Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Isiah Incipio - Cell # 6

"Guard! Guard!" He shouted at the closest of his captors in the same tone he'd use on the lowliest soldier found sleeping at his post. "I too demand to see the man in charge. Immediately!" Prince Incipio had no desire to see his captor; at least not until he had his hands on Lich's Bane once more; but this hilarious riot was a perfect opportunity. If the guard was foolish enough to approach Incipio's cell without backup, the guard would soon find Incipio's hands around his neck, and then, with luck, his keys.

The captives in the cells on either side of him would make likely soldiers if he could free them. First though, he had to free himself.

Warrior Prince +4: use the voice of command to lure a guard over and murder the heck out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Cell # 6

The cell door beside mine exploded in a shower of gore. I'd already hoped to make my neighbor a soldier, perhaps he'd allow me to be his ally instead if he survived the arrival of the reinforcements the riot had brought. In any case, he'd given me my opening by distracting Pooh for a second. "What kind of soldier are you Pooh? Never turn your back to an enemy!" I thrust my war-scarred arms through the cell window and wrapped my hands around my jailor's ursine neck. Yanking with all my more-than human strength I pulled the bear's head into my cell. "Eating on duty. Disgraceful!" The fat freak's body wouldn't fit through the cell window; but that was okay. I knelt, or tried to rather; letting my weight hang from Pooh's head, only the edge of the window pressing against the base of his neck keeping my knees from touching the floor. "Are you such a disgusting slob that you forgot the key too? Or can you open the door in time to stop me from suffocating you, you sad excuse for a fighter?"

Suffocate and demoralize the guard into opening my cell +8
Use Jamezbfod's bonus for +2
Warrior Prince +4
Werewolf (strength and speed) +2.
If he dies, I guess I can try searching his body for a key.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - outside Cell # 6

When, if, things calmed down, Isiah Incipio would be embarrassed. He hadn't lost control this way since he'd slain Archlich Nheg'vaed and claimed Lich's Bane. The Bone Blade could not be wielded by a wolf. For now though, there were enemies to slay!

Isiah lifted his snout and sniffed as he stalked out of his cell. His transformation into a wolf continuing. Falling onto all fours, his bones snapped and splintered before reforming. The sound very similar to those Pooh had made in his final moments. The man disappeared and a giant, chest high wolf replaced him. Shaggy fur streaked with grey in many spots; marking the scars from a lifetime of war against the undead and their traitorous humans who served them. "Arooooo" The wolf howled the ancient battlecry of Incipio's family as he bounded down the corridor towards the guards congregating on the human warlord.

Team up with Patak to rip and tear apart the guards.
Werewolf +2

Off to a good start. Here's hoping the dice don't suddenly abandon me.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 4, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - outside Cell # 6

"No one says no to me or drugs!" The wolf's keen ears picked out the sentence even through the moaning of those not dying quickly enough. Even as a wolf, Isiah Incipio had enough mind left to be surprised to see one of the other prisoners confronting the stoic prisoner who had been in the cell beside his. Then the words registered through his bloodlust. Was the prisoner trying to use some sort of mind control power? Isiah growled deep in his throat. He hated men who twisted the wills of others. He had imprisoned the soul of the last person to try that in a place where they would be tormented forever. He hated them... Isiah didn't even realize his body had started moving until he came streaking out of the shadows; fanged maw opening wide to bite down on the presumed sorcerer's hamstring. And ankle. And foot. And most of his lower leg. Isiah Incipio was a very large wolf and has a very large mouth to match.

Helping out Shardix/Nikita with the crazy prisoner problem.
Werewolf +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - outside Cell #5

The cracking sounds of bones splintering and reforming filled the corridor. The wolf that was Isiah stretched and contorted and then rose up on malformed hind legs until he was a man once more. "Well fought strangers. I am the prince Isiah Incipio. Diademed Battle Lord and heir to the green hills and rich mountain mines of the Forest Land. Victor of more battlefields than there have been new moons since I was born. What happens next is that you follow me to retrieve that which is rightfully ours. Follow my commands and we will all be victorious once more. Hopefully no more of the freed prisoners will turn on us as this traitorous scum did. I do not like killing those who should be my allies, but I have learned not to hesitate when it proves necessary either. You have already seen the least part of my abilities in combat and our purple skinned friend seems to know something of preventing attempts to control our minds. Tell me; what skills do you possess to aid our mutual enterprise?"

Convincing the prisoners to follow me. Planning to head to the Room of Lamentful Answers next.
Warrior Prince +4

OOCly: Shardix, if you want to try to add one of the three prisoners to your two ex-guard followers that seems fair to me. One to you and two to me still gives you 3 followers to my, potential, 2.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - outside Cell #5, still

"Thank you for the sword stranger." Isiah grinned at Nikita, but his smile soon turned to a frown. The sword felt strange in his hands. How long had it been since he'd drawn any sword but Lich's Bane? He couldn't remember. Odd. He tried to work it out, oblivious to Nikita heading towards the Room of Lamentful Answers or the whispering of the other three prisoners.

"DESTRUCT DESTRUCT 4 MINUTES DESTRUCT. THE MASTER IS DEAD. RELEASE EXPERIMENT 456. EXPERIMENT RELEASED. UNLEASH BEETLE APOCALYOPSE 398. ERROR BEETLES NON-RESPONSIVE! ALERT!" Brought back to himself by the blaring alarms; Isiah shook off his odd bout of contemplation just in time to block the first swinging prisoner fist with the edge of the sword. Still, he felt strangely weak and slow. He couldn't move fast enough to either block or dodge the fists from the other prisoners. They hammered into his sides leaving dark bruises.

He was no stronger or faster than a normal man now, but thanks to his werewolf gifts, perhaps no slower or weaker either. He grinned a hungry wolf's grin as he swung the stolen sword with all his might for the traitor's necks or any other vital spot they left unguarded. He paid no attention to defense. His werewolf heritage would see mere bruises healed in just minutes, if he could only end this fight fast enough to escape.

Kill them all!
Warrior Prince +4
Werewolf +2

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax

Hefting Lich's Bane in his hand, Isiah Incipio felt whole for the first time in a long time. A dark voice whispered to him in the back of his mind. Urging him to create an army of minions. Incipio ignored the voice; for now.

He was lucky to have escaped alive, and he knew it. Best to be far away from here before anyone connected him with the fire. He did not know how he had come to this place, but the legions of the dead were still out there. Somewhere. This city was not prepared for them. Could not be prepared for them. It needed his protection. He would have to prove himself first before they took him seriously. He strode East, as best he could judge. If he kept going East, he would eventually reach the edge of the city, and at the edge, there would be guards. Guards who would recognize his skill at war and could tell him what dangers the city needed dealt with.

Going East and looking for guards who need something killed. Tentative plans to find someone who will allow him to legally murderize then skeletonize people and tolerate him building an undead army to "defend the city" with.
Warrior Prince +4 to identify and talk with the city military

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 11, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Heading E

Isiah fought down an urge to command the short gray man to provide his prince with a bath. The people here didn't know him or the proper forms of address, yet. He also ignored the Bone Blade's whispered suggestions that he follow the man home and then murder him so that he could use the man's bath. Instead, he assisted Nikita in squeezing all the information they could from the odorous little man. He had been trained from birth to sift truth from fiction and to interpret the sometimes deluded reports of scouts.

Directions secured, he would lead the way through the throng to the Black Army's camp and enlist with them at as high a rank as he could negotiate. Better to be a major than a platoon leader, but better any sort of officer than mere cannon fodder. Isiah had fought giant skeletons before, he had no wish to be amongst the unlucky first ranks who were invariably squished by the falling bodies if not by the giant's feet.

Heading out to join the mercs
Warrior Prince +4 to appear as martial and competent as Isiah's poor hygiene and penniless state allows

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 12, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Greer's Stall

Directions secured, Isiah lead the way through the throng to the Black Army's camp. As they walked he nodded approvingly at Nikita. "That was well done. I've dealt with his sort often enough to know they'd sell their own mothers if they thought it was safe. On the balance, I think I'd prefer not to mention his name or how we arrived in 'Slate-Iron City' when we find the Black Army. When we do, follow my lead. I've fought with mercenaries many times and I know something of what they're looking for in new blood. To wit, a steady courage and previous combat experience. I know you have bravery enough for two men and the scars our captor provided us with will likely pass well enough for battle scars on first examination."

Heading out to join Gaol the Black's mercs with Nikita
Warrior Prince +4 to appear as martial and competent as Isiah's poor hygiene and penniless state allows

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Merc Hollow

Isiah waited until there was a pause in the argument within then stepped inside with my head up and shoulders back. "Pleased to finally meet you Gaol the Black. You're reputation as the leader of the best company in the six cities has spread far and wide. My friend and I have traveled from distant lands to join you. In my own land I was a Diademed Battle Lord, a leader of men and victor of more battlefields than I have moons. A sudden outbreak of peace brought me in your direction. Nikita, I met along the road, when he slew several bandits that were attacking me and we convinced the survivors to follow us until our victories made them rich enough to retire. Never have I encountered a tougher man, and only a few stronger. We faced many dangers to reach you, and slew more than our share of evil sorcerers. We want nothing more than to make our weapons, our skills, and our experience available to you, the best mercenary captain anywhere. And get rich doing so, of course."

"I for example, have fought giants more than once." Isiah gave the best sales pitch he could. All he could do now was wait to see how it was received and negotiate his price up as high as he could. Not that he had much to negotiate with; as his battle worn prisoner-rags made uncomfortably clear.

Sales pitch to get a job as a merc

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 17, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Merc Hollow

Isiah, unaware of Nikita's working, appreciated the courtesy of not mentioning their ragged appearance. He grinned broadly and shook Gaol's hand. "I look forward to the opportunity to demonstrate my value and gauge that of your testers."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Proving Grounds

Isiah sighed as he saw the fancy rock they wanted him to throw. Throwing rocks wasn't much fun if there wasn't anyone standing downrange. He supposed he should be glad they weren't asking him to fetch the iron balls back like a good doggie.

He looked around for a rope to make a sling out of but didn't spot anything suitable. "Simple enough, as you say." His golden eyes glittered as he watched the mercenaries, judging their strength and technique. He hefted a few of the balls to see if any were lighter and settled on one whose handle felt good in his hand. A good omen. He paced up to the throwing line than took two steps back to give himself some room. Isiah held the iron ball at arms length in front of him then spun himself around and around in circles, building up momentum. He put the whole strength of his werewolf-enhanced musculature into channeling his momentum into the ball as he whipped around one last time and released it.

Throwing the ball at +2 from Werewolf stronk

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah rolled his shoulders to loosen them before bracing himself to power through the gauntlet. In his human form, he sucked at dodging. His werewolf blood meant he healed quickly from even serious wounds as long as they weren't dealt by silver. He was more of a rip and tear brawler than a flighty dodger. At least pain was an old friend. He'd been wounded many, many times, and even had his share of scars from the few free-willed undead smart enough to use silver weapons.

A poor dodger at best and prevented from striking back by the rules of the test, Isiah saw little choice but to try to tough the gauntlet out. A task complicated by the bone blade whispering to him to just kill them all and make them worship him in death as they should have in life.

Try to tough out the gauntlet
invoke my flaw Steeped in Violence to get a +4 and 2 FP on the grounds that Isiah doesn't know how to approach this well without just murdering everyone
possibly Warrior Prince +4 on the grounds that he's got lots of experience at being clubbed and so can take a few hits

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah thinks for a few minutes. "Interesting. I haven't memorized the solution to this riddle. First, I think the obvious, expected answer is something like -
Fill the second container; the one that can contain 5 liters with healing potion.
Pour into the 3 liter can until full.
Dump out the 3 liters of healing potion.
Pour the remaining healing potion in the second container into the once again empty 3 liter container. There are now 2 liters in the 3 liter container.
Fill the second container; the one that can contain 5 liters with healing potion.
Pour into the 3 liter can until full. There are now 4 liters in the second container; the one that can contain 5 liters.
Deliver the healing potion then hunt down and kill the rear end in a top hat caster that made healing potion that can kill you if you drink the wrong amount."

Isiah crosses his arms and glowers at the skinny green twerp. "Or, I send a private to get a 1 liter container and use that to measure out the correct dose.

Isiah bares his teeth in an expression only a fool would mistake for a smile before offering a third solution: "Or, I bring in a couple of captives from the battle my commander was wounded in and try out different doses until I find one that isn't lethal."

Isiah sighs and relaxes; then states a fourth solution: "Better yet, I send a private to fetch the company healer instead of fiddling around with mysterious magic fountains that can kill us. The healer does his job of patching up the commander and the rest of the wounded then we finish the job and come home. Since the commander is wounded, there are probably a lot of other wounded too."

I don't think I need a roll for this?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Replaced with a new, more interesting, post below.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 26, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"Good afternoon. I have seen similar games, but I am new to this city and every city I visited on my way here had different rules. Can you teach me the specific rules you play with?" Isiah had some some skill at strategy games, but he was better in the field than on the board. He would play this game cautiously and conservatively. Draw it and give him more time to work the courtiers skills he had been taught as a prince. In Isiah's eyes, this opportunity to gain the friendship and support of one who is clearly a very senior advisor is much more valuable than any trifling benefit to be gained by focusing solely on the test.

Gonna chat White Hair up and make a friend
Warrior Prince +4 for schmoozing over a wargame

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"By all means. I'll play black. Any fool can win with a better army; the true test of a leader is how he performs at a disadvantage." Isiah knew that in a game between equally skilled players, the first player in this game would have a significant advantage by being able to set the tempo. He was tempted to make use of this advantage but decided to gamble on securing a more impressive victory by playing black. That's how he justified it to himself. In truth, the murderous whispers of Lich's Bane were making the one-time prince increasingly comfortable with darkness.

Beat White Hair's pants off.
Warrior Prince +4 for strategizing up a victory

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"A great game. You nearly had me when you took my spider knight with your white wizard. Yours was the hardest test by far. I look forward to playing with you again White Beard."

Isiah followed White Beard into Gaol's tent just in time to hear about the gigant leader. "An unkillable leader? I have faced such once or twice." Isiah smiled ruefully: "Which is one or two more times than I would have liked. Have you tried fire or acid? In any case, I'm still looking forward to taking the field; almost as much as I'm looking forward to a bath. Your men really put me through my paces."

excited to fight gigants

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Gaol's Tent

Isiah addressed his new troops before leading them out: "We are going out hunting Gigagants. Many of you have fought them before. Those of you new to this company should ask your more experienced brethren how best to survive in this upcoming fight. Do your best to avoid their leader. Most weapons harm it but little. I will deal with the leader as soon as I can reach it. Some of you will die. The rest of us will be gloriously wealthy and sing your praises as we raise a toast to your memory." Isiah loved mercenaries. They were so much simpler than patriots. They knew exactly what they were fighting for. Gold and plenty of it plus the chance to hurt something.

Isiah had discussed the Black Company's last encounter with the Gigants with White Beard. They'd been fought in a cave close to a caravan route. It was likely they would still be nearby and one of the caves was perfect for ambushing a caravan that had left yesterday. The Black Company would be able to catch up to a slow caravan burdened by trade goods. Isiah would find someplace close to the site of the likely ambush on the caravan and prepare to counter-ambush the Gigants when they attacked. Hopefully the Gigants would be so busy butchering the caravan guards and merchants that they would not be able to turn to face the Black Company. Isiah idly caressed the bone hilt of his necromantic sword as he contemplated the carnage to come.

Head out and setup an ambush for the Gigants
Warrior Prince +4 for strategizing
Black Company Captain +2 for picking out a good ambush site

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - The Wilds

Isiah was just telling Nikita how pleased he was to have a fellow stranger to talk with in this strange land when Scout Leader Leroy entered with his dismaying news.

"We find out what happened to him, of course. Jenkins was supposed to be out looking for Gigants. Maybe he found them. Let the rest of the scouts know we're changing direction and to work in teams from now. Assign a pair to assist me in tracking Jenkins."

As Leroy left their command tent, Isiah called in Avram, his executive officer for the company of mercenaries. "Avram, get the men ready to move. Scout Jenkins has gone missing, and I intend to find out what happened to him before it happens to us too. I'll be tracking Jenkins myself. Keep the company close, but don't let yourself stumble into an ambush."

Isiah followed Avram out of the tent and marched to Jenkins tent. The werewolf mercenary captain smelled the scouts clothes thoroughly so he could be sure he'd recognize it then, assisted by a pair of scouts, went sniffing after Jenkins trail.

Find out what happened to Jenkins
Werewolf +2 to track with superior wolf senses, especially smell
Black Company Captain +2 to have scouts assist with tracking

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah's first reaction to the horrible change splitting open his "scout's" mouth was to shove the torch he carried right into the middle of the creature's rapidly widening four-part mouth. "Die traitor!" Though the shapeshifter was a horrible monster, still it was alive, and after a lifetime fighting with every living thing against the endless legions of the dead, Isiah still regarded all that lived as natural allies.

Trusting to the armor provided by the Black Legion, Isiah focused all his efforts on attacking with flame and the bone blade that practically leapt into his hand at the first hint of violence. The remnant of the slain archlich was always eager to shed blood.

Murder this thing with extreme prejudice
Warrior Prince +4 for warrioring
Black Company Captain +2 representing armor and equipment

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah's snarled in revulsion as the decaying corpses stumbled to their feet. His lips lengthening into a snout as the first step of his change into a wolf before he mastered himself. The struggle for control over his body gave the onetime prince enough time to realize the undead were not attacking.

"Who made you? Who do you serve?" He barked at out scouts Leroy and Jenkins. He was rocked to his core by their moaning answer of "You made us. Incipio brought us back from death."

Most of him wanted to destroy them immediately, and then kill himself as well to prevent such an abomination from occuring again. The rest of him remembered his duties as a mercenary captain though. He'd led the Black Company warriors into this mess. He owed it to them to get them back out. Both unable and unwilling to hide his disgust at their shambling gait he growled out an order to the recently risen dead: "Then you will help me protect the Black Company in death as you failed to in life. Follow me back to the camp. Lets see how fast you can go." Isiah intended to push them to march as fast as they could.

"You, shapeshifter, how can I tell your kind apart from the mercenaries they replaced?"

questioning the shapeshifter on the way back to camp.
I'm coming Shardix! (Probably too late to help, but its the thought that counts, right?)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah command voice lashed at the terrified picket. "Freeze; private Carmaggio!" Isiah told the zombies to halt then stalked forward alone to meet the picket mercenary. "Hold it right there, you cowardly maggot. Is that any way to greet your commanding officer?

Now, our scouts failed to warn us of shapeshifters. When I found them and killed the shapeshifter set to assassinate me, they returned from the dead to atone for their failure. Unless you want to find yourself amongst them you'll follow my orders exactly! First, hold out your hand." When the private did, Isiah placed two silver coins in the picket's hand and watched closely to see how he would react. When he didn't scream or writhe in pain at the touch of silver, Isiah nodded approvingly.

"Good man. I knew you wouldn't let yourself be tricked by yellow-bellied shapeshifters. Consider that a bonus. Now, find Nikita and have him line the company up for review. Shapeshifters can't stand the touch of silver, so I'm going to give everyone a bonus, yes, you'll get a second one, and anyone who doesn't want to get paid, is a shapeshifter. We'll root out any monsters by lunch time and be back on our way."

Talk my way into camp, gonna use silver bonuses to calm soldiers about dead guys and root out any remaining shapeshifters (since Isiah doesn't know Nikita killed them all already).
Warrior Prince +4 for persuasive talking skills and command authority
Black Company Captain +2 to get the silver to pay the bonuses

When I get a chance, I want to raise all the fallen mercs to serve as meatshields/shock troops. Try and keep the remaining dudes alive.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"A wise question. Onions"

"Catch." Isiah tossed Nikita a silver coin. He didn't really think the shapeshifters could have defeated the indomitable man, but best to be sure.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah had previously fetched the company pay chest from his tent and now stood on top of it. Emphasizing its presence as he addressed the assembled troops. "I could not help but notice the destruction in our camp when I returned. I know, as you know who is responsible for this. Our scouts. We trusted our lives to them. Trusted them to guard our rest and warn us of danger. Instead, they betrayed us. Allowed shape shifting monstrosities to infiltrate our camp and attack us. Betrayed many of us into death's embrace.

You, however, stood fast. Betrayed by our allies, our comrades in arms, and ambushed by unclean monsters, you held the line. You rallied to the defense of our brothers, and together you overcame where others died. For your valor and vigilance I award each of you an additional weeks pay. File leaders, call off your troops in order to receive their bonus." Isiah watched closely to see if any flinched when their bonus of silver coin touched their skin.

When the men were back in line, each having passed the test and received his reward, Isiah stepped up on the paychest again to resume his oration. "You have earned your reward, but if this company is to survive, we still must complete our contract. We must find and slay the Gigants. However, the failures of the dead leave us with too few men to do so. If we pressed forward now, most of us would never return."

"All is not lost. The failure of the dead, also provides a solution. They failed us in life, but they will not in death. Already, our scouts have risen from their grave to serve until they have wiped clean the stain of failure. So too will the dead here. The unvigilant will never cease in vigilance. The cowardly will not run again, but instead be first into battle. The slow and the unworthy will take the blows meant for us. The dead will be our shield and our sword. They who cannot die again will serve on the frontlines until they have made up for their failures, and we. We; the strong, the brave, the vigilant, will all get rich."

Isiah Incipio, one-time mortal foe of the unliving drew Lich's Bane, the Bone Blade and beckoned the dead forth to be sworn in as members of the Unsleeping Vigilance Platoon of the Black Company.

Making more zombie soldiers
Necromancy +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"Any who wish to forsake their oaths and their hope of winning future riches may go with Nikita. The Black Company has no need of those too weak in the gut to do what needs doing. More money for the rest of us when we complete this contract. Their pay, and the food will stay with us however. Lieutenant, see that the guard is doubled on the supply wagons."

"Everyone who still wants to get rich, get ready to move. We've wasted enough time here already. There are gigants to kill."

With the scouts dead, Isiah planned to have the dead lead the way. Instead of exposing traps, they could instead absorb the first rush of any ambush with the flesh. Hopefully. He'd also mix half of them in with the perimeter guard and the other half around his tent.

Nikita et. all can go. No hard feelings. Isiah isn't that crazy. Yet.
Back to hunting gigants.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 16, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Berserkers. Berserkers always caused problems. That's why the weremen of the Forest Kingdom placed such a high value on discipline. Most of them did, anyways. They were still lycanthropes and the rising of a full moon made their blood burn. Isiah had a lot of experience dealing with berserkers and fools. He would try to talk the idiots out of attacking. Once. He felt he owed it to Nikita to at least try.

"Hey, ugly! Yeah, I'm talking to you; big teeth! Nikita has, and always has had, your pay. Do you really want to fight for the sake of a bunch of warriors too cowardly to hold to their oaths just because their allies are a little odd? We're mercenaries, our allies are always loving disgusting. That's why people pay us."

Trying to use talky skills to talk the way out of the fight since Nikita has been so reasonable.
Warrior Prince +4
Black Legion Captain +2

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah had been patient. Isiah had been persuasive. Isiah had been merciful. Still these craven cowards demanded more. Now they wanted food and supplies that were properly Gaol's, not his. Still they made demanded resources the loyal soldiers would need to survive. The bone blade demanded their blood in urgent whispers and Isiah's patience was all used up.

Lich's Bane lept eagerly into Isiah's hand and in a single motion he cut the head off the nearest traitor. Tainted by the touch of the necromantic blade, the blood fountained impossibly high into the air and splashed down on the walking dead. At its touch, they lurched into murderous motion.

"Kill them all! A week's pay to the man who can kill the most of the traitors!"

Death and more death - shock tactics to try and drive the clearly cowardly traitors into fleeing
Warrior Prince +4
Black Legion Captain +2

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - challenge!

Shardix posted:

Nikita and Lt. Freda - The Wilds
"You got what you wanted. Go, before I get up and force you to kill me."
Captain Isiah Incipio laughed grimly over the beaten body of his one time friend. He stopped only when the blood from his own injuries pooled in his mouth, and he had to pause to cough it out. "That was the plan all along. I didn't want this. These deaths are on your head. If you'd controlled your traitors better they'd still be alive today." Battered but victorious he turned his back on all the traitors, Nikita, Lt. Freda, and the bare handful of surviving berserkers alike.

I am Communist posted:

One of the loyalist officers turned to Isiah and saluted.
"The day is won! Orders captain?"

The living men cheered.

The dead groaned.
Isiah returned the salute.
"Well done, son.
Strip the dead.
Finish loading the wagons.
Find who killed the most of the enemy and have them report to me for their reward.
Continue the mission until death or victory. Death is no longer cause for us to falter, so victory is guaranteed."

Turning to the dead he ordered. "Watch Nikita's followers. If they try to move before the last wagon is out of sight, kill them."

Isiah grabbed the officer's arm. "Wait. I have another reward for your loyalty." The battle with Nikita had been won, but it had also demonstrated that he would not always be available to give orders to the dead who had failed him. This was a dangerous vulnerability. How much quicker might the battle have been won if his officers had been able to order the dead as he could? The Lich's Bane whispered a solution into Isiah's ear.

The burly captain of the Black Legion and the dead picked through the unrisen dead. Perhaps it would be best to use the bodies of those who had been loyal to him for this, but he could not bring himself to desecrate their corpses. Instead, he struck deep into one of the fallen corpses with the bone blade, carving out the vertebra that joined the skull to the neck. Shaped by the necromantic powers of the remnant of the dead archlich in his sword, these would hopefully allow his officers to control the dead just as the dead's heads had controlled them in life.

making rings of undead control and handing them to my officers as the first step of creating living middle management for my undead legions
Necromancy +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Mysterious Valley, Wilds

Captain Isiah Incipio sighed in disappoint. Again the living failed him. Fell whispers in his ear urged him to slay the rest for raw materials to make better scouts but he shook off the impulse. He was not yet willing to waste loyal warriors so.

"Sending a company ahead is a good idea. Make it so. Then send a second company to follow along just close enough to keep the first in sight. We, along with the rest of the warriors will follow behind the second company. Hmm, also, set a third company to follow us, also just barely in sight. That way if the main body is ambushed our forces will be able to fall on the foe from both directions and if any of the other companies is attacked the main body will be able to fall on the ambushers from behind.

If the first company finds the missing scouts, they are to fortify the position until I arrive. I will learn who has slain them and they will learn what it means to cross the Black Legion."

Looking for the scouts, carefully and without splitting up
Warrior Prince +4
Black Legion Captain +2

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 4, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio looked down on the twisted forms of his scouts and then back up at the barely visible forms of the fog-shrouded remnant of his legion fortifying the position. "Well. gently caress." he said with sincere feeling. So sincere he said it again. "gently caress." In the fog, even if he could group everyone up, there was no guarantee he'd even be able to see them all, much less identify the shapeshifters.

"Wake up lazy bones. We have a spot of work ahead of us. And by we, I mean you, bone blade. I can't have shapeshifters infesting my command again. Raise up the shades of these fallen warriors and command them to guide me to their killers and their killer's kin. I have a mighty thirst for vengeance. A thirst great enough to slake even your thirst for blood."

Summoning the souls of the dead to identify their killers. If they can stick around to identify anyone related to their killers afterwards that'd be aces. The shapeshifters need to die forever.
Necromancy +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Lich's bane's failure shook Isiah Incipio. The bone blade had never failed him before. How else would it fail him in the future? So what if the shapeshifters were still alive. The blade should have ripped the souls from their still living bodies and forced them to serve him. This new distrust caused Isiah to sheath Lich's bane when facing danger for the first time since he'd acquired it. His fist and shield would be enough here.

Every trained fighter knows that a shield makes a handy bludgeon in a pinch. For a fighter as strong and experienced as Isiah, the black steel shield of the Black Legion was almost as handy as a mace and much harder to dodge. "Stay back!" he commanded his troops: "I don't want any of you getting close enough for them to escape by disguising themselves as one of you. I'll deal with these two myself."

Bludgeoning the shapeshifters into submission. I want live prisoners who can lead me back to their home. The shapeshifters must all die or serve me.
Warrior Prince +4
Black Legion Captain +2 - equipment bonus from shield and armor

OOC: totally legit necromancy didn't work - Isiah's just an arrogant dick

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah regarded the odd blood stains on his gauntlet and shield. Then he shifted his cool gaze back to the shapeshifters. Back to the shipshifter blood. Back to them until he could see that they'd gotten the message. As a prince he'd been trained in all the subtle ways a diplomat might reveal his true thoughts and feelings without realizing it. That training stood him in good stead here. In a conversational, almost bored tone he addressed the two captives: "This is the second time you've attacked us unprovoked. Twice now I've splashed the ground with the blood of your kind for your folly. I would like to put an end to the strife between us. Tell me where your leader is so that I may talk with him and work out a peace agreement."

He waited patiently for them to respond. 10 seconds. A minute. 10 minutes passed. Isiah sighed and stood. "Okay. If you won't talk, your soul will." Calmly and deliberately he drew the bone blade. "I tore this out of the still living chest of a necromancer. It still hungers for the souls of the living. It whispers to me, begs me, every second of every day to let it kill. If you won't talk to me, I'll feed your soul to it and after an eternity of suffering your soul will beg me tell me everything it knows." There was a hint of weary compassion in Isiah's voice now: "Believe me. I've seen it before. Had to destroy the souls of more friends than I care to remember who were broken in just this way. Let's do this the easy way, yes?"

Intimidating/torturing the shapeshifters into leading me to their home.
Don't really want to write the torture parts so went with this instead, but yeah. Isiah is totally gonna torture them if they don't talk.
Warrior Prince +4

If this doesn't work, gonna try and feed their souls to the bone blade and see if their ghosts are any more co-operative.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 10, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I am Communist posted:

"Ok! Ok! We'll take you!" They squealed. They described an encampment on a hill where the boss who employed them was located. "Guards and pickets. Some gigants and the big one himself!"

Isiah's officers looked to him for orders.

Isiah made them repeat it until he was sure he'd gotten enough to find the location himself. He deliberately sheathed his evil sword.

"Kill them.

With fire."

Over the startled screams of the briefly living captives Isiah continued. "We move in battle order with the scouts always in sight, no more than 100 meters from the main body. We'll lose no more men or time to their tricks. Send in the undead first as soon as we reach the hill and try to keep yourselves alive and tight enough together not to be replaced. Kill them all until they break. Then, take captives.

Don't take any risks. I want all of us to live to get paid. I don't want any dead heroes today."

As the fires crackling smothered the cries of the shapeshifters the werewolf prince wrapped up his short speech. "We leave the wagons and unessential supplies behind. Remind your men to fill their waterskins and bring as many spares as they like. Killing is thirsty work and Lich's Bane whispers of blood on the air this night. Have your men form up arms width apart. We have to move fast and light, and I don't want you tiring yourselves out. The dead will march for us."

Super Marching Speed!
Necromancy +2 to make the dead march fast while carrying the living.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah frowned at the fortifications before him. Another trap. He should have known. But... Lich's Bane whispered to him that many souls were being sundered from their bodies inside, and it had not been wrong yet. At least, not where death was concerned. How to get inside and come to the aid of those these foul shapeshifters were killing?

Isiah pondered the problem as undead lined up to attack; the Black Legion falling into formation behind. Then he began to laugh. Long, full throated laughs. It was not a nice laugh. More like the bloodthirsty laugh of a hyena than anything made by man. Drawing the bone blade he sliced open his own palm to let the blade sip from his blood and give it the strength to reach deep into the fortress and wake the dead inside. He was not sure how much control he could exercise from here, but he would try to command them to make straight for the walls, killing everything in their path. That would hopefully spare any of the shapeshifter's victims who were still alive. If Lich's Bane did not twist his intent.

Walls got you down? Make zombies inside to open the door from the inside!
Necromancy +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah was torn between laughing with glee and sighing with regret. So many dead here, over so many years; and no sign of the innocent living anywhere. Despite his best efforts, it seemed he'd been too late to save them. On the other hand, there were so very, very many dead bodies that there was no need to risk the living mercenaries. His brainstorm had worked better than his wildest dreams.

In the end what decided Isiah was that he was a prince. A warrior prince true, but still a prince. A leader of men. He would follow neither of his first instincts and instead put this opportunity to good use. Rare was a commander presented with a battle so one-sided. Reaching out through the blade he urged the vengeful dead to start fires. He could see but his lieutenants could not, and they would need to see in order to understand. Isiah would take this opportunity to both instruct and test his future undead commanders on tactics. Going from man to man he would ask for their impressions on the battle. What mistakes the enemy was making; how best to utilize the skeletal long dead vs the more recently deceased zombies. And he would teach them methods to preserve their undead from excessive waste. He'd fought on the other side of this battle more times than there were years since his birth, and his experience in how to defeat undead would now serve to instruct on how to avoid getting into those losing situations now that the undead were on his side.

Playing it safe. Using the battle to further train my living leaders and maybe find an npc sub-commander or future necromancer.
Warrior Prince +4
Black Legion Captain +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah searched the fort after the battle. There was no sign of the Gigant leader the Black Legion had been hired to kill or of the leaders weapon. Unfortunate. Isiah did find 5 bottomless wells though. They made him feel uneasy as the throngs of undead did not. Good. He should feel uneasy after all he had done, and with what he planned to do next. He had the camp followers pitch his tent in the middle of them.

Eager neither to return empty handed nor to wander into yet another trap, Isiah decreed they would make camp here for a time. Rest, recover, and drill. By staying here they would be able to kill any Gigants or shapeshifters who had been away ( likely hunting caravans or other travelers ); when they returned to what had only hours ago been their home. Hopefully the leader had been away on just such a mission.

In the meantime, Kalis showed promise. Isiah would use this time to train him. Following the whispered instructions of the bone blade he would tutor young Kalis in raising and commanding the dead. Hopefully not revealing in the process that much of what he was teaching was new to him as well. The necromancers Isiah had faced had been weak, thin-limbed cretins; easily felled when confronted directly. Isiah would not permit his necromancers to be so weak. As soon as Kalis started showing promise, he would be locked into a fighting pit with an uncontrolled zombie. There he would either learn to control the dead, die, or learn to defend himself. Any of the three outcomes would be acceptable; although Isiah rather hoped he didn't die before he made himself useful.

Training a necromancer ( & killing off any stragglers)
Necromancy +2

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 20, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

"Not bad Kalis, not bad. I'm pleased with the speed with which you cast. The 10 dead you managed to raise are now your personal guard. Keep them close. You're more valuable to me alive than dead. Although... death is no longer an end is it? Necromancy is proving more useful than I expected when I first claimed this blade."

As the band traveled back, Isiah made no effort to hide the undead that marched under the banner of the Black Legion. Rather the exact opposite. He planned to stop in every village near their route and stay a day or two. He would spread word of their great victory over the Gigants, the renewed safety of the caravan routes, and recruit anyone willing to join. Especially if they could be taught archery or other useful skills like scouting.

Isiah also planned to keep the scouts in close to his army. He was running low on competent scouts and wanted to avoid losing any more to mysterious circumstances.

Recruiting on my way back to the starting city
Warrior Prince +4
Black Legion Captain +2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The first time they entered a village Lich's Bane merely hinted at how many undead warriors slumbered in the graveyard; and Isiah did not take the hint.

In the second village, Lich's Bane suggested that Isiah's army could be much larger if he only raised the dead in the graveyard; and Isiah demurred. The dead bodies there had not failed him; nor had he a pressing need.

In the third village, Lich's Bane whispered seductively of the power that could be his if only he allowed the blade to reshape the dead into armor to suit his greatness. Isiah declined again, he had no wish to have two undead artifacts fighting over him. His response must have hit home for Lich's Bane was quiescent in the next village.

Finally, and worryingly, junior necromancer Kalis asked for permission to practice by raising the dead in the graveyard; and Isiah told him to be patient. There would be more, and fresher bodies to practice on soon. There always were in his experience.

As they got closer to the city, Isiah began to worry about Gaol's reaction to the undead troops. Publicly, he made a show of looking for jobs for mercenaries to garner good will. Privately, he picked out the least "reliable" of his mercenaries for the longer and harder jobs he found. More trusted soldiers would get easier jobs or ones that promised a bit of fun depending on the men's temperaments. He wanted to make sure the men under his command would back their Dreadlord if it came down to a confrontation with the notional leader of the Black Legion.

Not raising any more dead. Yet.

Going to raise some extra capitol and work to cement the loyalty of his troops by sidelining less reliable troops on side jobs and rewarding reliable men with "good" jobs.
Captain of the Black Legion +2
Warrior Prince +2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

War. War never changed. Isiah had seen the ruin it left behind when it swept over honest mortal cities many times before and it never got any easier to stomach. Especially not know with Lich's Bane practically salivating at all the dead below.

Isiah did not know what had caused such devastation, but he knew all too well how to deal with it. How to ameliorate it. Even how to profit from it. The people of the city might not survive such terrible forces, but their gold often did. Showing no more hesitation than he did when facing any other opponent, he quickly ordered his troops, both living and dead into action. The dead had no need to sleep. They could dig through the rubble most efficiently and rescue any survivors trapped beneath, or, more likely, rescue their possessions. The living would oversee the process and search for supplies of food and uncontaminated water. Those they rescued would need both, and if anyone tried to deny them or price gouge in the face of this disaster; well; a short conversation with the Dreadlord would cure them of that notion. And the conversation would be short or they would be cured of all notions. Forever.

In the meantime, Kalis would be set to questioning the dead as to the possible locations of survivors, loot, or supplies. It would be good practice for him.

Organizing relief/looting expeditions to expand my power base. Basically moving in and providing disaster relief along with basic law and order.
Warrior Prince +4
(Last)Captain of the Black Legion +2

Will probably convert all the rotting bodies into useful undead soon to limit the spread of disease if nothing else.

• Locked thread