Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is it just me or do Cherry Browns have absolutely NO tactility?

I've had two sets and while they SAY it's tactile, they just feel like heavy reds to me.

Cherry browns are just reds that failed to pass quality control. (I'm joking, but not really) Cherry clears are the "real" browns, in that they are actually tactile. If you want quiet tactiles, clears are your best bet for most prebuilts, since cherry is so ubiquitous in the market. Of course if you are making the board yourself, you have plenty of options for good tactile switches.

Rexxed posted:

I wasn't going to get a Durgod Fusion but then I got on a kick of buying NES color scheme peripherals from 8bitdo. Hello nostalgia, farewell money!

On the plus side, you are getting a really solid board that will be well-constructed with pre-lubed stabs and very nice quality doubleshot pbs keycaps. Durgod is sort of like the Chinese version of Leopold. They punch above their weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lord Stimperor posted:

Maybe I'm a peasant but I kinda always come back to browns, even from zealios

Boards with browns just feel kind a fluffy without being mushy, if that makes sense

You can have boards that are fluffy without being mushy. That's what I prefer, you need a combination of good linears are soft and smooth to type on, but with a solid chassis that still feels sturdy. Then again, it's like arguing over which whiskey tastes the best, it's mostly all preference. There's nothing wrong with liking browns, as long as you like the feeling then all's good. The issue is that some people think they like a certain style of switch until they try alternatives. That was the case with me, I thought browns were my type and that linear switches were stupid until I tried good linears in a good board and then I was converted.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nondescript Van posted:

Cherry browns were the tactile switch for years purely by accident and then everybody else was like "I bet I could do that better" and everybody else was right.

I wonder if Cherry is going to shake their survivor syndrome. They survived the "dark ages" by sticking to the basics and basically running their tooling until it started literally deteriorating. It led them to being essentially the last company standing for a period, but now their unwillingness to innovate is going to bite them in the rear end. Especially now that they can't rely on patents to muscle out the competition. Now it's open season on MX-style switches and everyone else is pretty much doing a better job across the board.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Doccykins posted:

Corsair K70 Mk2 (might make some of the more hardcore keyboard warriors hurl but it fits requirements. I am absolutely not wedded to RGB backlighting)

I would recommend a Durgod keyboard first, but if you like that corsair, you should be able to get the older version for quite a bit cheaper new. Look for k70s without rgb. I had one and it's perfectly fine so long as the aesthetic works for you. I found the font to be a bit ugly, but that's up to taste and you could always swap out the keys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087JW8NWM/ref=twister_B087JV8R1D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The Durgod doesn't have dedicated media keys, but they are there on the second layer. It's not hard getting used to holding the function key before you hit f1.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Also, we joke about brown switches, but it mostly applies to the time before Cherry did their retooling. The browns that you get now are inoffensive, if lacking in tactility. That doesn't mean you won't be happy with them, it's just that some people have very specific preferences for what their switches feel like. I personally started with Cherry browns and have since discovered that I prefer linear switches, everyone will have different tastes.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I have only ever used mx browns and I feel like they aren't tactical at all. Linear seems like it would be awful, but again I've never tried.

In my opinion, cherry browns are almost linear, just a little scratchy. Proper linear switches feel very similar, except without the scratch. Essentially they are smoother. You may or may not like it, but I started with browns and had the exact same assumption as you, until I actually tried linears and realized I much preferred them to both browns and blues. Of course you can't really know without trying them and a switch tester might give you some idea as to how it would feel to type on them, but you might want to order a linear board from Amazon, and then return it if you aren't satisfied. That's probably the only way to know for certain if you like a particular switch or not.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

It's really all about demand. Most custom mech keyboard people really, really do not give a poo poo about the numpad. As mentioned, if they do, they'd either go for a 96key/1800r layout or just a separate numpad altogether. Or it'll be some gimmick build. Personally, I would never go for a keyboard wider than a 96key or TKL ever again. There are interest checks for full sized keyboards over the years, but few are really interested.

I think the compact 1800 layout is probably the ideal form factor if you need a numpad. The majority of people probably don't even need TKL. something like a 65% that includes the arrow keys is sufficient for the vast majority of users. Also, I have a feeling that there is an enormous overlap between people who want 100% keyboards and people who are using/want to use a model-m.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just got my Leopold fc980m in and holy poo poo do the keycaps feel fantastic. The build quality of the entire thing feels great. Everything is solid, nothing bends or creeks. I'm really happy with it. I just need to get used to the space bar sound because they put some foam in it and it changes the sound from what I'm accustomed to. It's much more of a "thock" than a "clack".

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eezee posted:

What is the general opinion on wrist rests? I've always used onebut I also have the bad habit of restig my wrists in it while typing and I'm pretty sure that's just begging for an RSI.

Get this board if you want to force yourself to learn a floating typing technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWYj97Fc8E

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

use the keyboard that comes with the computer
buy a keyboard with fancy switches
build a keyboard with fancy switches
build the switches for a keyboard

contract a factory in China to reproduce an all-metal keyboard design from the 1970s

That's the most extreme step I've seen so far.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'll admit that I looked at getting a barebones GMMK as a neat hot-swapping platform, but I was driven away by the marketing. Unfortunate connotations aside, it's just cringy and I don't want to be in the position of having to explain what they mean by "glorious race" if someone happens to look at the back of my keyboard.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

That's, uh, special. I can't help but think about how wasteful the display is. Either you are sitting alone in a room and you can't see it, because it's facing away from you. Or you are sitting with someone else in the room and they can see it and they probably think you are extra obnoxious with your keyboard that is not only clacky, but also spitting out bright lights.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Finally assembled, now I just need to do reprogram a few keys and get the fixed spacebar from Drop and it’ll be good to go.

edit: Hmm, the stabilizer keys on this board are still pretty loud, praying adding a bit more grease helps. But I get the feeling it won't; I didn't skimp when I was modding them initially. Might need to find some foam to shove into the keycaps themselves.

Have you tried straightening the wires? The stab wires might be a little bent/twisted. If you can get them to lay flat on a table without rocking when you tap on them it might solve the problem.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's a really nice profile.

Those look fantastic, drat. Not only visually, but they look like they'd feel great to type on.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Supposed to be, got them from Novelkeys so I don't think they're fakes. The sound isn't rattly or pingy. Just loud on the return.

The stabilizers on my Alt board are from the same order and I don't really have any problems there. On the other hand, I'm running Box Whites on my Alt, so I just might not be noticing the noise there.

At this point the only things left I think I can do to dampen noise are:

1. Add foam between the plate and the PCB for the stabilizer switches. Not sure if that'll gain me anything since I've got foam in place for all the other switches.
2. Add foam to the keycaps.

Mine will arrive today. Can't decide if I'll end up throwing those on the new board or stick with the Zabumon.

If it's only making noise on the return, it could just be the sound of the switch. Some are just louder than others when you let off them. Depending on what kind of switches you have, you might be able to swap the spacebar switch with a silenced version that cushions the return.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I guess your best option would be to put some dense foam on the inside of the spacebar keycap to cut down on reverberation and any hollow noise that you might be getting.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

interrodactyl posted:

I still can't get over the backspace placement...it's just so far! Do you have any trouble hitting it correctly?

Just practice until you stop needing to use it. :colbert: (I kid)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Oh yeah, if any of you have a FC980C board and feel like blowing a bunch of money on it, Norbauer has preorders up for aluminum and steel replacement cases. ($545 and $1,475 :aaaaa:)

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-heavy-9-fc980c?variant=32616967209014

Uh, no. I'm happy with my default case. Can't you build a ridiculously good board from scratch at that price?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

drat that's actually a sweet layout, I actually dig that sorta squished fullsize thing, I would consider that, the extent of my soldering skills was me at 13 resoldering the laser wires back onto a few different playstations.

edit: same answer to your other question, though I'd really rather not botch my filco, though I suppose I can learn on my tenkeyless filco which I'm not that into

You could also get an fc980m, which is almost the same thing, except pre-built

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Is there anything in the 70-75% range that doesn't try to cram arrow keys in to the right modifiers? Basically what I want is something with just the "main" section and the F-row, nothing else.

I currently have a K95 and my goal is to go to something significantly more compact paired with a programmable standalone numpad and maybe a WASD pad. I want to keep the function row but everything to the left or right of the main alphanumeric section can be handled either as an overlay or on one of the other devices.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb201603_

BAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
No, I was able to find an obscure keyboard that perfectly matches his exacting requirements. He is legally obligated to buy one now. That's how this works.