Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Casey Jackson, of the Star Arcana

Casey is currently the first-string pitcher and a regular part of the batting line-up for Reed Academy's baseball team. The fact that she's pitching and batting against males is of no real import, considering that, from a very young age, the girl seemed quite adept at the sport. Unfortunately for her, between some temper issues, overly protective and coddling parents, and a diagnosis that she was "on the spectrum", instead of being called a "prodigy," she was referred to as a "Savant." While she was fine as a student, there was concern that Casey would have issues making friends or dealing with new people, so her parents went out of their way to contact school and ensure that the teachers and other staff knew who Casey was and why she was a special case. It became very awkward when people Casey didn't know or recognize seemed to recognize her and act as though they knew all about her, and walked on eggshells around her, and continued all the way to middle school.

However, Reed Academy, being of higher standards, does not believe in making such accommodations for Casey, since they aren't disabled in the traditional sense, and they're trying to get in on athletic scholarship anyway. Her parents were devastated to hear the news, but the young pitcher herself was elated. No more hand-holding, no more weird people who already know who she is, and she still gets to play her favorite sport! This was a golden opportunity to start all over, make friends, and establish an identity that wasn't constantly confused with special needs people.

quote:

Name: Casey Jackson
Concept: Baseball Savant trying to reinvent themselves
Virtue: Courage
Vice: Rage
Arcana: Star

Attributes

Mental
Intelligence ●
Wits ●●●
Resolve ●●●

Physical
Strength ●●●
Dexterity ●●●
Stamina ●●

Social
Presence ●●
Manipulation ●
Composure ●●●

Skills (Specialties)

Mental
Academics ●
Computer
Crafts
Investigation ●
Medicine ●● (First Aid)
Occult
Politics
Science

Physical
Athletics ●●●● (Baseball)
Brawl
Drive
Firearms
Larceny ●
Stealth ●●
Survival ●
Weaponry ●●●

Social
Animal Ken ●●
Empathy ●
Expression
Intimidation ●●● (Direct Threats)
Persuasion
Socialize
Streetwise
Subterfuge ●

Merits

Fleet of Foot (●)
Tolerance for Biology (●)
Trained Observer (●●●)
Iron Stamina (●)
Interdisciplinary Study (Baseball) (●)

Health: 0/7
Willpower: 6/6

Aspirations

Hit a home run
Make a new friend
Get over the baggage from elementary and middle school

quote:

What is the worst thing Casey has ever done?
When Casey first tried out softball at elementary school, she was hooked on the sport. It came as a big disappointment to her when, after her parents started talking to her coaches, everything became condescendingly easy. Suddenly instead of answering pitches she was being given a tee. She despised that tee. Enough that, at at one point, she snuck into the gym supply room and shattered every single softball tee, as well as bending an aluminum bat and giving a good few whacks to the shins and knees of a member of the staff who tried to restrain her. Casey was sent home for the day, and it was during the following weekend that she got the diagnosis from a psychiatrist confirming her condition.

quote:

What is the worst thing Casey can imagine herself doing?
Casey still very vividly remembers that rampage in the gym supply room, and has broken objects in frustration before as well. However, that one outburst aside and a few failed attempts at charging someone, she's never actually taken out her frustrations on a person or animal. Casey imagines the worst she could ever do is severely injure someone with her favorite bat out of anger or frustration.

quote:

What is the worst thing she can imagine someone else doing?
The pitcher isn't stupid, she's aware of the looks she gets when she picks up a ball or bat, or any other object she could conceivably wield or throw. She's also aware that people can go out there using objects like this to go out and kill someone. Casey doesn't really look into that sort of thing, but she's pretty sure the worst thing someone could do is kill someone just so that they can steal their stuff.

quote:

What has Casey forgotten?
It was during her summer practice, the last semester before high school. She'd been working on controlling her fastball; she'd already had the speed, but it kept moving out of the strike zone. She had a pitch that she felt was perfect as she let it fly, but then something odd happened; rather than hitting the practice target, the ball bounced off of some invisible force and was covered in an odd black substance. She would later write it off as her accidentally throwing an unwashed ball.

quote:

What is the most traumatic thing that has happened to Casey?
That would be the time her parents tried to apply to have her considered disabled for the purposes of social security benefits. Sitting down at a large table in an unfamiliar office looking at a video screen of a judge asking questions to her parents and other people working the case on her behalf was very stressful, and after answering a few questions herself was asked to leave the room. She continued listening in, however, and got to hear from one of the folks making her case. According to these people and even her parents, outside of a potential sports career, they had very little in the way of career aspects or job opportunities, and were "highly unlikely to live completely normally." Her self-esteem and trust crumbled that day, and it's been a very slow process building it back up.

quote:

Which of the Major Arcana best suits Casey?
The Star represents hope, faith, courage, and a chance for new opportunities following a great hardship, just as The Star follows The Tower. Casey is attempting to regain her self-esteem, trust in her own abilities, and establish a new sense of self through this opportunity Reed Academy has given her. However, The Star reversed can also mean baggage, or being overwhelmed by the day to day life you were having no issue with prior. Casey needs to be able to put the past behind her and focus on the present if she wants to have a good future.

quote:

Who is an important figure in Casey's life?

That would be one Luis Zephyr. An aged, upper-class man with a passing affinity for sport, they showed up to one of Casey's Little League games and approached her after the game, asking if the young girl would be interested in pursuing this as a career. She was quite enthusiastic about saying "yes!" and every now and again as the years go by, Mr Zephyr would show up to pull the pitcher aside, congratulate her on her growth and success, and give a nice pep talk before leaving just as quickly as he appeared. In addition, it would seem that Mr Zephyr is at least partially behind why Casey was given the opportunity to enroll in Reed Academy.

quote:

What does Casey want more than anything in the world?
There is only one thing that Casey wants in this world above everything else: To be free to follow her dreams, regardless of what anyone says she can or can't do.

quote:

What type of game do you want/can you use Discord?
I absolutely can use Discord, and am open to any of those types of games. CST is my time zone and I can guarantee I'll be available from 7 PM onward but generally just poke me and I'll probably be around.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Casey Jackson

The young pitcher is confused at their surroundings. This is not the grassy training field, nor outer space, nor is it even a giant diamond. Moreover, these aren't her pajamas. This silk is kinda scratchy and uncomfortable. Oh! But there's a magician here. At least, they think it's a magician.Oh! Yeah, they just confirmed themselves to be a magician, she was right, good. But a magician called M? That's weird. Is it part of their act? Do you dial M for Magician? Thoughts keep racing through Casey's head until a rose comes flying at her. Without thinking she catches it and then looks at it. Aren't roses dangerous to throw since they've got thorns? Oh, no, they've trimmed those off, she guesses it's okay then. Not quite realizing the context for why she got a rose thrown at her, but seeing M's expectant expression and the rest of the crowd, she stands up, then kind of shuffles her way up to the stage.

Mysterious long-nosed magician M posted:

Have we ever met before?

"Um...I don't think so? Unless you were Mercuria the Magnificent from my 6th birthday. But Mercuria had a cape with a blue lining, and yours is red, so it probably wasn't you..."

She picks up a card. She looks confused at what she drew, and frowns a little at the implications of it, but puts the card in one of the pockets on this suit she's wearing.

How do you get along with the other players and coaches at Reed?

"Oh, they, um..." She looks around to see if any of them are there. Finding none, she continues. "It's a little awkward, because we have to have separate locker rooms, so I'm kind of all alone after a game and before practice, but they really appreciate me being there. I get invited to sit with them and the other sports team members at lunch, and while I don't really get a lot of the lingo they're talking about, they try to make me feel welcome as best they can, even if it can get crowded and rowdy at their tables. As for the coaches..."

She puts a hand to her chin in a thoughtful expression, trying to figure out how she's going to best express what comes next. After about a solid minute of pondering, she continues. "I'm not sure how I feel about how they want me to play. They've been really emphasizing this signal about 'scaring the batters' by getting real close with my fastball, and sometimes I wonder if they still know it's just a game. I mean, I get that we want to win championships, but that doesn't mean we should be mean about it, right?"

What’s the furthest you’ve ever traveled for an away game? Rural California? Las Vegas? Across the border in Mexico, or Cascadia, or the Heartland State? Or just the other side of town?

"Well, in the Little League, we got to State level, but got knocked out of the Regionals because of the rules on pitchers. You see, I could only throw 75 pitches per game, and after 40 pitches you have to start taking days off to rest. Since I kept having to take three or four days off to rest between games, that meant my team would be without me for every other game. We got to face other folks from the rest of the Pacific States, but since we didn't win Regional we couldn't go on to Nationals. I can pitch all I want in the high school leagues though!"

How far do you want your dream to take you? Team captain? Professional leagues? The Greatest Ever?

She smiles. Finally, a very easy question! "Oh! I can answer that one real fast! I want to be the in the Baseball Hall of Fame, alongside all of the other greats. I have to make it to the major leagues before then, but if I do real well here, everyone says I could get picked up by a college team! And then once I graduate college and get a major, I go to Majors!" She giggles a bit at the rather shallow humor she just made.

"Oh! But, um...I have a question for you now, if I can ask it. Where am I and where's my other stuff? It's pretty important that I don't lose track of anything. I know you said it's a..." she takes several stabs at trying to say the name M gave the place, but continuously fails to do so before sighing. "It's a thingy, but what is this thingy? Where is it in relation to the rest of the city?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Casey Jackson

Casey is very confused at M's flowery wording. From what she can tell, she's asleep and dreaming all this up, which isn't that too weird all things considered. Also something about how the world's in trouble but she can help save it? Is she a hero on an adventure?! This gets her shaking with excitement. She's equally excited and entertained by the cool magic trick she did with the shadows and the statues and stuff. When it comes time to draw cards again, she eagerly grabs a card from the deck...

...and draws the same card she drew earlier. She quickly puts it back into the deck and then tries to take another one from a different location. But despite putting the card back in the deck and clearly grabbing a different card, Casey has yet again drawn The Fool. She gives M a worried look. "Uh oh...I think I may have broken your deck, Mrs M. Or your deck might have been broken to start with. It keeps giving me this same card. Is this deck calling me a Fool...A fool with a bag and a cute white..." And then it hits her. Some part of this card's art resonates with her strongly, somehow, now that she's in this place. The fog in her mind starts clearing away and revealing that which had been forgotten. She instinctively clenches her hands as if holding a familiar two-handed object that is only there in her mind.

"...I remember now. My parents...weren't always the way they were. I was six years, ten months and four days old, and I was free to go one intersection away from the house to go buy a few snacks with some money I earned for doing extra chores around the house. At the time I still hadn't started playing baseball, but I kept my favorite red bat on me at all times, even when it made having a packpack to put these snacks in awkward to wear. Still, about eight dollars later I had enough things to make my lunch bags super good for the next few days, but when I walked out, I saw it: a cute little white doggy." A smile forms on her face. "It looked so cute, and was really friendly when I went over to it and pet it. It even stood up and licked my face. I think I called it Snowy, 'cuz it's fur was white as snow and it didn't have a name tag. I played with it for a while, then remembered I had to get home before my folks would start looking for me. Snowy started following me home, and I thought I was going to have a new friend around the house. And then..."

She has difficulty putting the next sentence into words until she takes a deep breath. "And then...and then Snowy started barking and running down an alley. Since I didn't want to lose Snowy before I even got to see if I could keep him, I chased after him. He was really fast, and kept barking for a while until I started hearing it whining and crying. I turned a corner and...a-and...a-a-and...there was a thing! I don't even know how to describe it, it was a thing with sharp yellow eyes and was all smoky and stuff, and it was trying to eat Snowy. I was scared, really scared. A monster, a real life monster! But I saw how Snowy looked scared and hurting, and I did the only thing that made sense at the time." She forms a weak smile. "I grabbed my bat and charged the thing, swinging at the thing's face as much as I could. I kept hitting it and hitting it and hitting it, with my eyes closed, until I stopped hitting something. When I opened my eyes, there was just a pile of weird gunk. And Snowy, but he was all see-through. I tried to pet him, but he was like a ghost. He seemed happy, though...And when I went home and told my mom and dad about the monster and Snowy, they took it the wrong way, and I wasn't able to leave the house on my own again from then on."

She tries to do her best to look fine. "I guess that's why I never get too scared of anything any more! But...Mrs M, why did you make me remember that? It's a really sad story!"

• Locked thread