Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
multitools, never heard the OMT thing before, are legit awesome, they just need a better name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That is one really pain in the rear end job that OMT’s make really easy. There’s no other good way to trim already installed trim.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The flooringis being a bastard in a way I don't care to document right now, so back to the outside.

Dig finally fully dug.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

On with the base.

New connector in the nailgun.

Unpacked the ground screws.

All present, but they sent me a loving rental tool after I paid full price for it. I've emailed them to have a whinge.

Confirmed the average board thickness and firmed up these numbers.

First board cut.

Visited by a skittish neighbourhood kitty.

Frame laid out.

Single screw on each connection gives enough constraints to bring everything into line.

That's it for today. I need the nailgun to fix the rest (and add to the existing joints) and I couldn't be hosed to drag the hose out at the end of the session only to put it all away again. More progress tomorrow.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I just recently got a 2nd fix brad nailer. I wish i got one years ago.

Had a bit of a speed wobble when I thought it wouldn’t take 15mm brads (the manual says 20-50) but turns out 15 work fine. Very handy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I completely forgot you were sinking a wooden platform below grade and have been expecting to see concrete forms to pour a slab any post now. Are you going to put some kind of vapor barrier between the bottom of the hole and the frame? You could almost fill the wooden frame up with concrete just to keep it from filling with water.

How the heck are you going to keep that giant hole you’ve dug from becoming a giant puddle and your shed from becoming a boat? Maybe y’all don’t get 12” of rain regularly in a weekend and it isn’t a concern, but definitely think about putting the eaves out as far as possible with gutters or something. Or buy the kind of treated lumber used for marine/pier construction or something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I completely forgot you were sinking a wooden platform below grade and have been expecting to see concrete forms to pour a slab any post now. Are you going to put some kind of vapor barrier between the bottom of the hole and the frame? You could almost fill the wooden frame up with concrete just to keep it from filling with water.

How the heck are you going to keep that giant hole you’ve dug from becoming a giant puddle and your shed from becoming a boat? Maybe y’all don’t get 12” of rain regularly in a weekend and it isn’t a concern, but definitely think about putting the eaves out as far as possible with gutters or something. Or buy the kind of treated lumber used for marine/pier construction or something.

Someone hasn't been paying attention. The base will be raised 6" up on ground screws (they're right there in the post) which is the recommended minimum from TRADA, and the building will be ringed with good drainage (the soil here drains well) and/or actual drains. There will be gutters that drain to the sewer because this is a civilised country.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ground screw company have offered to sell me the rental tool (now an ex-rental, I suppose) at half price, which is something I was going to suggest anyway, so all is OK there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Interested to see how you get on with the ground screws, the only reason I didn't use them was they were overkill for my cabin. They look like a great product.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've seen ground screws used here for decks and such like, but I've never seen anyone dig away the soil beforehand. I confess I don't understand why?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've seen ground screws used here for decks and such like, but I've never seen anyone dig away the soil beforehand. I confess I don't understand why?

Two factors. First I’d like to have the finished floor level with the ground outside. I could live with a ramp, but the second factor is that there’s strict height limits on buildings based on ground level, so I’d lose over a foot of head height just to the substructure, and I hate low ceilings.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

One wierd trick, planners hate this

Bury your shed

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Someone hasn't been paying attention. The base will be raised 6" up on ground screws (they're right there in the post) which is the recommended minimum from TRADA, and the building will be ringed with good drainage (the soil here drains well) and/or actual drains. There will be gutters that drain to the sewer because this is a civilised country.
That all makes sense-I didn’t realize the ground screws would raise it up that much. I thought they would raise it like an inch or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

One wierd trick, planners hate this

Bury your shed

My solution was just to be short

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That all makes sense-I didn’t realize the ground screws would raise it up that much. I thought they would raise it like an inch or something.

Yeah the norm seems to be bean-can height, they can go up to 300mm but that seems a lot to me.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My solution was just to be short

Yeah sometimes I wish I was. I'd fit better in my car, for one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah the norm seems to be bean-can height, they can go up to 300mm but that seems a lot to me.

Other brands go much further and can be used to compensate for significant slopes, I've seen layouts up to 1500mm of raise. Looks sketchy AF but they'll contract and guarantee it so whatever.

https://nmd-northwest.co.uk/ for example

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 20, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

From what I know of wildlife in the UK (mostly from the Wildlife Aid youtube channel) the hedgehogs and foxes will spend a lot of time under there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

From what I know of wildlife in the UK (mostly from the Wildlife Aid youtube channel) the hedgehogs and foxes will spend a lot of time under there.

I've not seen any hedgehogs around here, but there used to be a mangy fox from time to time before the new fence went up. I had one living under an old shed in a previous house.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
In between reading the first and last post of this thread I've learned a lot about how the UK's massive anti union blacklist, how this depresses skill in the trades, and the shockingly low standard of quality from builders. Now I see why JB has been so loving fanatical about doing this all himself.

Good work

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

There will be gutters that drain to the sewer because this is a civilised country.

You're allowed to do that are you? I'm not unless theres absolutely no alternative

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You're allowed to do that are you? I'm not unless theres absolutely no alternative

Yeah.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I thought that if you build a place from scratch you're supposed to split rainwater from sewerage, but any house older than idk 40 years or whatever wouldn't even have separate connections to do it if you wanted to so you get a pass.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I thought that if you build a place from scratch you're supposed to split rainwater from sewerage, but any house older than idk 40 years or whatever wouldn't even have separate connections to do it if you wanted to so you get a pass.

The building is (by design) too small to be subject to the building regulations so it doesn't matter anyway, but if you can do on-site drainage (like a soakaway) you should, but the AD says at least 5m from any building which would be impossible once this is up. Second choice is separate drains, but as you say that's not an option. The house (and possibly entire street) is on combined drains/sewers from over a hundred years ago.

The whole house (two houses now, in fact) drain all water into the one shared combined sewer.

I'll have rainwater capture so hopefully that'll reduce the strain on the system, but all this went into the council application that they signed off on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nail gun set up.

Not fun to do, but done.

Second one is a bit easier.

That's me wiped out for the day. I had to go back over some of the nails after I found out the gun was only firing a nail half the time, see here, but it wasn't too bad. Hoping to have the other two frames done tomorrow.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Materials cut for the last two frames.

Copy..

.. paste..

.. paste..

.. translate and rotate.

Tomorrow will be a rest day.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Of course no rest day would be complete without several bulk deliveries, including the roofing membrane which is over 25kg on its own. What's a person got to do to laze in bed watching youtube these days.

Oh and the retailer managed to send the delivery to the wrong address so now I'm on hold with them to make sure the other delivery today isn't also going to the other side of town.

Edit: Answer from the supplier: :shrug:

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 23, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ground screw time.

Clamped the frames together so I can mark the supports.

While I'm at it, drilled the bolt positions and bolted them together.

Bolts are a bit long, so I've ordered shorter ones and some square washers.

Two bolted together.

That's enough to position the structure, so I grabbed some sheets of melanine-coated hardboard I had lying about and set them up as something to bounce a laser off so I can make it parallel with the house.

With that done, attached the third.

And the fourth.

It's sagging a little at the joins because it's not supported properly yet, but it's good enough for these purposes.

Marked the screw positions with survey paint. Ever tried to spraypaint dry dusty soil? It's not easy.

Moving those frames is a real gently caress, especially without scuffing the marks on the ground. They've gotta be over 100kg each.

Big drill.

Drill.. the ground?

Only one of them hit something solid. I switched on hammer mode and pushed through it, hopefully it's just a small piece of something that the screw can push aside, otherwise I'll have to dig out a section and refill it.

Screws in to hand tightness.

They're not going anywhere now, so that'll do for the day. I'll set up the laser level and screw them in properly next time.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp
It's looking pretty good at this stage. Any worries about drainage/stagnant water after it's built? Or is there a plan for that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I reckon it’ll be right.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

It's looking pretty good at this stage. Any worries about drainage/stagnant water after it's built? Or is there a plan for that?

it goes down into the ground? also once theres a building on top there won't be any water going there

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Going was tough so I added some water. Unfortunately the output hole on some of the screws were clogged so I had to take them back out again.

Decent progress.

All done. The ones which absorbed the water properly were much easier, around a 50% success rate with that approach.

Caps.

Frames.

I did forget to put the soil membrane down before putting the frames back on so I'll have to work around them, but they're not screwed down yet so not a big deal.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this has been my introduction to ground screws and my old man brain is spinning

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's certainly an interesting building method and I'm enjoying reading you do it and think through it JB.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The landscapers that we’re booked out til spring and has a 6 week lead time just for a site visit cancelled on me 7 hours before said site visit, and are no longer taking jobs in this area.

I’m pretty pissed off.

I’ve still no intention of doing the landscaping myself, just won’t be with them. Of course none of the other landscapers got back to me with estimates after the site visits.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that's a dick move, hope you find someone else.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

isnt it flat anyway?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's the UK, he probably wants a shrubbery.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

isnt it flat anyway?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jaded Burnout posted:

The landscapers that we’re booked out til spring and has a 6 week lead time just for a site visit cancelled on me 7 hours before said site visit, and are no longer taking jobs in this area.

What the ever-living gently caress. Were they supposed to be installing things or just coming out to look at the site?