Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wait is this trade all because Niskanen concussed Crosby? How the hell would Reaves have prevented that? Also when will Reaves ever see the ice with Crosby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

~goons are not a deterrent~

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Please no more old guys. Shattenkirk is cool because he'll turn 35 at the very end of a seven year deal, which is also two years after the CBA expires. They've got the cap room to sign him in the 7m range.

Yeah I know people weren't thrilled with Shattenkirk while with Washington but he honestly helped the PP a lot and he seems like a really good fit with NYR. He'd be overpaid at $7M but not at LOL level of overpaid.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

But yeah, sounds like Yak would probably be better off signing a "show me" deal with a team that's got enough offensive depth that they can use Yak effectively without really expecting much in terms of production. Pens and Caps are the first teams that come to my mind, but I'm sure there are others that would make sense. Not so sure about NJD...

No way Trotz would want Yakupov. He's very much an old school coach who just happens to have a very good roster that he can't screw up too much.

Yak would be a healthy scratch in favor of Tom Wilson and some AHL scrub in no time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Connolly re-signed in WSH for 2 years $1.5 AAV. Can't wait for Trotz to bench him in favor of a lovely 7th D again.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Suspicious posted:

I suppose whoever gets Alzner will end up overpaying, but he's not that bad of a dman, is he?

Alzner will rarely make a big mistake but he is a huge drain on offense because he never makes any plays in the offensive or neutral zones. His move is to skate to where the red line meets the boards and to dump and change.

Also he wrecked his groin in 2016 and got significantly slower. He's at best a third pairing dude who can PK and if he's paid as such it would be fine. But he's going to get an insane deal because GMs are idiots.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It is not surprising at all that Alzner is being linked to almost every Canadian team. Canadian media loves that type of player, and so do most Canadian NHL GMs.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Rangers blueline suddenly is going to look pretty drat good if they also sign Shattenkirk and demote/jettison Staal. Third pairing might stink but so do most third pairings.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/status/880176044199858176

So with Winnipeg added to the list Alzner has been linked to every Canadian team except Calgary I think. That owns because it's so unsurprising that Canadian teams love that type of player.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Shattenkirk only makes sense for Buffalo if they plan on trading Ristolainen and you know some dumb as poo poo GM would trade a ton for him. The only thing Ristolainen does well is man the PP but Shattenkirk is even better at it (and also better at the other aspects of the game).

Edit: ^^^ but yeah I don't know why Shattenkirk would want to go to Buffalo unless it's just some ridiculous offer.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

whatis posted:

Shattenkirk is a good fit for Buffalo with or without Ristolainen, but Buffalo is not trading Ristolainen anyway so it doesn't really matter. Ristolainen is also good, not bad

And Shattenkirk would want to go to Buffalo because they're going to be good this year and for the next several years as well

Aside from the PP Ristolainen is incredibly bad. Someone pull up the fancy stat chart I'm on my phone now. Again there's missing context but Ristolainen bleeds shots against at one of the worst rates in the league. And he doesn't score much at even strength to balance it out. He's closer to Marc Andre Bergeron than a legit top 4 defenseman.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 29, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

A little higher than I thought he'd come in at but he's a dynamic #2 right now who could become a #1. Dude owns.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That seems like a really nice deal for Buffalo.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

a false posted:

seems beneficial for both sides, pominville is basically a salary dump at this point right?

Pominville still had 40 even strength points and strong possession numbers last year so he's more than just a salary dump from Buffalo's perspective.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

What the gently caress are the Panthers doing. Quite the turnaround from last year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I saw those reports but it looks like they are just going to be content being a lovely team with no fanbase. At least last offseason they had some sort of plan to build a winning team.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Who could look at Karl Alzner's 2016-17 where he came off a devastating groin injury and think it'd be prudent to hand out that sort of contract? Also he was never very good before that either.

Edit: congrats Jets fans

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals have $4.66M of cap space and only have 9 NHL forwards, 5 NHL defensemen, and one NHL goalie under contract. Obviously they are going to call some Hershey guys up to round out the roster but something has to give.

Hoping this is a precursor to Orpik getting traded. Honestly the Kuznetsov deal is fine. It's paying his prime years and he clearly produces like a 1C. Having Backstrom and Kuznetsov is pretty great top-end center depth.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lol the Capitals could have just exposed Johansson in the expansion draft and protected Schmidt. Now they are both gone.

What a dreadful offseason for the Capitals and MacLellan.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lol Brooks Orpik is still a Capital and Schmidt & Johansson are gone for essentially nothing. MacLellan doubling down on his stupid Orpik signing 3 years ago.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

eXXon posted:

Nah it's cool, Williams and Johansson will be replaced internally with

Tom Wilson and Jakub Vrana :q:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hate to interrupt this riveting discussion but I have some HOCKEY NEWS:

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/882985133925642240

He's gonna be traded as soon as someone's goalie gets injured.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

Tocchet turned stamkos' rookie season around.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed, he was really good at not being Barry Melrose.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd take Jagr back on a cheap deal I really don't give a poo poo about 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure Tom Wilson is their second line right wing right now which seems less than ideal???

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Shattenkirk looked fine for long stretches but had a few brainfarts. He still made the PP very good again and that was valuable because for whatever reason Carlson just couldn't get the job done this season even though the PP has been the exact same setup for the past 5 seasons.

He'll be good in New York especially since he'll probably play with someone who isn't bad like Brooks Orpik or the corpse of Karl Alzner. He was very good alongside Nate Schmidt, for instance (until Schmidt was benched because he wasn't a grizzled vet lol).

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 19, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why that's Brooks Orpik money!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Dumoulin seems like the elusive defensive defenseman who is actually good at defense. Not sure if that's worth $4.1M or not but it doesn't seem terrible.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That's almost Brooks Orpik money!

Yes I will be making this statement every time a similar contract is signed

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm going to start an NHL stats site and then get hired by some team in their "analytics department".

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

According to that one guy it costs $100-200k a year to run one.

I'm just going to make a Google Sheet, populate it with made up numbers, give the columns fancy sounding names, and wait until Garth Snow calls to offer me a job.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/895254136001884160

missed opportunity to call it the capital one center

the cap center

And a missed opportunity for fans to refer to it colloquially as the COC.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/status/897182106966773760

I don't know if Lawton has any real inside knowledge but it would own so hard if Boston lost yet another young talent.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't know who that reporter guy is but lol if someone as good as Athanasiou has to play in loving Russia because his team is too dumb to sign him.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Just as I'd started to mentally put the Caps' summer behind me.

Didn't you see? The Capitals have moved Braden Holtby to LW to replace Johansson. Pretty ingenious IMO.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Jets' special teams have really sucked too. #26 of 30 in both PP and PK over the past 3 seasons, along with having by far the most minor penalties in the NHL over that time period.

Honestly they should can Paul Maurice given their failures on special teams. Coaching has a big influence on special teams and he's not really getting the job done in that department.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 25, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Where the gently caress was this MAF against the Capitals this year? Or where the gently caress was a decent Braden Holtby?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Fleury is inconsistent. But, that means sometimes he's really good.

He's also been the primary reason we lost a few years, so there is that too.

Even in 2009 he was garbage against the Capitals. It was just that the rest of the team was so drat good that year that it didn't matter.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 5, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

just give them a chest camera like police wear and hope they don't turn it off to avoid being prosecuted for a crimehide their screw ups

"Odd, the camera keeps 'malfunctioning' when Subban or Byfuglien defend the blue line"

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Congrats Jamwad Hilder/Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I like Johansson as much as the next guy but "elite" is not a word I'd use to describe him. Still hate that he had to go because Orpik is still on the roster (and because they gave Oshie his insane contract) but at least they managed to lock up Kuznetsov and Orlov long term.

It's heresy to mention it but if Ovechkin has another down year I really wouldn't be against shopping him around the league. He's provided really good value for most of his contract but he's getting up there in age and $9.5M is a lot to pay for a declining winger, even if he is still good.

• Locked thread