Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Any retailers out there sell a grab bag of different, somewhat esoteric switches to try? I'm not super wild about buying bags of ~30 just to see if I like one and most of the testers out there are primarily Cherry and Gateron which I have some experience with already.

Really just don't want to break the bank on testing an assortment of pandas, tkc fruits, z/t-ealios, and more interesting kailhs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Built my first keeb

Tofu65 + dz65 + boba u4t + durock v2 stabs

I lubed the stabs but avoided the switches on recommendation. Had a little trouble with overtightening the stabilizers and the enter key is still a little sticky but overall it was a nice experience. Still have to buy a nicer cable and figure out QMK and all the fun stuff there.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

WASD code is hobby-space adjacent in that it comes with a choice of cherry reds, greens, clears, blues, browns, or zealios and you could desolder and put in other switches if you want.

I'll say, in its favor, that it's probably the most bulletproof board I've ever owned but it's definitely not exciting in any way.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I just cannot seem to get my stabilized keys to behave. The left shift and spacebar are fine in terms of travel but the sound is a bit inconsistent.

My enter and backspace keys, on the other hand, are a mess. They frequently stick down during regular use but I can't replicate the issue while tapping the length of the key during testing. My guess is it has to do with the angle I hit the key during regular use vs repeated, perpendicular tapping while testing.

They're on durock v2 stabs that I've lubed, mounted on a DZ65. I've tried playing around with how tight the stabs are screwed in to the board and that's helped a little bit but I'm not sure what else to play with to try to fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I hate that the nicest keycap designs are all group buys with delivery some time in the next 2 years.

Days like today I hate that this is a niche hobby so we can't take advantage of economies of scale.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I had an issue where the ctrl key on my Kickstarter K3 died and they required a video and a ton of back and forth to even acknowledge that it was an issue. I had to basically threaten to drag them on social media for them to try to fix the issue and ship me a working one. I volunteered to send the old one back but :shrug:

Keychron: decent if you never have to talk to anyone there

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

We're "sorry" but not "sorry" enough to do anything other than insult the original creator by offering him a pittance for lost income on an artistic creation.

gently caress Glorious, not just for this but for rebranding a lovely mouse, glorious pandas, and their super questionable company name in general.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Anyone seen GMK Nord available secondhand? It looks like the group buy shipped in August but a quick search hasn't turned up anything.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

DCS Solarized Dark is live and if you order in the next couple hours you get the VIM arrows kit for free.

https://thockeys.com/solarized-dark-gb/

I could only afford one set, but I got the 40's kit so it'll be pulling double duty for a bit.

Did it ship? I think it hasn't delivered yet.

You can still get the Base Kit from Daily Clack.
https://dailyclack.com/products/gmk-nord?variant=32073416212535

And the numpad/assembly/space kits from MKUltra
https://mkultra.click/gb-gmk-nord-keycaps/

e: oh yeah lol that poo poo hasn't even passed colormatching yet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/qk25br/vendor_mkultra_october_2021_update_vendor/

Ah, I guess it was supposed to ship in August not that it already shipped. I had no idea where to look for updates for any of this stuff lol. Thanks for the links.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

redeyes posted:

Yeah I don't give a crap about that. Companies do company things, not my problem.

Weird questionable ethics flex here

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Loucks posted:

Nah, disagreeing with that dude seems like a good call. If the red text has any validity they’re not worth listening to.

Why would anyone get their panties in a twist about copying key colors anyway? Who cares?

Well, the people who do the original work for one. People that want to support original artists rather than knock-off merchants too, I'd think.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ijyt posted:

Its picking colours from a pantone flipbook, it's hardly art.

hell you could poo poo out a hundred colour ways from a palette generator and they'd look better than some of ugly rear end sets that get hyped up from gmk

"I don't know why you're charging so much. My kid could make something like this!"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Loucks posted:

Is this what trolling SH/SC looks like? Is anyone charging extra for putting e.g., neon yellow caps on their keyboards because it’s “art?”

Baffling stuff here.

No one's talking about random garbage off of aliexpress. I'm referring to the small batch artisan caps of actual quality.

You seem to be under the impression that those two are the same but they are absolutely not and the companies that make knock offs of limited run caps are diluting the artist's work and affecting their bottom line.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

repiv posted:

getting mixed messages here

https://twitter.com/apiarykeyboards/status/1460811678191214597

"just make your own design, there are nearly infinite granular permutations" but also "RAMA stole that design even though the legend colour, font, profile and novelties are all different"

obviously hk gamings behavior is inexcusable, making 1:1 clones of GB sets before they even deliver, but people should probably be allowed to make brown keycaps even though someone else did brown keycaps two years ago

If you're gonna disagree with apiary at least have the courtesy of using their actual comparison tweet rather than a vague strawman

https://twitter.com/apiarykeyboards/status/1458499372912578560?s=21

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Loucks posted:

Imagine getting mad about any of this when there are actual problems in the world. :allears:

Imagine only being able to think about one thing at any given time :allears:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The biggest vuln you'll run into with keyboard software are the kind where companies make bad desktop software that exposes a webserver that runs as the SYSTEM user because it's hooked into the drivers.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

This just in: linears are pretty great.

Yuuuuup. My board has Alpacas in it right now and they're an absolute delight to type on.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Framboise posted:

Get on it! Only a maximum of 2000 will be made.

I very gladly indulged. So goddamn pretty.

Same, with a mat. It's a beautiful kit.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

interrodactyl posted:

There's vendors that sell hand lubed switches (e.g. loobedswitches) that you can pay for as an alternative, but if you're looking for stock switches that are pretty drat good, I would suggest getting some JWICK linears, KTT Roses, or Matcha Latte switches.

The NK / JWK silks are fine but I wouldn't start with those if you want to use them stock.

Been meaning to grab some roses so thanks for the reminder. They're $2.70 per 10 pack at dangkeebs right now.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ijyt posted:

I'm miffed that I missed my chance for the 65, but might grab the 75 instead.

You can still order the 65?

https://shop.modedesigns.com/collections/keyboards/products/sixtyfive

Says its estimated delivery is in April

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Just buy hotswap.

It used to be that they were somewhat rare so if you wanted a custom you’d almost always have to solder. Not so much anymore. You can get very good keyboards that don’t need any soldering and it’s a much nicer experience both for folks who don’t want to worry about messing up but also as a platform to experiment with switches.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m in a loving keyboard discord now what am I becoming.

Just one?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Does a hotswap, split ergonomic board with a machined case exist that isn't the ergodox? Seems like most ergos are frankenstein-ish and the cases are usually just 2 3d printed layers.

Bonus points for via compatibility

E: looking sopecifically for a 65%

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 10, 2022

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

LionArcher posted:

If it's as popular as it seems to be on reddit/twitter, I'm guessing the clones on express will beat it's release date lol

According to the artist on discord they sold 830 basekits in the first 24 hours which is bananas

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, I talked a lot of poo poo about Keychron boards from my first experience with them, but then I went ahead and ordered a Q2 (barebones) and I think it's fantastic.

Fwiw the issue with Keychron has never been with the quality of the boards when they work. The problem is that if/when the boards fail it's an absolutely miserable experience trying to get Keychron to do anything about it aside from blame you. I backed the K3 on Kickstarter and a bunch of keys started going wonky and double pressing and/or missing presses. Trying to work with their support department was miserable. They made me record a video of me pressing the keys and a keytester on the screen indicating that the button wasn't actually pressed to verify the issue and then told me that I should find a local keyboard repair place and they'd pay for the work.

It took me a while but I finally got them to just ship me a replacement which has worked just fine but that support experience has soured me so much on the company I don't think I'll ever buy another Keychron.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

Hi friends, I am once again looking for a 65-75% split keyboard that has symmetrical halves I can tent equally, a traditional-ish QWERTY layout, low latency, and legit software/tweakability (so not Kinesis).

Does this exist yet?

Almost any ergodox variant should fit your needs if you want to build your own or go with ZSA’s Ergodox EX for a pre-built that fits your criteria.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Fn (or whatever your layer mod key is) + backspace works pretty nicely on your standard 60

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I finally, finally broke down and order a Mode Sonnet but it’s on back order for a month while I wait for black bottoms (that they oversold) to come back in stock :negative:

Mode makes such incredibly good stuff. I have a 65 and I’m genuinely thinking about ordering an Envoy even though they’re basically the same board.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

I got a 65 and it’s glorious but I still want to get an Envoy just because

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The Grumbles posted:

I love my Air60, but as it's almost entirely used for when my laptop is docked at my desk nowadays, I'm kind of missing the lack of function/media keys. I don't really want to go out and get a whole new keyboard, but an (ideally wireless) knob + buttons would be ideal. Just something I can set up on my desk and use as a media remote. Would need to work with MacOS. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's the kind of thing where Amazon/Ebay/Etsy are absolutely flooded with cheap looking suggestions so I can't really trust Google on this one.

Isn’t the Air 60 qmk compatible? If so you could just do media controls with layers.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

:siren: GMK Mictlan is shipping/has shipped :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Philthy posted:

I just got some Outemu browns and they're junk. They have a weird ping noise to them. I wish Gaterons fit, I like my ks-9 pro yellows in another keyboard I have.

I got some Outemu silent honey peaches and they're a tiny bit scratchy but feel great. Compatible with my ergodox too. Might lube them but idk