Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's that time of year again folks...Metal Gear July. This year I wanted to play the first 3 solid games on original hardware, because my only exposure has been the PS3 collection. I started MGS2 last night...it looks basically the exact same, insanely impressive. I found out that you can use locker doors for cover, I never knew about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

It's that time of year again folks...Metal Gear July. This year I wanted to play the first 3 solid games on original hardware, because my only exposure has been the PS3 collection. I started MGS2 last night...it looks basically the exact same, insanely impressive. I found out that you can use locker doors for cover, I never knew about that

MGS2 ran at 60fps on the PS2 in 2001 iirc. Bad rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

vaginal facsimile posted:

MGS2 ran at 60fps on the PS2 in 2001 iirc. Bad rear end

I had some framerate drops when I went first person in front of flowing water but other than that its been rock solid. Ive heard MGS3 is spottier because of the denser environments

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think MGS3 runs at 30 on PS2. MGS1-3 is basically the perfect trilogy of games imo.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I love Netal Gear Solid.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I tell that to people who don't know what it is.. I tell it to people that haven't heard of Mario. MGS is the best game series ever made

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

net cafe scandal posted:

I tell that to people who don't know what it is.. I tell it to people that haven't heard of Mario. MGS is the best game series ever made

It's not even close

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dead wrong. *juggles you with Snakes down-B and down-smash for one full minute*

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Liquid Drink posted:

It's not even close

whats the best?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing more 2 now. about to fight fatman

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

whats the best?

borderlands

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot to get the non lethal pistol on big shell so I had to kill fat man, sorry fat man

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

I'm saying nothing is close to MGS. It's the best series of all time by a wide margin. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Metal Gear 2 from 1990 or whatever is a superior game to most games released today

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Johnny pooping across countries and decades ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I was checking out some codec calls in the starting room of Big Shell and found out Raiden doesn't have any blood

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

Also I was checking out some codec calls in the starting room of Big Shell and found out Raiden doesn't have any blood

seems pointless to have tons of it if it will just leak out and kill you whenever you get shot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

seems pointless to have tons of it if it will just leak out and kill you whenever you get shot

Lol. Turns out he had it all completely drained from his body before embarking on the big shell mission

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

In Training posted:

Lol. Turns out he had it all completely drained from his body before embarking on the big shell mission

Cool detail

Artificial white blood, nicknamed "milk blood," was also featured in Hideo Kojima's Policenauts, in which it was used by members of the military and the BCP's AP Unit. As in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, it suffers from the same drawbacks, requiring regular hemodialysis treatments.

A type of blood developed to improve the oxygen and nutrient transportation efficiency of blood, as well as to provide a solution to the lack of blood available for transfusions. Based mainly on substances such as perfluorocarbons and fluorescein diacetate, which were used in the latter half of the 20th century for storing organs, it is also called "milk blood", because its red blood cells are white in color. It does indeed possess superior oxygen transportation efficiency and regenerative abilities, but the heavy burden it places on the kidneys makes it necessary for them to be genetically modified and for the user to undergo regular hemodialysis before it can be used for extended periods of time. For these reasons, it is not permitted for medical use among the general public; it is presently only authorized for use within the military and in members of BCP's AP Unit. In addition to milk blood, there is a second-generation powder type made with genetically modified hemoglobin, and a third-generation type containing 100% artificial blood cells, but both of these types are still undergoing clinical trials.
A person using artificial blood has their original blood placed in cryogenic storage and can switch back to it at any time.
— Policenauts Glossary[2]

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ahhh the gamers delight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When the president grabs raidens dick and balls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/ApatheticBenevolentGarageGingerPower

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

picked up the hd remakes for vita a few years ago, couldn't get very far into them because of the controls and small screen
got the ps3 versions a month or two ago, and have been waiting for this day to play mgs2 for the first time

previously i have played mgs4, peace walker, ground zeroes, and phantom pain in that order.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been waiting for this!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

about to stream the last few hours of MGS2 https://www.twitch.tv/in_training cant wait for the colonel to tell me to turn my ps2 off

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
wasnt there some button you could push to zoom in during cut scenes in mgs2?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

R1 does yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love the weirdly out of left field boss arena you fight the RAYs on. just this floating platform of computer code that you can stand on for some reason

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think it was designed to look like VR Mission rooms just to gently caress with your head.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I love the weirdly out of left field boss arena you fight the RAYs on. just this floating platform of computer code that you can stand on for some reason
The Ray fight is one of my favorite bosses in any game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Coming off of getting my rear end handed to me by Rex, then being told over and over that Ray is fifty times stronger, then seeing a whole army of them show up was insane. Everything about MGS2 makes it a perfect sequel to MGS1.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
today i learned scott dolph in mgs2 is named after a real person named scott dolph who was kojimas personal translator and also scotty d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gExoYgUfeGo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

today i learned scott dolph in mgs2 is named after a real person named scott dolph who was kojimas personal translator and also scotty d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gExoYgUfeGo

So sick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to finish MGS2 today. Can't wait to see what my rank is. When I play 3 I'm definitely going finally do a pacifist run. Last time I did it I only killed 1 by accident and didn't realize until the end of the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finished MGS2 and found out that in the original release of the game, it didnt give you your codename in game. You had to punch in a password to a website and it would give you your clear data...lame!

and my clear code

im going to see if I can find a website that will help me interpret this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

they showed your code name at the end of mgs3 and i was equally confused

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also, elf help book, I looked it up and if you save over 13 times on Tanker mission, Mei Ling appears to start handling your saves, which is why she was in the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fJVQDl9xg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
MGS2 was my first PS2 game. the graphics and fluidity and all the little interactions with the enemies/environment blew my mind coming from N64, playing stuff like perfect dark at 10fps. it even beat half-life on the big honkin pc we got around the same time, but i guess that was a few years old at that point

also i hadn't played the MGS1 yet, just a ton of the NES game, so i had to piece together stuff from what they show you in game (and probably from like magazine articles). it actually made going back and playing that first game pretty neat

• Locked thread