Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KennyMan666 posted:

AwfulGDQ is only a thing at AGDQ, SGDQ sometimes goes for a weird/silly games block though.

There's also no TAS block, dwangoAC is taking some time off from marathons for life reasons, so there likely won't be any TASbot at AGDQ2018 either.
He ok? Personal issues, not health issues, I hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Woo! So SGDQ starts at noon with Halfco's Nier:Automata run? A wonderful birthday present :coolfish:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bah, I'm gonna miss the opening of SGDQ. Well, good luck Halfco, I'll be eagerly anticipating the archive!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Really? That's rad. Nowadays I just wait for the archives unless it's a run I REALLY have to see, like the undertale run.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Does vulajin really hate lttp randomizer or something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They mentioned it at the start of the marathon, and they will come up as donation incentives about a day prior to when they would be run.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Agdq is usually much bigger than sgdq, isn't it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

people tell literally anyone who commentates FP this and I'm basically 100% convinced it's an unavoidable reality of talking about that game so nah. If the game is different, I can slow it down, but FP isn't that game.

My twitter has gone apeshit about the run so I'm perfectly content with my performance. Thank you all.
boy this reply certainly doesn't smack of self-importance or anything. The initial statement wasn't even really condescending, just suggesting some things that might improve your commentary.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 4, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't they generally have a tag team for super long runs so the commentators don't get exhausted or hurt their voice from talking constantly for hours on end?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TeaJay posted:

Updated recommendations:

- NieR with Halfcoordinated - solid opener, HC just had so much fun and the PUNS, the PUNS
- Strider HD - very fast paced action, execution, mashing, OOB - that's what a speedrun is about
- E.V.O. Search for Eden - a history lesson with Darkwing Duck featuring kung-fu Dino-People and a caveman SpikeVegeta
- Freedom Planet - Solid performance from Fladervy and top-notch commentary from Punchy
- Astal - beautiful game with great commentary from Gyre
- Clustertruck - nonstop truck action with Twitch chat & dev trolling
- Omnibus - how come there's so many crazy indie driving games??
- I am Bread - anyone want toast?
- Hollow Knight - might be biased but Ourolen had good commentary throughout and the run showcased well how great the game is

I think the Halo run deserves being in the list, it's very well executed especially considering it's Legendary, where even when you're being careful can just kill you on a whim, and showed off some new tech since the last time it was ran, plus the couch was pretty good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should have 8-person Super Metroid races. Or Metroid Fusion races. Or Zero Mission races. Or...AM2R races :unsmigghh:

Digirat posted:

The oval office who publicly told an audience to kill themselves at a charity event completely soured me on super metroid for this GDQ and I'm honestly not sad to see it moved a bit more to the side for that reason alone. It's nothing against the game or how entertaining it is to watch, but I can't mentally dissociate it from what happened.
I bet you blame not liking something on the fanbase, too. Don't let lovely people ruin your enjoyment of otherwise good things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol every time the runner tries to talk during freedom planet he gets interrupted, S&P definitely talks too much, the chat recording is going nuts over it too

Very impressive run so far though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Put halo on that list friendo, it's a good run and with good commentary

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kiranamos posted:

Turning the Twitch chat entirely into emote-only mode was a far more effective change than I thought it would be.

That's an option now?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nooooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Most of the long-running RPGs tend to actually be well-coordinated with good commentary and enough to keep interest, otherwise GDQ would never sacrifice a third of a day on a single run. People complained about SMRPG and FF6 in past years for example, and both of those runs are outstanding. Some people's attention spans can't stand long runs or breaking up their run watches into chunks, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't get me wrong, I loved the SMRPG run and it's an easy second best, but Undertale just obliterated all expectations by producing an incredibly entertaining run showing off tons of bugs and keeping things fun despite totally avoiding the story, capped off with a brutal tearjerker finale donation that even the chipper announcer couldn't quite hold it in for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I almost want to recommend the Buster Busts Loose run due to how much of a joke he makes that game look like. That loving game was like Super Meat Boy hard mode for the SNES. Almost every level was just "perform this route perfectly for like 5 minutes straight or you die".

Worldshatter posted:

That was a pretty fantastic GDQ, no actually awful runs that I can think of and nearly no drama.

I like speedruns :unsmith:
apparently the major drama this time around is the breath of the wild run, because Orca submitted it after the rest of the community decided not to run it during this GDQ until more entertaining runs could be concocted.

This of course has immediately made a hard turn into "that loving attention whore tranny". Stay classy, internet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
but it was NOT. ENTERTAINING. ENOUGH.

so the person who decided to submit it rather than join in on the self-imposed refusal to run is the real monster, you see

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah, super this. The high of hitting two million in an unprecedented surge of donations, coupled with an off-beat but very optimistic game, helped created an experience that can't be replicated. I doubt the next Undertale run will recapture that feeling, but I also didn't think it'd be a good candidate for gdq in the first place so who knows.
I don't think they should ever run Undertale again unless they find a bunch of new totally incredible strats. That run itself was pretty much serendipity, I don't think they could pull something like that off again honestly.

emotionally, I mean. so many things converged on that run that it was an emotional high point for the entire GDQ.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In the future, we shall refer to meme lifespans in days...then mere hours...until they will be old, before they are even created...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This just went up 28 seconds ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IL-cQVOaYc&hd=1

speedrunning postin' vids :coolfish:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow why were people hating on the super metroid run, it's fantastic. Paddy (patty?) may not be a great commentator for super metroid but he's absolutely fantastic as a comedic foil for the other commentator.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got the new coin and two of the metroid prime shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The commentator super slam of "can I read some donations since we've seen this part already?" Was probably the highlight of what I've seen so far

• Locked thread