Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Croccers posted:

When is Awful Block?

Doesn't look like there is one. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I Greyhound posted:

Are we doing two threads this time or one?

Two. This is the serious thread, the silly meme/live reaction thread is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825429&perpage=40

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

Are we doing the split live thread and chill thread like we did for AGDQ? Because that was a good idea.

Yeah, this is the serious thread and this is the live reaction thread.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Digirat posted:

Definitely looking forward to doom 2016, I just played it for the first time recently and bet it makes for a fun watch

Oh it's super fun. Doom 2016 is a great speedgame. Last AGDQ had a great any% run. This one's 100% secrets so I imagine it'll be good too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JerikTelorian posted:

How are we money-wise compared to AGDQ? I don't have a good sense of the donation progress during the event.

Yeah I've never seen one be missed. Usually Yetee jumps in and drops a huge donation if things are looking hairy.

At the moment we're $11,000 behind compared to this time last agdq, according to http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq17/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Wait a tick, I was just looking at the schedule and saw that Super Metroid is now relegated to 1:24 AM on Saturday? What happened? This used to be the end cap to the marathon and would be where they got an assload of donations toward Save/Kill the animals.

Hell they even have a Coin and Keychains for it now and it's in a dead spot?

They're about 2 hours behind schedule, it was originally earlier.

As for why it's not near the end, I dunno. Maybe last AGDQ's Super Metroid run being so terrible left a bad taste in peoples' mouths.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Caros posted:

Was that the one where one runner won by default of not dying?

No, that was SGDQ 2016. The problems with the Super Metroid race in AGDQ 2017 were
a. It was a 100% run so it's longer and you spend a ton of time just watching "x acquired" on the screen
b. Because it was a 100% run, after a certain point, there was no longer any danger of the runners dying or losing their leads
c. The couch was really unenthusiastic and didn't explain much and repeatedly told the crowd to be quiet, including one of them telling the audience to kill themselves

On the other hand, the Super Metroid Rotation run was great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hey, UA. Would a two-station setup make things easier/faster for you guys in the future?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DizzyBum posted:

So we're only a few runs away from the end. I think it's been a fantastic week. :)

Curiously, have there been any runs to completely avoid this time around? Because I can't think of any.

The worst run I saw this week was Mario Kart Wii, and even then, that's mostly due to the fact that it's a more boring category than the MK64 run that immediately preceded it. It wouldn't have been terrible if it didn't have such a tough act to follow.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

So how did Super Panga World end up getting so far under estimate?

It was submitted months ago and the runner's gotten a lot better at it since then. The run's time was mostly because you die a lot in it, and in the time since its submission, the runner's cut down on his deaths significantly.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Awful blocks are only during AGDQ, not SGDQ, unfortunately.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There are some runs where the save/loading is boring because it takes forever and you spend minutes at a time watching the runner save and load over and over (Half-Life 2) but others where it's quick enough or done not as often that it doesn't really interrupt the action, and I don't mind those. Like the Fallout New Vegas run from last AGDQ or the Might and Magic 6 run from this SGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Half-Life 1 was pretty great, too.

• Locked thread