Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the rudderless cardinals turning into the imploding cardinals is something we can all get behind :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mike Matheny loving sucks in at least 7 ways I can rattle off of the top of my head

I'd need a legal pad or something if I actually had to think about it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Darvish, Gray, Britton, Garcia, pretty much anyone who could bolster our pitching staff. Our starters have been injury-prone and our bullpen is gassed and full of mediocrity. I'm not fully cubsposting, we'll obviously take the division but the postseason scares the piss out of me now. Would have been nice to grab another starter if some kind.

I can't add any content beyond knowing vaguely that your bullpen has several dudes who are killing machines when they're on, but the outcome of this deadline plus your avatar is making me giggle a bit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners traded a few of their prospects for a setup guy, traded one of their own setup guys for a swing man, and our 2nd best prospect for a pitcher who's already had TJS. Neat.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/892178491994779648

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Hey is anyone else willing to give the Yankees and Red Sox more elite starters with great contracts? Keuchel maybe? It really owns hard, to me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm torn. I love both Archer and Orbit.

EDIT: Also Gio Gonzalez is doing a thing right now, going into the 9th vs Miami.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 1, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/RedbirdMenace/status/892120548486131718

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Also Gio Gonzalez is doing a thing right now, going into the 9th vs Miami.

It was broken up by the feared slugger Dee Gordon.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

You had to say it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chexoid posted:

Shapiro and Atkins are trying to distract the Jays fanbase by making us remember the time Aoki got nailed in the dick by a foul ball at the rogers centre.

I'll accept that.

I hope he still does stuff like this. Even though he was bad I really liked Aoki on the Royals because he was so damned entertaining.

He'd do poo poo like swing at a pitch coming straight at his head, or what you posted, or something just ridiculously weird looking like twice a week.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm starting to sell myself on Liriano a little bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing him out of the bullpen

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

You had to say it.

I said the bare minimum, SAS approved blurb.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

I'm starting to sell myself on Liriano a little bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing him out of the bullpen

Delicious stockholm syndrome

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, I know... Maybe he'll turn out great, who knows.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I don't know how the room got so suddenly dusty during a postgame interview but Gio's after the Nats game....

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kirios posted:

Yeah, I know... Maybe he'll turn out great, who knows.

It is longstanding Liriano tradition to cause people to forget he is Francisco Liriano.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RIP Moncada 2017-2017

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

RIP Moncada 2017-2017

That was one of the nastier collisions I've seen in a long time

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Poque posted:

I'm pretty sure Gerson Bautista was invented by a neural network

OK so I duct-taped together an RNN to generate player names based on badly scraped Wikipedia data, which gets us up to about 2009-10 or so before I have to do way more table cleanup than I'm willing to for this. (If there's a nice text file containing unicode-friendly versions of all the player names sitting around somewhere, let me know!)

The unrelenting whiteness of baseball for much of its history skews the findings a little bit, although not without some fun:

quote:

Johnny Burg
Mart McCuntin
Bred Carrisk
Bill Brown
Ron Brown
Dick Gromer
Roski Lachel
Bob Brider
Mike Harris
Jack Dorse
Johnny Marter
Jerry Giller
Joe Martin
Jeff Dunger
John Horg

...but turning the temperature up some allows the network to favor more anomalous results, like so:

quote:

Jim Harrickgs
Chrian Hornas
Morge Muller
Tobfy Deya
Edby Ellero
Bill Asserol
Jerson Bursh
Rad Martz
Bill Katker
Dave Koke
Stex Bhark
Crachy Brands
Jhick Charwer
Wendy Doreck
Pefor Ed
or

quote:

E"vie Puler
Frank Bliigle
Geord Barman
Charlie Hunks
Crud Bershniff (P)
Matt Parker
Charlias Haudpam
Deremos Lavers
John Johner
Denwad H. Mraan
Willio Claram
Brad Prupk
Kev Culdez
Sum Bel

I didn't take out any of the disambiguators, so that gets us fun things like there being more than one Crud Bershniff.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
To celebrate not being traded at the deadline, Estrada is pitching his best start of the year. :iiam:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus christ, that moncada/garcia collision

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

That was one of the nastier collisions I've seen in a long time

I'm pretty sure he knocked Garcia out cold for a second there.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm pretty sure he knocked Garcia out cold for a second there.

I was surprised that Moncada was carted off while Garcia walked off.

e: for anyone who wants to watch a guy get kneed in the head by someone running full speed:

code:
http://i.imgur.com/7HEt8Zi.mp4

iKickDogs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 1, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: Yankees win tonight. After a terrible month around the All-Star Break, they've won 9 of their last 11 games.

V: That 3-week long rebuild in 2016 was really hard you guys, thanks for all of your support.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iKickDogs posted:

code:
http://i.imgur.com/7HEt8Zi.mp4

Ugh, why did I click that :stonk:

Hopefully Garcia is only looking at a concussion and not a fractured skull, although I doubt it; I fractured my skull on a far less nasty impact. Meanwhile Moncada apparently needed to be carted off, so hopefully it's not the worst case scenario and we're now 2-for-2 in hot shot young prospects getting called up and shredding their knees.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
He's going to have to be carefully checked for whiplash and neck injuries. I hope he's ok.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

screaden posted:

Here to make you feel worse.

quote:

Matheny said of his players that talked ahead of him at Christian Day, “For them to share something that isn’t politically correct anymore, something that isn’t publicly acceptable, for them to stand up here and to share … takes a great amount of courage.”

https://www.outsports.com/2017/7/31/16067272/st-louis-cardinals-christian-day-lgbt-lance-berkman

Every time I hear about Christian Day, I keep thinking that the Cards have called up some prospect named Christian Day. Then I remember the ugly truth.

Casnorf posted:

I don't know how the room got so suddenly dusty during a postgame interview but Gio's after the Nats game....

Link? I know today is José Fernández's birthday, and I know he and Gio Gonzalez were long-time friends, and I hate myself, so link please.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

elentar posted:

OK so I duct-taped together an RNN to generate player names based on badly scraped Wikipedia data, which gets us up to about 2009-10 or so before I have to do way more table cleanup than I'm willing to for this. (If there's a nice text file containing unicode-friendly versions of all the player names sitting around somewhere, let me know!)

The unrelenting whiteness of baseball for much of its history skews the findings a little bit, although not without some fun:

...but turning the temperature up some allows the network to favor more anomalous results, like so:

or

I didn't take out any of the disambiguators, so that gets us fun things like there being more than one Crud Bershniff.

Mods please change my name to Denwad H. Mraan.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

YeahTubaMike posted:

Link? I know today is José Fernández's birthday, and I know he and Gio Gonzalez were long-time friends, and I hate myself, so link please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7fGAXMo39s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Rays are bad again and also left the backup catcher in to throw 35 pitches in the 8th. At least he touched 86 and had a hell of a curveball.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

elentar posted:

or

I love that it created a Jerson. Also Bill Asserol.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Rays are bad again and also left the backup catcher in to throw 35 pitches in the 8th. At least he touched 86 and had a hell of a curveball.

Congrats on the new SP Rays

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

OK so I duct-taped together an RNN to generate player names based on badly scraped Wikipedia data
i'm Mart McCuntin

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
RNN generated player name Jurickson Profar is upset he wasn't traded and wasn't in the lineup for the Rockhounds.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Poque posted:

I love that it created a Jerson. Also Bill Asserol.

A few other favorites:

quote:

Ho Harnadez
Skeve Crenes
Mike Gutthith
Johnny Mlip
Handon Breenke
John Joe Beer
Steve Gargel
Bull Fornen
Bout Francoh
Race Kake
Billy Eener
Cack Johmins (DB)
Ruman Mritho
Brow Manter
Jade Brott
Wautto Cackick
Rook Carvinsch
Mark Brick

If I ever get to a point where I can allow myself to reinstall OOTP or something similar, I'll make some teams up maybe.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

elentar posted:

A few other favorites:

If I ever get to a point where I can allow myself to reinstall OOTP or something similar, I'll make some teams up maybe.

I prefer your naming system to Hardball Dynasty's, which seems to just throw every first and last name in a pool and hit generate. For some strange reason the league I play in has like a dozen players named Yonder.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/892261400210358272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ammat The Ankh posted:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/892261400210358272

Johnny Cueto rides his majestic steed to Dr. James Andrews's clinic.

• Locked thread