Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I would change 80% to Ten Key Less (TKL) I have never heard them referred to "80%" keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Krailor posted:

Yeah, I want backlighting. It doesn't even need to be RGB, I'd be happy with just white.

No you dont.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well I treated myself last night and ordered a ducky pocket to replace my Chinese numpad as I want macro functions.

Will post report on how it changes my life.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yes, I finally figured out how to get the little inserts out and get everything back together. The first keyboard I took all the stabilizers out and apart, and had to consult Dr. Youtoob to learn that those dumb little nylon things have a specific orientation.

For my second keyboard I was able to get the nylon things out and leave all that stuff on the keyboard making it go much faster.

I think I managed to not break anything, but I didn't re lube anything either, so now I wonder if I need to get lube and whatever thing is needed to apply said lube.

But really, with these keycaps I'm done. Well, maybe some lube.

And then maybe learn to solder so I can make and ergodox. Or two.

Have you heard about our lord and savior Topre?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I would love to try Topre but they don't make 60% boards. :(

I am so shocked you dont consider a HHKB a 60%, I mean technically its a 59% but are you that upset about losing the capslock key?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Monoprice with blues

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megabound posted:

I have a mate who, due to a motorcycle accident, needs a ergonomic macro pad for his right hand so he can continue to graphic artist comfortably. Something like a logitech G13. I tried to get him into an Ergodox but he doesn't want to spend enthusiast level money. Any recommendations?

Ducky pocket, fully programmable RGB numpad.

Its a bit strange to program but it can all be programmed inside the numpad with no external software so he can move from computer to computer and take it with him.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Already in the OP!

Honestly, I don't see why Clears are so popular. Blues and Greens are my favorite. I think my dream board right now might be a Vortex Race 3 with Greens.

Browns are terrible and blues are rude to use in an office. Clears feel like blues but don't make the noise.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Who needs backlit caps on the CODE?

https://imgur.com/a/P9e3o

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im not sure I follow, why not just buy the Pok3r from mechanicalkeyboards.com?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I actually hear nothing but hatred about their international shipping and the costs associated.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Just how hard is it to get aftermarket PBT keycaps for Topre stems? Is it even possible?

You are exclusively

Just how hard is it to get aftermarket PBT keycaps for Topre stems? Is it even possible?

You are limited to official sets made by topre meaning a black or white hhkb set or realforce sets which are solid one color (I've seen lime green, orange, red , yellow , blue and, lavender) and can go up into the hundreds of dollars due to their rarity.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I need to get a keypuller for when my Godspeed arrives in q1 2018 lol

Any recommendations on good ones?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Do the logical thing, get a realforce so there are no caps for you to buy.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
It becomes a calculator when I unplug it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I actually did get it from mechcables.com, there are other options but mech was the fastest and cheapest.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This thread has an unhealthy fascination with Cherry switches.

I'm just here preaching the Topre gospel.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Related or not you have water damage.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-pocket-rgb-mechanical-numpad/talk

If you want to pay more than retail.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://imgur.com/Zk3wTDy

Got my dumb Marble wrist wrest finally

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Looks awesome. What keycaps / board is that? Love the green accents.

Its a Topre Realforce 55G uniform, keycaps are Topre stem and fomr a HHKB set.

Limes are realforce singles from a lime set that I got off EK.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

well why not posted:

I want a super quiet board with minimal design and some level of backlighting. I'll probably be using it on mac + windows so compatibility is nice. What's the best way to get what I want?

Why do we even have the OP if nobody reads it.

Code with clears, with sound dampeners installed.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

What are 'speed switches'? Is this some crazy gamer poo poo?

Linear switches with a reduced actuation point.

It’s company’s making up lies again that linear switches are “gaming” switches.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a wireless, preferably rechargable, full size keyboard for mostly gaming? I can give or take other bells and whistles and I'd prefer to find something under $100. I have a g710+ (the brown one) right now which I like but I want to switch to wireless.

I've found the keys sometimes don't come back up quite fast enough (for things with precise timing) because I bottom out with them but I don't know if I should go with a lighter switch that comes up faster or a heavier switch so I don't bottom out?

Logitech g613, also you want a heavier switch which won’t come from Logitech.

Ditch the wireless requirement and we can give a better recommendation.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I’ve gone crazy and bought something stupid expensive.

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

My version1 WASD keyboard died. Is WASD still a solid brand? Anything better I should be looking at?

Get the one with pbt caps this time if you don’t care about the custom colors.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Anyone have any experience with Cooler Master's "mem-chanical" switches? It's impossible to get a hands-on test. I'd love an MX Brown keyboard but I'm on a budget.

I'm probably swearing in church here...

So coolermaster used to make Topre keyboards but it looks like they stripped out the guts and expensive PCB to make these. Not really going to be that much better than a regular cheap membrane.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im going to post this again so somebody else with a realforce can make an equally expensive mistake.

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Deviantfish posted:

Wonder how durable the powder coatings are...torn between gray and glossy white

Powder coating is normally pretty strong, I went with black anodized.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Deviantfish posted:

After much waffling I finally went with glossy white to contrast with my black RF keys

See you in the thread for pictures in 6-8 months

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard with a num-pad with Cherry MX Blues that isn't super ricey (non-backlit preferred) for under $100. What should I get? I'm not looking for the most quality keyboard, just for something to bring to work that doesn't suck.

Unless you have a office with a door get clears.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

foutre posted:

If you just want a red escape key, WASD sells them (though out of stock atm) as well as EliteKeyboards: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_redesc.

Neither is quite as cool as the ascend one though, alas.

So WASD makes custom singles, you could literally make a red one that says “durf”.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Holy poo poo this WASD CODE is a lot nicer than my garbo logitech wireless that bends like a taco whenever I type.

Put some thicc pbt on it now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I used to kill board that way, you are better off just learning to keep your drink elsewhere as those boards won’t do much if you spill anything that’s not water on them due to being sticky.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

You guys just don’t understand artisan culture.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What board/caps and numpad is that? Also what USB cord. Basically, tell me what everything is. I really like it.

Topre Realforce 55g uniform (black on black)

White hhkb keys I swapped from my white hhkb

Green singles (Realforce lime) I got from elite keyboards

Ducky pocket

Cable from mechcable.com

Wrist rest is royal glam marble from mass drop

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

headcase posted:

I've got that board with those black keycaps. What are your white keys? from another board? I like legible legends.

Get a hhkb set off amazon, Realforce complete sets are stupid expensive

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Topre.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Recommend me a keyboard!
  • Mechanical
  • RGB
  • Keypad
  • I don't want to build it myself
  • <$200 USD
  • On-board profile (i.e. I don't want the light color to change just because I switched which computer is connected).
Past keyboards, in case it's helpful
Asus Strix Tactic Pro with Cherry MX Brown switches which I liked a lot, but the left control key began sticking, the backlight was starting to fade, and I got sick of the color orange.

Razer Blackwidow Chroma v2 with Green switches (roughly equivalent to Cherry MX Reds). I like the tactile "bump" (similar to above), but the over-the-top clickiness is driving me nuts. The spacebar "thump" is particularly grating. Also, the RGB defaults to factory settings whenever I use a KVM because settings aren't saved on the keyboard but in Razer's software. The Asus keyboard actually stored all of its macros and profiles on-board, which was nice.

I'd consider one of the newer Asus keyboards but for the stupid :byodood: Republic of Gamers :byodood: on the spacebar. If that's the best option I'd live with it, but figured someone here might have better options.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

You want clear switches by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Why? They take more force than MX Browns, but otherwise seem very similar. Are they quieter?

You said you like blues (clicking tactile bump, reds are light touch linear switches) the clear are essentially quiet blues.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 14, 2018