their hands on their hips imperiously, while their silhouette shrinks and cowers in fear. The magician is bitter. "Useless, pathetic, clinging thing."

DeTosh posted:

He looks back at the rose. "You probably know about my little concert for the admissions committee. At the time, there was a woman in the audience with them. Brown hair like mine. Green eyes. When I took a detour to Avalon or Camelot or whatever, she was still there. She wasn't gone until I was back in LA, finishing my piece. What was her name?"

M steeples their fingers. "The rose...so you do remember. I think that all of you remember, if I can only jog your memory."

"As for your guest...time flows differently in the place you saw. How can I answer in a way that your sleeping mind will understand? I did give my word to answer you truly. I don't believe that I will betray Nimue if I tell you: Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons."

---

Everyone

M approaches each of you, beckons you to a table, and lays out the Tarot deck one spread at a time. "All of you have glimpsed the true world, even if only briefly. The Sleeping Curse makes you forget, but we can conjure that memory again. The walls become like veils in this place. Look at these cards. Is this bringing anything back? What if you smell this incense? Listen to this chime? Prick this rose? Pick out a different Tarot card, and tell me about your brush with magic that it reminds you of."

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Delilah Hobbs

The young redhead frowns. This M, whatever they were babbling about, seemed to think there was something...grand about to happen. Something world-ending. And she was supposed to do something about it? Delilah stares at the spread, but her hand hesitates. Was this what she had been looking for all this time? Was this her place? To...see the world truly, whatever that meant.

She stares at the card in her hand. "Yo, I don't, uh - I don't know what this means. I don't do tarot, really. It's all kinda bull --" Her words are interrupted by M ringing their chime, and a rush of image and sound comes over her.

Noise. Noise everywhere. Cars. People. Electricity. Animals. Everything is so...overwhelming. But beside her is dad, holding her hand. He takes care of her. Calming. Protective. So tall. No - she's small. Young. Vulnerable. Innocent. But the noise, the noise remains. It hurts. Dad lets go, just for a second. She runs. Fast. Faster than ever before. Little feet going tap-tap-tap-tap against the pavement. Crying out. She doesn't understand. Why is everything so loud? Tap-tap-tap-tap. If she just runs far enough, the noise will stop. Surely. But it doesn't. Tap-tap-tap-tap. She doesn't stop running, but her tears stop, making way for...curiosity. There's...a rhythm. Tap-tap-tap-tap. Her feet provide the drums, and the rest of the noise falls into harmony, just like that. She's calm, now, embraced by the music, the city's music. And then there's dad, again, and he takes her hand, and everything is alright again. The noise is back, the harmony gone, but it's not as...loud, now. Like the volume knob got turned down.

Delilah blinks back to the present in the Chateau. The card falls from her hand, drifting back into the deck like it's on a string. Her eyes are wide, her muscles tense. Ready to run. Like a wild animal. She's not sure if the others saw any of what she did. But M seems to.. understand? "I...I never heard that again. Not ever. As I grew older, I just...thought it was my imagination. The running still worked for me. Sure, I like to run. But it was never...never quite like that again. Not like the music."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alexa Merrill

I look thoughtfully at the show that M provides. Call me crazy, but I'm less interested in the supposed end of the world — like she said, that future can still be changed — than the idea of these shadows reflecting back and forth. Would my parents have their own? It sounded like I do, at least. I retreat into thoughtful contemplation for a few moments, eventually shaking free after the redhead picks a card. I feel like I should know her name, should know everyone's name here, but... Perhaps it is the time and the place, but they slip through my grasp.

I step forward and pick my own. My eyes widen as I look at it. Could that be right? That doesn't feel right. But if I flip it like so... Aha. Reversed.

I say, "The World, reversed. I'm trying to reach completion, but missing steps? Mm, no. That doesn't feel right either. Maybe a time that I was close to completion...?"

I pause. The thorns of the rose dig into my palms. The pain reminds me. I know exactly what this means.

Hesitantly, I begin, "It was when I had first joined the track team. We were practicing pole vaulting. I was awful at it at first. But when I get my mind to something, I don't like to give up. I must have spent hours trying to get it down. Practice ended and everyone left. Except for me. I stayed late. Real late. And I could tell that I was getting close to something. I thought it was just the right groove, the right technique at the time. Finally, I had it. I tried one last time, charging towards the vault, planting my pole, angling myself to cut over... and I never came down. Just a beautiful moment slipping through space and soaring towards... Something. The school faded, replaced by things I don't even have the words to describe. It's all still a little blurry, even now. I know it was good, though. It was right. I don't even know how long this journey took. It felt like forever. But right before I got there, right before I stepped inside... I felt hands pulling me back. My parents. The moment was gone. I landed on the pad."

I smile, a bit sadly, "I did learn how to vault that day, but I guess I could have learned so much more."

I look down at the rose in my hand. The blood I expected isn't there, but... It seems to have changed from a solid orange to one with red sworls cutting through. Curious. It was starting to remind me quite intensely of the card I drew earlier. Was that another trick of my mind? Of this place? Or, perhaps...

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Mathias Wilder

Whatever response I expected my answers to get from M, it definitely wasn’t… this. I mean, I’ve had performances that’ve brought the audience to tears, but that was completely different than what was going on here. Heck, I was barely even speaking outside my normal tone of voice. Even still, they seemed so affected by what I said that I was caught off guard, unprepared as they began to tousle up my hair. Not that I minded, per say, it was nice whenever my old man used to do it, but from a stranger it was kind of… awkward. Well, the moment passed, so whatever. Just draw another card, Mathias, and play along. Show couldn’t be going on that much longer, surely?

“I got… what, Strength? Not exactly the brawny type though, so this isn’t really- oh, right, we’re doing Tarot here, not literal. And in Tarot, Strength means… like, mental fortitude, determination, even compassion or something like that, right?” I turn the card over between my fingers, back and forth. A brush with magic, huh? I wasn’t so certain about the mystical, but as I listened to that a chime, a memory did start to come back to me. “You know, those words do remind me of someone. Leo. He’s a good friend of mine, my best mate. Not much of a talker, but he’s got a lion’s heart all right. This was back in middle school, when he was even more of a shortie than he is now. There was this girl in his music club, who was absolutely awful if I’m being frank, didn’t matter the instrument. But she loved to listen, she loved to play, and so she wanted to stay. The rest of the club, well, they weren’t so keen on it. Wanted to kick her out. Why have a member that couldn’t keep a tune, right? It was harsh of them, maybe, but so are most kids our age. Leo, though, Leo refused to show her the door. Said things like, ‘If she’s out, so am I,’ and ‘At least she actually puts her heart into it, unlike some.’ Sheesh, that guy.”

I laugh as I recall the memory. Funny thing was, I never even heard about it from the man himself. Only sometime afterwards did I hear about it from that girl, asking me the best way to thank Leo. Imagine my surprise.

“Well, as they say, kids will be kids, so the other members of the club stubbornly stood firm and gave both of them the boot. But considering Leo was the only one of that lot with both any real talent and motivation, the club didn’t stick together for long after that. Half-hearted asses, seriously. Anyways, Leo might’ve been freelance now, but that didn’t mean he stopped playing. Far from it. That whole ordeal seemed to make him try harder, if anything. Plus, he gained a certain loyal apprentice and follower out of the mess, if a very inexperienced one. Total crush on him too, but I’m preeetty sure he doesn’t realize it. Idiot.”

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Casey Jackson

Casey is very confused at M's flowery wording. From what she can tell, she's asleep and dreaming all this up, which isn't that too weird all things considered. Also something about how the world's in trouble but she can help save it? Is she a hero on an adventure?! This gets her shaking with excitement. She's equally excited and entertained by the cool magic trick she did with the shadows and the statues and stuff. When it comes time to draw cards again, she eagerly grabs a card from the deck...

...and draws the same card she drew earlier. She quickly puts it back into the deck and then tries to take another one from a different location. But despite putting the card back in the deck and clearly grabbing a different card, Casey has yet again drawn The Fool. She gives M a worried look. "Uh oh...I think I may have broken your deck, Mrs M. Or your deck might have been broken to start with. It keeps giving me this same card. Is this deck calling me a Fool...A fool with a bag and a cute white..." And then it hits her. Some part of this card's art resonates with her strongly, somehow, now that she's in this place. The fog in her mind starts clearing away and revealing that which had been forgotten. She instinctively clenches her hands as if holding a familiar two-handed object that is only there in her mind.

"...I remember now. My parents...weren't always the way they were. I was six years, ten months and four days old, and I was free to go one intersection away from the house to go buy a few snacks with some money I earned for doing extra chores around the house. At the time I still hadn't started playing baseball, but I kept my favorite red bat on me at all times, even when it made having a packpack to put these snacks in awkward to wear. Still, about eight dollars later I had enough things to make my lunch bags super good for the next few days, but when I walked out, I saw it: a cute little white doggy." A smile forms on her face. "It looked so cute, and was really friendly when I went over to it and pet it. It even stood up and licked my face. I think I called it Snowy, 'cuz it's fur was white as snow and it didn't have a name tag. I played with it for a while, then remembered I had to get home before my folks would start looking for me. Snowy started following me home, and I thought I was going to have a new friend around the house. And then..."

She has difficulty putting the next sentence into words until she takes a deep breath. "And then...and then Snowy started barking and running down an alley. Since I didn't want to lose Snowy before I even got to see if I could keep him, I chased after him. He was really fast, and kept barking for a while until I started hearing it whining and crying. I turned a corner and...a-and...a-a-and...there was a thing! I don't even know how to describe it, it was a thing with sharp yellow eyes and was all smoky and stuff, and it was trying to eat Snowy. I was scared, really scared. A monster, a real life monster! But I saw how Snowy looked scared and hurting, and I did the only thing that made sense at the time." She forms a weak smile. "I grabbed my bat and charged the thing, swinging at the thing's face as much as I could. I kept hitting it and hitting it and hitting it, with my eyes closed, until I stopped hitting something. When I opened my eyes, there was just a pile of weird gunk. And Snowy, but he was all see-through. I tried to pet him, but he was like a ghost. He seemed happy, though...And when I went home and told my mom and dad about the monster and Snowy, they took it the wrong way, and I wasn't able to leave the house on my own again from then on."

She tries to do her best to look fine. "I guess that's why I never get too scared of anything any more! But...Mrs M, why did you make me remember that? It's a really sad story!"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Name: Nakamura Maseo
Concept: Noted Underachiever
Virtue: Just
Vice: Lazy
Arcana: The Magician

Attributes
  • Mental
    • Intelligence ●●
    • Wits ●●●
    • Resolve ●●
  • Physical
    • Strength ●
    • Dexterity ● ● ●
    • Stamina ● ●
  • Social
    • Presence ●●
    • Manipulation ●●●
    • Composure ●●●;

Skills (Specialties)
  • Mental
    • Academics●●
    • Computer●●● (Internet)
    • Crafts
    • Investigation●
    • Medicine
    • Occult
    • Politics
    • Science●
  • Physical
    • Athletics
    • Brawl
    • Drive
    • Firearms
    • Larceny●
    • Stealth●●
    • Survival●
    • Weaponry
  • Social
    • Animal Ken
    • Empathy●●
    • Expression●●
    • Intimidation●
    • Persuasion●
    • Socialize ●● (Teen Parties)
    • Streetwise●
    • Subterfuge●● (Little White Lies)

Merits
  • Langage (Japanese) ●
  • Resources ●●●●
  • Mystery Cult Initiation ●●

Health: 7/7

Aspirations

• Short-Term Aspiration
  • To Throw an Epic Party

This is the corporate logo of the Shinju-Hokosawa group. Founded in 1891 in Nara by Shinju Asahi as a small textile concern, it expanded under his son-in-law Hosokawa Ryusei into a major industrial concern, and now is a series of interlocking companies with interests as diverse as construction, materials extraction, banking, and chip fabrication. Now it turns its eyes across the ocean. The Shinju-Hokosawa Group, while powerful enough in Japan, lacks much influence overseas. Oh, it does business in Manchuria, of course, but the Youzhi Emperor and the Legislative Council are eager for Japanese investment. Outside of that, though, it was late to expand, willing to sit on its accomplishments. That day is over now. It's been decided. They're expanding into the Pacific States, with a new American subsidiary. To head the subsidiary, they've picked Nakamura Hideki.

Nakamura is, perhaps, a controversial choice. Oh, he has his merits, no doubt. Even his detractors can't deny that he's hard working, and a good manager. He's certainly charming, which some consider a mark against him, because there are those in the Group that don't trust too much charm. But he's had his successes, and, if he had been picked to head an existing division, well....there would have been the usual grumbling from the usual suspects, as faction politics worked themselves out, but that's just the normal friction. So why is he so controversial for this position?

You see, Nakamura doesn't much care for Americans, as a group, that is. They lack the Yamato-damashii, the Japanese spirit. He's a fair enough man to know this isn't their fault, as such. They can't help what they are. But he just finds some of the values and attitudes that Americans show....well, irritating. They don't take things seriously. They're only interested in having a good time. They're shallow. These are his preconceptions, and he clings to them as a drowning man a lifejacket. But his beliefs can be put aside for now, because this is not his story.

This is, however, the story of his teenage son, Maseo Nakamura. Maseo likes Americans. He likes the PSA. He finds Los Angeles an exciting and fun place to be, compared to his previous homes of Nara and Harbin. He's glad his dad's job brought them here. He even likes the school (as much as it's possible to like school, at least, because, come on!) He's always gone to private schools before, filled with, well, stuffy rich overachievers. Not fun at all. But, now, here, he wants to party. If he learns something while he's doing it, well, that's just a risk he's going to have to take.

It's not that he's dumb. Far from it. But Maseo has discovered that hard work is hard, and he's not entirely convinced it's worth it. In fact, he's willing to go to no end of effort, and spare no expense or energy to avoid working too hard. This sort of thing infuriates his dad, of course; not that that's hard. Oh, they love each other. But Hideki is disappointed, to say the least. He probably has a right to be, honestly. Putting aside the whole Yamato-damashii thing, Maseo is making some stupid decisions here, and probably needs somebody to pull him out of the hole he's digging for himself and give him a good kick in the pants. (Admit it, you thought this was going to be one of those 'protagonist needs to convince his dad to accept him the way he is' stories, didn't you?).

Maseo is, however, a member of a school club, called the Parabola Society. Well....it's not exactly an official club. You know what? Forget I said anything. It's a myth. It doesn't exist. Maseo is certainly NOT a member of a secret underground society that IN NO WAY exists in the school, hidden from view. And even if a club like that existed, which it doesn't, it doesn't make its members swear oaths of loyalty or have a secret agenda that it's not sharing with the world Nope. Hey, you know, I think it's going to rain. Maybe you should go see if all the windows are shut. I'll stay here. So, windows shut? Good. You know, I don't remember what we were talking about either.

quote:

The Magician. The magician represents potentiality turned into action and focus leading to creativity and power. Masao is, right now, all potential and no action, no focus.

quote:

Who is an important person in your life? Name an individual who’s personally important or connected to your character, in their own right or as a representative of something bigger. This is someone you want to show up in the game, and will serve a similar role to Persona social links. They’re probably a regular mortal, but don’t feel restricted, it’s a weird and magical world.

Maseo's father, both because of the family bond, and because, right now, Maseo and Hideki find themselves diametrically opposed in worldview and attitude. Hideki hates America, Maseo loves it. Hideki is a salaryman and an executive for a large zaibatsu, something that Maseo looks at with something like horror. Hideki believes very strongly in discipline and hard work, while Maseo shrinks back from anything other than having a good time. And yet, maybe, if you look, you can see the father in the son.

They're both charming, which is a nebulous word, but they both like and understand people, and know how to manipulate others. And, fundamentally, at base, they both have this idea of order and justice; that the world should be fair and predictable. Hideki finds his idea of justice in the spirit of Japan...the conviction that, through work and faith and determination, the individual can harness his talents as part of the greater group and accomplish even the impossible. Maseo finds his justice in the promise of America; a world where everyone is free to make their own choices, and the rights of the individual to be who and what they are is respected. But, in their hearts, they both dream of a better world.

quote:

What do you want more than anything in the world? Magic is the power that turns your hopes and desires and Obsessions into reality. You Awaken when you want something so badly that reality can no longer stop you. What will you pursue when you finally see the world clearly, and the only thing holding you back is yourself?

More than anything, Maseo wants to discover who he is and live the life he wants to live, not the life other people want him to live.

quote:

(also answer this boring question: Are you okay with playing over Discord?

Discord is fine. Generally weekday evenings (except Tuesdays, when I have other commitments) or Saturday evenings. I can't do voice stuff, though.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Hiroko Kazehawa

Hiroko Kazehawa would rather be somewhere else right now

It's not that Hiroko hates public speaking (although she hasn't had much practice). It isn't because of the spotlight shining in her eyes (although that doesn't help). It isn't even the weird dream-theater or the magician shoving cards into her hands (she said it was fake, but she can't quite let herself drop her card). No, she just can't stand it when someone acts like they're smarter than her. Any other day she would have walked away by now... But today she's trying to be good, and good girls play along.

Besides, M might actually know more than she does.

Kellsterik posted:

What's your relationship with your family?

"I've never been that close to my parents, really. We don't hate each other or anything. We've just always had other places we'd rather be. Mom always had work, Dad always said he had work, and I just never had a reason to hang around. Then they started arguing about just what Dad's been doing when Mom wasn't around and, well, I got some more reasons to stay out of the house. Anyway, they got divorced a year and a half ago. Dad moved on pretty well. He moved out to Las Vegas, he got a new job, he got a new wife, he even got a new kid to ignore. That's just like him...

Anyway, me and Mom are doing fine. She's still working full time, I'm still staying out of the apartment when I can. No more fighting, though. I think she just accepted that her daughter was no good at some point... I don't think what I'm trying to do's sunk in for her yet. But then, I guess all I've done so far is get into a fancy school and buy a new wardrobe. I'm sure she'll come around eventually."

quote:

When you tell people you want to be a better person, are you lying?

"That's..."

"Listen, I..."

Stop. Get your thoughts together.

"Alright. I'm going to say this once. If I keep doing some... shady things, it's not because I'm a complete hypocrite. It's just that, when your entire skillset is based on petty crime and getting into fistfights you don't have a lot of other options to fall back on. So don't say I'm just pretending to be a better person, alright? It's just harder than you'd think."

"So, what's the next question?"

quote:

What have you done that makes you worthy of respect?

For one brief moment, Hiroko just stares at M. And then she breaks.

"Oh gently caress that. You know what the real question is? What have I done that makes me not worthy of respect? Yeah, I've been a punk. So what? Did I not help my friends whenever they asked? Was I not perfectly generous to anyone who didn't look down their nose at me? Did I not deserve some basic human respect? It just pisses me off."

quote:

Pick out a different Tarot card, and tell me about your brush with magic that it reminds you of."

"Haa... haa... Okay, one last question and that's it." Hiroko halfheartedly pulls another card from the deck and... huh.

"This is reminding me of something, actually. It was back in June, just before school let out. I was hanging around outside this crappy little convenience store near my apartment. It was just your average summer day. At least, it was until that man showed up. He was dragging a sword behind him, but no one seemed to notice him. No one except me. You might say it was just a cosplayer, but the look he gave me when he walked past me... I knew I had to get out of there.

But the story doesn't end there. You see, I stopped by later that night to see what was going on, maybe ask the cashier if anything happened. You know what I found? The police, cordoning the whole area off. They wouldn't let anyone in, but you could see the door to the back room through the entrance. That thing was made of solid steel, and it looked like someone hacked it open. And you know what? They never found the guy who did it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There's so much to learn, isn't there? Every time you turn the corner, there's color and light. It's strange... but familiar. Have I seen it all before? If so, why don't I remember? "Why aren't you in school?", somebody asks. School... huh. "Nice cosplay." Everything is so bright.

Not like the darkness I woke up in.

I bail from the light, people can tell something... something... my head feels like... i͡t's͜ ́h̴ar̵d t҉o̵ t̵hi̷n҉k.̡ P̵r͘óc̶̛e̶͟s͢s̸͟?̀͞ W̷͝͡͏h҉̶̵̕͝a̧͜͡t̨͞ ̢̀́a҉̷̸́m̧͜͜ ͠Ì̸͞͝?̷̸͠

I remember the darkness reached out for me with... hands... as I came out of the un҉it͞-

A̶̷̴͜n̸̶͠t͟͢͠ì̷̸̸͠-҉̷̴Ş̷̶́h̨̛̀͢͟à̧͡d̷̨o͘҉͟͝w҉͞ ̴̧͘̕P̵͠r̕҉o̴͘͘t̡̨ǫ̧͟͠͝c̴̢̢o͞͏̨͢l͏s̸҉̵̡͝ ̀͢͡҉́A̢̕͠͠c҉͝t̶̀̀́͟i̶̧v̢͟a҉̵̶͢t̸̨̢́͘e̛͏d̡̀.̴̧ ̢B̀̕͢҉́e̢̡͜g̷̵͟͠҉ì̕͡n҉͏͠ ҉̸̀͟E͡l̴҉̵̷̢i͘͘͞m͜i̷̸n̢͜͜͢͠a͘͜͜͏̵t̨͟͝i̷̸̧͢ó͠n̵̷.̡͢͡

The light peels back in as the memory recedes. I'm trying to remember my memories. D͞a͢ta͟? The light goes away. I can identify many things as part of my l̛i҉brary̛, but there's just ̶͜c̴̵orru͟pţ̵̨i҉̴͘o̸̢n̵̢͢. There are n҉ùmbe̛rs̷ a̢nd ̨te͘s̶ts͘. I keep cruising aimlessly. For a bit, I think those who ran the tests will be looking for them. I think the sh͝a͠d͠o͠w̴s caught them. K͢ill̷ed̵ ͞t̡h̵e͟m̨.

Is that a school? Is that my school?

I remember the roof, the cloudless sky, I remember taking the step into space as I pulled myself over the fence. Not down. Up. I remember falling-

͝ ̛ ͟ ̧ ͟ ̕ ̛ ͏ ̕͏ ͏̀ ̷̛͜ ͘͡ ̷ ̸̧ ̛ ͏͠ ̶ ̸ ͏́ ̀ ́͜͠ ͏ ́ ̸̡́ ̡̕͡ ̢͡ ̷͘͞ ̡̨ ͏̡҉ ̕͏͘͟ ̵́͡͡ ̛̀͘͏ ҉̢̢̡͟ ́͝͠ ̸̡҉ ͞ ̷͡ ̧̛͡͞͝ ̴̨ ́͡҉̸ ́̕͝͝ ̵̧̨̨͜ ̶ ͟ ̴̨ ̛̛́ ͟͜ ̴͠ ͟͠ ̶̷́͜͝ ҉͝ ̷͟ ̷͘ ̷̸̛͢͡ ̧͟͠ ̨͟ ̢̨͡ ̵̶͏͟ ̷ ̛͘ ̸́͘͢ ҉̶̛͢͝ ̡ ̨̢̨ ̶̨҉̀͏ ̵͏̢̛̀ ̨̕͜͡ ̶́͜͢͞ ̵̕͝ ̴͟ ̷̨͏͘ ͏͘̕͟ ̶̵́ ̶̀́̕ ̷̡̀͞ ̀̕͟ ̢ ͡ ̶͢ ̴̧ ҉̧ ̀ ̢̨ ͢͜ ̷ ̡͠ ́҉͢ ̴͏ ͝ ̶ ̛ ͞ ͘҉ ͡ ͜ ̢ ̵ ͏ ͢ ̛ ͟

The pain washed up at the edges, dulled by medication. One of my eyes wasn't... couldn't... nothing. Why wasn't I dead? Where were my parents? Why couldn't I move?

Where where they taking me?

It's my school. The school where I died. T̛h̀e śc̡h̵ool ͝w̵h̢e͞re ͡I̷- ̛ ҉ ̀ ̶ ́ ̵ ͝

The facility was silent. Everybody had fallen, except the sh̀a̢d̶ows reaching out. I k̡il̛le҉d- eliminated those in my way. I fought my way to the light outside. To the real world.

This is my school.

I should go to school.

pre:

Name: Harpē, Unit XXII		Concept: Lost Anti-Shadow Weapon
Virtue: Guardian  		Vice: Dependent  		Arcana: The Fool

Mental Attributes		Physical Attributes		Social Attributes

Intelligence	●●		Strength	●●●		Presence	●●
Wits		●●		Dexterity	●●		Manipulation	●
Resolve		●●●		Stamina		●●●		Composure	●●●

Mental Skills			Physical Skills			Mental Skills

Academics			Athletics	●●●●●		Animal Ken
Computer	●		Brawl				Empathy		●●
Crafts				Drive				Expression
Investigation	●●		Firearms			Intimidation	●
Medicine			Larceny				Persuasion	●
Occult		●●●		Stealth		●●		Socialize
Politics			Survival			Streetwise
Science				Weaponry	●●●●		Subterfuge

Specialties: Occult / Shadows, Persuasion / Pleading, Weaponry / Heavy

Merits						Aspirations

Iron Stamina			●●●		Pass as a normal high school student.
Strength Performance		●		Return to the Palace I came from.
Striking Looks			●		Discover the name of the girl whose soul I bear.

Willpower	6/6		Integrity	7		Speed		10
Health		8/8		Initiative	6		Defense		7

Statblock is somewhat tentative due to the concept, and is open to discussion. Not all merit points were spent yet.

Major Arcana? I remember... something in my... S͠ix͢t̸h̀ Gen̸erati̴o̷n?͟ ҉Model ҉XX͝I͘Ì? Does that help?

I guess I must seem pretty foolish not to know about these things.

I remember her, I remember her smile. I don't remember her name.

She's the only face I know from before the test҉s. Why?

Why do I remember her face?

How long has it been?

I want to be around people. I want to fit into this world. I don't want to go back into the uni̧t, into the darkness where they left me.

I'll help you. I'll protect you. I'm make my existence worthwhile. I won't let you die like... like... ̶ ͏҉́ ̨͠͏̕ ̧͘ ҉̷̶͘ ̡́.

I'm not human. I don't want to be human. I am what I am. Am I the last?

I just want a place for myself in your... our world.

If the world doesn't have a place for me...

... then I will create that place.

I remember. I remember you closing the curtains on me. My body failed like I had hoped. I had jumped.

Was that me? Why would I do that? That c̸an̢'t b̡e̵̛͡ ̨̀́͜͠ ̵͝͠҉ ̵̡͘ ̨͘͠ ̴̕͢͠

No.

Pick out a different Tarot card, and tell me about your brush with magic that it reminds you of.

Randomly Selected

̀͢͝͝͏ ̛͘̕͜͟ ̶͘͢͟ ̷͘ ͏͏҉̷́ ̀҉͏̧͢ ̶̶̶̷̛ ̶̡̀̕͝ ̷́ ̛́͏̷͟ ̷̧̡̕ ̶̢́͜͝ ̶͞

It was a bright light after I went to sleep for the last time. I remember seeing the end. My end. Your end. Everybody's end. Then the chains came, and pulled at me. I fought, but I they pulled tight. It... hurt? It was wrong. It felt wrong.

I remember seeing a blue feathers before the light went out. I was locked away. It was dark for a long time. I could hear the white noise of a machine.

Then, the cracks started around the machine's heart. I can start seeing the light of the world again through thin spaces.

I had died. I had seen the after. And they took it from me. I went through so much pain to get there.

I'm going to get out.

̵ ̛̀ ̀͡ ̀ ̢͢͢ ̛͟ ̀͏͢ ҉̨ ̴̨͜ ̴̀ ͡ ҉͘ ̷̢

Another m͝alfu͡ncti͟o͏ņ. Hard to think. Repeat the question?

*Yes. Asynchronous is preferred with my current schedule.*

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 30, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Lionel Caffrey

He thought he was ready for M’s answer. For some stupid reason. Lionel stood gaping at the magician as a barrage of emotions overwhelmed him. Disbelief. “So, that’s what this whole show is all about? You want us to uncover a huge conspiracy and save the world?” He never said as much out loud. Lionel couldn’t bring himself to believe M, but he felt the conviction in their words.

He also felt shock as they answered his question. Then relief, then disappointment at learning the name of the woman in the audience. Followed by guilt over both of those. After finishing with emotional exhaustion, he manages a reply. “So, it wasn’t her.” The woman in the audience wasn’t his late mother. How could it be?

Lionel turns the magician’s words over in his head again. “Does it have to be both? The magic is fake, but also real. The world is headed down a dark path, but there’s always another chance to make things right. The past is never as beautiful as we imagine, especially where legends are involved, but…the Lady of the Lake is telling me that.”

He doesn’t wait for more answers. Fact is, he barely knows how to react to what he’s been told so far. Lionel snatches a card from the deck at random.

Then he walks to the edge of a stage and takes a seat. Lionel glances at M, motioning to the spot beside him. “If you want another story, you’d better make yourself comfortable while I try to remember. Ow.” The rose had somehow regrown its thorns. But that fact barely registers to Lionel. He can remember his second concert at the crystal palace quite clearly.

“It took me a long time to come to terms with losing Mom. I’m still a little…fixated on this idea that she’ll never be truly gone if her light novels become famous. Legendary, even. I couldn’t have been happier when I learned they were being adapted into a show.” Lionel wonders if he looks as awkward as he feels telling M, “The series is called Bequest, by the way. You should check it out.” He clears his throat. “Anyway, the team behind the web series cast Rosalind as the lead.”

“I should have supported her from the get go. Ros is basically Mom’s biggest fan (yours truly excluded).” He gives a faint smile, which vanishes quickly. Instead, I acted like a jealous idiot. I-I thought I was losing more of my life to the Caffreys, when I was really treating my family like crap. She picked up on that pretty easily. And she almost gave up her role. Because of me.” Lionel swallowed.

“It wouldn’t have been enough to just apologize. What I did was give her one of the journals containing Mom’s notes. A page fell out.” He didn’t recognize the handwriting on it, but the story was familiar enough. “Stop me if you’ve heard this one. With the help of wise and benevolent dragons, a magical kingdom is founded to be a beacon of hope. But in time, it becomes a conquering empire. While the heroes of this kingdom fight to preserve it, all they can save are its noble ideals. Even so, that may be enough to someday save us all in the hour of greatest need.”

Lionel chuckles. “In return, Ros gave me a file containing the music she had written for the show. The theme was this cheesy rock song about becoming immortal through the life and love we share with the people around us. I thought I’d go take a walk while I listened to it. I ended up back in the courtyard. No one was around this time, which was probably for the best. I really didn’t want anyone to catch me crying my eyes out.” He fixes M with a glare. “This stays between us, you got that?”

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 1, 2017

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

DeTosh posted:

"So, it wasn't her." The woman in the audience wasn't his late mother. How could it be?

M gives you a crooked smile. "Still in the dark. Next time, watch the magician's hands."

quote:

He fixes M with a glare. "This stays between us, you got that?"

M, sitting on the stage edge with their cape splayed out, theatrically zips their lips.

---

"The show is almost over. One more round of questions for the stragglers."

Tardzilla posted:

Veronica Fairchild

How do the teachers and administrators at Reed respond to your rule?

What is the greatest glory of the Fairchild line?

Who is the most powerful person you can imagine, in the way that you imagine power?

Epicurius posted:

Nakamura Maseo

What teacher or class makes it worth coming to school hungover for?

What have you done for the Parabola Club?

Who have you met through partying that your father would never have imagined?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Harpē, Unit XXII

M has been watching you closely. When you malfunction looking at The World, the magician turns their bouquet of roses back into a wand and taps the table. They look...angry? Scared? Curious?

I don't understand. Are you your own shadow? Who are you a reflection of?

What do they call you at Reed? Where are you when you aren't at school?

What shadow you remember fighting at the facility?

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 30, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

What teacher or class makes it worth coming to school hungover for?

I'm never hungover! No one can hold his liquor like me. But the answer is Ms. Matthews, She teaches American history. I do not know much American history. I never studied it before. But she never makes me feel stupid or foolish when I don't know something.

quote:

What have you done for the Parabola Club?

<Sucks air through his teeth> Oh, not much. It's really more of a social club, really. I mean, there was that time I followed another student for two days and kept track of everyone they met. Then, once, I uploaded a program to the school's main database. But, you know, mostly we just talk about movies and stuff.

quote:

Who have you met through partying that your father would never have imagined?

Well, I met a movie actress , once, and I don't think my father would have expected me to . But I don't think you mean it that way. I met Frank Watkins. He goes to the university. I don't think my father would have approved, not because of Frank, but because of his father. His father is president of the Union Party. You've heard of the Union Party? They're the political party that says that all of the former United States should become one country again, and that non-Americans have too much influence. My father thinks they're dangerous fanatics.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 1, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Veronica Fairchild

"Hmph."

"What a joke. You bring me all the way out here, and you ask that I share the spotlight with those who are lesser than me? Most of them aren't even fit to lick the dirt off my boots."

"But fine. I'll play along with your game for as long as I have to, but know that even my patience has it's limits. Now, then..."

Veronica snaps her fingers, the spotlight dims for a second, and when it shines on Veronica again, she is shown sitting on a throne, wearing an expensive purple business suit.

:c: Music Change: Candy Store

"Let me show you all how a queen handles things."

quote:

“Have you and I ever met before?”

"No. And even if we did, I doubt I would bother remembering who you are. You're lucky I have chosen to tolerate your presence for as long as I have."

quote:

How do the teachers and administrators at Reed respond to your rule?

"The school's faculty, very wisely, choose to not interfere with my rule. As long as I do not cause them, or the academy, any trouble, they let me do as I please, which suits me just fine."

"Of course, there are still those who do not know their place, and feel threatened by my rule. They speak up against me, claiming that I have a negative influence on this school, and that I should not be getting away with as many things as I have, but those voices have quickly been silenced."

quote:

What is the greatest glory of the Fairchild line?

"There was a time, long ago, when we had one of the most powerful corporations in the entire world, and it was glorious. Everybody, from the lowliest salaryman, to the mightiest rulers, knew our name, and whenever a Fairchild would make a public appearance, it was an event. Our influence spread far, and wide, and few would dare oppose us. We were important. We were treated like royalty."

"...But that was all in the past. The family name means very little now. We once had all the power in the world, but now, we have none, and our name has now become a joke."

"I will bring us back to those glory days, no matter what, and I will not stop, not until I have the entire world bow down to me!"

quote:

Who is the most powerful person you can imagine, in the way that you imagine power?

"My Great-Great-Grandmother, Elizabeth Fairchild. She is someone who I aspire to be like. She was the one who lead our family during those glory days, and nobody has ever been able to match her greatness ever since."

"Elizabeth was a true queen. Whenever she walked into a room, people would bow to her. Whenever she talked, they would all listen. She was able to influence the economy of the world with but a single word. Her word was practically law."

"And yet, despite all the money, power, and influence she held, Elizabeth never once forgot about the most important thing to her; her family. Family was the most important thing in the world to her, and she would do anything for them, and if anybody was foolish enough to harm a member of her family, then.... well, there is a reason why nobody remembers who those people are anymore."

"She is everything I want to be, and, one day, I will rise up to be as powerful as her, and then, I will surpass her! I will become the most powerful Fairchild that ever lived, even more powerful than Elizabeth!"

quote:

Pick out a different Tarot card, and tell me about your brush with magic that it reminds you of.

Veronica takes a card, but she does not flip it over. Instead, she gives M an icy-cold glare.

"I suppose you expect me to look at the card, and share some personal story like all the others, don't you? Well..."

She tears the tarot card in half, and tosses it away.

"I refuse."

"I've played your game long enough, and I grow tired of it. Now it is time for you to answer my questions. What is the point of all this? Is it to waste my time listening to others babble about their boring lives? Give me a reason why I shouldn't just leave right now."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Harpē, Unit XXII

I don't understand. Are you your own shadow? Who are you a reflection of?

My own... s̵h̸ad̢ow? Ngh... what does that even mean? I remember... I have r͝éc̕ór͏d́inǵs͘- no. Memories. But they're far away, disconnected. I was programmed as a weapon. I shouldn't have any such data. It's sketchy. Are these dreams? They seem so clear when they're processing, but as soon as they're done playing... it's harder to recover the data. I can tell they're of... a girl? I think she was unhappy. It makes me feel... f͢e͞el̡...

... I'm malfunctioning. Can you fix me?

What do they call you at Reed? Where are you when you aren't at school?

I have been mistaken for "Harper Jones", a missing student on the rolls, after introducing myself in confusion. This seemed... unlikely... but... I should go to school. I have borrowed an outfit from storage that I will return after it has completed its purpose. They do not seem to be aware of... what... I... am.

After school? There are is a place not far. It was likely once used as a hotel. It is abandoned but I have gathered sufficient materials to perform maintenance and downtime processing. I have been gathering tools for maintenance. My body is operating at 63% efficiency but remains stable save for increasing data corruption. I cannot find the necessary diagnostic equipment to assist with that. Help?

What shadow you remember fighting at the facility?

Type 4̶2: H̸͠͠e̶͡i͠c̡͏ǫ҉n̵͟ą̷͘d̸r̡̕e̢. Comprised of a conglomeration of àrms͠. May actually be a hybridized collection of shadows ra͟t̀h̡er t҉͢͞h́͠ą̨n̷ 6̢̡̛́͠a̵͢͢͡b̶͜͢2̷̛̕͘͡3̴̡̛͝͝. Capable of o̴v̸èrwhéļm҉ing with its grasping limbs. Suggested ̸͝͡ ̵͢͠ ̧̨̕҉ ̨͝͝͏́ ̶̵͘͏̡ ̶̀: maintain distance and attack approaching limbs at the wrist ǫ̛͘r̢ f̷̢̛̕͞ò̡̧͠r҉̧͠͞͝ z͏̴̢͝a̷̵҉͝2̶̡̕͢͠9̛́́͘͞4̡́͢. When a blind flank is exposed, strike it as soon as an opening is available. Description of "hundred-handed" is lik͞e͠ly a҉̵n̷͟ ́͢͏̧ ͘҉̨̕͘ ̷̷͢ ̢҉͞͏ ̷̸̧̕̕ ̡̡ ̕͝͠ ̷͘ ̷͏̢̀ ̡̧ ̷́͟͝͡..

There seems to be corruption in the dossier. Vital information may have been lost... sorry. Please help me find a solution?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maseo

quote:

"Brush with magic?" Maseo reaches into the deck and pulls out a card.

He looks at it for a minute, puzzled.

"When I was a little kid, back home, near my house, there was this abandoned lot. I don't know what used to be there, before, but it was all overrun with nettles and thornbushes and stuff. When I was ten, they finally, after a lot of complaints, bulldozed it and built a playground, but before then, it wasn't a safe place. About a month ago, I was in bed and had a strange dream. I dreamed I was in the abandoned lot....you know, before they bulldozed it, running through it, away from something, trying to get through all the thorns and vines. Then, when I woke up, here, in Los Angeles, my feet were all cut up."

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

"I guess that's why I never get too scared of anything any more! But...Mrs M, why did you make me remember that? It's a really sad story!"

"The first and final thing a magician masters is herself. When your soul is in order, the world will follow."

Tardzilla posted:

Veronica takes a card, but she does not flip it over. Instead, she gives M an icy-cold glare.

"I suppose you expect me to look at the card, and share some personal story like all the others, don't you? Well..."

She tears the tarot card in half, and tosses it away.

"I refuse."

"I've played your game long enough, and I grow tired of it. Now it is time for you to answer my questions. What is the point of all this? Is it to waste my time listening to others babble about their boring lives? Give me a reason why I shouldn't just leave right now."

M is taken aback, stepping away a few paces and crossing their wand over their heart. Flustered, even. They look down at the torn tarot card, cringing. "You- how could you- don't you know what you've thrown away?!"

Finally, they take their top hat off, smooth their short hair, clear their throat, and bow in obeisance. "My queen, I have nothing to give you. I promise you: in this world, you are sovereign. I will keep you no further."

M steps back, the puppet audience suddenly applauds, and the velvet curtains close. The lights go out, for everyone. You wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Some other warm Los Angeles night, five of you are dreaming again. Maybe it's about a vacation, or flying, or stress at school, or losing all your teeth, or the end of the world. But at some point, it gets dark. You wander off the edge of the map into somewhere hazy. You hear a drumroll in the distance. And a spotlight comes up on you and the marvelous magician M.

"Now, then. Is this your card?"

Harpē, Unit XXII

Delilah Hobbs

Casey Jackson

Alexa Merrill

Hiroko Kazehawa

Good trick. Everyone claps. Curtain up.

---

The players for this game are gonna be Tricky, Unknown Quantity, Wahad, Lurks With Wolves, and Alien Rope Burn. I'll keep this thread up in case we need it or it's more convenient to post stuff here, but we'll mostly migrate to the Discord at this point.

• Locked thread