Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Day of Sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Junk posted:

Not advisable for tourists to visit the canals at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Anna Navarre is supposed to be Israeli lmao

In a game full of terrible accents that is still incredible

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

I haven't played Prey but the only game that even kind of feels close to Deus Ex is E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

Vampire: the Masquerades: Bloodlines is a lot like Deus Ex. Down to the awkward late-90s electronic dance clubs and an obviously rushed final act.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CassandraZara posted:

lol @ anyone who is like "this game made in 2000 (ancient history for computers) is dated and I don't like it"

can't believe The Odyssey doesn't follow three act structure

ugh the black and white scenes look so bad in Wizard of Oz

real lack of reverb and autotune on William Tell Overture

Deus Ex was ugly and opaque the day it came out, tho

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
MJ12 Soldier: [coughs]

Jose posted:

Square considered every game for ages a failure been if it sold a few million copies because they wasted so much money on one of the final fantasies and as a result targeted 10 million sales

To be fair I remember reading that Mankind Divided actually did sell pretty poorly for a big AAA game and compared to Human Revolution. I loved the poo poo out of HR but I didn't buy MD after they put out the Director's Cut of HR a year after release I figured I would just wait until they inevitably did the same with MD. Also after the Augment Your Preoder debacle and the news that they were leaning so hard into DLC and microtransactions I wasn't going to be an early adopter, and the reviews complaining about it being essentially unfinished and having single-use DLC certainly didn't change my mind.

the mean lunch lady posted:

What are the good mods to get for someone who has never played the game before? I bought it a couple months ago, but didn't start playing until I read this thread.

I would definitely second Biomod. It has Shifter built in which fixes some small glitches and balance issues and adds some extras like unique weapons hidden in levels, but Biomod is huge ease of use improvement because instead of having a dozen different augmentations that all have to be manually toggled and micromanaged it makes some be always active and not require power while other are context sensitive and only activate as needed.

Like, if you've played Human Revolution imagine if you had to manually switch on the augs that did things like reduce bullet damage or you fall without taking damage and that's what vanilla/Shifter Deus Ex is like and what Biomod fixes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The dumb thing about Mankind Divided was that they tried the exact same bullshit of being essentially unfinished and ending with a sequel hook with the tablet game and it also underperformed and led to a planned trilogy being aborted.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

remember doom4 had like no marketing, and what bethesda published and put out was intentionally slowed down like 50% gameplay videos showing cinematic punch-kills over and over and everything thought the game was going to be some slow piece of poo poo?

Actually CrowbCat did a side-by-comparizon of the E3 reveal and the final game and it's exactly the same aside from some graphical effects. That's just some bullshit turbonerds made up to try and avoid admitting that they were wrong lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That sounds pretty great actually

~:razz: teh llama cult :iamafag:~

-throws spork-

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

In fact I think he's more like an animated piece of furniture in the game engine than an actual NPC

You can totally knock out an MiB with a riot prod jab or two to the small of the back, and doing so means they don't self-destruct so you can loot them. They're usually carrying good stuff.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8SmsrP7QQk

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Witcher 3 is a game where 90% of the game is walking to a quest marker on your map, talking to the Quest Giver, going to new quest marker on your map, turning on Detective Vision, and then clicking on or following whatever glows until you return to the quest giver and get a reward. I mean there are plenty of games that are like that but at least games like the Arkham series have actually good, fluid combat and aren't bogged down by Polish DILF Dating Sim 2015 and the illusion of morality and choice by letting you turn down quest rewards.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I still can't believe Bob Page was just some dude who worked there, he has a rad voice.

Also the hidden interrogation scene with Walton Simons has an even more hidden part where if you slip into the cell while the door is open you can chat with the prisoner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHE_BGGrVGE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

jBrereton posted:

being pissed off that the Keycard made a bunch of noise and attracted baddies because they coded it weirdly.

I never got past the first hub of The Nameless Mod because of the terrible internet forum in-joke setting and the city map being so massively open that it took forever to get anywhere, but some of the actual gameplay changes they made were cool:

-There was a new type of security camera that was manned by a person and not an AI, and if you could find the guy running it and knock him out/kill him it would stop triggering alarms
-The difficulty selection broken down so that in addition to a set overall difficulty you could also toggle individual settings like player health, enemy health, enemy quantity, and loot quantity
-You could do unarmed attacks with your bare hands and also equip gloves for different effects to your punches
-added a weapon crafting system so you could do things like make molotov cocktals

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Guy who has encyclopedic knowledge of game writers going back over a decade: lol look at how much this guy cares about a thing

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The boss in Human Revolution was great because his voice actor always sounded like he was five seconds away from going "Hey Aaaadaaaaam, you got any weed maaaaan?" at an moment.

Another good comedy moment in Human Revolution is that part when the anti-aug dude and Sandoval are outside of Seriff's office and making a scene as you leave, because they recorded the dialogue before they realized that their engine wouldn't let them do dialogue scenes between more than two people so they had to edit a three-person argument down to one dude yelling awkwardly over the other dude's shoulder as you talk to them

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lunchabully posted:

This is a good strat but personally I prefer blocking the stairway with TNT crates, making noise to attract as many friends as possible, then using a single crossbow dart to turn them all into high velocity dog food

What an expensive mistake you turned out to be.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

texting my ex posted:

whats the name of the deus ex 1 mod that adds a funny mission and takedowns

I wish that re-edit of the opening was an actual mod.

Or that the guy who made it did more, or really anything aside from getting bought up my Machinima and then vanishing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The PS2 version had CGI intro and ending cutscenes, partially to dress up being a port of a 2 year-old game that didn't look that amazing when it debuted and partially because thanks to making the maps smaller to fit on consoles they could no longer physically use the in-engine cutscenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_al2NCcfUoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye68o5tRgLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtq7L2zphPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhVxTxjS-Y

Also they cleaned up the logo a bit to make it more obvious that it was supposed to be a stylized D and X.

And the JC Denton character model is slightly more high-poly, though it's really jarring since everything else was unchanged.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I played it on PS2 a few years after I played it to to death on PC, mostly just morbidly curious about how you make a console port of the most PC-rear end PC game to not be Civilization or an RTS. It's definitely clunky and the way they break down some maps into smaller areas or even redesign a few areas entirely is objectively worse than the base game but the skill systems and RPG elements are all there, they got rid of the body part damage and replaced it with a single health bar so it's objectively easier since you can never be crippled or get one-shot by sniper headshots. Also there's no inventory tetris, it uses a simplified list format that errs on the side of caution so so you can haul tons of stuff with a little fiddling.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arrhythmia posted:

Holy poo poo the logo was supposed to be a DX?

their proprietary file extension is even .dx

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

Deus Ex predicted the future
-World Trade Center gone
-Internet being subverted to make spying on people easier
-Whole world gets turned into a big oligarchy
-Terrorist hysteria after a attack rapidly advances the police state like nature of the US
such militarizing the police even more
-Future Detroit still sucks

Other things Deus Ex predicted:

Wall-mounted computers
PDAs being as common and disposable as paper
Standard office desktops having both floating holographic screens and boxy wired telephones
Lightsabers
giant chairs
the cold war

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the visionary future of Deus Ex keyrings have been replaced with a single all-purpose nanomachine key but newspapers are still a thing lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The year is 2052. JC Denton lights up a cigarette indoors and sighs as he faxes a check to make his monthly payment on his hovercar.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah the Greys were cool. Like, aliens technically exist but they're just clones we grew in a lab and even if it is from outer space it's effectively worthlss since raising a sentient being in a closet devoid of contact with its own kind and no culture just creates a worthless husk of a creature.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
http://www.it-he.org/deus.php

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

lol

An alternative way to perform the 'rescue' is to lock yourself in Paul's cupboard for a few minutes while he goes around slaughtering everyone, and then quietly sneak out the front door.

I believe Shifter fixes that part by making it so that Paul is no longer invincible in the attack but leaving via the back window no longer automatically flags him as dead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

It's cool all the things Deus Ex got right
-Surveillance state and internet being used by both governments & corporations to spy on people
-Corporations getting even more powerful
-US going completely crazy because of a terrorist attack
-Detroit still sucks
-Data Mining
-AIs even though it's not the Sci Fi type cliches

Did you consume any media made before the year 2000 other than videogames and children's cartoons? Because that's the only way I can see someone thinking that these broad sci-fi tropes that had been popular for decades are something Deus Ex "got right"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I would never describe Paul as "dark" or "serious"

Unless you're playing as Black Denton, then Maggie just seems kind of racist

etalian posted:

Maybe JC Trenton's trench coat makes sense since how else can you store 50 candy bars?

It's JC Tenton. As in "ten ton"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo

Deus Ex developers had to have been :350: when they made this game

It's sad but also funny how in almost 20 years none of the dudes who made Deus Ex have been able to make anything good despite multiple instances of getting to helm productions with way more freedom and control than most established developers ever dream of.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

It's a testament to the PS2 that Deus Ex was only ported to that console.

HL2 and Doom 3 were ported to the original Xbox more or less entirely unchanged and Doom even had an exclusive co-op campaign, which is impressive as heck on a lot of level

it also makes people trying to blame DX: Invisible War and Thief 3 on consoles instead of the developers using a literally unfinished engine that much funnier

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The time between the release of the Xbox and Deus Ex: Invisible War was actually shorter than the time between the release of Deus Ex and the PS2 port. Considering that the PS2 was he only next-gen console that was even out when Deus Ex was released and the PS2 version came out just months after the Gamecube and Xbox hit retail it wouldn't really make sense to spend all the time and resources porting the original when the sequel was already a year away.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

A lot of artistic shortcomings of IW that I remember did have to do with cutting graphical resources to the bone. the textures were coarse, the facial animations were rigid, no in-game cutscenes or vistas, etc
IDK whether that was due to storage constraints or they had only one artist working on the game, but I've assumed the former.

On the other hand it had a bunch of cutting-edge and resource-intensive poo poo like the dynamic lighting and physics that had zero effect on the actual gameplay and would have been cut or at least drastically pared down in a more competent development environment.

Blue Raider posted:

i read once, years ago, that the guy that wrote the code for invisible war straight up ghosted halfway through development and nobody else knew how to work with the engine. the end result was that they had to backwards engineer this cat's chintzy code and that was a reason a lot of that game was fundamentally hosed up

My favorite example of what a shitshow IW is under the hood is that every gun in the game uses the exact same texture file.

Also thatthe difficulty settings don't work because when you transition to a new map the entire program closes and then reopens and it returns to the default setting in the process.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The version of the engine that they used for Thief: Deadly Shadows was sightly more complete/functional and modders have been able to do a lot to fix it up like merging all the tiny maps into proper huge levels, there's nothing quite on par with that for Invisible War but earlier this year somebody put out [an unofficial patch that lets it run at modern resolutions and apparently helps with some of the performance issues.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

"Removing redundancy" should be a huge red flag when developing a Deus Ex style game. Most of the appeal of the game is that there are dozens of different ways to do everything, and depending on how you play, you might come across all of them or one of them and no matter what it's equally valid.

There are dozens of different ways to do everything, but most of them involving crawling through convenient human-sized ventilation ducts.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Alpha Protocol would legit be better as an adventure game or even a glorified visual novel because the way that you can effect so many things and how the whole plot takes several playthroughs to really wrap your head around it all is the best thing about and padding it out with hours of mediocre third-person stealth action just gets in the way of it all.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Alpha Protocol definitely has shades of Deus Ex, though it plays very differently. But the storytelling, weird (branching) scenarios, and overall bizarre feel are pretty Deus Ex.

Alpha Protocol didn't begin with you using 0451 as a door code so it isn't a true Immersive Sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtAyycx-uY

If you're the kind of person who watches dudes theorycrafting about video games on YouTube the latest Errant Signal about the legacy of Looking Glass Studio and all the games like Deus Ex and Bioshock and Dishonored and Prey that all share its DNA is a good listen. His point about these types of games having plots where your character serves as a mediating force between extreme viewpoints is something the Invisible War chat has had me thinking about, because for all its faults the entire plot about the two different factions secretly being controlled by the same people is a great example of that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gazpacho posted:

"hard at first, but gets easier" is a crazy dumb way to design a game

Deus Ex is a game where you are basically unkillable a third of the way through when you get the regen aug and then they give you an infinite use laser sword that kills anyone in one hit just to make absolutely sure it loses all it's challenge.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

I can quote most of deus ex lines off the top of my head, but not Walton Simon's in the boss fights because I think 9 times out of 10 I just speed aug and jump past him and leave him at the bottom of the ocean

If you leave him alive doesn't he show up for a rematch at Area 51? Or is that just a Shifter/Biomod thing like Smuggler's friend actually showing up at his place if you rescue him from the MJ12 sewer base or being able to eavesdrop on a phone call at one of the desks in the base leading up to Lebedev's air field.

Lunchabully posted:

if you liked the first one you'll like the second but you'll get to the end and be like "yeah, that was nice but I'm done". It's really pretty and plays well and has a well-realized world but it's a sequel in the truest sense. It takes absolutely no risks and is really just more of the same game.

also if you're the kind of person who cares about plot in their murder simulators it doesn't even bother with the kind of predictable "twist" that the first one had. you'll know within 15 minutes of playing the game exactly how the story will go

I haven't played Dishonored 2 yet because I've been burned by Bethesda's DLC pricing schemes in the past* but the fact that the sequel also takes place during a plague because That's What Dishonored Is About I Guess seems really lazy and uninspired.

*I still haven't played the DLC for the original Dishonored because they do that thing where buying the DLC for the base game is always more expensive than buying the Super Deluxe GOAT Platinum Edition that has everything bundled into a separate executable so they can artificially inflate their sales numbers

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

canpakes posted:

I miss the old kind a video game where they were actually puzzles and stuff. Now every game you have to do some stupid questions like collect 20 huge green grapes to proceed. It's pathetic and I miss the old games

Such classic Deus Ex puzzles as "use code on keypad", "use key on door", and "use hacking and lockpick skill to open door without using key"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nerfing the Dragon's Tooth's ability to cut through doors by splitting the damage up from 100 a hit to 20x5 was something that was patched into the vanilla version shortly after release.

As :rolleyes: as it was to have everyone in Hong Kong be running around with swords the fact that it was because of sound sensors that automatically detected gunshots was kind of cool and I wish they did more with it; in the final season of Person of Interest one of the ways the evil social engineering AI subtly manipulates law enforcement is by having them install gunshot sensors and then intentionally hiding any crimes that serve its ends while using false positives to draw attention to its enemies.

• Locked thread