Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
https://winkeyless.kr/product/b-87-ex-x2-pcb/

Complete kit is pricey though as you would expect.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93954.0

This one is also pretty slick.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

My Jades Addiction continues. TADA68 kit with the new retooled Box Jades (Navy spacebar), and clipped/lubed Cherry stabilizers.

I just got the cheapest kit and was thinking I'd upgrade the caps when I had the budget and saw something I liked, but the included caps are really nice... much nicer than they look on the website. I absolutely love the form factor as well, so I think this is going to be my daily driver.

The only negatives I came across are the crappy boot loader on the PCB, and an issue with using PCB-mounted stabilizers on the spacebar. The PCB has stabilizer mounting holes, but the spacebar ones are upside-down compared to the rest of the 2U ones, and the relief cuts in the mounting plate which are supposed to give clearance to the stabilizer bar are on the wrong side. I had to dremel out notches in the plate, which was an absolute nightmare.

Anyways I highly recommend the kit, especially to anyone on a budget... just get plate-mounted stabilizers if you replace the stock ones.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 26, 2018

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I really enjoy Matias lately, I think their clicky switches are much better then mx blues and they cost about the same.

Pumprag fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 26, 2018

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

AgentCow007 posted:

My Jades Addiction continues. TADA68 kit with the new retooled Box Jades (Navy spacebar), and clipped/lubed Cherry stabilizers.

I just got the cheapest kit and was thinking I'd upgrade the caps when I had the budget and saw something I liked, but the included caps are really nice... much nicer than they look on the website. I absolutely love the form factor as well, so I think this is going to be my daily driver.

The only negatives I came across are the crappy boot loader on the PCB, and an issue with using PCB-mounted stabilizers on the spacebar. The PCB has stabilizer mounting holes, but the spacebar ones are upside-down compared to the rest of the 2U ones, and the relief cuts in the mounting plate which are supposed to give clearance to the stabilizer bar are on the wrong side. I had to dremel out notches in the plate, which was an absolute nightmare.

Anyways I highly recommend the kit, especially to anyone on a budget... just get plate-mounted stabilizers if you replace the stock ones.

I recently built the yd68, which is basically this board plus Bluetooth and usb c. It’s a great setup.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
is the Ducky One 2 any good? should i get the full size DUcky One 2

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

is the Ducky One 2 any good?

Yes

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

should i get the full size DUcky One 2

Sure, I'm not your dad/spouse/financial advisor

Real answer: what do you want out of a keyboard, specifically?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Question: How do those arrowless keyboards handle arrow keys? Is it an Fn function thing where they take over WASD or something?

I'm liking the form factor of 60% keyboards but that's worrying me a little because I move around a lot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Artelier posted:

Question: How do those arrowless keyboards handle arrow keys? Is it an Fn function thing where they take over WASD or something?

I'm liking the form factor of 60% keyboards but that's worrying me a little because I move around a lot.

A lot of them are programmable so you can hold an alt key (or toggle one) to have a different keymap. Then you could use wasd as arrows or hjkl (more old school) or whatever you prefer.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Yes

Sure, I'm not your dad/spouse/financial advisor

Real answer: what do you want out of a keyboard, specifically?

the lowest profile full-size i can get at a low price point. cherry browns preferred if clears aren't available. no need for backlighting or other gimmicks. just a handsome, well-built full-size with as low a profile as i can get

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's a couple of versions of very low switches available. If you demand the lowest profile this is basically what you want without resorting to scissor switches.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074QM6F7X/

I've got the tenkeyless version and while I could really do without a lot of the bullshit LEDs and the settings for them they feel decent to type on. They're similar to a cherry blue with a bit less travel distance. Kailh low profile switches are on the Havit board and there's also some other colors sometimes called Kaihua Choc on the market but I'm not sure what keyboards those come on offhand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_ucdyi1ms

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 27, 2018

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Artelier posted:

Yep, Poker 2 does WASD, and Pok3r IJKL by default.

I thought it would be weird but it feels totally natural and perfectly quick to me. Just switching from Poker 2 to 3 was annoying. Could have changed it of course.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Artelier posted:

Yup, it's usually a combination of Fn+WASD. I personally set up all my keyboards (even ones bigger than 60%) to have the caps lock key be caps lock when tapped and function when held down. Works really well to do Fn+WASD with one hand.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Rexxed posted:

There's a couple of versions of very low switches available. If you demand the lowest profile this is basically what you want without resorting to scissor switches.

I've got the tenkeyless version and while I could really do without a lot of the bullshit LEDs and the settings for them they feel decent to type on. They're similar to a cherry blue with a bit less travel distance. Kailh low profile switches are on the Havit board and there's also some other colors sometimes called Kaihua Choc on the market but I'm not sure what keyboards those come on offhand.

yeah! okay, so the chassis of that looks great (tight spread, tiny bevel) but im set on moving away from blues. tge click has started irritating the poo poo out of me.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

the lowest profile full-size i can get at a low price point. cherry browns preferred if clears aren't available. no need for backlighting or other gimmicks. just a handsome, well-built full-size with as low a profile as i can get

I have one, it's a solid no nonsense keyboard.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

yeah! okay, so the chassis of that looks great (tight spread, tiny bevel) but im set on moving away from blues. tge click has started irritating the poo poo out of me.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like those or the Kailh choc whites are clicky (and I can only find one keyboard with those which is 60% https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3925 ). Kailh choc browns are not available in too many boards. Most of the ones I can find are tenkeyless or 60% layout. I'd probably just buy the ducky now and if you feel the need for even lower profile later then I'm sure there'll be more keyboards available with those switches later. There's also lower profile cherry caps out there for any existing MX switches.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Artelier posted:

Yup, I use ESDF with middle-space on this monstrosity I put together

I only put this together today, but it's been pretty natural so far.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Where did you get the cable, MD or custom? I still need to order a matching one somewhere.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1O8-y3vcuR8QClX1kB-gxhwCaVJ4b8tqBf4mBuyMltoc/viewform?edit_requested=true

Mechcables does great work and he’s pretty cheap comparatively.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Maybe dumb question. If i get a keyboard with a QMK or KLL configurable firmware, does that mean I can keep the same key mapping between plugging it into a Mac and PC? I'm trying to make it easier to swap between language layouts.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yup, the layout is saved on the keyboard. Though I wouldn't bother with KLL and get into QMK if you can.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Constellation I posted:

Yup, the layout is saved on the keyboard. Though I wouldn't bother with KLL and get into QMK if you can.

From the QMK faq I just found out that non-ASCII characters can't be programmed into a keymap.
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/docs/faq_keymap.md#input-special-characters-other-than-ascii-like-c%C3%A9dille-%C3%87

Goodbye dreams of a universal Turkish keyboard.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Where did you get the cable, MD or custom? I still need to order a matching one somewhere.

I got mine custom-made by Zap Cables. If you have a particularly customized idea in mind, you can email the guy, and he'll work with you. Pretty easy to work with, and the price is not bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

is the shift key intentionally upside down?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Yup, it's acting as a placeholder until the R3 blank key I got from some guy in Europe arrives. The sculpted shape of the shift key feels more comfortable to type in this orientation, too

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I actually went through the same sorta buying situation recently. Listening to sound tests on those Kailh switches, they sounded way more bearable to me than regular blues. I ended up going with a cheapass low-profile looking board with knockoff browns, but it's a tenkeyless so I dunno if that'd really count for what you're looking for.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The clicking on the Havit 390/395 is barely louder than your average scissor switch laptop board. It’s a good board, it’s pretty cheap for what it is, and everyone I know who’s bought it ended up liking it, so it gets my recommendation. A few pages back I posted this mini-review:

TheFluff posted:

[The HV-KB395L is] fine, a good upgrade over a regular scissor switch board, and it's also definitely better than any Cherry board I've tried. The keys are quite light (as in little force required), but the tactility is okay. The clicking is high pitched, but quite subdued and definitely not annoying (to me). Short travel is not a problem at all, you stop thinking about it almost immediately. There are a few downsides to it though. The caps are made of a thin, shiny ABS plastic with basically no texture from the factory, so they get that kinda slimy feeling all old ABS caps have pretty much immediately. Not too big of a deal, and especially not at this price point, but still worth mentioning. Another minor issue is that some of the switches can be made to activate before the click/tactile bump, if you carefully hover on it. Seemingly a manufacturing tolerance issue, because only some of the switches exhibit the issue (seemingly random). For regular full speed typing this isn't a problem at all and the vast majority of the time it's completely unnoticeable, but if you're the kind of person who hovers on the bump indecisively a lot I can see it becoming an issue.

In the end it's a good board and it's pretty dang cheap, so my recommendation is to go for it.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 29, 2018

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rexxed posted:

I have a macro pad with the white choc switches and it feels pretty ding dang good, and it’s not horrifically loud actually.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I ended up getting a Varmilo with Clears by the way (and just after I ordered the blues came back in). The clears are great, not sure how much is the quality of the board and the caps - all excellent - but the noise levels and resistance are just want and enjoy it seems. Enough noise without possibly being irritating and nice to type on and I love them for games as I found other keys a little too light looking back. Don't think I would change switch now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My Durgod Nebula k320 showed up.

https://i.imgur.com/s21yLcW.gifv

I've been loving around with this thing at work for like an hour now. This is easily the best keyboard under $100 I've ever seen.
The Zeus Engine software is surprisingly good as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 30, 2018

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Got my CTRL from Massdrop earlier this week, and finally got around to cracking it open. Yep, it's a darker K-Type, with better firmware, and a couple other minor tweaks. Kinda beating myself up for not buying it with caps and switches. I didn't want to waste the money on switches that I knew for certain I'd never use (I'm digging the gently caress out of the BOX Dark Yellows, many thanks to whoever in here suggested I give them a shot), but they didn't have an option to order with caps but without switches. So now I've just got a capless board sitting here, staring at me. I could steal the stark white ones off my K-Type, but I really don't want to do that. Makes me wish I had gotten in on GMK Laser.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm actually returning mine to Massdrop. I hated the K-Type's colour. This one is darker, sure. But it's wayyyyy off from the initial renders. Not even close at all.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

G-Prime posted:

So now I've just got a capless board sitting here, staring at me. I could steal the stark white ones off my K-Type, but I really don't want to do that. Makes me wish I had gotten in on GMK Laser.

There's still time left in the GMK Space Cadet drop, if that strikes your fancy and you feel like doing the group buy thing again

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Not really a fan of Space Cadet, but good call out. I briefly eyed GMK Metaverse, because today's the last day for it, but it just doesn't catch me enough to justify the cost.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I got halo clears just so i could sell them if i dont like them (on my alt)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Has anyone compared the Halo Clears/Trues with the analogous Hakos? It would be interesting to know how much difference there is between them.

I can’t say I’m too thrilled with the Hako Trues. That probably comes down to me wanting switches with less resistance and more tactility, though.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Don Lapre posted:

I got halo trues in my k type because I bought it off someone else.

Absolutely hated them. The bump is so early you can’t feel anything before it so it doesn’t feel tactile, and then the force curve ramping up is just fatiguing to type on.

If you’re a really light and shallow typer, they might be a good fit.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I'm in the market for a new fullsize ~~gaming keyboard~~. It should definitely have some dedicated media keys and preferrably disco lighting (but I can live with basic lighting).
On my current keyboard I got blue switches, but they are too clicky for me. Would browns be the next best choice if I would like to still keep some of the tactile feeling?

I looked at some keyboards and the Corsair K95 seems like a good option, even if it's a bit pricey. Do you guys have any opinion on that keyboard or could you give me some other recommendations? There's so many brands now, that I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

If I recall there have been some issues with Corsair keyboards.

I like my brown switches they are tactile while not being super clicky

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Corsair's keyboard software is rear end. Just Google "corsair cue steam" and you'll get why. Though supposedly they've completely scrapped their CUE software and moved on to a new one that supposedly fixes these issues. Still wouldn't recommend them though. If you're going for a mainstream gaming keyboard, then I suggest just going with CoolerMaster as you don't need software for it (unless you wanted extra lighting profiles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Eezee posted:

I'm in the market for a new fullsize ~~gaming keyboard~~. It should definitely have some dedicated media keys and preferrably disco lighting (but I can live with basic lighting).
On my current keyboard I got blue switches, but they are too clicky for me. Would browns be the next best choice if I would like to still keep some of the tactile feeling?

I looked at some keyboards and the Corsair K95 seems like a good option, even if it's a bit pricey. Do you guys have any opinion on that keyboard or could you give me some other recommendations? There's so many brands now, that I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices.

I'm really enjoying my Cooler Master Master Keys.l with Cherry MX Browns. Somehow not as tactile as my Asus board which also has Cherry MX Browns, but quieter. They sell Master Keys in a few sizes.