Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

On the subject of custom keyboards (maybe?), does anyone know of options for programmable utility/accessory keypads? I.e. little sets of extra keys that can be used for custom purposes, without interfering with normal keyboard scancodes. Preferably something cheap and not bulky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Falcon 8 looks okay, I'll order one of those to check out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Model M supremacy :colbert:

Do you actually use the mouse stick? I have had the Unicomp version for 7 years or so by now, and ended up cutting the stick off at the base. I kept hitting it when typing, and it was almost useless for actual mousing because of uneven sensitivity and unequal travel in different directions.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I found my old Das Keyboard model II, which is really just a Cherry MX 3000 USB. I don't entirely remember when I bought and used it, but probably around 2005. A few of the switches are damaged by sugary drink, but I'm wondering if I couldn't just replace them with new MX Blues?
Does anyone know if the switches today are mechanically compatible with those from back then?

Although, I think it's more likely I'll just re-purpose the working switches for something else.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is there anything like a super detailed keyboard database to help find ones you may like?

I have some pretty specific requirements, and it seems pretty hard to fulfill them.
- Full size keyboard, numpad and dedicated F-key row are a must. No weird layouts for the navigation or arrow keys.
- The distance between the number row and the F-key row must be large enough to not accidentally hit the wrong row, probably about an index finger spacing at least.
- Tactile (or at least not mushy) switches, and quiet.
- 105 key (European) layout available. (Vertical Return key, and that extra key between left shift and Z.)
- Dedicated macro keys are a plus, but if they are there the software has to be really good.
- All else equal, I'd rather have something without RGB nonsense.

I managed to try the Logitech G915 in a store today, and it just barely fails. The key feel is a slight bit too mushy, and the spacing under the F-key row seems a little too narrow.
I already do have a 10+ year old Unicomp buckling spring in storage, I overall like the key feel and layout, but the keys are still a bit heavy and definitely too noisy. The bezel also makes it a bit large.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 7, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

handoferis posted:

Sounds to me like you want a RealForce.

Honestly I wasn't that impressed with those I tried in Japan a few months ago. I think they also only have the choice between JIS layout and US layout, and I forgot the requirement of 105 key (European) layout available.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I like the options I'm seeing here, and taking a chance with a combo from their customization. Thank you.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's Bopomofo in the red legends btw, a phonetic representation for Chinese.

(What's with the Alt and Ctrl positions on the left side, and the two backspace keys?)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I received the GMMK full size set I ordered a few weeks back today. I got Kalih Copper switches, they're decently silent, at least much less aggressive sound than the Cherryh MX Brown I was using before.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Several years ago I bought one of their Falcon 8, and my main impression of it has been that their configuration software is atrocious, at least for that model. I don't know if the software for the Falcon 8 RGB is any different though.

I can't imagine this is the best way to set up a multi-key macro.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

CoolMaster keyboard

The keyboard I replaced a few weeks ago is a CoolerMaster, not sure what exact model, but it's a 100% with white backlight.
I've not been terribly happy with the sound of the Cherry MX Brown switches, but the main thing making me switch is due to how tight the spacing is between the key sections. (E.g. between alphanumeric and F-keys, alphanumeric and navigation cluster.) The four P-keys that basically only control the backlight, placed above the numpad where the status LEDs traditionally are, have also been an annoyance to me.
Keep in mind that I'm very much a traditionalist in keyboard layouts, the ideal layout, sizing and spacing for me is IBM PC AT with Windows 95 key additions.

Edit: Reliability-wise it's been good though. No problems for the few years I used it, it has a replaceable USB cord, and did come with a keycap puller tool (basic wire one) for replacing or cleaning the caps.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sigher posted:

I just saw this linked in a Discord: https://fluxkeyboard.com/

That sounds like a new Optimus Maximus, in every aspect.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think I found a combination I like.
GMMK full size with Kailh copper switches, and a very neutral SA profile keycap set from Domikey.

I think my only complaints about the Domikey White Dolch set is the keycap legends, I would have preferred symbols on the arrow keys, and maybe some more variations of the additional "system keys" on the spacebar row (Win, Menu, Fn). But there's so few places selling SA profile sets that cover full size ISO layouts I'll make do.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 15, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm thinking of trying a setup with differentiated weights on the key switches across the keyboard, which I think is or was a thing in some commercial models too. Do anyone know of any guides or descriptions of what others have done in this? I'm not entirely sure what the search terms for it would be.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thank you. That Topre layout is somewhat different from what I imagined or think I remember, so maybe I'm chasing the wrong solution.

Despite what I posted a bit up the thread, I have an issue with accidentally activating keys when I don't mean to... maybe I did get switches with too short actuation distance after all.
Either way I've ordered some sets of heavier weight switches now to experiment with.

Am I totally misremembering about IBM keyboards having differential key weightings? When I try to search for it I only find discussions about the weight of full keyboards and nothing about the actuation or bottom-out weight of individual switches.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DeusIgnis posted:

I’ve heard of people using blue switches for the Caps/Num lock keys.

Yeah I do that, with the idea that it's more easy to notice if I hit them by accident. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, but I'm also not really seeing a negative effect. I'm also using different weighted switches for the alphanumeric keys and for modifier keys etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The neat thing about shopping keyboards in Japan is that the major chain retailers also have much of their keyboard selection on display, so you can feel them all before buying. Those are stores like Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, and Tsukumo.

The downside is that often it may be harder to find ANSI or ISO layouts. Rather a big part of the selection is JIS layout which is very annoying and useless if you don't spend all day typing in Japanese.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The key cap sets I have that came with a stepped caps keycap never had it fit on a standard layout, they always seem to want the caps key switch to be like a half or quarter unit further left.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

god please help me posted:

Try an Epomaker! They have all sorts of hotswappable models under the sun!

Except when you need an ISO layout, then they only have hosed choices.

Couldn't someone have come up with a way to arrange the switches and stems so the left Shift key could either use a wide Shift cap that covers two switches, or a short Shift cap along with the normal key left of Z. I can live with horizontal Return, but I can't live without the missing key. Most standard European layouts will have characters that are impossible to type if you're missing the extra key, and that's the real issue with ANSI layout.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

repiv posted:

who uses ISO outside of europe?

Most or all of South America (including Brazil), French Canada, some former French colonies in Africa, possibly some places in India, and kind-of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Not gonna order from outside EU if at all possible - Danish postal service takes a ~20 USD processing fee every time they have to charge import taxes, and it is vanishingly few international sellers who handle that for you

Are there any sellers within the EU who sell original cherry hot swap switches?

For Denmark, I'd suggest Max Gaming, they have a quite good selection.