Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I know this isn't the right thread but maybe someone will be able to help.

I spilled water over my Surface Ergonomic Keyboard (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-ergonomic-keyboard/90pnc9ljwpx9) and now a few keys produce weird output (e.g. pressing 'e' results in 'ze' or 'ye', depending on selected keyboard layout). Is there anything I can do or did I stupidly trash my $100+ keyboard?

I put it out to dry upside down on a rack but it's been 3 days so I don't think the keyboard will get any drier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

ufarn posted:

My return key got borked when I was cleaning my mechanical keyboard. I dried it a bunch (pressurized air is good for flushing any trapped liquids), but it still took one or two weeks before it started working again.

Give it a bit to see if it evaporates over time and see if you see any water when spraying the keys in question with air.

Zarin posted:

In cases like this, I've always had good luck stuffing the item into a large plastic tub filled with rice.

I'd say that it's unlikely that you permanently damaged anything; there is probably still something completing additional circuits when that key is pressed. (That something is probably water). I mean, hell, I spilled water on a laptop once and it survived. I've also entirely disassembled keyboards and washed them in the sink (not plugged in, of course, but the point I'm trying to make is that water isn't as destructive as you might think)

I don't know how the keyboard is constructed, but if you're relatively mechanically inclined, you could try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANfPuOuOJ38

Full disclosure: I didn't watch the video, and it seems like it's a larger/bulkier model than the one you linked, but the idea should be the same (and you might be able to find something on your model, even).

Thank you both, I'll try both tips. The keyboard looks like one piece, don't think it will be easy to disassemble.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I bought the extremely cheap Tomoko I-500 almost two years ago and I've been thinking about getting a proper-er keyboard with silent switches for almost as long. I am completely overwhelmed by options, though. The only thing I know is I don't want a full-sized keyboard anymore. Not sure if I should go 60% or even less. I don't type a lot, game quite a bit. I probably don't give a poo poo about backlight. I love the way SA caps look but mind I've never used them so I might actually hate using them. I don't like cases with visible switches. I like classic and old-school colors.

Is there any keeb/diy kit that is versatile enough and might allow me to switch lets say from regular to ortho if I want to try it out? I don't have soldereing iron and haven't decided on switches yet so I'll probably need to try a few. I like the way HHKB Type-S sounds or some of the lubed, silenced ones on Taeha Types' channel but I don't know if I like linear or tactile. The Tomoko has some blue clones and that at least made me realize I don't want clicky switches.

Also I'm from EU so that sucks for keyboard buying I'm finding.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That looks pretty good for a clone though I'm always wary of those... From what I can tell, the Micro 82 has the most normal layout, right? Atom 66 has some rare keycap sizes which I want to avoid.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thank you for the reply and exhaustive write-up. Since I have family in China I will grab it directly from Taobao and that makes the price nigh unbeatable considering how much it seems to fit my very vague requirements. I'm glad I asked here because the NIZ keyboards somehow flew under my (admittedly very spotty) radar.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Got my Niz Atom 68 and the sound is so lovely compared to my cheapo Cherry Blue knockoff keyboard. Seriously considering getting the backlit Bluetooth version, too.

The only thing that bums me out is how expensive is the aluminium replacement case someone posted about earlier because I'd definitely get it otherwise.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I guess that I'm saying is...
Please Consider ePBT Aesthetic.

As someone who's new to this, what places should I visit for the group buy? I see several vendors listed in the OP, do I just go their website, then?

fake edit:

also, is the Maxkey Berserk 3 SA a good value? I like the look of it a lot but unsure about quality

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I would like to get some ideas on a custom build:
- hot-swappable PCB that supports QMK or other open firmware
- top notch build quality
- can use my Susuwatari keycaps, TKL, full-size or 75% (in order of preference), ANSI only
- thocky switches, Box Navies but quieter?

I could budge on anything but the build quality and using my key caps if there's a good reason.

I really like the look and build quality of Ramaworks keebs (who doesn't?) but they seem to have very limited stock and some weird layouts.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 14, 2021

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Gearman posted:

There are a lot of boards that fit your criteria. Do you have a budget? How quickly would you like to have one in hand? Are you comfortable using something like mechmarket to buy, or would you prefer to go through a vendor?

I'd say $500 but I can probably go even higher if there's something worth looking at beyond that. I don't need it be immediately available and ideally it would be a vendor but that's my kneejerk reaction because I have no experience with mechmarket and the like.

Are there really that many keyboards/cases that are of such high build quality? I would like it to be built like a tank, the weight doesn't matter.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Full size is a tough ask in the custom scene. There's just not many. But you have a LOT of options in TKL and 75%. So many I don't even know where to begin.
I would say start by just perusing the IC/GB areas of Geekhack and see what tickles your fancy.

For a budget of $500, I think you're going to be fairly limited with MechMarket offerings. Most boards start out in group buy around that price and flip for double on /MM.

Gun to my head, "just give me a name" I'd say Satisfaction 75 and UTD 360 / OTD 356

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Satisfaction 75 looks pretty good though the rotary and OLED screen are not something I want on a keyboard. Do you know how much was it for when the GB was open?

I couldn't find anything on UTD 360 except imgur albums and reddit posts and researching the OTD 356 it looks more like a myth rather than something I could buy in the foreseeable future, though it seems like just the thing I'd want when it comes to build quality.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Gearman posted:

Kind of a good thing that you don't like the Sat 75, tbh, because it is a very hyped board and pretty much impossible to get. At this point, your only real option is to buy one on Mechmarket for $1k+. Their original price in the GB was $435.

The UTD is a really interesting option, and, full disclosure, I have one coming sometime in May. The UTD is a clone of the OTD 356 CL.

The OTD boards were really well designed and, in most cases, were designed to be used with a specific switch type (C for 'Clicky', 'L' for Linear denoted in the name) and for very consistent feel and acoustics across the whole board. Most boards nowadays aren't really made with that kind of detail in mind. I haven't personally used one, but a lot of people that are pretty deep in the hobby regard them as some of the best boards ever made, despite being made over a decade ago.

The designers of the UTD are very upfront about it being a clone, and tried to keep it as close to the OTD 356 CL as possible, while still being recognizable as a clone.
Most of the markings on the UTD still say 'OTD' but there is an etched logo on the inside that says 'UTD' to show that it is a UTD and not an authentic OTD. Otherwise, the board is nearly identical, aside from slightly different brass quality on the weight, and the bottom interior bezels are a little bit bigger on the UTD.

Some people in the hobby are really against clones, some people are fine with them. Personally, I'm very excited about UTD -- and the upcoming UTD Mini -- because
1.) The boards haven't been made for years, and the designer hasn't been heard from in many years as well, so the UTD isn't really taking any money out of the designer's pocket
2.) The UTD is clearly marked as a UTD and not a 1:1 copy.
3.) An authentic OTD sells for $5k+ if you can even find someone willing to sell one. Most owners of them really do not want to give them up.

If you're interested in what an OTD 356 CL sounds like, there's a great typing test video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz_1h8yH7Ds

Notice how you don't really hear the 'pop' on the spacebar like most other boards. The board, plate, and PCB were all designed to make every key as consistent to each other as possible. The UTD sounds and feels nearly identical.

Very important: the UTD / OTD 356 CL does NOT come with a Winkey or Function Key. That design will not change. So if that's a deal breaker, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Thankfully, there's someone organizing a group buy to bring UTDs to folks outside of China. Cost is $350 with an expected delivery date of August. You can find more info on his Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/m6hlk4/gb_utd_360c_with_a_north_america_vendor_now/

Thank you very much for the write-up!

The UTD 356 does sound pretty much perfect (especially loving the sound) except for the Windows key missing but I could probably get over that. But I'm not based in the US so the GB is a no go for me. I have someone in China who could buy it for me there, though. Is it buyable in China or is it only manufactured there via the GB?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Gearman posted:

Yep, if you have a friend in China, or use a service like Wegobuy, or use something like Taobao Direct, you can order one right now and it'll ship some time in May. The Taobao link is here for it:

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=610016432295&spm=1101.1101.N.N.c035378

The silver is 'Apple Silver' and the black is about as dark as you'd expect for an anodized black. The link is to the shop that has run multiple Group Buys for the UTD already, so it's a pretty safe bet that you're actually going to get one if you order from there.

Great, thanks again!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

First time I'd be interested in a keyboard with something else on it other than keys. Seems to be a nice design, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I got my Susuwatari keycaps which are coincidentally the first keycaps I've ever bought, and I love everything about them: the profile and the color is really, really nice. The one thing I don't really get is why does the base kit include the colored shift/alt/ctrl labels on the bottom rows... It doesn't look that good IMO. Yeah, you can buy the monochrome colored ones... for another $60.