Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Greetings, and welcome to the 2017 NHL Entry Draft!

Over the course of the next 24 hours, thirty-one wonderful teams will make decisions that will potentially alter the direction of their franchise. It's the most cherished time of the year for fans, who will place massively unrealistic expectations on acne-riddled teenagers who weigh 160 pounds and have the stage presence of a frightened kitten.

In comparison to recent years, this year's crop of prospects is a cut below that of the two most recent drafts, which in a short manner of time has already produced electrifying phenoms like Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, and Patrik Laine. However, there's still plenty of talent to be found, and future stars are taken every year.

Tonight and tomorrow, the future faces of the league will realize their hard-earned dreams. The unlucky ones will know their career is over before they reach the draft podium.

Who Is #1?

In contrast to recent years, the 2017 NHL Draft lacks a consensus top prospect. The consensus best prospects this year are considered to be Nolan Patrick (left) of the Brandon Wheat Kings, and Nico Hischier (right) of the Halifax Mooseheads. Nolan Patrick was considered to be this year's top prospect before laboring through an injury-riddled season. Nico Hischier was not initially considered to be a lottery talent, but had an electrifying season in which he single-handedly dragged the hapless Mooseheads to the postseason.

Profiles sourced from Future Considerations:

Nolan Patrick:

quote:

A lethal combo of size, speed and skill; plays a power game and possesses one of the most well-rounded skill sets in the CHL…has great wheels and is able to surprise with his speed…hands and ability to protect the puck is high end…plays very responsibly with the puck, but also makes something happen each time he possesses it…uses his strength and reach to guard the puck, driving his way around the offensive zone…a heads-up, confident passer…has a sharp release on his wrist shot and is capable of beating a goaltender from anywhere in the offensive zone….his slap shot has high-level accuracy and velocity…a ruthless presence off the puck, simply overpowers his opponents…a great leader, commanding respect with his work ethic and consistent high level of play…willing to stand up for his teammates and bring justice as he sees fit…beats teams with his IQ and seems to always be in control of the play…a number-one NHL center in the making.

Nico Hischier:

quote:

A smooth-skating, playmaking center…good skating agility and top speed, but is more quick than fast…is able to make quick turns and displays good lateral movement…not big or strong, but still shows willingness to take hits and battle for space…goes into board battles and uses his body to fight for pucks…excellent playmaking instincts, vision and passing skills…puts puck where his linemates can best utilize the chance…an incredible stickhandler who thrives in possession and can make defenders look foolish…competitive and driven…poise is a major standout attribute…dangerous when given time, especially on the power play as he takes full control of the play from the half wall with the puck, using his impressive agility, hands and vision to make plays…plays a responsible defensive game…one of the best talents to come out of Switzerland.

Draft Order:

1. New Jersey Devils Nico Hischier
2. Philadelphia Flyers Nolan Patrick
3. Dallas Stars Miro Heiskanen
4. Colorado Avalanche Cale Makar
5. Vancouver Canucks Elias Pettersson
6. Vegas Golden Knights Cody Glass
7. New York Rangers Lias Andersson
8. Buffalo Sabres Casey Mittelstadt
9. Detroit Red Wings Michael Rasmussen
10. Florida Panthers Owen Tippett
11. Los Angeles Kings Gabe Vilardi
12. Carolina Hurricanes Martin Necas
13. Vegas Golden Knights Nick Suzuki
14. Tampa Bay Lightning Callan Foote
15. Vegas Golden Knights Erik Brannstrom
16. Calgary Flames Juuso Valimaki
17. Toronto Maple Leafs Timothy Liljegren
18. Boston Bruins Urho Vaakanainen
19. San Jose Sharks Josh Norris
20. St. Louis Blues Santana ft. Rob Thomas — Smooth
21. New York Rangers Filip Chytil
22. Edmonton Oilers Kailer Yamamoto
23. Arizona Coyotes Pierre-Olivier Joseph
24. Winnipeg Jets Kristian Vesalainen
25. Montreal Canadiens Ryan Poehling
26. Chicago Blackhawks Dallas Stars Jake Oettinger
27. St. Louis Blues Philadelphia Flyers Andy Frost's son
28. Ottawa Senators Shane Bowers
29. Dallas Stars Chicago Blackhawks Henri Jokiharju
30. Nashville Predators Eeli Tolvanen
31. Pittsburgh Penguins St Louis Blues Klim Kostin

TRADES

Arizona gets: Niklas Hjalmarsson
Chicago gets: Laurent Dauphin, Connor Murphy

Columbus gets: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, #181
Chicago gets: Brandon Saad, Anton Forsberg, 2018 5th

Columbus gets: Jordan Schroeder
Minnesota gets: Dante Salituro

Arizona gets: Derek Stepan, Antti Raanta
New York Rangers get: @nycguidovoice, #7

Dallas gets: #26
Chicago gets: #29, #70

St Louis gets: Brayden Schenn
Philadelphia gets: Jori Lehtera, #27, conditional 2018 1st

Pittsburgh gets: Ryan Reaves, #51
St Louis gets: Oscar Sundqvist, #31

Calgary gets: Travis Hamonic, 2019 or 2020 4th
New York Islanders get: 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 or 2020 2nd

Links:
McKenzie's Top 100: http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-draft-ranking-top-93-and-honourable-mentions-1.778987
Canucks Army Top 100 Prospects: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/22/canucks-armys-final-top-100-2017-nhl-draft-rankings/
Corey Pronman's Instant Analysis: https://twitter.com/coreypronman/

Let's have some fun.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Now...

If the New Jersey Devils select Cale Makar with the first overall pick, I ask to be banned until the start of the 2017-18 NHL season. :toxx:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Good start to this GDT already.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

corn on the cop posted:

Now...

If the New Jersey Devils select Cale Makar with the first overall pick, I ask to be banned until the start of the 2017-18 NHL season. :toxx:

Would you like a ban, 100k, or both when this happens? :twisted:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Please just don't poo poo yourself inside out, Benning.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

corn on the cop posted:

Now...

You can trade down to 7 and the rangers will take Nico off your hands for you.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Jovial Cow posted:

You can trade down to 7 and the rangers will take Nico off your hands for you.

I'd rather just go down in piss-flaming glory.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Anyone need a Finnish goalie? They're bogo all day.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Have to think Vegas would flip one of theirs 1sts for something useful, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Anyone need a Finnish goalie? They're bogo all day.

I like Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen just because of his name.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Why?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

It's kind of a meh draft so flipping 13th or 15th with say a Methot to get a meh player and prospect or pick for next year would probably serve you better.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All I know is I'll be exasperated and disappointed by the end of the night

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Uh, yeah, but why? Weak draft doesn't mean Vegas isn't going to suck for years and need to build for the future.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

What I want is, like many others want for their own team, is for the Edmonton Oilers to draft Kailer Yamamoto. But I won't hold my breath on it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I would not be surprised if they offered 6, 13, 15 for 2. And I would not be surprised if Philly turned them down.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
At the Vegas draft event. The seats at the T-Mobile arena are way better than I'm used to at the Thomas & Mack. Can't wait to watch my terrible team play!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
hold on, who just said they like watching Tyler Bozak?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Awkward as gently caress double interview with the top 2 on SN

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Philly posted a tweet saying there'll be a Twitter Q and A with pick #2 later so I really doubt they're planning on trading away the pick. Most likely rightfully so.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Chuck Fletcher is going to draft a 5'4 120 pound phenom, then panic and draft six Derek Boogaard's

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/878381177807097858

Do it, give us more deals

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Powershift posted:

Awkward as gently caress double interview with the top 2 on SN

I enjoyed

"I hear you have a wager going"
Nico "yes"
"What's the wager?"
Nolan "there is no wager"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

all 3 goalies

oh, 3rd, i'm dumb.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
Get me some Nolan Patrick, Hexy :getin:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/878384514480910336

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I dunno, I'm cool with stocking up on young guys but I'd be happier with a d that can play in the next season or two. Though I guess even that might be a stretch.

I also did not know I could order razors via text. The future is now.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Philly was better :colbert:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
very much looking forward to being disappointed by whatever teenager Sweeney picks

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol gently caress you methot

E: turned down an offer from habs...on his no trade list

How about you go gently caress yourself sideways marc methot

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What the gently caress they're doing anthems at the draft? What is this poo poo?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm spontaneously combusting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

What the gently caress they're doing anthems at the draft? What is this poo poo?

Where are the fireworks and the army guys, what kind of event is this?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Wha

I mean if Makar gets taken for some reason and Nico falls to 3 then hmmmmmmmmm

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ThinkTank posted:

Chicago's greatest hockey tradition, after not allowing home games on TV

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

:911:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
why are they playing the anthems at the draft

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jeff, get number 3 Jeff

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

USA
USA
USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God bless those brave teenage hockey player boys

• Locked thread