Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The world is is nothing but ruins; hundreds of miles of ancient wonder, architecture and empire, now overgrown, sunken or frozen, reclaimed by the wilderness and its monsters. Whatever gods these empires may have worshipped are all gone, broken or worse, and all that remains of ancient glories and divinity are the titanic beasts that roam the world, the smallest of which are the size of buildings and the largest of which are the size of entire towns. No one now living knows if they were the pets of the ancients, their weapons, or perhaps some divine curse, but it matters not. The world belongs to them now.
And yet, mortals remain. Scattered and broken, living in tribes and villages, they cling to life with trembling fingers. But among them are heroes and craftsmen; perhaps they may yet forge their own future with the bones and skin of their prey.

Heya all! i'll be running a short couple of adventures to test out the setting and mechanics of a Fate hack i'm working on. It is currently in the process of being written, but the basics are decided on, and characters can be made.
The game is about playing groups of adventures who hunt monsters, turn them into cooler equipment, and use their bodies as resources to improve their own community. As such, the game is built around tracking, hunting and killing monsters with a strong community building angle to it, as you are the defenders and monster hunters of your community.

I'm looking for 4-5 players for a pbp game, which will be relatively short, with a little over a handfull of monster hunts and adventures. The game is still heavily in development, so some things might change as we go along.

The the rules can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x1mO9kFhR_L688o4URWXQILfdVmefX5OL8W3wGANBJw
As mentioned, they are still somewhat incomplete and chaotic, and for several things, i have worked out the general systems but not put them down into a coherent explanation; e.g. advancement and community building. I will gladly answer questions, and those things should be finished by the time the game starts.
I can be found on both of the tradgame discords, and on irc at #madgod.

What i need from you
I need you to work together to decide what sort of community you are interested in your character being a part of. A forrest village? A tribe of nomadic lizard-people? a small coastal settlement? perhaps you've settled in an ancient fort or castle? At first we just need to know the general concept, then we can write up the aspects and specific stats once caracters have been chosen.
By that same token, i need you to work out the shared community aspect, though that can probably just be "From [community high concept aspect]"

I also need a character sheet from each of you. Probably best to hold off on the community aspects for a bit while the community is being nailed down.

recruit closes Monday the 10th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Interest post - I need to figure out details, but I'm definitely interested

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Interest post; will come up with something once I'm not dying from heat.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Interest marker.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I've set up a discord server, to make me easier to reach and to have a place for you all to discus characters and character relations.

https://discord.gg/2nkEwPB

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

-]Rook[-

[High Concept] Highly Energetic Apothecary
[Trouble] A Slave To His Own Stash
[Character Aspect] Likes To Work With His Hands - Like Seriously, He Gets Right Up In There
[Refresh] 4
[Community Aspect]
  • [Shared] Defenders of the Heat
  • [Individual] Doctor, Miracle-worker, and Aggressive Self-Promoter
[Skills]
  • Alchemy [+4]
  • Physique / Athletics [+3]
  • Fight / Charisma / Survival [+2]
  • Investigate / Tracking / Trapping / Bonecrafting [+1]
[Stunts]
  • Aspect: Armor-Piercing Whalebone Gauntlets
    Rook’s weapon of choice: A tightly fitted combination of leather, bone, wire, and tubing, he’s able to latch on and seek out vulnerable points - and extract the essence of the beast while its heart still pumps.
    Weapon: 1 / Once per scene, harvest one additional Esoteric Alchemy Ingredient instead of taking a boost on a success with style.
  • Aspect: Scrimshawed Kinetic Harness
    Worn under his cloak and secured snugly against his body, this cunningly enchanted device of fiber and bone gathers kinetic energy as Rook travels, to be released in short bursts that propel him in fantastic (and terrifying) leaps.
    When the enchantment is activated, Rook rolls Athletics against Fair (+2) opposition. If he succeeds, he may leap unlikely distances and perform dangerous acrobatic maneuvers without making rolls to do so, until his next turn ends. If he succeeds with style, he may instead gain these benefits for the rest of the scene.
  • Satchel of Beast Essences
    Rook’s prized possession, a satchel of components extracted from the beasts he hunts. Let the others have the flesh and bones of the creature, he delves for the organs and glands. Cleverly concocted, their concentrated essences can be used for all manner of things.
    Once per session, you may choose an Ingredient or combination of Ingredients worth 2 Craft Points. These can no longer be used normally, but you may at any point declare that you have previously made them into any equipment that they could have been made into with an alchemy roll of +4. If the equipment requires a flaw, that flaw is always It Burns Going Down.
  • Soul of Hemasr
    Once per scene, Rook may invoke his shared community aspect for effect for free, allowing him to substitute one of his community domain ratings for a skill for a single roll. This always uses the domain’s maximal rating, regardless of any stress taken, and does not force the domain to take stress.
[Stress] Physical 0 0 0 0 / Mental 0 0
[Consequences]
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

[Bio]
"They call this a post-apocalypse, but that seems like a failure of perspective. Whatever the old world was, it’s gone. Our ancestors may have lived in a luxury unimaginable to us, but what we’ve got isn’t all that bad! Stop clinging to the past and trying to get back what ‘we’ had, and look to the future - the pieces may be scattered, but we can use them to make something new. Something better.

Take monsters, for instance. By all accounts, they were a hassle in the distant past, and they’ve only gotten worse since the Troubles. Sure, they’re scary, but there’s nothing supernatural about them - they’re animals, like us. Maybe not, y’know, just like us, but they’re trying to survive out there same as we are. And, hell, they’re doing a good job at it. They’ve adapted to the world - so let’s borrow some of that. We already use their fur and their bones and their meat, let’s pull the very essence of their adaptability right out of their blood and viscera! What makes them able to hold their breath so long? Wouldn’t you love to be able to stave off the night’s chill? Hell, you’ve seen them heal from some nasty wounds - don’t you want some of that?

I do. I’m going to take it, and I’ll bring it back to all of you! And Rook Pharmaceuticals will give it to you at reasonable prices!"

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey Magnusth, quick question. If I want a fairly normal bow and a bunch of trick/magic arrows as my weapon, would that be two item stunts or one? As in the bow is personalized but not super-different from a normal bow.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey Magnusth, quick question. If I want a fairly normal bow and a bunch of trick/magic arrows as my weapon, would that be two item stunts or one? As in the bow is personalized but not super-different from a normal bow.

That's just a single stunt, yeah. Mundane weapons can basicly always be assumed.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Definitely pop in the discord server - Magnusth helped me build my dude from scratch, and he's super flexible. Off the top of my head, based on my items and what I've learned, I would guess that it's one stunt; what matters is what you think matters to your dude, and if you care more about upgrading and personalizing arrows than bowcrafting...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magnusth posted:

That's just a single stunt, yeah. Mundane weapons can basicly always be assumed.

Cool, good to know. I was thinking of a lost-technology nano-whatever quiver that lets me create special arrows as needed. I'm not sure if I want it to be:

I can spend a FP to pull an arrow that lets me either put an aspect on the target for free if I succeed with a Shoot roll, in a Zone without rolling,
or to deal +2 Stress on a successful hit.

or

This gives me +2 to Create Advantage with the Shoot skill, and grants +1 Weapon rating. I can spend a Fate Point to get an additional +1 Weapon rating or apply damage to all targets in a Zone (explosives).

I may be overthinking because it's late but I'm leaning towards the later. I may be falling into the "trying to cover every possibility" mindset.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm actually pretty interested in this, but I've never played a FATE game before. Would that be a huge detriment?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm actually pretty interested in this, but I've never played a FATE game before. Would that be a huge detriment?

Well, it means that you have more to learn, certainly!
Now, i don't think Fate is all that difficult to learn, and my Hack is fairly well in-line with Fate Core. I'm more than willing to help you learn, but at the end of the day, it is more to learn, and it's certainly a lot more to juggle during the character creation process. That said, i believe that DogKisser was also mostly (but not entirely) unfamiliar with Fate, and he seems to be doing all right, so it's not an unsurmountable issue by any stretch.

EDIT:
Note that Fate Core, the relevant fate book, as all of its contents legally available for free at https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/basics, which also has a usefull little sidebar for new players, and the pdf can be purcheased at pay-what-you-want prices, meaning for free, if nessecary.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 5, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Magnusth posted:

Well, it means that you have more to learn, certainly!
Now, i don't think Fate is all that difficult to learn, and my Hack is fairly well in-line with Fate Core. I'm more than willing to help you learn, but at the end of the day, it is more to learn, and it's certainly a lot more to juggle during the character creation process. That said, i believe that DogKisser was also mostly (but not entirely) unfamiliar with Fate, and he seems to be doing all right, so it's not an unsurmountable issue by any stretch.

EDIT:
Note that Fate Core, the relevant fate book, as all of its contents legally available for free at https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/basics, which also has a usefull little sidebar for new players, and the pdf can be purcheased at pay-what-you-want prices, meaning for free, if nessecary.

I actually already happen to own Fate Core, I just never got around to playing it (bad habit of collecting sourcebooks and never playing or even reading them), so that's not an issue. Learning the system myself isn't a huge problem, was mostly concerned if having a total newbie to it would be an issue. As it apparently isn't, officially putting an interest check here.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Carver

High Concept: Master Maker of Monster Machinery
Trouble: Take from me, I'll take back a thousandfold.
Character Aspect: Always thinking, always tinkering.
Refresh:2
Community Aspect (shared) Defenders of the Heat
Community Aspect (individual) Our best Fleshcrafter

Skills
  • Bonecrafting 4
  • Leatherworking/Fight 3
  • Notice/Trapping/Will 2
  • Physique/Tracking/Survival/Lore 1

Stunts
  • Aspect: Modular Phase-Beast Prosthetic Arm/Weapon Mount (1 refresh spent)
    After losing his right arm at the elbow, Carver toiled long to shape a replacement. At its heart is the shifting organ of a phase-beast, which with an effort of will can switch between the alternate limbs Carver has acquired and retooled over time. Currently, the selection includes a normal human arm, a giant serrated claw, and a sinuous muscular tail capped with a bony bludgeon.
    Weapon:2 / Once per scene, can mimic the property of any previously defeated monster's core ingredients. Additional activations cost 1 fate point.
  • Aspect: Heavy Master-Crafted Crustacean-Carapace Armor (1 refresh spent)
    One of Carver's finest creations, he stomps into battle clad head to toe in grey slabs of the exoskeleton of one of his tougher kills, akin to his claw arm, with the joints articulated by the thick and hardy leather of another, akin to his tail arm. Generally providing him with excellent protection, it is particularly efficacious over the piercing of sharp teeth, claws or unwisely-fired arrows.
    Armor:2 / +2 bonus to fight rolls defending against piercing attacks.
  • Reclaiming What Was Taken
    Carver has a vengeful soul, and takes particular pleasure and care when making useful tools out of the bones of things that injured him. The best revenge is forcing something's essence to help you or the community forevermore.
    +2 to Bonecrafting when using resources from creatures that previously caused a Moderate Consequence or worse to Carver.
  • Soul of Hemasr
    “Once per scene, you may invoke your shared community aspect for effect for free, allowing you to substitute one of your community domain ratings for a skill for a single roll. This always uses the domain’s maximal rating, regardless of any stress taken, and does not force the domain to take stress.“

Stress
Physical 0 0 0
Mental 0 0 0

Consequences
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Bio
I gave my right arm to become a monster hunter.

I mean that quite literally. I was content to be our people's smith and craftsman, happy to help when we were threatened, but not much of one to actively seek out the beasts. All that changed when the giant vermin made it personal. This giant, crab-like thing causing a ruckus down at the harbor, all hands needed. As you do, we stormed in... bastard was fast. I suppose I can count myself lucky, old Fletcher got caught by the neck. Hard to count your blessings when your livelihood is reduced to a bleeding stump and your blade is gone. They tell me I helped batter it to death with my shield, don't really remember much of it.

What use is a one-armed craftsman? I didn't like the answer. I didn't like the pity, the scorn, the whispered asides about me not lasting the winter. Made my blood boil, and made me want to do something about it. There was this strange phasing thing they brought back soon after, in and out of reality, not all there, but what was not there could come to the fore. Gave me a few ideas, but working one-handedly made it a real struggle. It worked, though: I made it answer to my will, and I made it a part of me. Gave me a way to add a few more parts, including a new arm. Doesn't mean I forgave them what I'd been through, oh no. I'm not the forgiving type. Decided to take a more active role in picking up the parts here on in, took real pleasure in making something useful out of that drat crab to keep me safe when doing it.

I'll be happy to make you something special, sure. Just make sure you put it to good use keeping our place secure.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 3, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Help me out, folks; I'm having trouble coming up with my Trick Arrows stunt.

Basically I primarily want arrows that'd let me create advantages that normally wouldn't be possible with a bow and arrow; using a flare arrow to make something Blinded, oil slicks to make a zone Slippery, stuff like that. But I also want to have access to things like rope arrows (swing around) or explosive/armor piercing, although those would probably require a FP.

I'm going by this as a rough baseline:

I'm thinking too it might be easier to deal with special cases through an attached aspect than trying to jam everything into the stunt.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Just a post of the community stuff we've been tossing around in Discord, in no particular order:
  • Long after magical apocalypse, old buried and half-understood magitech all over
  • Community located in a cold, wintry environment near a large (frozen) body of water like a bay
  • Heart of community containing largest population is a pre-apocalyptic factory/warehouse that's been converted to residential use and honeycombed with housing and indoor farming
  • Old and repaired many times, but competently so - despite the run-down appearance, people have taken care of the place, and the housing inside is clean and cozy
  • Even so it's a precarious existence, and a monster breaching the walls of the main building will basically screw the community over
  • Population 1000+ but not much higher, and some of that is in satellite structures branching off the main building
  • Possible names include Aros, Aalborg, Coldenhagen, Free Harbor, Cöldënhägën̈, Cøldenhågæn, Sokoban, Wherehouse, Coldenhagȩ̛͔͎͇̲̘̬̰̝̖͆̏ͪͫͩ̾̄̚n, Eustoret, Friguscella, Warwsoer, Kulmladu, Kylmävarasto
I think that's it? I'll check and see if I missed anything.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
More community brainstorming:
  • We have constant external crises in monstrous form, suggests the need for one person to take executive decisions in times of peril. Our numbers are small, acouple hundred families, so direct democracy could still be a thing. Everyone gets a say, but the one at the top gets the unquestioned last word.
  • Suggestions for how the boss person gets decided include challenges of wit and mind (Riddles, rap battles) challenges of strength and endurance (arm wrestling, keeping a cool head under pressure) or the challenge of longevity. (Eldest elder, Good ol')
  • Socially, probably an 'everyone fights' ethos. Monster threatens the big building, you grab your pointy stick and help out. Exceptions for those tending to those unable to fight.
  • Good social support network. Someone dies defending the big house, you honour them and their family does not go hungry. Underlying motif, 'All in this together'.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Steven isn't a person, but maybe he thinks he is. He's really very nice, unlike every other monster anyone has ever encountered. He likes to be friends and go on monster hunts so he can add their body parts to himself.

quote:

Name : Steven (The NiceMonster)

High concept: The Nice Monster
Trouble: Monstrously Stupid
Character aspect: Primordial Ooze of the Frozen Sea
Community aspect: Defenders of the Heat
Individual: A monster among us?!??

Refresh: 3
Physical Stress: [][][][]
Mental Stress: [][][]

Skill pyramid

Great (+4) Physique
Good (+3) Fight Athletics
Fair (+2) Notice Survival Tracking
Average (+1) Charisma Will Investigate Stealth

Stunts
Equipment stunts:
Rending Claws
Aspect: Large Chitinous Claws from a Terror Crab
Effect: Weapon:2. You also get a +2 bonus to create an advantage with Physique by tearing something apart.

Aspect: Shimmering Scales of a Young Dragon
Effect: Armor: 1, and +1 against fire attacks

Octoface
Aspect: Lobotomized Psychic Octopus put on Head
+2 to defend with will against psychic attacks

Other stunts:
Soul of Hemasr
Once per scene you may invoke your shared community aspect for effect for free, allowing you to substitute one of your community domain ratings for a skill for a single roll. This always uses the domain’s maximal rating, regardless of any stress taken, and does not force the domain to take stress.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 13, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Picture is temporary, picture this but broken way the gently caress down.

Name: Knight

High Concept: Reactivated Ancient Magitechnical Protector
Trouble: Is Starting To Remember, And The Memories Aren't Good
Character Aspect: Growing a Personality Based On His Surroundings
Community Aspect, shared: Defenders of Heat
Community Aspect, individual: Tool That Yearns To Be More

Refresh: 2

Skills:
- Fight (+4)
- Notice (+3) Physique (+3)
- Athletics (+2) Shoot (+2) Lore (+2)
- Will (+1) Charisma (+1) Tracking (+1) Trapping (+1)

Stunts:
[Mysterious Ancient Metal Body]
Aspect: Knight's old frozen rusted body, made of some strange unknown metal.

The metal that composes Knight is entirely unknown to the present world. It is of incredible quality, but it's also extremely old, rusted and cracked in a number of places. And no one knows how to make more of it. It's held up so far, but...

Effect: Armor (1) + On taking stress damage from an enemy attack in a scene, Knight rolls Lore against Good. Upon a success, the hits jostle some runes back into place, providing an additional point of Armor for the duration of the scene.

[Berserking Snail-Iron Lance]
Aspect: Lance tipped with the incredibly sharp shell of an Iron Snail

Made from the shell of an Iron Snail, a particularly hardy monster that fights by sticking its razor sharp shells into its prey with no regard for their own safety so that others of their species might benefit. Luckily they're not that big... Most of the time.

Effect: Weapon (2), gives a +1 bonus to Fight each time Knight takes stress damage from an enemy attack in a scene, up to +3, stacks reset at the end of a scene.

[Soul of Hemasr]
Once per scene, you may invoke your shared community aspect for effect for free, allowing you to substitute one of your community domain ratings for a skill for a single roll. This always uses the domain’s maximal rating, regardless of any stress taken, and does not force the domain to take stress.

[Magitech Power]
Before rolling, you may take a Physical Stress hit to gain a bonus to Fight equal to the amount of stress taken. The first time this stunt is used in a scene, some of that stress must be used to take a consequence. Consequences mostly are related to how old and busted Knight is. Non-essential parts fly off, runes burn out, past and current memories flash before Knight's eyes. Everytime he invokes this, he is in danger of losing what little is left of his existence.

[Ancient Weaponry]
May only be invoked after using Magitech Power results in a successful hit. Knight remembers the use of some of his more obscure internal mechanisms for a single attack action. Knight only has the resources to use one of these at first, but if he could just remember a little more... (Basically, future stunt gains in magic will go into this subcategory, not a real stunt, more of a stunt category.)

[Chest Cannon]
Knight opens up his chest compartment (-1 Armor this turn as his internals are vulnerable) and unleashes a veritable blast of pure magical power in the form of a Shoot attack with an additional +4 modifier that causes a strange combination of burning and frostbite on whatever it hits. Only usable once per scene.

Stress
Physical 0 0 0 0
Mental 0 0 0

Consequences:
Mild:
Moderate:
Severe:

Bio:

A mysterious magitech creation of ages past, Knight was found frozen in a glacier during an exploratory mission 5 years ago. Initially dormant, it was going to be scrapped for parts back at Hemasr, until an Icemaw attacked the scouting party on the way back. The fight could barely be called thus, the monster easily overwhelming the Hunters. Luckily, a man named Lucian Heatfixer had a desperate plan. Using what little knowledge he had of ancient machinery due to being a Priest-Mechanic of The Warmth, he jury-rigged Knight awake. This was a severe taboo, as activating other creations such as Knight had previously only ended in tragedy as they rampaged blindly, but somehow this incredibly specific hasty bit of repairwork, combined with the poor state of Knight's inner runic systems, led to him awakening with no directives or memories. Looking down at the one who awoke him, ignorant of the bloodshed happening around him, he asked a single question in a mechanical voice:

"What is my purpose?"

To which Lucien answered, in a blind panic:

"DEFEND ME, DAMMIT!"

The rest is history. In the years to come, Knight went from being a piece of absolute taboo to a being that is generally... Tolerated, within the community. They all fear the possibility he might go berserk, but so far he seems to be entirely capable of following his new prime directive, to Defend. But in recent months, there has an odd change in Knight. He'll linger overlong after killing a monster, he'll ask odd questions to other Hunters, or he'll be entirely quiet for long periods of time. That is because unbeknownst to the community at large, Lucien had accidentally bypassed a number of limiters on Knight's mind in his panicked repairs, and so he was changing. He was learning. And he was watching. Because he was going to decide for himself if these people of Hemasr were truly worth defending with his life, and if that is what he truly wanted to do.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 14, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LONGSHOT

High Concept: Treasure Hunting Archer
Trouble: Yeah, I Can Handle This
Character Aspect: Fame! I’m gonna live forever!
Community Aspect (Shared):
Community Aspect: Best scout in the roster

Refresh: 4

Stunts
Magitech Crystal-infusing Quiver: When wielding a bow and arrow, I can Create Advantage using Shoot on a zone, representing the use of a trick arrow. I can create advantages such as Blinded, Slippery, or Covered in Nets. The aspect applies to every target in the zone, who must each roll a separate defense. If I succeed with style, I can apply the aspect to specific targets instead of everyone.

Springbeetle Sinew Grapnel: I can move two zones for free in a conflict without rolling, as long as there's something solid (and heavy enough) I can latch on to in my target zone, not counting the ground. This movement can still be blocked by relevant obstacles or aspects.

Scout: Once per monster, when I succeed with style at an Overcome action with Tracking while tracking a monster, I can learn one of the monster's aspects for free.

Scavenger: When looting a monster, I can spend a Fate point to find an extra core ingredient.

Skills
Great (+4) - Shoot
Good (+3) - Survival, Tracking
Fair (+2) - Charisma, Notice, Athletics
Average (+1) - Deceive, Physique, Lore, Fight

Stress
Physical: [] [] []
Mental: [] []

Bio

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 13, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

So, i'm tired and should be going to bed, but..
You're all in! congratulations. More to follow when i've slept.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Listen up, nerds!
If all goes as planned, we'll start the 14th. The deadline for y'all getting things ready is therefore the 13th. Stuff that needs readying:

Your community. It needs a high concept, a trouble, and the distribution of your Domains, as well as an aspect and face for each domain. I don't have a strict system for that collaboration, but i'm figuring that y'all can figure it out. You also need to define what your shared community aspect is, though [from [Community's high concept]] is totally reasonable.

Evil Mastermind you need to finish defining your last stunt. Also, note your refresh.

Mr. Prokosh you need to make your octo-head stunt +2, instead of +1. Also, you seem to have miscalculated your refresh; afact, you should have 3?

Everyone please double-check your refresh and stress. Also, many of you, for obvious reasons, haven't done your individual community aspects, which will need doing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
We're pretty much settled on the Community Domain Aspects:

4 - Industry: Functioning Forge of the Forgotten Founders
3- Wisdom: Keepers Of Ancient Secrets
2- Community Spirit: United in Purpose, Divided in Method
1 - Fight: Huddled Together Behind Ancient Walls
0 - Stores: Frozen Ground and a Hateful Sea

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Community high concept: A Beacon in a sea of snow.
Community Trouble: The universal lure of warmth.
Community Shared Aspect: Defenders of the heat.

Community name: Hemasr.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 13, 2017

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826931 And takeoff!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Face of the Wisdon aspect:

Ariadne is the "Archivist", an ancient role handed down family lines. The purpose of the Archivist is twofold: to record the events that happen in the village (births, deaths, visitors, etc.)

The Archivist's second role is to keep and maintain the collection of ancient lore from the past. The Archivist is the keeper of shelves and boxes full of old, yellowing manuals, works of fiction, magazines, and other written words. The problem is, however, that while the pages have survived, the bindings and covers haven't. As a result, large chunks of the books are missing and what's left over are loose pages that have been mixed up over the generations.

That's not to say the records are useless; things like farming and blacksmithing were rediscovered thanks to these records. The problem is that the context for the records have been lost, and there's no easy way to tell which sheets connect to which, especially since the context these books existed under is long gone. This means that it's not uncommon for an Archivist to confuse pages from a stage play with the notes from a sociology lecture.

Ariande is dedicated to trying to piece together the remnants of ancient knowledge as best she can. The walls of the "library" are covered with sheets pinned in various patterns, with notes and cross-references spread among them like a conspiracy wall. While she is capable of gleaning insights from time to time, she's more likely to misunderstand the connections and assume that (for example) a page from a agricultural manual is from the same source as a strategy guide for an old farming video game.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Face of the Community Spirit Aspect:

Ragnir Fletchersson is a boy of about nine summers, who aspires to become a monster hunter when he reaches his majority. Until then, he remains eager and keen to help and to learn, with a bubbly, upbeat personality that tends to drag everyone elses' mood up with it. He lost his father a few years back, decapitated in a monster attack upon the harbour, but the community has supported his mother, his siblings and him in accordance and in honour of their traditions.

He is something of a scamp, his insatiable curiosity and zest for life leading him to press against quite a few taboos and restrictions, everything from sunbathing atop the great roof through to 'borrowing' a couple of pages from Ariadne the Archivist. He idolizes the heroes who go out and protect Hemasr from the monsters that beset it, and is ever eager to listen to war stories or help out with gear or trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Face of the Industry Aspect:

Lucien Heatfixer was once a standard Heatfixer, a Priest-Mechanic whose main job was to care for the day-to-day workings of The Warmth. Not particularly high in their ranks, and something of a coward, he'd probably end up living a perfectly mediocre life were it not for a particular event. Sent with an attachment of Hunters to retrieve bits and pieces of ancient magitech to aid in the maintenance of The Warmth, Lucien cursed his luck for being in such an unsafe situation, a curse that would soon manifest due to an Icemaw attack. Lucien, in a fit of cowardice and genius, jury-rigged the remains of an ancient magitech construct, now known as Knight, to defend him, with astounding success.

Lucien might've been a coward, but he was not stupid. He now had a very powerful construct under what he believed to be his unwavering command, and he made great use of it once he returned to Hemasr. Playing up his own actions, downplaying the importance of Knight and generally making poo poo up, Lucien greatly rose in the minds of the Priest-Mechanics, to the point where now, 5 summers later, he is their de facto leader, a position of great influence and power within the community. He remains a steadfast coward, but believes intrinsically that there must be progress for humanity, and thus himself, to survive, which is why he graciously lends the services of "his" defender to the Hunters, figuring they might find scraps of useful magitech out there in the snowy wilds that he can take advantage of. While he always helps the Hunters, he does so very clearly in an attempt to serve his own desires.

He's a very thin, weaselly sort of man who speaks with the sort of oily grace you'd expect from someone who spent their life trying to ingratiate themselves to others, even if he now holds one of the highest positions in the village. Has a rather hypocritical respect for rules and regulations, and tries to do everything in a highly methodical manner. The only thing that he seems to care about more than himself and rules is magitech, which is to him a true passion, and despite his personality, he's rather knowledgeable on the subject.

• Locked thread