Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

The d&d rules are a bitch and I don't want to learn them myself and teach my friends

Play Apocalypse World or Blades in the Dark then. Or Dungeon World if the DnD aesthetic is important to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

In a perfect world everyone would play Dungeon World but I think the fact that it's so rules-light means it relies a lot more on genre/trope assumptions that people new to tabletop games wouldn't be familiar with. Still, worth a shot, and everyone has a couple D6s laying around.

e: don't recommend a game with Sex Moves to people new to tabletop games though, come on

If you're all goddamned adults you should be capable of handling the presence of what are basically character-driven sex jokes. They're a useful weirdo filter if nothing else.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

UWBW posted:

I know I'm gonna regret posting this because this one's on me, but whatever. I went to a local card/game shop with a buddy of mine who had been there many times before. I had never been, but we were going to be playing D&D for the first time and I was gonna be buying my very own set of dice. I was unbelievable stoked. The girl behind the register is pretty cute, but I'm just talking with my buddy and not really paying attention to the transaction.
Suddenly, she taps me on the shoulder and says "Hey, what's your number?"
My mind basically froze, and I said something like "Uh, I barely know you, though..."
She glares at me, and points at the register's screen, which is asking me to type in my phone number. I say "Sorry! Didn't realize!" and punch it in.
She's still glaring at me, and says, real quiet, "My boyfriend's over there, you know," pointing to some guy in the back. "He's right there. You wanna talk to him?"
"Uh, no, no thanks."
"Because I can bring him over here, you know."
"No, fine, message received, thanks."
"You sure?"
"Yeah. Crystal clear, thanks."
She legit sneererd at me as we walked out the door... I guess that kind of defensive behavior is what happens when you get hit on by weird nerds all day long. Made me really uncomfortable, though.

Edit: oh, and the dudes behind the counter were shouting out harry potter spells the whole time

You ain't in the wrong here, and thanks for sharing this sort of thing.

My local nerd poo poo place has a really bad problem with stalky clerks. I don't really want to talk about stuff when I'm just killing time shopping, but they seem to take every pull-this-down-and-look-at-it as an opportunity to launch into a conversation about the multiverse associated with whatever I've picked up, and they don't seem to take "I'm just browsing" or "I've never seen it" for an answer. I've stopped going because I never actually wanted any of the stuff that was on sale, I just liked looking at it, and every single time I'd be talked at by the kind of person who constantly and overtly stares at your girlfriend's chest.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

omnibobb posted:

You're the weirdo in several peoples stories, aren't you?

If you look around the game store and can't see the weirdo, it's you.

PCOS Bill posted:

Guy talk is for any time two guys talk, bro. Unclench a little.

Aww, poor little snowflake can't take even the slightest amount of indirect criticism.

If your idea of "guy talk" is telling random strangers that you'd totally do that girl, you need to find actual friends.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Maybe she wore that top because she could trust it to distract the creepy nerd on the other side of the table

I mean, look at the responses from some of folks in this thread. It'd work on them, no matter how enlightened or woke or meta aware they're claiming to be.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

magikid posted:

I'm really trying to imagine this guy's version of the story.

Eh, digging up an overleveled enemy seems like you short-circuited his ultra-clever finely-tuned railroad and he just decided to, rather than wing it and put something else there, keep his enemy layout exactly as it was and kill you off.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

This was exactly how he played it off. "If I were you guys I'd have gone North to fight the bandits you heard about" and "I just lay out my world and let my players interact with it for good or ill."

Like, dude we discovered a basement of cultists and a secret passage in the bottom of the pub you started us in. You really expected us to turn and grind on some thieves?

What a totally poo poo DM. I can smell the World of Warcraft on him from here.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Golden Bee posted:

r/rpg is SURPRISINGLY pro-PbTA now. The top posts are usually "Go with it" or "Talk to the player OOC you dumbass."

It's really hard to not love that system, if just for how over-the-top the fighter classes always are in every variant I've seen (but also the fact that it genuinely tries to tell the GM what to loving do which has always been a problem in DnD and the like).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grandmother of Five posted:

Not a gaming-store story, but it is close enough to be on topic imo, and a lovely enough experience to make up for that.

So, my friend and I were probably 12 years old, and our local small-town library had a couple of role-playing events; one for just kids early in the day, and one later on for anyone older. So, we sign up for the kids' one, and had an Ok time, but when asked whether we had fun, told the organizer that we had hoped it'd be more creative, like, improve theater-ish, and we were then recommended to check out the later event for non-kids, which made us feel pretty grown up & cool.

At this event we were the only ones younger than, I'm guessing, mid-20s, but it might just have been that everyone appeared to be a grown-up, and we didn't recognize anyone else, other than the guy running the kids' event earlier in the day. Apparently he had a gaming-store in a nearby larger town. and most everyone else were like hangers-on.

Anyway, the organizers split everyone up into two gaming groups, and my friend and I were placed in separate groups. The game is some crime mystery detective noir thing, and we both end up getting the token female-character assigned in each of our groups, which was a sort of "femme fatale" character. The organizer in my group was the dude who ran the game for kids earlier in the day, and he did a good job at including me in an appropriate way, and I had fun, but my friend was guided into role-playing some really inappropriate stuff, the worst of which, as I remember, was probably, that in a scene where an informant is meant to be pressured for information, my friend was cajoled into making a deal with the informant by role-playing that her character was giving him a blow job, describing that and being encouraged to make gestures.

what the flying gently caress

Somfin has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Sep 1, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

You see it a lot in gaming. Dude started wearing anime t-shirts with clear depictions of children on them. He got a new girlfriend later that year and she had a 4 year old daughter.

You can guess what happened from there.

Arrests, right? Like, full on arrests that happened before anything went wrong and no-one got hurt and he's in mandatory therapy / jail now, right? :ohdear:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

timefly posted:

Why would anyone be arrested if nothing had happened yet

Bring on the Minority Report future.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I walked into the local fetid nerd dungeon with my VERY ATTRACTIVE wife and BOTH of her huge boobs on one of the rare occasions when she has an off-day from lingerie modeling. As the disgusting hamdemon rang up my Funko Pops while leering at her DD cups he casually asked me if I was going to have sex with my "very attractive wife" (his words not mine!).

"Yes!" I shouted so that the whole store could hear, "Me and my very large dong are absolutely going to be having sex with this SUPER-HOT chick who I AM in a relationship with." I then took the Funko pops, my hot wife, both of her huge boobs, and rode off on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, plotting on how to relate this story and the great sex I'm having in order to increase my social standing on the Something Awful forums.

Thank god she didn't leave one behind this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Good. I had to stop going to MtG fridays because the constant parade of hot wives coming in and out made it impossible to keep my focus on cheating

:thunk:

• Locked thread